Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 19, 2005
So my 8-year-old daughter comes up to me and says "Mommy, why do boys like to see women naked?" Where did she get that idea? From reading "Mickey and Me." Pages 34-35 and sprinkled throughout the book the main character, a 13-year-old boy, is blantantly sexually excited by the site of naked women. He talks about seeing them all "naked as the day they were born", saying that the site was "more beautiful than the Grand Canyon", wishing that he had his camera with him, mentioning he had never seen naked women before except for Joe Jackson's wife and that was only for a 1/2 second. And then he says that the site of all these naked women has been his fantasy since he was 11-years-old.

Now, I have no doubt that the above thoughts and feelings might be typical for a 13-year-old boy, but 1)the back of my daughter's book said it was for ages 8-12 which is far too young to have the subject of lust introduced. And, even if this book was for a slightly older group, the lust element is completely inappropriate to the subject matter of going back in time and meeting great baseball players. 2) Girls, like my daughter, might also read this book looking to see the women in the women's baseball league as role models and great athletes not sexual objects. 3)No matter how typical the main character's thoughts and feelings it remains that his attitude is demeaning to women and sends a terrible message out to both boys and girls. My daughter wanted to know if she should take off her clothes for the pleasure of the men in her life!

Honestly! Dan Gutman and his publisher should be ashamed of themselves. We will certainly not be allowing anymore Dan Gutman books into our house. My kids don't need to be sexualized so young.
1010 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2010
PARENTS BEWARE! This book gives more than you bargain for. I was browsing baseball books at a bookstore, came upon this series and thought, "What a great idea, child travels through time and gets to meet baseball legends." I quickly bought it for my son who loves sports. What I didn't expect was the author having the main character find himself in a locker room full of naked teenage girls and then saying, "There were tall ones, short ones, blondes, and burnettes. There must have been about ten or more. I didn't want to stop to count. How come you never have a camera with you when you need one? ... This was my all-time fantasy. This had been my dream ever since I was, well, eleven. This, I concluded, must be what heaven is like." Really, why the need to pepper this children's book with sexual images. Let kids be kids. How soon so many forget that our adult brains process images and ideas differntly from a child's brain. I am sad that Dan Gutman feels he needs to add sexual content to his stories he shares with children.
on March 20, 2013
I bought this book to put in my 4th grade classroom library, for those boys who crave the sports stories. However, I was seriously disappointed. There is more than one scene in the book describing a boy hiding in a locker room while a team of girl ballplayers comes streaming in from the shower, not to mention other inappropriate references throughout the book.
on August 9, 2012
I bought this book for my 11-year-old son. Thankfully, his much older sister skimmed it first and reported to me, "This book is disgusting." Sure enough, it is. Totally inappropriate subject matter. Lust, nudity, dating older women. This has no place on a kids' bookshelf. I will never buy another Dan Gutman book again.
on January 21, 2014
Sadly, this book written for children contains an entire page about the main character watching naked teenage girls coming out of a shower room. I was under the impression the book was about baseball and would be appropriate for pre-teens. Ummmm....NO. Parents, make your own decisions but be warned that your children will be subjected to reading the 13 year old character's reaction to this event. It includes, "How come you never have a camera with you when you need one?"..."I was drinking it all in"..."This was my all-time fantasy." Completely inappropriate and about to find its home in our trashcan.
on February 8, 2012
Sadly, I found out about the parts referenced in previous reviews after my 10 year old son read the book. His 8 year old brother was all excited to start it and on the first page I noticed the boy was talking about his dad being drunk. I mentioned that I wasn't very happy with that and my older son said "that's not the worst of it". He was too embarassed to tell me himself, so I looked at reviews and then double-checked the book pp. 34-35. These books could be informative and entertaining on their own, so why the author feels he needs to include boys lusting after naked females is beyond me. Way to introduce that to innocent kids. It's such a shame. My boys have heard a couple of these stories on CD, but I am so put out with this that I won't be bringing any more of Gutman's books into my home. Disappointing!!
on March 11, 2014
No doubt when you think of baseball and "Mickey" you think of "The Mick" Mantle. He was a heckuva player. I remember that gofer ball in his last at bat. It was a tribute, and well deserved. But hey, that's not the Mickey who this book is about. That would be Mickey McGuire, a star of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League. She played for the Milwaukee Chicks in 1944, which is when Stosh pays a visit. You may know the league from the movie "A League of Their Own" but even that can't cover the action as well as a good book. And this is a good book. Go for it!
on January 8, 2010
I recently read Mickey & Me by Dan Gutman. Out of the 6 books in this series which I have read, it was the most disappointing. Stosh never really met Mickey Mantle until the last few pages and it was the 13 year old Mickey Mantle. In all the other books, he always meets the character he's looking for earlier on in the story. Personally, I don't recommend this one.
on April 19, 2016
I was expecting Mickey mantle, but of course it is someone else .I was very excited about this story until I realized that Mickey wasn't in it until the last few pages!😈 Waste of money.com!Don't even bother trying to read it.It is sooooo boring!Who cares about that other stupid Mickey! I WANT MICKEY MANTLE!😬😬😬😬
on August 5, 2013
This book was not what I expected the story is good but it has a set scene that although my nephew enjoyed I was uncomfortable with as the ladies come out of the shower. but the story helped him understand the differences from today to yesteryear which is what we hoped so he would be more tolerant of all players not just the girls.
the seller delivered as promised I am very pleased