Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microplane 34006 4-Sided Box Grater
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on February 7, 2010
I bought this several months ago and use it nearly daily. Microplane makes fabulous grating surfaces--I have other Microplane products--but the plastic box on which the grates are mounted is flimsy and fragile. When grating firm--not hard--items such as potatoes or cheddar cheese the grating surface flexes away from the food; the plastic isn't rigid enough to hold the grating surface steady. Also, with frequent use the plastic shows stress fractures which further weakens it. More fractures appeared after washing in the dishwasher--the instructions say dishwasher safe. Overall, I'm disappointed in this product from an otherwise excellent company.
44 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2008
This is Microplane's second attempt at a box grater, and I think they nailed it. The "blades" are as good as the usual Microplane products, but the main features I like about this grater are:

* removable plate. One of the front panels slides out so that you can get inside the "box" to clean it well. I do not have a dishwasher so this is pretty important to me.

* grippy feet. So there's no plastic "food catcher" on the bottom, but I really like how the grater stays rock solid on the cutting board, plate, or mixing bowl.

* comfy handle. Easy to grip.

The plastic storage sleeve to protect yourself and the grater is nice also.

Made in USA.
33 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2010
I have had my grater for over 3 months now. What can I say, I was impressed initially, but now ... Now it is falling apart, the plastic is cracking and the feet (plastic) are wobbly because one of them is broken where the plastic meets the metal post. This grater is probably only worth 10$, because you will need to replace it with in 6 months guaranteed if you use it with any frequency. Don't waste your money on this item because the plastic is cheap and will break, get something that's all metal and can take some wear.
on January 17, 2009
I have bought all the other microplane graters and if you have even one of them, you know of the quality and the workmanship of microplane. This grater does not disappoint. I absolutely LOVE it.

1. It has a non-slip handle and feet so it feels very solid and secure when I'm using it.

2. One of the panels pops out so you can really clean if you need to do it by hand. I just put it in my dishwasher--no worries.

3. The four different panels makes it versatile so you don't have to go looking for different graters. It has a course side, fine side, ribbon and slicer.

4. The clear protective cover over the entire grater gives added security.

I know that it's a little on the pricey side but (sorry amazon!) I went directly to the microplane website. There is a sale section on it where they sell non-perfect items at a discount. I bought mine for $24.95 plus I believe $5 shipping. I was worried that I was going to get some hideously mangled product but honestly, I don't see anything wrong with mine. That discount is only until quantities are available so if you're in the market for a new box grater, you might want to check it out now.

I've been so very happy with my grater--I know you'll be too! This is one of the best kitchen purchases I've made.
on March 7, 2010
I spent $35 on one of these six months ago. I already need a new one.

To be fair, I grate a lot of cheese. I've probably used this twice a week or so since I bought it. With that said, about a month ago the black plastic surface above the shredding side started to crack and splinter. Now, if I'm not careful when shredding, little chunks of black plastic will fall in with the shredded cheese. Everyone loves finding one of those in their mac and cheese.

Now, I'll acknowledge that I probably use my cheese grater more than most - I make mac and cheese from scratch at least once a week. But, for $35 I expected something that would last longer than six months.

On the up side, it is really sharp: I took a gouge out of my thumb with it that still hasn't completely healed a month later.
on December 19, 2010
This is one of the most frustrating kitchen products I've ever owned.

Because the thing is, it's excellent at grating. I have an OXO box grater too, and there's just no comparison -- it's much easier and faster to use this one, with less force required from me, because it's so much sharper. Given my choice of graters, I'd use this one every time.

BUT, it's flimsy as heck. It flexes while you use it and develops cracks quickly. The top handles start falling out, the plastic casing around the grating sheets cracks -- pretty much everywhere there's any stress on it, it dies, and quickly.

So if you look at it as a disposable grater, something to use up and replace within six months or so, it's an absolutely excellent 5-star piece. But if you don't think you should have to buy a new grater every six months -- and, honestly, put me in that category -- then it's sort of inexcusable.
on March 4, 2011
Received this for Christmas '09. As expected, the Microplane grating blades perform beautifully. However, the plastic housing of this device absolutely fails live up to the quality I expect from Microplane, and the quality I expect from a $35 box grater.

The first sign of deterioration was the small top handle pulling loose. This happened within weeks of receiving the item. Then small cracks started to develop around the extra coarse blade, which is the one I used most (mostly grating potatoes and cheese). Eventually the entire housing started to crack, and small pieces of the black plastic came off. At this point, I'm only able to reassemble three sides, the main top handle is only attached on one side, as the attachment point has completely broken off on the other, and there is barely any of the top frame of the extra coarse blade left, which renders it useless as it flexes too much to grate effectively. At this point the entire grater is utterly unusable.

I came onto Amazon today to order a replacement. I am really disappointed to see that Microplane has not redesigned this item. I will just be buying an individual extra coarse grater, for $15 instead, as $35 for a box grater that only lasts a year under moderate use is unacceptable to me.

I have uploaded two pictures of my dead grater in the customer images section.
review image review image
on December 31, 2011
I adore Microplane and was excited about this grater. After about a month of use it developed cracks all over and started falling apart. I had washed it in the top of the dishwasher a few times and thought that even though it was labeled 'dishwasher safe' that the eat somehow affected it. Microplane very quickly replaced it for me with a new one. Unfortunately after a few months of use the replacement developed the same cracks, this time it was exclusively hand washed. I can recommend other Microplane products but this box grater was a huge waste of money.
on June 22, 2009
No other box grater can compare to this one!!! I love the rubber grips for the hands and the stands that steady it it place!!! You will love grating cheese with this, it is fun and not a chore as with other graters. It has a REMOVABLE panel so you can really clean it well on the inside if you need to but your hand can fit easily inside so it's easy to clean anyway!!! ALL the Microplane graters are absolutely essential in the kitchen but this one really shines!!!
on May 6, 2010
Don't buy this. Graters are not meant to be made out of plastic. They crack. I've had this grater for a couple of months and it has already cracked. Way too expensive to crack after such a short time. Find an all metal grater if you want one that will last.

See 1 answered question