5.0 out of 5 stars great
I have bought and compared 3 series of microplane products. They are 1. professional 2. premium 3. classic.
Here is what I found.

They are all using the same blade-made in USA but assembled in Mexico.

Published on July 15, 2010 by Sabrina's Kitchen

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate.
Published on March 30, 2011 by Colette

5.0 out of 5 stars great, July 15, 2010
Here is what I found.

They are all using the same blade-made in USA but assembled in Mexico.

The designs differ. Professional is more auqare like many graters we have used from before. It is not super eye catching. The premium and classic series has that long lean body that everyone recognizes easily to be super special to microplane.

Furthermore,Premium and classic series come with plastic handles and several reviewers complain they broke if you are too forceful. The professional series are made of all stainless steel all over.

Also, the premium and the classic series differ in two things. First, at the end where it stands on the counter top, the premium comes with two tiny plastic foot, you cannot see front the pic, but they are there while the classic does not. It protects the surface of either your countertop or your mixer bowl. If you use the classic series, you might scratch the surface it comes in contact with and the classic might be easier to slip too. Second, the plastic handle is sturdier in the premium series than the classics. Other than these two, they are basically the same design.

At the end, my sturdiness ranking is 1. professional 2. premium 2. classic.
my attractiveness of its outlook ranking is 1. premium 2. classic 3. professional.
But the attractiveness is more subject to individual taste than sturdiness ranking.

My final decision is to keep the professional series made of all stainless steel for my friend who care less about the look and for me, I will stay with the premium series and its color handles. I will make sure to be super careful and not use too much force. One more note, I ordered the yellow but the yellow is not a bright yellow , it is more of a dull saturated yellow. So if you like bright lemon yellow, this is not the color for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the Ultimate Zesting Tool, July 28, 2008
This review is from: Microplane 46620 Premium Yellow Zester/Grater (Kitchen)
I find this to be a better tool for zesting than the traditional zester. I use less effort zesting with this Microplane to remove only the rind and not get to that white pith that is very bitter. And most of the zest collects underneath the tool or falls from below. A few minor raps and the most of the collected zest fall away. When I use the traditional zesting tool, I get quite a bit of the zest and essential oil on my hands.

This Microplane is fairly easy to wash and clean. But, after washing, hold the handle and shake out the water that collects in the handle. Then place the Microplane with the handle up after washing so the water dries out from the handle.

I see that there is a newer version of this tool with a shorter and wider rasp area. The tool also includes a small and large strip zester.

PROS: Removes the zest with less effort and better control (without removing the bitter pith). Easily collects the zest without it collecting on your hands.

CONS: The rasp and handle area is not totally sealed or removable to either prevent food to collect under the handle or to allow thorough cleaning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost there..., January 2, 2010
Stormy (Pleasure Island, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Had this model of Microplane for 5+ years - until the plastic broke & that was it. Upgraded to the professional series to avoid another breakage (always at the wrong time) - love these zesters!!! Also got the coarse grater & dumped my old box grater forever. Spend the extra couple of bucks & get a professional series - you will love it forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate., March 30, 2011
Colette (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
It does what it says, it zests things. I bought it mainly for garlic use. The grating isn't so sharp you'll cut yourself if you accidentally rub on it but the bottom side is not the same. It is a bit difficult if you're zesting soft items - you use you finger to rub the item off. I cut my finger pretty bad rubbing it off. The bottom is shaped like a "U" and the side cut me like a bad paper-cut. I also noticed - this may be just mine - but the handle isn't sealed so if you're drying it or washing in the dishwasher, make sure you put it metal tip down or the handle will be filled with water.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW you need one of these!, March 25, 2010
This review is from: Microplane 46620 Premium Yellow Zester/Grater (Kitchen)
Anyone want to buy my old zesteur? Because this tool obsolesces it completely. Comes with a very handy plastic sleeve or tube kind of storage device. Very sharp, it's zero effort to remove the zest, the thin yellow part, of a lemon, which is what I wanted it for. Try stuffing lemon zest under the skin of the next whole chicken you roast, and THE BEST lemonade you will ever taste is made from lemon juice, simple syrup (boil H2O and sugar mixed 1:1 for three minutes and cool) AND FRESH LEMON ZEST. Amazing flavor, but ONLY in the thin, thin top yellow layer! This is perhaps not an essential tool, but definitely something you'd like to have in the kitchen. A little lemon or lime zest as a garnish would be mighty nice on fish, for instance. A unique product. Excellent quality. Could not be happier with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but with a few caveats, March 23, 2011
First off, and most importantly, the zester/grater is unbelievably good with hard cheeses, such as reggiano parmesan. The grater shreds the cheese to a fine consistency unmanageable by other tools. Zest created by the grater is perfect, and of an even texture. The grater is very comfortable to hold, and the grip works well, even for left handers. It is, however, important to note that the grater can be difficult to clean (especially of zest) and that it is extremely sharp, with no safety features except for the one between your ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars New design a mixed blessing, May 6, 2013
Product: Microplane 46020 Premium Black Zester/Grater
Rating: 4/5 Stars (Excellent)

I remember buying this product back when it first made the leap from woodworking to culinary use. I've owned or given away at least a half dozen over the years since then. Sadly, my last remaining microplane broke recently (more on that in a bit), so I opted to give the new redesign a whirl.

I'll skip all the uses and features of this product, which past owners are already familiar with, and for which product descriptions abound, and just focus on what's changed, for better or worse, in the latest model.

BETTER:
* NECK: They removed the serration holes from 1/2" long neck of the rasp nearest the handle, which improved a structural weak point in the original product. I already had one rasp break at the neck after extended use, so this was a positive improvement.

* FEET: Although its hard to tell in the picture, the back bends of the end of the rasp now have permanent little hard plastic caps, allowing the blade to be pressed downwards into one's work board, for grating ... a minor improvement when grating hard products onto a countertop or into a workbowl.

WORSE:

* CLEAR SHEATH: The clear protective sleeve is now (sadly) flimsier and less durable, as is the product sticker affixed to same. The old sheath was just fine, so I have no idea why they chose to suddenly wimp it out. If you have an older microplane, be sure to save the sleeve ... it wont fit as snugly to the new handle without a little tweaking (ex: box cutter), but it will last longer.

* HANDLE GRIP: The newer handle has a slightly textured and less slick grip, which is good, but unfortunately they also eliminated the slight bulges that used to exist at both the front and rear of the handle. As a result, even though the newer no-slip textured surface feels better, the SHAPE of the handle feels slightly less secure in one's grip. IMNSHO, it's a minor step backwards.

* HANDLE INNER MOUNT: The original handle was a 2 piece affair with the blade sandwiched between an inner mount and the outer handle. The rasp itself, and the inner mount, could both be removed for optimal cleaning, and repair (aside: after long use, my last plane snapped at the neck ... so I simply cleaned up the break with a pair of hardened steel snips and slid the suddenly shorter rasp right back into the handle). The redesigned handle doesnt appear to allow the rasp to be removed, which can be a minor issue since the handle is not 100% sealed against food residue. A minor nit.

I love this tool, use it regularly, and I can still highly recommend it. The redesigned handle and thinner sheath are (IMO) both minor steps backwards, but despite that this tool still has a well deserved and indispensable place in my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works marvelously, August 25, 2011
MY EXPERIENCE
I first learned of Microplane when I purchased a cutting glove Microplane 34007 Kitchen Cut-Protection Glove for use with my mandolin. At that time, I couldn't imagine why a zester/grater manufacturer sold cutting gloves. Now I know. The Microplane 46020 zester is razor sharp.

LONG-AND-SKINNY OR SHORT-AND-WIDE
You can buy Microplane long skinny zesters like the 46020 or short wide graters like the Microplane 38004 Professional Fine Spice Grater, both of which produce the same results.

The 46920 long-and-skinny zester is particularly good for zesting lemons or oranges, because it does not obscure the view of the fruit. It can be used for grating garlic, nutmeg etc., but that isn't it's purpose, and you'll probably cut your fingers regularly.

The 38004 short-and-wide fine grater is better for grating nutmeg, etc., but will also grate large objects, such as cheese. Caveat: the 38004 will essentially "powder" cheese or chocolate. Even the Microplane "coarse" grater is much too fine for shredding cheese or raw vegetables. The Microplane extra-course grater is good for finely shredding cheese or vegetables. Microplane 38000 Professional Coarse Grater There are also a series of Nicroplane graters which produce ribbons rather than shreds.

HOW TO ZEST
I find it best to hold the lemon or orange in my left hand, and pull the zester toward me, with the teeth facing down. That way I can see what I am zesting, and I can rotate the lemon/orange as necessary. It is important to see what you are zesting, because you only want to remove the "color" layer, without any bitter white pith. The zest collects on the top side (inside) of the zester, and stays there. You can brush it off with your fingers, but a pastry brush works best. By the way, I've never heard of anyone adding zest to orange juice or lemonade, but it enormously enhances the flavor. (The normal procedure is to let the squeezed lemon skins soak in the lemonade---but if you forget and they soak too much you get a bitter flavor). The zest from one lemon is good for a whole pitcher of lemonade. Zest that lemon before you squeeze it.

Grating ginger. Although primarily a citrus zester, the 46020 is perfect for fine grating ginger. I simply place the zester cutting-edge-up across the bowl or other container I'm using and grate the ginger with a few long strokes. Most of the grated ginger falls in to the bowl, but you can clean the rest (from the bottom side) with your finger.

Garlic. The Zyliss Food Chopper, White is the ideal tool for mincing garlic. The longer you chop, the smaller the pieces, so you have full control. Big chunks or finely minced.

CLEAN-UP
It is best to use a utility brush for cleanup---you don't want to touch the cutting surface with your finger since you'll cut your fingers. You don't want to touch the cutting surface with, say, a fork, because that would damage the cutting surface.

AS A GIFT
If you are a cook, or there is a cook in your life, a Microplane zester or grater is the best $15 gift you can get or give.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handle absorbs water!, August 13, 2011
Nice and sharp, but handle is hollow and holds water if you dunk this tool into a sink of water.

And as usual, when you think your tool is nice and dry - you go to zest/grate and soak the food in dish water!

Of course, I'm over stating this but nobody likes a tool handle holding water -- as such, one negative star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Bought!, December 2, 2012
Kennedy Collins (Azusa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am not a cook & this is definitely a first use of a microplane, so I am not sure what makes a superior one over another. All I know that this works well and is convenient. I have used it for zesting citrus, makes quick work of ginger (semi-frozen) which I always hated doing by hand, chocolate fluff that I needed to use as hair for a cake decoration, nutmeg & everything I have thrown at it it has handled well with the exception of garlic (hence the * deduction). Maybe I need to work with it a little more to see if it is my technique, but for now I prefer to mince with a knife. Not that this cannot handle the job, but I get rather a mushy sticky mess sticking to the back of the grater that one has to take care in grating the tiny little clove... it is just as fast & less messy to mince it the old-fashion way, even with poor knife skills with the added bonus of getting the right size mince/dice ;)

I am happy that I made this purchase. I like being able to whip this out of the drawer instead of having to reach up into the cupboard for the grater & then trying to dust off all my small bits stuck on the inside of the grater, sometimes cutting a knuckle or two. ince I am more apt to use this I don't skip small little things like adding a zest, etc & food is coming out tastier. It has earned it's keep in a small kitchen with someone who is not much of a cook. I am starting to use it so much (when I cook) it just may get a coveted spot hanging up on the wall!

Microplane 46620 Premium Yellow Zester/Grater