5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent text - don't pay attention to negative reviews
Published on March 23, 2009 by LB

3.0 out of 5 stars bad binding!
This book was assigned for a linear electronics class. I wish the practice examples peppered through each chapter included more that were fully worked out. In addition the phrasing of the exercises as well as the end of chapter exercises were unclear.

Aword of caution to used book buyers: The book I purchased came in "new" condition - but after two weeks of...
Published on January 7, 2009 by Melissa B. Chen

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent text - don't pay attention to negative reviews, March 23, 2009
LB (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microelectronic Circuits Revised Edition (Oxford Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering) (Hardcover)
I used this textbook as an undergraduate (back in the early/mid 90s), mostly as a supplement to our main texts (Horowitz and Hill - which was horrible; and Lloyd Fortney's, which was better, but still difficult in places). The biggest strength of the book (an early 90s or mid 90s edition, which I am referring to) was its extremely clear presentation of passive and active components, such as the transistor op amps. The book systematically takes you through several configurations in which opamps and transistors are used in a real setting, and shows how the cryptic rules of transistors are put into action. I could never figure this stuff out from Horowitz and Hill (a horrible book that oversimplifies things, to the point where you are unable to do real calculations, IMO). But with Sedra, you had a clear idea of the different designs, how to analyze them from the basic equations, and he includes all the relevant plots (I-V curves, Vin-Vout, etc) for each design, and all examples are presented in a nice box for pedagogic purposes. I can't think of a better book to learn the very basics of electronics. Trust me, I've looked at dozens of them. This one is the best and most pedagogic one. I can't believe the negative reviews below. If this book is used as a reference book, it is sure to help you understand how electronics works, and give you a sound foundation in how to analyze circuits.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive circuits text, August 11, 2009
I teach a junior-level analog circuits class using Sedra & Smith. I chose it for the following reasons: (1) the explanations seem thorough, detailed, and lucid; the authors don't skip a lot of steps or sweep things under the rug; there are plenty of figures to illustrate key concepts; I really like the tables they include to compare/ contrast different concepts within chapters; they have initially cumbersome but ultimately useful and clear notation for distinguishing small- and large-signal quantities; (2) the scope of coverage is excellent -- device behavior (rudimentary device physics); simple transistor circuits giving equal time to FETs and bipolar transistors; more-advanced circuits including some IC circuits; and misc. topics including op-amps, feedback, power amplifiers, etc. -- it's all in there; students who buy this book will have a useful reference for years to come; (3) there are a lot of homework problems for each sub-section; (4) S&S have good support for SPICE: the text includes the free student version of PSPICE with all the examples from the text pre-loaded.
I have a handful of nitpicks: for a 5th edition there are still too many errors; I thought their chapter on feedback was rather cumbersome and so mostly skipped it in my class; and of course even in such an enyclopedic text one wishes they had included more of some topics (my own list including more on regulators and on practical usage of analog-to-digital converters). Though given the already hefty size of the text I don't blame them.
Unfortunately, the student version of PSPICE is too hobbled, allowing only a few active elements and unable to run some of the more-complex examples from the text. Next year I am advising my students to use alternate SPICE programs.
Overall, Sedra & Smith is the definitive text for intermediate circuits courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, it's thick though, September 12, 2009
I received the book for one of my class. I was surprised by the size and weight of the book. It's a good book, explanations are thorough and it includes PSpice software that could help me doing my lab experiments using my own computer. I have never brought the book to class just because of the weight but I would definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, complete electronics book, covers more than the rest, December 6, 2012
When I first read the bad reviews some months ago I thought this book would be painful, but I find it to be just the opposite, it is a great book and a great read. The truth is that the book covers a lot, this book is thick!, its almost twice as thick compared to Boylestad's "Electronic devices and circuit theory", it is somehow more complicated than the usual more popular books out there(ie. Boylestad, Floyd) because it goes deeper than most books, HOWEVER it is very well written, the authors made a good effort trying to explain the basics as simple as possible, but they go deeper into a subject and thats when sometimes it can get a bit confusing due to the complexity of the subject, not due to the authors writting.

In my opinion, this book has several practical examples, it offers good design tips for design engineers, it offers some tips that I havent seen in any other book, but it seems that the book was also written for the aspiring physicist, so it also covers some of the less practical and more theorical side of electronics. Im pretty much sure thats what most people doesnt like, not to worry though, just skip those parts.

Ive used both the 4th edition, and the 5th edition, and both are great, yet I find the the 5th a bit better since it has more practical examples and excercises, but its certainly a must have for the aspiring or seasoned EE.

Regarding the problems, there are several of them, and they are very useful, they range from easy-hard-very hard, and there are others focused on design which are marked with a "D", some of them are more theory oriented and some are more practical.

I must also add that some of the excercises in this book are a lot harder that the ones found in other books. When I study, I usually read the same chapter from different books, I havent found 1 book (this one included) that will cover absolutely everything, some books offer better solving methods, etc... So everytime I read a chapter, I work out the problems at the end, most of the books problems are relatively easy to solve, then I'll solve the excercises on Sedra/Smith's book, and the easy ones are practically the same as the rest of the books, but the hard are considerably more complicated, and in my opinion most of them are based on a real life situation. So bottomline, if you complete the problems from this book you'll be able to easily solve almost any problem that may be presented to you in an exam.

There are a couple of reasons why im not giving it 5 stars

First: I dont understand why the first chapters are about opamps, amplification and such, that alone is enough to scare the hell out of someone who doesnt know anything about electronics, after that chapter it goes straight into basic semiconductor theory, junctions and diodes.It just doesnt make any sense to me, they should have started with the semiconductor chapter instead of opamp theory. If you just started learning about electronics, skip the first chapters and go directly to the chapter on the diode.

Second: Again, I dont know why they presented the FET transistor before the bipolar transistor. In my opinion its easier to understand FETs and MOSFETs once you understand bipolars.

In my opinion its not a total begginers book, you need to have at least some idea on semiconductors, and a good math and electrical circuit theory foundations.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Textbooks I've Ever Used, May 5, 2009
This is one of the best textbooks I've ever had. It's an excellent introduction and intermediate analysis of electronics components and their applications. The first section succinctly explains how amplifiers, op-amps, diodes, MOSFETs, and BJTs work. One chapter is devoted to each of these topics, and they are all very well written. Key points are highlighted, there are lots of tables and reference sections summarizing the results of each section's discussion, there is a section dedicated to PSPICE applications of the given chapter, there is a great summary at the end of each chapter, and there are lots of high-quality practice questions at the end of each chapter.

The second section is devoted to amplifier design, especially IC amps, and an introduction to digital circuits. There are five chapters: single-stage IC amps, differential and multistage amps, feedback, op-amps and data converter circuits (ADCs and DACs), and digital CMOS logic circuits. Just like the first section, this section of the book is very well written and explained.

The third section of the textbook is for a few selected topics. There are four chapters covering memory and advanced digital circuits, filters and tuned amplifiers, signal generators and waveform-shaping circuits, and output stages.

Each section is the perfect length for one university course, making this textbook good for three courses. The amount of material can be quite overwhelming, but the high quality of this book makes it fairly easy to learn a large amount in a short time. Overall, this is an excellent textbook that I'd recommend to any electrical engineer. I am definitely keeping it as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great text, March 7, 2013
This is an amazing text for self study but you should have knowledge of fundamentals before using this book. If you are looking for an introduction book you may want to start with Dorf/Svoboda.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply not enough context., March 6, 2014
This book covers a lot of useful information, however I agree with some of the other reviews that the introduction of concepts is out of order, and that the first chapter does specifically look like they are trying to scare the reader from entering into this field.

"Prerequisites: The prerequisites for studying the material in this book is a first course in circuit analysis. ... No prior knowledge of physical electronics is assumed. All required device physics is included, and appendix A provides a brief description of IC fabrication."

The book is definitely a college text, filled with problem sections that may be useful. The book relies heavily on math and formulas to communicate concepts. I would not suggest this book if you aren't interested in delving deeply into the math side. It is also very specific to designing circuits for IC and ASIC manufacturing. It is not an introductory text, covers very little on digital logic, and none at all on related information such as FPGA's or higher level abstractions. This is purely the electrical characteristics of circuits with a focus on manufacturing. The disc comes with PSpice 9.2 Lite edition, which the book relies on heavily for problem sets.

I'm giving it four stars mainly due to the lack of context given and it's organization. A section may have a statement "The following circuit is very important..." but neglects to tell you why you would be using this circuit in the first place, and exactly why it would be important. Where will it be used? What problem is it solving?

It reads like a book that either you are already familiar with the information, and hence you can look up important tidbits, or the kind of text you wished you could remember after graduating. As a college text, with some guidance, this would easily be a valuable textbook. If you are just beginning in electronics, or you are looking for something that covers a broad range of the subject, then you will find better texts out there. If you want to take a deep dive into the high frequency response and design characteristics of a FET or Op Amp, tuned amplifiers, astable multivibrators, and filtering techniques for high speed circuits (and related math) then you will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like it at first, but it's the best compared to the competition, March 16, 2013
I know the 6th edition is out, but I bought this used for around thirty bucks and almost identical to the 6th edition.

I didn't like the book at first, but quickly changed my mind. There are lots of worked out examples and around 100 problems at the end of each chapter. My advance analog class uses the book by Gray, but I find myself going to back to this book to refresh my memory or to see if there are any better explanations.

This book is far superior to Jaeger's book and I highly recommend it for analog devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, February 9, 2013
this book was required for school. it really was set up well, helped to fill in the large gaps not taught by my middle eastern professor

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Textbook, February 2, 2013
Used this textbook for class. It was a good read. A little more complicated than other books but the information helped out a ton when coupled with lectures.

Used & New from: $24.74