5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of The Series
I read all the "...and Me" books and this one was definitely the best. It had the biggest plot twist in the series that REALLY surprised me.
Published on May 26, 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Parents be warned
Published on February 19, 2005 by Thoughtswordsbooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Parents be warned, February 19, 2005
So my 8-year-old daughter comes up to me and says "Mommy, why do boys like to see women naked?" Where did she get that idea? From reading "Mickey and Me." Pages 34-35 and sprinkled throughout the book the main character, a 13-year-old boy, is blantantly sexually excited by the site of naked women. He talks about seeing them all "naked as the day they were born", saying that the site was "more beautiful than the Grand Canyon", wishing that he had his camera with him, mentioning he had never seen naked women before except for Joe Jackson's wife and that was only for a 1/2 second. And then he says that the site of all these naked women has been his fantasy since he was 11-years-old.

Now, I have no doubt that the above thoughts and feelings might be typical for a 13-year-old boy, but 1)the back of my daughter's book said it was for ages 8-12 which is far too young to have the subject of lust introduced. And, even if this book was for a slightly older group, the lust element is completely inappropriate to the subject matter of going back in time and meeting great baseball players. 2) Girls, like my daughter, might also read this book looking to see the women in the women's baseball league as role models and great athletes not sexual objects. 3)No matter how typical the main character's thoughts and feelings it remains that his attitude is demeaning to women and sends a terrible message out to both boys and girls. My daughter wanted to know if she should take off her clothes for the pleasure of the men in her life!

Honestly! Dan Gutman and his publisher should be ashamed of themselves. We will certainly not be allowing anymore Dan Gutman books into our house. My kids don't need to be sexualized so young.

1.0 out of 5 stars PARENTS BEWARE, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Mickey & Me: A Baseball Card Adventure (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
PARENTS BEWARE! This book gives more than you bargain for. I was browsing baseball books at a bookstore, came upon this series and thought, "What a great idea, child travels through time and gets to meet baseball legends." I quickly bought it for my son who loves sports. What I didn't expect was the author having the main character find himself in a locker room full of naked teenage girls and then saying, "There were tall ones, short ones, blondes, and burnettes. There must have been about ten or more. I didn't want to stop to count. How come you never have a camera with you when you need one? ... This was my all-time fantasy. This had been my dream ever since I was, well, eleven. This, I concluded, must be what heaven is like." Really, why the need to pepper this children's book with sexual images. Let kids be kids. How soon so many forget that our adult brains process images and ideas differntly from a child's brain. I am sad that Dan Gutman feels he needs to add sexual content to his stories he shares with children.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, this is for kids?, March 20, 2013
I bought this book to put in my 4th grade classroom library, for those boys who crave the sports stories. However, I was seriously disappointed. There is more than one scene in the book describing a boy hiding in a locker room while a team of girl ballplayers comes streaming in from the shower, not to mention other inappropriate references throughout the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Review from a 10-year old baseball fan, January 8, 2010
A Kid's Review
I recently read Mickey & Me by Dan Gutman. Out of the 6 books in this series which I have read, it was the most disappointing. Stosh never really met Mickey Mantle until the last few pages and it was the 13 year old Mickey Mantle. In all the other books, he always meets the character he's looking for earlier on in the story. Personally, I don't recommend this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally inappropriate book, August 9, 2012
I bought this book for my 11-year-old son. Thankfully, his much older sister skimmed it first and reported to me, "This book is disgusting." Sure enough, it is. Totally inappropriate subject matter. Lust, nudity, dating older women. This has no place on a kids' bookshelf. I will never buy another Dan Gutman book again.

1.0 out of 5 stars I expected someone acully KNOWN, October 30, 2013
first it started out talking about his dad being drunk. then i was expecting Mickey MAntle not micky whoever the crap. then he sees naked girls. he does see MM but at the end. i like the rest of the series but this is crazy BAD.

1.0 out of 5 stars not what you want, February 8, 2012
Sadly, I found out about the parts referenced in previous reviews after my 10 year old son read the book. His 8 year old brother was all excited to start it and on the first page I noticed the boy was talking about his dad being drunk. I mentioned that I wasn't very happy with that and my older son said "that's not the worst of it". He was too embarassed to tell me himself, so I looked at reviews and then double-checked the book pp. 34-35. These books could be informative and entertaining on their own, so why the author feels he needs to include boys lusting after naked females is beyond me. Way to introduce that to innocent kids. It's such a shame. My boys have heard a couple of these stories on CD, but I am so put out with this that I won't be bringing any more of Gutman's books into my home. Disappointing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of The Series, May 26, 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely inappropriate for children!, June 11, 2010
Upon the recommendation of our local librarian I brought this book home for our 9 year old son who loves baseball. After reading part of the book, my son tells me (with raised eyebrows) that the boy in the story saw lots of naked women in the locker room. Sure enough, on pages 34-35 there is a scene with this boy "accidentally" ending up in a girl's locker room seeing a bunch of teenage girls naked in the shower. Not only is the boy not embarrassed, or have the decency to avert his eyes and leave the room, he goes on and on about what a fantasy it is and how he wishes he had a camera! He says, "I refused to blink or I would miss a millisecond. I was drinking it all in, like I had stumbled across an oasis in the desert." Later he comments that it wasn't the first time he had ssen a woman naked. Apparantly he had also seen Shoeless Joe Jackson's wife naked a couple of times. So apparantly this kind of thing is in other books by the same author. He concludes that "this what be must heaven is like." Sick. Absolutley sick. Instead of setting a good example for young men about the proper respect and treatment of ladies, this author encourages boys to spy on naked women and gives the impression that all women are sex objects put on this earth for the pleasure of male sexual pleasure. The author's crass and gratuitous description of naked teenage girls is downright creepy and makes me wonder if he is a closet pedophile. I would not recommend this book to anyone, but especially not to children. Avoid this author like the plague.

1.0 out of 5 stars A realistic Kid's perspective., May 7, 2013
A Kid's Review
This book is absolutely digusting. I am eleven years ld and I have read the whole series and have liked it, but when I read this book, I literally had my mouth open at the Author's complete carelessness and want for exposing to kids sexuality. This is not right. Even if you like this book, there should be a warning or something, this book is NOT for kids 8-12.

Mickey & Me: A Baseball Card Adventure (Baseball Card Adventures)
Mickey & Me: A Baseball Card Adventure (Baseball Card Adventures) by Dan Gutman (Paperback - February 17, 2004)
$5.99 $5.39