Published on January 31, 2006 by Paul Pendleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as "in-depth" a registry learning tool as I anticipated
Published on March 26, 2008 by Mark Burrell

4.0 out of 5 stars For Administrators of Windows XP Professional or Windows 2003 Server Software, January 31, 2006
Paul Pendleton (Stephenville, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
I purchased this book to help me create a more secure limited user environment for Windows XP Home which would also work with legacy software. After purchase I found out that the author assumes the user is administering either Windows XP Professional or Windows 2003 Server software for large groups of users. The author details how to make mass registry changes using the Group Policy Editor which is not available in Windows XP Home. This book is probably the best resource available for its intended readers. While it was not intended for use with Windows XP Home, I've gained enough knowledge from the book to be able to successfully find on the internet the writings of other authors who have already worked out the registry hacks of XP Home needed to accomplish for its administrators one user at a time the same result as that obtained for those who administer large groups of users.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as "in-depth" a registry learning tool as I anticipated, March 26, 2008
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
The back cover of this book says the following; "Understand how the Registry works -- and customize Windows to run the way you want". Also; "Get the in-depth information you need to modify -- and seamlessly manage -- the Windows registry". I purchased this book in the hope of becoming thoroughly adept in UNDERSTANDING HOW TO EDIT my own registry key values. The systems registry should not be manually altered unless you understand the ramifications of what you are doing. One wrong hex value can cause a lot of computer problems, (although System Restore can take care of most of these issues if a restore point is first created). The book may be fine for I.T. professionals but for those who want to take an intimate look inside the registry in order to examine and learn to become proficient about its innermost workings, I do not recommend this book. Less than 30 pages, (pp 3-31), cover the "Learning the Basics" of the registry. I would have liked more information such as interpreting the registry Hex values using a common Hex Editing tool and how to make MY OWN intelligent alterations based on newfound knowledge gained from reading the book. There are several registry "Hacks" in the book but it's really just a matter of copying values from the book. You aren't really told what is actually taking place when hex values are changed, (EG. Are we changing a boolean value and/or how do we know which hex values are available to be changed, etc.)There is a lack of in depth explanations on topics that I think were very relevant. I paid $64.99 CDN for this book at the time of my purchase. I don't believe that I received fair value in return. I know the price has decreased somewhat since then and because of that, it may be a worthwhile investment for those who would like some useful information about Windows Registry. Again, just remember the book is targeted towards I.T. professionals. The three stars are mainly because of what I see to be a great lack of informative in-depth content, and very brief and somewhat vague explanations. I was left hanging and had to consult other media to find answers about some of the topics which I read in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars No CD with this book?, January 22, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
The "Product Description" for this book, and various places in the book, mention an accompanying CD, but none is listed in the order or shipping papers and none was received. Possibly the CD accompanies some other book by the same author? It would have been nice to have it. As for the book, it seems technically competent but does not provide the kind of understanding that would make me literate in the Registry and its workings, so any changes I make will be more limited than hoped. It seems good for installing Windows in various environments and servers, but I'm just a Home user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Techs, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
This book is very thorough in explaining the Registry and how to work with it. As a self taught person I found it heavy going and would not reccomend it to other than the people it is intended for - IT people! Chances are that few average people will read this anyway. My main purpose was in trying to understand and combat changes made by intrusion and viruses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening of knowledge, October 6, 2012
reinaldo soares vidal (Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, BR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
This book explains in a very friendly operation WINDOWS REGISTRY. Covers the entire structure of Windows Registry related explaining how each key is altered, and how each component is linked to the windows registry. The material in this book is very rich in examples and the author has a great knowledge of the subject. It is worth studying this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 25, 2014
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
I purchased this as a permanent reference guide. It's from Microsoft, so it is as you would expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for professional or advanced computer person, June 5, 2009
Stephen Holbert "theoneomicron" (north las vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
I have been editing the registry in computer systems on a professional level since 1999. This book has cleared up allot of things I wish I knew years ago. It is concise and to the point. The index is organized well and makes it easy to find relevant information quickly. If you have ever tried to fix a complicated problem while 10 people are waiting for you to get done, you will appreciate this. Chopped full of useful information, a valuable reference for when something goes wrong and the normal rules of the game don't apply anymore.

Stephen

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tech guide to Windows registry, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
Great source of information on the functions of the Windows registry, as well as many technical tips for both users and professionals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alot of good info., September 17, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide (Paperback)
This book explains the windows registry in great detail. A must for anyone looking to modify or add registry settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28, 2014
I love it

Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide
Microsoft® Windows® Registry Guide by Jerry Honeycutt (Paperback - September 14, 2005)
$44.99 $31.42
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies