Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microplane Gourmet Series Stainless Steel Coarse Grater
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Coarse|Change

on April 11, 2009
I do a lot of cooking and food prep at home. There are a few gadgets that are indispensable and my Microplane grater was one of them. I wore it out after many years.

Other brands just don't work as well or last as long, so I was searching for Microplanes only. I didn't want another plastic frame, as that was what wore out on the old one. Probably didn't like the dishwasher. But on the Microplane web site I found that they make the "Gourmet series" that has a sturdy metal frame. Perfect!

I checked them out in a large kitchen supply store and loved what I saw. There are a few other lines of Microplane graters (Professional, Home, and another with the Lexan plastic frame) that are pretty good but not as good. Not shaped quite as well, not as easy to handle.

But one real advantage of the Gourmet Series is the "slider attachment" accessory. Only costs a few bucks but it makes it safer to grate food and it fits the Gourmet Series graters perfectly. Only costs a few bucks, too.

And the prices of the Gourmet Series are actually better than the other lines.

So I purchased the fine and medium graters with the slider accessory. I am really, really pleased with them. Great food handling, handles (cushioned just right) make it easy to grip and manage the graters, and the slider helps with the grating and protects my fingers.

I've tried them on a very wide range of materials. Grates nutmeg well (especially with the slider), although I prefer my nutmeg grater for that (kind of shaped like a pepper mill), and handles parmesan cheese like magic. Grate for shaving nuts into a dish, carrots, etc. Haven't run into a problem yet.

And they are built very solid. Frame is solid steel, but not overly heavy in weight. Some brands are pretty flimsy and bend after a bit of use. Not these ones. I liked my previous one with the thick plastic frame for that reason, but it cracked with time. Won't happen with the steel ones!
on March 14, 2012
I like this product so much that I keep it on a little hook in my kitchen and always have a brand-new one on hand to give as a present. It grates in two directions - back and forth - and what I mostly use it for is to grate an onion when I'm making meatballs (or anything else) in which I want onion flavor but not perceptible pieces of onion.
on August 29, 2013
I like Microplane products, but have two issues with them:
When you use them to grate hard items, like aged Parmesan, the teeth of the grater do get slowly bent flatter unless you always are mindful to either move the grated item in one direction or decrease pressure on the "upstroke." Once the teeth are deformed, they no longer take the right "bite" out of the item or you have to increase pressure, which just makes it worse.

This particular series also has a somewhat awkward handle. I bought an earlier series Microplane that had changeable blades that I loved -- thought it was a great space and resources saver -- but of course they stopped making blades for it. All that said, I haven't found a grater brand that is as sharp as Microplanes or that makes a variety of coarseness options, so I would still recommend it.
on September 9, 2014
Gross-out warning: I actually use this on tough foot calluses; its sharp so doesn't require pressure but is precisely calibrated to take small even slivers so never goes too deep I happen to use standing box graters for food finding them easier to use and neater so can't weigh in on that use; but if you have unwanted dermis this thing's gonna deal.
on September 17, 2014
As crazy as it sounds, every time I went to the salon I would try to sneak a peak at the namebrand of their callus rasp. It had larger holes than the ones I could find online and did a much better job at removing my calluses. Finally I decided to just ask, and they told me it was a CHEESE GRATER!!! Ha. So I bought one for myself to use at home since it's much cheaper, and it is great.
on July 10, 2016
Very well-made, strong and does a splendid job of making grated ribbons. I would have given it 5 stars, but whoever places the stickers, place the most intrusive and hard to remove sticker on the back of the blades..... not a good thing to do. Note to Manufacturer or distributor: Stop doing that!
on September 22, 2015
I thought I would use this ribbon grater more than I have. It isn't exactly what I thought it would be. It makes thin long shreds not really ribbons of veg or cheese, etc. I can't explain it any better than that. Maybe I am just not using it on the right foods.... I wish I had heeded the reviews that said as much.
on May 30, 2015
This microplane replaced a worn out, broken, cheaper version. This one is sturdy and well-built. The holes are not that large as far as coarse goes but they work for most applications. The handle is comfortable and the top that curves outward with the rubber piece makes it easy to set on the counter. This should last a long time.
on January 14, 2014
This is a must-have for anyone who loves fresh grated hard cheeses. The comfortable handle grip and the sharp blade makes grating a breeze. This grater is ideal for hard Italian cheeses like Romano, Parmesan, or Asiago. We also use it for Anejo and Cotiho for Mexican food. We've cracked the plastic framed Microplanes in the past, but this stainless steel frame is much sturdier and should last a long time. The rubberized bottom edge makes large grating tasks easier because you can rest the grater on the counter. It doesn't slide like the plastic versions.

Once you try this, you'll never use anything else!
on November 5, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I love the way my classic Microplane grater turns Parmesan into paper-thin fluff, and how it finely minces (nearly purées) garlic and ginger. But sometimes I want larger shreds of cheese that'll melt slowly in the oven, or more substantial pieces of garlic and ginger that'll stand up to stir-frying. The output of this grater is closer to what you'd get from the fine holes on a traditional box grater, but with less effort.