5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I did the research. This scooter ROCKS!!!
Published on November 11, 2009 by R.I.B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, but with flaws
Got this scooter for a 3 year old, and it is a good size, and works as advertised with the front steering by leaning the handlebar instead of turning it.

However, there are a few problems with the design.

Published on March 21, 2010 by Daniel Dehner

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I did the research. This scooter ROCKS!!!, November 11, 2009
My twins just turned 3, and after seeing some kids at the park riding around on Spiderman and Radio Flyer 3-wheel scooters, the constant refrain from both of them was, "let's get a scooter!!" I researched a TON and was leaning toward the Razor Jr., but after reading the reviews that it was just too slow for some kids, and that all the child could do was push push push, I decided not to take a chance on it. Then I saw this scooter and it sounded great. I called the company, Kickboard USA to clarify the weight issue, and was told that it goes up to about 60 lbs. Okay, great. I also asked if they thought my son, who is a little behind in motor skills, would be able to manage this scooter, and after much discussion (great customer service!), I decided to buy two of these and give them a whirl. I bought blue for my son, and I knew my daughter would want pink. Also ordered two Bell helmets. Amazon shipped both right away.

Needless to say, the morning of their birthday when they opened the back door and saw two new scooters with helmets dangling from the handlebars, they were GIDDY! They both jumped on and it was slow-going and a bit awkward at first. These scooters can go fast - the kids seemed to intuitively know this, though, and took things cautiously. They didn't understand the steering concept - yet. But after an hour or so, they felt more confident and were pushing along. They'd raise their foot up for a second and then put it back on the ground and push some more. They were having a great time.

This scooter is lower to the ground than any I've seen, which makes it easy for the kids to ride. The two wheels in front make for great stability and maneuvering. Fast forward to about 2 weeks into using these scooters and both kids enjoy them a lot, but especially my son. He's a scooter fanatic! He has gotten so good at riding it and the steering just came naturally when he realized that as he leaned, it would gently turn in the direction of the lean. The brake is a great feature, but so far my kids don't really get the concept of it. They just put their foot down or sort of "hop off." I imagine as they get older and more proficient, they'll get the groove of the brake. My son now zips around with all the bigger kids at the park. The Razor Jr. and Spiderman scooter kids are envious and slower. I imagine it won't be long until they're bored with their scooters and want to graduate onto something better. I don't have that worry with these scooters. They look cool, which the kids love; they aren't "baby looking" at all. I was also so happy not to have to buy something with a television character on it!

These scooters are built to last from what I can tell. They come with some cool stickers, too. I cannot tell you HOW MANY parents have seen my kids on their scooters and sidled up to us to ask about them. Yes, they are more expensive, but for the longevity my kids will get out of them, and the peace of mind I have that they're probably the safest scooters out there for preschoolers, it was WELL worth the cost. Neither of my kids has had anything other than a minor tumble on them so far, but you know, I expect that. Kids are gonna fall. They always wear their helmets - it's a non-negotiable rule - and so far they actually think their helmets are cool (got two of the Bell Bellino Toddler helmets - love them!).

Caution: I would advise parents, however, not to let your kids ride these scooters on sidewalks or other areas where they might get away from you and risk danger. Also stay away from paved paths with inclines and dips. As I said above, these scooters can get going, even with the kids just pushing off with the foot and not fully "riding" it, and I have to hustle to keep up with my kids. We only let them ride these scooters in enclosed parks with paved paths or the cement area of our back yard.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a scooter your preschooler will LOVE, will last a good long time, and something sturdy and safe, this is the scooter. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun to describe and to ride!, May 21, 2008
Length:: 1:07 Mins

I'm not even quite sure what my son is saying about the scooter, but hopefully you can see he likes it alot and has a bunch of fun with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 3-wheeled scooter, but be careful with the brake!, October 16, 2007
Lia (Northern California) - See all my reviews
We recently purchased this scooter new online from Microstore USA, and could not be happier. Microstore shipped it quickly, the shipping was free, and it was as exactly described. We also paid less for it than the $[...] price listed by the sponsored vendor on Amazon.

As others have noted, this is NOT made by Huffy, but by Micro, a Swiss company. We actually purchased this scooter to replace our Huffy one which we had had for about 3 years. At the time we purchased the Huffy one, we had no idea that it was a knock off of one made by Micro. Our Huffy one was fine, but the plastic did chip off in quite a few places and the brake tore off a while ago.

While it remains to be seen whether our new Micro brand is more durable, I have to say from the outset that it handles much better than the Huffy one ever did. Just by putting my weight on it and leaning from side to side, I can see that the turning properties are far superior to the Huffy one. If you are unfamiliar with the scooter's design, what makes it so fabulous is that it has two wheels in front and one in the back and by leaning one way or the other, your child can easily maneuver and turn and sway. I found it interesting in viewing the Microstore website that Micro also makes other 3 wheel scooters for bigger kids - models with more bells and whistles - lest you think that three-wheeled scooters are only for preschoolers.

One thing I was surprised and a bit disappointed about when I received the scooter is that, on the outside of the box, it says the scooter IS made in China. While it may have originally be designed and built in Switzerland, if the packaging is correct, it is now manufactured in China, just as the Huffy knockoff was. This is not to suggest that the quality is poor, but I think it should be known that it is NOT made in Switzerland.

Regardless, my son loves it, it was worth the $, we were happy with Microstore USA, and so far it appears to be a superior product to the Huffy model, not to mention, in my opinion, the best 3-wheeled scooter on the market.

UPDATE - May 2008 - The scooter is still going strong, no chips, hardly any wear, and my now-5 year old still loves it as much as he did on day one!

2nd UPDATE - JUNE 2009 - Still going strong, BUT...my son broke the brake on the end off. It is not difficult to do, and is why we bought this new scooter in the first place. If your child pushed the brake up, rather than down toward the tire, the metal can bend and break off and it is not repairable. I wish I had told my son this, as it happened with the last one we had, but I hadn't. It is still usable, but with care since there is no brake to stop the scooter. I would advise you child NOT to push the brake up, but down only!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST toddler scooter out there by far, January 30, 2008
M. Larson (San Mateo, CA) - See all my reviews
This scooter is simply the best one out there - because the 2 wheels are in the front, they don't get in the way of the kids trying kicking off with their feet. And because to turn, they have to lean vs steer, I feel it is safer as it tends to just go straight. As the kids improve, they figure out how to turn, but that's what's so good, they do it at their own pace. Even though this scooter says it's for age 3, we bought it for my son's 2nd birthday because he tried someone else's and shocked us by being able to ride it well. He had tried those other 3-wheeled scooters with the 2 wheels in the back and couldn't really ride them - the design of this one is just so superior. He absolutely LOVES LOVES LOVES it and just about every day, people ask how old he is and they are shocked, they say they can't believe how well a 2-year-old can ride a scooter. But it's not him, it's this scooter! Don't waste your money on the cheap "cartoony" scooters, just get one of these, your kids will be zipping around in minutes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Per manufacturers website, the weight limit is 70 lbs; Not 44 lbs! :-), November 5, 2008
I was considering purchasing this for my 5 year girl but when I saw the weight restriction of 44 lbs, I was hesitant thinking she would outgrow it within the next year.

However, after checking out the manufacturers website, I found this when has now made me decide to purchase this safer looking scooter than others for my little girl:

"* The mini scooter is designed with a weight recommendation of 70lbs. Please note that the bottom of the scooter shows a weight limit of 20kg, which is 44 lbs. The reason for the discrepancy is that European standards dictate that weights are displayed only in increments of 20, 50 and 100kg."

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Beginning Scooter ( well worth the price )!!!, September 20, 2007
We got this for our son when he was three years old ( he's almost seven now ). It's easily the best money we ever spent! It took almost no time to learn, and before long he was cruising around full speed all over the neighborhood. Most ( if not all ) other beginning scooters have two wheels in the back, but this design is sooooo much better!!! It's way, way more stable, and yet still quicker and more fun for the child than any other scooter I've seen. It's very easy to control and quite safe to ride. Everyone always wanted to know where we got it, and in fact, we have several friends who bought one after seeing ours, and their kids were all very happy with the scooter as well. On the flip side, the people across the street didn't want to spend so much money, and so they bought a cheaper scooter - the kind with two back wheels and a bigger foot platform. Their son only rode it once that I recall in the last 3 years! Yet, he wanted to ride our son's scooter every chance he could... meanwhile, the little guy next door ( who is 3 1/2 now ) got one for Christmas when he was 2 1/2 and has ridden it almost every day since he got it, weather permitting. THIS IS A GREAT SCOOTER, and YOUR CHILD WILL ACTUALLY USE IT! IT WILL NOT COLLECT DUST IN THE GARAGE. My son moved up to a 2-wheeled Razor scooter when he turned six, but even then, he was still enjoying the little micro scooter. He rode it solid for three years and it's held up wonderfully. he would even take it to the skateboard park and got all kinds of positive comments on it from both the kids ( including the older ones ) and the parents! There is just nothing bad to say about this great little scooter. Any child would love it. It looks great. It rides great. It's small and light enough to take just about anywhere. You will get years and years of fun from this. It's the best beginning scooter anywhere and just right for kids from 2 to 6... GET IT: ) ***** THIS SCOOTER WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE "MINI MICRO PRESCHOOL SCOOTER" and is made by Huffy. You can GOOGLE it - it's still available at various stores!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, but with flaws, March 21, 2010

However, there are a few problems with the design.

1. The deck is too slender, short and flimsy. My child weighs about 30 pounds, and the deck bows down some when he stands on it. Also, he cannot put two feet side by side, or even one behind the other. He must cock them to the side to fit both on there.

2. The brake is not strong enough. This is a standard brake design for these types of scooters, but it should have more grabbing power. It is made of plastic and utilizes friction on the rear wheel which is achieved by pressing down on it with a foot. The problem is that the rider must lean back in order to get enough weight on it to work, which is tricky. This could use some kind of extension or lever sticking up so that pressure can be exerted on the brake by pushing backwards instead of down.

4. Position of handlebar is directly over the front wheels. This is also somewhat standard for scooters of this type, but Razors have the front wheel a little forward of the handlebar. The handlebar should be angled back slightly (especially since it doesn't need to be turned, just leaned) so that the center of gravity is farther back.

Overall, this is a fun little scooter as far as 3 wheelers go. Having the 2 wheels in front makes it easier to kick and coast because the rider doesn't have to clear 2 back wheels.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent scooter for 3 year old, August 20, 2007
This scooter is everywhere in London and my almost 3-year-old daughter coveted it. We debated whether or not to get it due to the somewhat high price tag. I even saw it in the store and let her try it out, but it seemed a little big/advanced for her. We finally got it for an early birthday present.

She greatly improved her skill on the scooter within 1-2 days (balancing is immediate due to the 3 wheels). It made a big difference compared to just letting her try it out in the store. Also using it on sidewalks showed the quality of the product vs. just on the store floor. The nice wheels give a smooth ride and go over small bumps easily. The frame is very sturdy and the board is plastic which makes it lightweight and does not hurt the ankles of my daughter. If you are not too tall, you can also pull her along - which I do in crowded/tricky spots, across streets, and all the while pushing a stroller as well (I'm 5'4"). I've also seen kids being towed while holding onto the stroller - great for people with more than one kid.

Well worth the money. Just make sure your child does not go too fast and be VERY careful near cars. My child did hit a large bump and fall over frontwards - but she was not going very fast and did not get hurt. May be wise to get a helmet. Don't get any imitation models!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for a 2 year old, April 23, 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mini Micro scooter (Toy)
My daughter bought this for my grandson when he was 2 years old. He was a very physically coordinated toddler but I don't think he could actually ride it until he was a bout three. The concept of leaning to steer was beyond him. Once he learned to ride it he loved it. It was great. He continued to use it until he was about 5. So for 3 and up this is a cool scooter but don't buy it for a 2 year old. It only brings frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars check out the Maxi Kick before buying the mini!, November 9, 2011
Easy Reader (Hudson Valley, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mini Micro scooter (Toy)
Loved this scooter for our girl. Think she was three when we got it. She looks so confident on it, and uses it to get places, which I LOVE. She does not feel comfortable on her two wheeler with training wheels, which she has riden only 20 times in two years. BE SURE to check out the Maxi first. These are great but PRICEY toys and the Maxi can be sized to the SAME SIZE as the Mini, OR taller for a bigger kid. Saves you from buying two, which is our mistake. Our 5 y.o. has outgrown the mini, and now we will spend another $135 on the Maxi. Could have saved ourselves $85 by buying just the Maxi two years ago!

Mini Micro Scooter - Blue