1,316 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product! Here's how to get it to work:
Published on December 23, 2008 by Zero Enna

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but tricky
Published on March 27, 2009 by D. Rand

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product! Here's how to get it to work:, December 23, 2008
First off, let me tell you - This is an amazing deal. I have 3 computers, and while this doesn't work with two of them (It gets a scratchy audio noise, I think it's a problem with NVidia chipsets), it works with the third one. The problem most people are having is that it doesn't "display video correctly". After installing it, it should be recognized as a Syntek STK1160. You'll need to change the video from PAL to NTSC (If you live in America or Japan). Go to Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras -> and right click on "Syntek STK1160" and select "Video Decoder Property". Change it from "PAL_B" (Or whatever it is) to "NTSC_M" (for America) and "NTSC_M_J" for Japan. You'll know the right one when it says "Signal Detected: 1". Enjoy ^_^

It doesn't work right with VirtualDub, but you can use AMCap (Google it) to record your video, and VirtualDub to edit and produce it.

Enjoy your AMAZING deal :D

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but tricky, March 27, 2009
D. Rand (Hernando,FL USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this to try to capture some old VHS tapes and then burn to DVD. The instructions are awful. Since my old VCR can only reproduce a maximum of 270 lines, I did the following: Load the Easycap driver on my XP machine. Insert the Easycap into a USB 2.0 port (without the extension). Go to System in Control Panel and Hardware and locate Imaging device and insure that it is there. Next (don't even load their old software) run Windows Movie Maker, click capture device, go to camera settings and make sure you have NTSB-m selected. Next click video settings (I used 320x240 good enough for my VHS), and continue following instructions to capture your movie.
Note: I did NOT get this to work on my Vista machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful little device after you get it configured properly, July 28, 2009
I bought this because I wanted a cheap way to get the movies from my DVR onto my computer. Also, I wanted to be able to lend this to my in-laws so they could transfer ALL of their VHS to DVDs. I played around with this thing for a good 3 hours and I almost returned it. I had tried the aforementioned suggestions but they weren't working for me. I finally saw a video on YouTube that showed how to configure it. I was able to get this to work on Windows Vista and Windows XP using 3 different computers (2 laptops and 1 desktop; all different video cards). Here's what I did:

1. I plugged in the device. When windows asked where the driver software could be found, I directed it to the disk.
2. After it was done installing the drivers, I installed the "Video Studio" software they have.
3. After my computer had restarted, I opened up their software (Ulead Video Studio SE DVD).
4. I clicked on the "Movie Wizard" button. (Windows Vista: If you get a message saying the color scheme has changed; ignore it)
5. I clicked "Capture"
6. From the source drop-down, I selected "Syntek STK1150"
7. Then click "Options" --> "Video and Audio Capture Property Settings"
8. Make sure "Input Source" is "Video Composite" (or "S-Video" if thats what you're using).
9. Make sure "TV System" is "NTSC" (or similar)
10. Make sure "Audio device" is "Digital Audio Interface (USB Audio)"
11. I also checked the "Preview audio USB device".
12. If it didn't appear already, you should see a live preview on the right-hand side.
13. From here, I was able to use Windows MovieMaker, AMCap, VirtualDub, Ulead, etc.

Currently, I'm using this to play game-cube games on my computer (as in right now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing For The Money, March 3, 2009
I don't know how the EasyCap works on a Vista machine, but on my XP laptop (with only a 1.8Ghz Centrino processor) it works very well for turning VHS tapes into DVD's or ISO files. The Driver is simple and straight forward to install, and I am certain that the majority of people that have complained about poor audio quality haven't taken the time to set up the Capture or Burn settings correctly. The Audio Capture settings default to 64kbs Mpeg, which will result in poor audio quality. The Audio Capture setting needs to be increased to at least 128kbs, or better yet - LPCM Audio. It is easy to overlook this, and it is critical for good audio performance - especially for concert tapes. The Ulead software takes some time to master, but it works quite well after learning it, and the quality of the DVD's or ISO files (including motion menu's and chapters) it burns/generates is very good.

It's an amazing hardware/software package for the money. If you take the time to learn the software and configure it up properly, you will be very satisfied with the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Option For Mac Users With Some Initiative and Time - Pinnacle Alternative, May 4, 2010
While I've never wanted to blow $100 on Pinnacle in order to transfer home movie VHS tapes, this turned out to be a great solution for under $10.

As a Mac user (PPC or Intel), when you order the EasyCap, although it is difficult to tell, try to make sure you are ordering the Easycap DC60 and not the DC60+. If it is under $15, it is probably just the DC60. Then, simply Google "easycap viewer ben trask" to get to his site with the free application he created and helpful instructions.

My Easycap was a newer DC60 and therefore, the EasyCap viewer application does not pick up audio. But, as Mr. Trask details on his site, you can simply connect the audio out on your VHS to the audio input found on most macs. Then, the application will automatically record the audio along with the video. You may have to play with the audio settings in System Preferences on your Mac in order to get the correct audio input source and input volume level. For macs without an audio in, you would have to resort to using something like the Griffin iMic, which adds cost unless you already have one.

The EasyCap viewer application offers good settings such as color, brightness and contrast. Be warned that even the compressed video formats take up a lot of hard drive space - about 10 gigs for 2 hours in MP4 mode. Other modes will take up even more room. Better to begin with too much than too little in my opinion, though. It is also a good idea to see Mr. Trasks comments about the speed of your hard drive, cpu, and using an external hard drive successfully with the application.

After capturing, I easily make a simple DVD using Burn for OSX. Then I make a more compressed h.264 MP4 (about 2 gigs in size) using Handbrake to keep on my hard drive, so that I can erase the original large file. Burn and Handbrake are both free.

So, if you have some time and initiative, this is a viable alternative for Mac users. I'll try to keep an eye on this review in case others have questions in the comments section. Let us know if it works out for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars These are how to make it work, excellent unit, June 24, 2010
Many people have problems to use this unit, as there is a lack of instructions. I even decided to threw it away before I found a pots on web, I am happy to share it with you so you will like this unit:

I am using Windows vista. and ESAYCAP 2.0 (version DC60).

First, check its driver: after you plugged this unit to your USB port,under your device manager, you should see "Syntek STK1150" under Imaging devices, and "USB Audio Interface" under Sound, video and game controllers. If you see yellow marks in thses two places, you will need to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. Make sure you did not plug the unit before you install the driver.

Now, configure ULead software:
1: Make sure you use the version of the ULead software that came supplied. Later versions are not compatible with analogue stream capture, only digital.

2: Start the software, select the 'Capture' tab at the top and then select 'Capture Video' (mid-screen).

3: select 'File' > 'Preferences' > 'Capture'. Make sure there is a tick in the box 'Allow access to capture device's settings'. THIS IS THE KEY STEP. Click OK when you are done.

4: Back to the main window, click the 'Options' icon (in mid-screen) and select 'Input Source'. Make sure Input Source is set to either 'Video Composite' or 'Video S-video', NOT to any setting relating to a TV tuner. If you did not do step 3, you will not be able to see the 'Video Composite' or 'Video S-video' options. Next set 'TV System' to PAL or NTSC depending on you source material (US is NTSC, UK/Europe is PAL).

5: Below that, in the audio section, make sure 'Active Device' is set to 'USB Audio Interface', otherwise, you will not ghet sound. OK when you're done.

6: Click on the 'Options' icon AGAIN, and this time select 'Capture Properties'. Select 'Video Capture Filter' from the drop-down list and click 'Properties'.

7: On the 'Video Decode' tab, select the correct video standard from the drop-down list (yes, PAL, NTSC and SECAM all have multiple standards!)

8: select the 'Image' tab and make sure you have the correct video standard and input source set here as well. OK your way back out to the main program screen.

Now everything should be working like a charm! You may have to go through some of those setting everytime you use the program.

I captured it to highest DVD resolution. The picture and sound are excellent. I played the DVD on my LCD TV, the picture and sound are better than playing the original VHS on my old CRT TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, June 9, 2009
I bought it primarily for playing my PlayStation 2 (PS2) on my notebook. It works perfectly. I read that some people here are getting problem of " video lag", no sound and no full screen options in Ulead Software. Actually it works flawlessly. Here are some tips:

1) To get rid of the "video lag" problem while playing video games, make sure you DO NOT use the USB Extension Cable to connect your EasyCap to your computer. Connect your EasyCap directly to your computer's USB port.

2) How to Play Full Screen with Sound

Open your Ulead Software that came with it. CLICK on the CAPTURE Tab. CLICK on CAPTURE VIDEO (on right side). In SOURCE select your device if not already selected. It should be "Syntek" something.

Now Right Below the Capture Folder you will see a OPTION ICON and "Options" written next to it. CLICK OPTIONS. SELECT CAPTURE OPTIONS. A dialog box will open. Here CHECK(select) CAPTURE AUDIO. Click OK. That's it. Now You get sound too.

To Enable Full Screen in Ulead:

In the Preview Window (small video screen that you complain about), CLICK the Square shape looking icon just right next to the Scissor icon. That's it. Your screen goes into full zoom mode!

More Tips:
If you have a CRT monitor, try to use warm colors like 6500k to get some better video quality.

You can also use other software to view your videos. I use Media Player Classic (not Windows Media Player that is already on your computer). To use MPC after installing it, Open it. Go to File> Open Devices > in Video options select Syntek, in Audio options select USB Audio Interface. Click OK. If you still don't see the video, Go to Play menu > Filters> Syntek > Properties. Here make sure Video Standard is "NTSC_M", Click on the Image tab. Here make sure NTSC/M and Composite Video are selected under Video Sources. (if you are using your special and shiny S-Video cable, select S-Video instead of Composite Video). CLICK OK and Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars VideoStudio SE discontinued, March 20, 2009
This product came out around 2004 to 2006. The program it comes with (VideoStudio SE) is no longer supported by Ulead. I cant even run the auto update after registering it. You need to search the site for whatever old patches there are and it is NOT listed under Videostudio SE. I've yet to find it.
Program from disc itself is easy to install and it is a good price for an old product that does somewhat run (doesn't always pick up a live feed).
However if you want something that's going to last awhile, before you buy this or any other video capture deveice, check its age. Wish I had....

1.0 out of 5 stars It works if you have the luck to get the original easycap, several china copies, don't risk nor gamble your investment., July 6, 2009
Luis Salguero "Luis S." (Guatemala city, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
I have the same driver problem like everyone else, I looked throughout most of the website offering different drivers for this device but it didn't work with my Windows Vista (It says in the package "Vista ready"). I saw several threads talking about versions of this product such as D60-80 but the model number was no where to be found in the product I received.

I went to the so-called official easycap website [...] and found out that they claim there are several copies from china manufacturers that don't work well, bad support, bad drivers and faulty device parts, according to the site the true EasyCAP is manufactured in the UK and they changed their name to EzCAP to avoid this confusion with the faulty copies; though, they claim not to be surprised if the copies start releasing the device with such name as well.

I filed a RMA to get my money back, this was a waste of time. Amazon's service always as great as ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for this amateur, January 26, 2008
Let me qualify this review by saying I am not involved in the audio/video industry, I am a total novice. I bought this on a whim to edit and upload home videos from my camcorder (not digital) to the internet for fun and I really enjoy using this product. I have not had problems like the previous reviewer with the Ulead software (I also use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Suite). I like being able to isolate the audio from the video and tweak each seperately, adding titles is a snap, you can speed up or slowdown replay, there are tons of transitions to play with, and I'm sure I have barely scratched the surface of features available. The trimming handles are kind of hard to get used to and fairly inaccurate, I wish they were easier to work with. I did do one project for an advertising class and got an A, it was nice to have my own software to work on at home instead of fighting for limited resources at school. Great for a beginner like me.