5.0 out of 5 stars A cellular miracle!
Published on March 3, 2011 by Alan

3.0 out of 5 stars So why is it we have to pay to get ATTs system working?
Published on November 14, 2011 by rtuhro

5.0 out of 5 stars A cellular miracle!, March 3, 2011
Alan (San Diego) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AT&T 3G Microcell Wireless Cell Signal Booster Tower Antenna (4G Compatible) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This works very well. My house gets terrible cell reception, no matter the carrier. I had a zboost wireless extender, which worked but only within about a 30ft radius of the base unit and was much more difficult to install than this unit. I was reluctant to spend yet even more money to get a usable cell signal in my house, but AT&T gave me a very nice offer to get one of these units, and it works extremely well. It transmits your cell signal through your internet connection, rather than relying on boosting an existing weak cell signal. I now get 4 to 5 bars throughout my 2 story house. You can tell your phone is connected to the unit because your phone's display of the carrier changes from "AT&T" to "AT&T M-Cell." Some limitations are that it only works for AT&T 3G phones, and you have to add each phone you will use via AT&T's website to work with the unit during set up, up to 10 phones total. The unit isn't particularly attractive, especially the orange "cell bar display" on the sides, but it seems very well built, markings indicating it is made by Cisco. Bottom line--it works well! No more dropped calls at home, and I can finally use my cell phone reliably in my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT&T Comps 3G MicroCell To Resolve "Verifiable" Signal Issues!, November 10, 2012
We recently moved to our new home a month ago. Cell phone communication was so poor and erratic as to be unuseable.

Called AT&T and talked to tech support. They looked at their map and told me where my two closest cell phone towers were located. They said that the cell phone towers were too far away to provide reliable service. They said that they would give me a credit on my cell phone bill for $220 to cover the purchase price including sales tax of a MicroCell from my local AT&T corporate retail store for $199.00.

The technician said that when AT&T determines that your cell phone service is inadequate that it is within their power to provide the customer with a credit on the account so that they can get the 3G MicroCell for their home at $0 net cost.

The total time spend on the phone with AT&T was about 10 minues, no hassle and a pleasure to deal with. Once the credit was issued I went to the AT&T store, picked up my MicroCell and was up in running in about 90 minutes. It works great, no more problems with bad reception in the home! Highly recommend it!

There are many cell phone boosters on the market. This is NOT A CELL PHONE BOOSTER. This device doesn't amplify the cell phone signals to and from a cell phone tower. THIS IS A REPLACEMENT for your local cell phone tower. All incoming and out going communications with this device are via your high speed internet connection in your house! Your phone traffic is routed through your Internet connection!

This is real neat solution from AT&T. The device plugs into your Internet router and acts as a mini cell phone tower within your house. In order to use the device you need to register and activate the device via the Internet and also login to you AT&T account and register the phones that can be used with the MicroCell. The system then takes about 90 minutes for the online software to configure the device and current location with the cell phone tower maps that exist within the AT&T system. After the confiuration is complete the system notifies you that the device is activated. Now when you are in proximity of your home your local cell phone tower sees that you are in close proximity to another cell phone tower (thanks to the GPS device that is active in your MicroCell) and hands off your connection to your MicroCell. Once connected to the MicroCell the AT&T tower mapping knows that you are connected to the MicroCell and all incoming and out going traffic is to be sent throught the Internet! Cool, way beyond cool! Now I have 4 to 5 bars with my cell phone and no more problems with calls!

Iphone app - "MicroCell"

In addition to managing your MicroCell via your online internet account, there is also an Iphone app that is available for download from the Itunes Store its called "MicroCell". Once you have downloaded it you can login and add additional AT&T cell phones to your account! Handy when you have company in town that are AT&T subscribers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., May 21, 2011
I ended up getting one of these because my iPhone 4 would not get more than one or two bars in my home. Most of the time, I'd show ZERO bars.

I set this microCell up which took about an hour. Five minutes to register the product with AT&T, another five minutes to set up the hardware and the rest of the time waiting for the unit to go online.

Once it was online, my phone registered five bars! I can't even get five bars at the nearby AT&T store.

Pros- Easy setup. FIVE bars!

Cons- It does go offline occasionally but it'll find its way back on. You will have to dial 1+ (555) 555-5555 even when you dial local numbers. At first I thought my service wasn't working when I tried a couple test calls and it took me a few minutes to figure out I needed to dial 1+ phone number.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works most of the time, but needs improvement, December 21, 2011
AT&T is charging for a device customers should not have to buy. I live in the Tucson Metro area and AT&T's service is not the best. AT&T says that they are improving service by constantly upgrading and installing cell towers to improve service, but I just don't see that. As a matter of fact, I've noticed a degradation in service. I had this 3G Cell Tower device comped to me, in my case because I purchased an iPad. What I found was that the device can be a bit tricky to install. For example, I had to download the manual because use a broadband modem. I also had a hard time making sense out of the instructions in the manual, but calling tech support took care of that. I find the device is not completely reliable. I don't always get four to five bars, even when I am next to the device. Ten to twenty percent of calls are dropped. The device does not hold internet connections beyond three days. So far I have the device installed for less than a week and I have had to reset it five times. That's the bad. The good is that my reception is good most of the time. Calls are dropped much less often. I was going to switch carriers but thanks to this device, I am staying with AT&T (for now). Look into getting the device for free. If you can't get it for free, then buy it here on Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars So why is it we have to pay to get ATTs system working?, November 14, 2011
We live near the Canadain border so connecting to the system across the river is a problem. This box solved that problem and provides reliable cell connection around our home. It was a little troublesome to get a spot where it could get enough GPS signal to satisfy its need to be located accurately. Wish it had a wireless network connection so i didn't have to run a network cable to it. I do wonder why I have to pay to get ATT's cell coverage up to expectation.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3G Microcell Not To Good, February 1, 2012
The biggest problem with the 3G Microcell is that even though it gives you 5 bars for signal, it still drops calls and lets your conversations' volume come and go.

On almost every call that I make over my 3G Microcell, I get complaints that someone can not hear me or that they only hear every other word. This happens on 90% of the calls I make.

I have tried all the tips and suggestions from the AT&T store with no improvement.

After posting my frustrations on a blog for the 3G Microcell, I have heard the exact same thing from many other users.

I am now looking to buy an antenna with a signal booster to see if that will work better than the 3G Microcell.

Do not waste your money or time on this product! It is just another way for AT&T to rip you off!

Mine is going into the trash, because I do not want anyone else to suffer from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth buying, April 3, 2011
This was very easy to set up, and works great. Another reviewer said you have to register the cell phone, but I never did and my phone connects to it (you can tell by the AT&T M-Cell logo on the top left corner). I have an iPhone 4, and while I used to get about 3 bars regularly, I now have a full 5. My dad has an iPhone 3GS and only got about about 1-2 bars at best, and he as well has a full 5 bars now. While it can only be used for 3G and 4G phones, most phones now are 3G+, so it shouldn't be anything you need to worry about. As for looks, we just put it on a small table by the window in the living room and you hardly notice it. It works great and I would put it anywhere just to get reception!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Awesome!!, February 24, 2011
This is great! It like having our very own tower in our house, fairly easy to setup. Our basement gets 5 bars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Microcell HOOKUP, August 23, 2012
If your Microcell does not complete all 4 steps in the setup mode, your internet download speed is not high enough so all you have to do is go to someone elses house that has UVERSE and "that" will have a real high download speed set it up there and once it registers and does not pull an error on the fourth step of activation and sends you a text that it is established, take it home and plug it in to your lower speed and it WILL work perfectly. DON'T LISTEN TO ATT AND LET THEM TELL YOU TO BOOST YOUR INTERNET SPEEDS UP AND RAISE YOUR MONTHLY INTERNET BILL. I'VE DONE IT AND IT WORKS PERFECT! I had no bars at all and they gave me Microcell and could not get it online with my entry level high speed internet and I always look for an alternative approach to things and you know there is always more than one way to skin a cat and that is how you get around that. They tried to get me to increase my internet for $25.00 more bucks a month and it took me a few days to think about setting it up at a house with higher speeds. I figured this out on my own after sending my first cell back and getting another and same results, poopered out on the 4th stage of activation. YOU WILL APPRECIATE THIS REVIEW WHEN IT FIRES RIGHT UP AND WORKS WITH ALL FIVE BARS. AMAZING HUH?

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many restrictions, January 14, 2012
J. Boggio (Rochester, MI) - See all my reviews
There are a couple things you need to know before you buy this. 1) It MUST have a GPS connection, so it has to be right next to the window or it won't function. There are GPS antennas you can buy separately, but know that this is a prerequisite. 2) It must be hard wired to an internet connection. Assuming you have those two things, you'll get a solid 20-30 feet of range at five bars. The produce works great - but with needing a GPS connection, a wired internet connection, and then only getting 20-30 feet of additional range....it's absolutely not worth buying this. I returned it the day I bought it.

Rate and Discover Movies