5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool -- hilariously tiny
I am really excited for the Microsoft Surface, so I bought this mouse in preparation!

Published 23 months ago by Nate

After 2 months of using, I'm realizing that this mouse is just ok and I kind of regret using my Amazon rewards dollars to buy this thing. I thought I could get used to this mouse but I really can't.

Published 16 months ago by bronzefury

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool -- hilariously tiny, October 2, 2012
Nate (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse (Personal Computers)

This mouse is so small I laughed as I took it out of the box. I paired it to my desktop running Windows 8 final (from my MSDN account) to give it a try. I like it a lot. The small size of it will take some getting used to. I have large hands, long fingers in particular. But if you take this device for what it was intended to be, something small that you can take with you and your Windows 8 tablet, you'll love it. It fits comfortably in my pocket and will be a breeze to get through airport security with or just bring in the car when I know I'm going to have to get a little work done later.

Like I said, take it for what it's meant to be, a tablet companion. Not a mouse that you use at your workstation all day long. Your wrists aren't built for that and neither is this mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth mouse., December 18, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse (Personal Computers)
This mouse was one of the few available Bluetooth mice on the market. While I don't have much experience with the other mice, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this mice as a ultra portable alternative to the traditional mouse. The scroll touch works well - its speed sensitive so the faster you slide your finger the quicker it'll scroll. Overall, I think this mouse may be one of the best LAPTOP mice available. My desktop mouse is a Logitech gaming mouse which I ergonomic....and huge. It really matches the Microsoft Surface tablet- same type of feel as the cover, and it doesn't take up your lone USB slot! While I am not a brand-whore, I normally don't trust wireless mice from unbranded companies. I will update this review IF it breaks, so you will know what sort of life expectancy this mouse may see. I am not abusive to my electronics but most of my IR mice have died within 6 months to a year (Logitech, Microsoft).

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, compact and portable wireless Bluetooth mouse, September 19, 2012
Media Man (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The "Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse" is a new and minimalistic mouse designed for portability and compatibility with all of your Bluetooth devices. Using the latest in Blue Track technology this mouse can be used on even more surfaces such as granite, carpet, wood and more to make using all your devices even more convenient. Here are my thoughts on the Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse;

Pros

+ Compatible with a large assortment of tablets.

+ Designed for Windows 8.

+ Wireless Bluetooth with no adaptors needed.

+ Blue Track technology allows mouse to track on many different surfaces.

+ 4-way touch-sensitive scrolling.

+ On/Off switch on the bottom of mouse.

+ Set up and pairing was a snap.

+ Stylish, simple and sleek design.

+ Extremely compact and portable.

+ Sturdy construction.

+ Comes with and uses 1 AA battery.

+ Battery compartment slides open easily with a switch on the bottom. There's also displays a diagram of which direction to properly insert the battery. A simple but always helpful thing.

Cons

- Pricey.

- Can become a bit uncomfortable after long periods of use.

- May be too small for larger hands.

We have several tablets and computers around our household at the moment and I've been in the market for a small wireless mouse. My primary device of use while roaming the house is a rooted HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer running Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The HP Touchpad's 9.7 inch display is great, but I still find myself having to pinch and zoom quite often to touch the link I want to select. This is where a compact accessory like the "Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse" is perfect to have. Usable on many surfaces it allows you plop down on the couch or carpet with your laptop or tablet and work/browse effortlessly. This convenience comes at a high price point however and the small size combined with the non-ergonomic design of the mouse may cramp your hand up after prolonged use. However, if you're looking for a simple, effective and compact mouse to use with all your Bluetooth devices then it's easy to recommend the "Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse."

4.0 out of 5 stars What I was looking for!, September 28, 2012
Rico Jimenez (St Clair Shores, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse (Personal Computers)
To give you a bit of background, I'm using this mouse, and it's matching keyboard Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard (U6R-00001) with a Windows 8 desktop computer that I built. I've been in IT for 14 years, and am VERY picky about my mice and keyboards, and I was hesitant to buy these items site unseen. Lucky for me, I ended up making a good choice.

First off, I HATE clutter, so the size was important to me. I realize that this mouse was built for mobile users, and a lot of expert reviews will tell you this mouse is not for every day use, but for me the smaller the better. Both the mouse and keyboard fit comfortably on my keyboard tray, and I have room to spare. Keep in mind, this mouse is TINY. My fiancé's flash drive is actually longer than the mouse is tall. If you can get around the small size, this mouse is quite functional, especially when paired with the Windows 8 Mouse and Keyboard Center. With it, you have the ability to program application specific functions to the mouse button's but I haven't found a practical use for this feature...yet. You can even identify what, if any, programs have trouble scrolling using the touch gestures, adjust scroll speed, enable/disable flick gestures, etc.

The single finger scrolling works well, as do the flick gestures. I hold the mouse between my thumb and ring finger to avoid having any issues with gestures, etc. I find the mouse to be very responsive, and have had no issues using it over the last week. You can see that Microsoft paid attention to the build quality, which you would expect given the price of this item.

The only thing I really miss is a back button on the side of the mouse to use with web browsing. At times, I find myself hunting for it with my thumb.

Most of you will want to think hard before buying this mouse. It's definitely not for everyone. It's a great addition to a tablet (Windows 8 or otherwise) due to it's small size. For use in a situation like mine, you'd want to give it more thought. If at all possible, see the mouse in the store, or make sure you understand the return policy of the vendor you're buying it from. It's TINY...and it won't be for everyone.

For those of you who take the time to adjust to it, and really give it a shot, I think you'll be satisfied with your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mouse, ergonomic form-factor, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse (Personal Computers)
I bought this mouse to accompany my new Surface Pro 128GB, which is my new work laptop/workstation.

This mouse is fantastic. It's small size may seem curious and tiny, but it's a GREAT form-factor. The angling of the mouse and where you hold it contour your hand to the exact same position it sits in while holding a "full size" mouse. I was incredibly, pleasantly surprised by this - it is very comfortable to use!

The "backpack mode" where it turns off once the device it's paired with is off (or in sleep mode) is also fantastic.

Five stars. We will be ordering and deploying these at my company for mobile/tablet users.

4.0 out of 5 stars In addition to Windows, it works in varying degrees on Android and Chromebook, March 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a handy little bluetooth mouse. If you are pressed for space, this is indeed a space saver. For example, if you have a laptop with a touchpad, you need some elbow space to use the touchpad or use an external traditional USB mouse. With this tiny one and touch scrolling, you can just move your finger up and down and left and right the mouse surface.

Despite the small size, it was surprisingly usable, even during some long sessions with a desktop computer. Obviously it can't replace a desktop mouse for power users, especially if you are used to mice, but it is good enough to get things done without getting in the way if that's the only mouse you have with you. It worked on various surfaces.

This is a really small mouse. It is roughly 5.5cm long, 6cm wide and its height ranges from around 1cm to 3cm at its highest. With the battery installed the mouse weighs 2.2 ounces. There are two buttons at the bottom, one is a mechanical slider button that slides the battery door open and the other is a press-me-please button that turns the mouse on and off. A longer press on that button (after you turn on the mouse) sends the mouse into pairing mode. At the bottom of the mouse, in between those two buttons, there is also a blue light (the bluetrack light).

When you turn on the mouse, a green light turns on briefly on the tall side of the mouse and then turns off. The blue light at the bottom of the mouse also turns on. To turn it off, a simple press of the power button at the bottom of the mouse is enough and you can easily tell it is turned off because the blue light turns off.

To enter pairing mode, first turn on the mouse, and then long press the power button until you see flashing lights on the tall side of the mouse. Pairing mode is also party mode, with the light on the front side of the mouse alternately flashing in red and green and the light at the bottom of the mouse flashing blue in between the red and green flashes on the tall side of the mouse. Then follow the instructions on your device to complete the pairing.

On Windows 7, the computer needed rebooting after installing the Microsoft software that Windows decided it needed. I was able to connect and use the Wedge mouse without problems using a 99c USB bluetooth dongle.

The mouse also worked on Android and Chromebook but obviously it does not have the luxury of dedicated Microsoft device drivers that the Windows versions do.

On a Google Chromebook (the $250 Samsung), it works fine but you don't get all the features. Touch scroll works but you can't scroll by pressing the mouse button and moving the mouse up or down. Touch scroll can be a bit jumpy on secondary touch scrolls. It is fine when you scroll to a place in a page, but when you scroll for a subsequent time, the new scrolling position is not always the one you expected it to be (higher or lower). Maybe it's the way I am using it or I haven't been able to adjust for the Chromebook, but I haven't had this issue with Windows. On the plus side with Chromebook, you do get the context-sensitive sub-menu (eg open in new window, etc) with a long press.

On Android, things vary depending on which device and which browser or apps you use. On a 10-inch Acer tablet with Honeycomb era hardware (Tegra 2) running Acer's version of 4.0, it works okay but not as smooth as Windows.

With the Google LG Nexus 4, it is a pretty good combo in landscape mode if you use apps that could benefit from a mouse with touch-scroll. You can also use it together with a bluetooth keyboard. However, there is an issue with using it together with Wifi. After you connect the mouse, Wifi data stops flowing. As soon as you disconnect the mouse, Wifi data flows again. I suspect this is not the mouse's fault, because this happens with some other (but not all) bluetooth devices and the LG Nexus 4 with the current software (late March 2013) has a variety of Bluetooth related issues when you google around. Hope is not lost however, because the mouse does not affect cellular data, that continues to flow regardless.

One issue to note with web browsers on Android. All the major ones work with the button-press-and-move-mouse scrolling (finger-equivalent). However, the current version of Firefox (late March 2013) does not work with touch-scroll. Touch-scroll worked with the other Android browsers I tried (Chrome, Dolphin, Opera). Touch-scrolling on Android with Tegra 3 is smoother than the Chromebook.

The mouse comes in a squarish box in the typical Microsoft hardware box colors (red, white, gray) but unlike those ugly keyboard boxes, it looks nice enough if you want to give this as a gift. The box is 15cm by 14cm and 5.5cm tall. Measurements approximate and rounded. The box opens as if this was a watch or jewelry with the mouse front and center. Under the mouse compartment you will find the brief user guide in four languages (English, Spanish, Portugese, French), along with the Limited Warranty and legalese Product Guide.

The mouse needs one AA battery to operate. One AA alkaline single use battery is included in the box. I did not try rechargeable batteries with it.

The original price when it came out was rather high, but as of late March 2013, it is more reasonable (around forty). The original price made it a bit of a luxury for geeks but the price at review time is a lot more reasonable.

3.0 out of 5 stars missing middle mouse button, not as controllable as a mouse with a scroll wheel, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse (Personal Computers)

The reason why I say that is because it doesn't have control that mimics a middle mouse button. Supposedly there is 3rd party free software but I don't want to install 3rd party software just to get what I consider basic functionality.

Scrolling is kind of jerky too using touch. I prefer a scroll wheel.

I'll be shopping around for a new bluetooth mouse.

I mainly like it because its small and portable but, then again, there are tons of mice out there that can do that, too, and also have middle mouse button control.

5.0 out of 5 stars BLUETOOTH CORDLESS, NO USB PORT REQUIRED, USE IT ANYWHERE - ON OR OFF A DESKTOP., November 16, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse (Personal Computers)
Works as well as any other mouse on a table top, but excels on your leg or your chair's soft arm rest. Can be used anywhere, like a standard mouse or like a touch pad, with page-down or page-over capabilities, but with no moving wheel or other parts. Takes a standard battery and shuts off automatically. This blue-tooth device has a quick one-button activation when needed. It is one of the few cordless units that requires no dongle to tie up a USB port. I use it with my Microsoft Surface Pro. A great unit at good price, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable for use on a table but works well with Android tablet, September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very small mouse. While the size is a positive in terms of portability the ergonomics simply aren't good. It isn't comfortable to use on a table. However, the sensor does pick up motion very well which means that in more casual settings, such as when using a tablet and sitting on a couch, the mouse can be used and still retain a good deal of precision.

I was very pleased at how easily the mouse connected over bluetooth with my zoom. It paired without any hiccups and was functional on the home screen and several apps I tested. For design and drawing apps its a great help and greatly improves on the precision of trying to use the touch panel. Further, the mouse was more comfortable to use on a couch than when it was placed on a table. The small size in this case benefits it as it fits closer to a resting hand position and the high sensitivity means not much motion is needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Setup, Compact Design a Little Too Compact, August 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse is an aesthetically pleasing mouse optimized for Windows 8, and is advertised as working with most tablets and laptops. I was quickly able to pair the mouse with my Windows 7 laptop and download the software from the Microsoft Device Center, which allowed me to customize the settings and do things like assign mouse buttons to do different things in different programs. The whole setup process was quick and intuitive.

I tried to mouse on several surfaces, including a wood table and a granite kitchen counter. The mouse, which is powered by a AA battery, worked flawlessly on either surface. I did not try it on a carpet, but Microsoft says it will work on that surface as well. The mouse only has two buttons, on the underside of the device, for power and to open the battery door.

My only complaint is the size of the mouse. Microsoft advertises the fact that the Wedge Touch has a "compact design for ultimate portability." This mouse is a bit on the small side for my hands. When using it, I find that I "grip" the mouse using my thumb and ring finger, and that my index and middle finger do all of the clicking. Using the mouse for hours may be stressful on my fingers because the smaller size forces me to cup my hand more tightly around the device.

Bottom line, I like the Wedge Touch Mouse. It looks different than a standard mouse and I appreciate the fact that Microsoft is trying to produce a compact mouse that travels easily, If you have large hands, however, you may find it uncomfortable or difficult to use.

Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse