5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product

2.0 out of 5 stars Check spelling as you type does not work
Published on November 29, 2010 by Thomas V. Hagerty

2.0 out of 5 stars Check spelling as you type does not work, November 29, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
At first I thought I liked Outlook 2010. But then I wrote some emails and found that the "Check spelling as you type" function did not work. I went to the editor options and found this function was grayed-out. Then I went to the Microsoft Discussion forum called Microsoft Answers. Many people had the same complaint about the spell check. A Microsoft MVP gave us a curt answer to our problem: "You have to buy the office suite in order for the spell check to work." Neat!

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a downgrade for many users seeking CRM capability, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
It is now well documented that Outlook 2010 no longer tracks tasks and journal entries under the activities section of a contact. This is one of the greatest CRM features available in earlier verision of Outlook, allowing users to track phone calls, meetings, tasks, emails, etc., in one window pane for every contact. Whether this a known bug they are going to fix or a change by design that they are not going to fix is completely unclear. The responses from Microsoft are inconsistent according to those who have logged help requests and posted their experiences on forums. Is the elimination of CRM like features in Outlook 2010 a cynical ploy to convert/force users to Microsoft's Dynamics CRM 2011 (at $44/user/month)?

Regardless, the feature doesn't work, even though books like Microsoft Outlook 2010 Inside Out provide step by step instructions for using this non-existent functionality (there is a detailed section in the book called "Connecting journal activities to individual contacts" teaching us how to connect journal activities to contacts. Figure 22-11 provides a beautiful diagram of the journal entry, having been associated with the contact, now dazzlingly displayed in the contact's activities section, as if somewhere, somehow, this functionality really did exist. The section ends with "this is just one more way outlook 2010 keeps all your information interconnected"). But its not true, the information is not connected, and if you had the information connected in 2007, it is now disconnected and years of compiling and tracking interactions with your contacts (who might be your costumers, clients, or suppliers) is lost.. For many users, it makes Office 2010 a definite downgrade from 2007.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
I installed Outlook 2010 on a new Asus laptop running Windows 7 home premium and had no problems or glitches. Windows Live Mail was set up on the laptop but it would not import and export to Outlook 2003 that is installed on an older desktop. Outlook 2010 imports and exports to Outlook 2003 seamlessly. The only problem I experienced was setting up a new e-mail account. Outlook 2010 gives you the option to set it up automatically or manually. I tried automatic and I did not like the way it was set up, so I deleted it and installed manually.

3.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Outlook a Disappointment, February 22, 2011
Old Doc (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
Having used Outlook for many years, I selected Outlook 2010 for my new Windows 7 computer. The features that I loved in the older versions of Outlook that I used on XP and Vista were gone and replaced with strange features like the "ribbon." Outlook 2010 is not worth the money and the learning curve is too steep. Microsoft should have followed the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

2.0 out of 5 stars Sucks, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
I have been using outlook since inception. This is the worst version ever. They do not upgrade the database engine and only play with the GUI. It keeps locking up. Rebooting itself. And on top of it all, costs arm and a leg. All the error messages sent to MS go into some ditch and never remedied. It is a shame MS products have lost their cutting edge after BG. I have ditched Office all together now and I am using free on-line software from others, which at least do not crash my system. Don't Office people talk to Windows people. They are in the same building. Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
I purchased the latest version of Outlook 2010 since my IT guys said it would work properly with IMAP unlike the 2007 version of Outlook. I installed the new version which worked ok except when some emails with graphics were opened. The program would crash and had to be restarted.

I search the Microsoft web site (very accurate, totally useless) and didn't find anything. A Google search revealed that others have had the same problem and it appears that Microsoft is pointing the finger at a 3rd party software provider (Adobe, I suspect). From what I read, Microsoft has no interest in fixing the problem since it is the other company's fault.

I removed Outlook 2010 and re-installed 2007. My $130+ investment is gathering dust on the shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing, to Say the Least, August 7, 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
First of all, as usual Amazon did a great job of delivering the correct product, and on time. But that' been about the ONLY thing that has been satisfactory about my experience so far. I've only been using Outlook for a few days so far, but that's enough to know I really don't like it at all.

My last 2 computers (which I still have) run XP and Outlook Exress. I've used OE for many years now, and know my way around it quite well, including the Advanced settings. I never needed to buy any sort of tutorials to learn how to use it; it's very intuitive. NOT the case with Outlook. Let's begin at the behinning:

My new computer (Dell 15r laptop) came preloaded with Windows 7. While different from XP, I'm getting comfortable with it, as it's pretty user friendly; I liked XP just fine, but I can get comfortable with Win 7. Along with the new computer, I also bought the Belkin data transfer system. It did an excellent job of transferring my documents, music, web favorites, etc. I assumed that, even though I'd been running Outlook Express and not Outlook, that it would also transfer my email settings and Address Book from my old computer to the new one, in other words, from my OE computer to the new one running Outlook.

IT DID NOT.

I'm sure a software write could have accomplished allowing Outlook and Outlook Express to communicate with each other during a data transfer (after all, they're both from the same company), and it should have been reasonable for them to assume that a LOT of people would be transitioning from OE to Outlook, wouldn't it? It's almost as if the designers had never heard of OE, used it, or reviewed its best features, as the products are so dissimilar. Here are just a few examples; I have more complaints, but this will give you an idea:

Since the data transfer didn't transfer from Outlook Express, I had to go in and manually set all the email parameters myself. Fortunately, I know how to do this, but it shouldn' have been necessary. I had to set the SSL, authentication, and port settings, etc. It really would have been nice if Microsoft would have designed an interface for the data transfer that would have done this automatially, but they didn't. And I know there are a lot of people out there who DON'T know how to access and modify these settings and if you can't, you obviously will get NO email. Thanks, Microsoft!

Let's say you want to do something simple, like schedule how often you want to check for new messages. Used to be two clicks, and was with the rest of the settings, accessible from the Tools on the home pane. Now, it's buried inside the file tab, and is now an "Advanced" setting? At first, I also thought it only gave the option of both sending and receiving, but I finally found the setting so I can just receive; they had that buried too.

Each account you set up comes with its own Deleted Items, Drafts, and Sent Items folder. Very cumbersome, in my opinion. And in my case since I have a Dell, another frustration. Mine came with McAffee, and for each sub-folder you create, McAffee creates a subfolder named "McAffee Anti-Spam". All your emails go into the respective folder for each account / folder you have. Problem is, if the folders are collapsed, when you receive emails, there is no numerical notification next to the folder to let you know something came in. And if you DO expand the folders, they won't all fit in the pane without having to scroll down. Whether collapsed or expanded, you can easily miss something. And if you eliminate the subfolder, you get NO mail.

I could go on, but you get the idea. The changes made to Outlook were made with no regard to someone's familiarity with Outlook Express, and have not made the program more user-friendly or convenient. But if you're gonna stay with a Microsoft product, you simply have no choice, as Win 7 won't support Outlook Express. I don't know about you, but I prefer making my own decisions insted of having them made for me.

Others may disagree with me, but I do not like Outlook 2010. I will learn how to use it, but I will NEVER prefer it to good ol' Outlook Express.

I'd like to meet the genius who designed this new version, AND decided we can no longer use Outlook Express. Believe me, if I could install OE into my new Win 7 OS, I would. I'm even tempted to dump Win 7 and load XP in my new computer, but then, I know it won't be long before Microsoft quits supporting XP with updates and patches, so whaddayagonnado?

1.0 out of 5 stars If you liked 2003 or liked 2007 you'll HATE this version!!!!, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
If you have lots of time to waste for a complete change in your office software, upgrade to this. Nothing but down hill with this software. OMG this is bad. Can't transfer in your old 2003 pst file backups and your forced into a complete learning curve that I'm sure everyone has time for??? The tools take up 40% of the viewable screen. Ruined my whole email, calendar and contacts experience that we depended on. Customer support seems to want to help me with these issues but I HAVE NO TIME for all this. I sure hope the M.S. engineer that signed off on this got fired!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing a key feature - you've got to be kidding me., June 23, 2011
Big Dutch (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
Alright, I'm sure someone is going to jump down my throat and correct me on this (maybe) but I've been using this since Outlook 2010 came out. I bought it with a Dell Studio 1569 Laptop that I purchased last June (which I still love by the way).

I'll get the good out of the way - the Calendar is solid, the to do lists are fine, and the contact manager works as expected, not really a big difference that I can tell from Office 2007 - it does what I need it to do.

Quick background: I use Office 2007 on my desktop PC, and I run a business from home (a jewelry/retail website) that I do 90% of the customer service for. I receive and answer 100's of emails every day. I need to manage multiple email accounts.

So what's the problem? There is no native combined inbox view. Office 2007 has it, and for some reason, Office 2011 on the Mac has it. I've played with this thing for the better part of a year, tried setting up customs folders/rules to catch all the emails, but for whatever reason it degrades over time and is harder to manage. I have no idea what Microsoft was thinking. The reason, for me, that it's a pain in the butt is a customers order information will often be emailed to a separate email account than where they might send an email asking for a change to be made to the order. This really makes the search function almost worthless. On the combined inbox view I can start typing their email address or last name, or an item number in and up pops the related emails, no matter what inbox they are laying in, for me to quickly access the customers information. With no combined inbox this process just isn't as easy - short of having all of the emails forward into one email account and only use that account on Outlook (which is what I did for awhile).. What a step backwards!

So anyways, I finally got sick of it and uninstalled this on my laptop, and I installed Outlook 2007. Yea, it works like a charm... Only took me about a year to do it. If you ever do downgrade to Outlook 2007, make sure you go to the windows control panel, mail 32 bit (easiest way to find this is just type it in the 'search control panel' box), profiles, and DELETE the outlook profile before you install it, your life will be much easier : I also deleted all the data files from Outlook 2010 as well on my second install attempt, it made for a cleaner install, then I just re-downloaded everything from the email servers.

2 STARS, because everything else is fine (at least for my use), but the whole point of an email management program I thought was to make managing my email EASIER. If I wanted to log in to each account separately to clumsily search for an email, I would have just stuck with the web interface. If I was only rating the mail aspect of this, it would be -10 STARS.

BTW you can find office 2007 for under $100, includes Outlook, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get outlook 2007, 2010 is crap, July 5, 2011
AnarchyJim (san francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Software)
Extremely frustrating version. I'm REALLY tired of new products that just rearrange things for the sake of doing it and add features that make things automatic, which don't work and slow everything down. I have a good workflow in 2007 and 2010 is a massive fail IMHO.

- The Search function is slow and fails on a regular basis.
- It can't seem to open my old 2007 files without the app being run in Administrative mode. It tells me I need an administrator account to open the files, but my account is the only one on the machine and is administrator.
- I run an ecommerce site and once or twice a day we have to check the header information on suspected fraudulent email orders. This is now buried and not easily accessible.
- The UI is 'new and improved', except it's not. Admittedly there are a few things in locations that make more sense, but mostly it's just an annoying redesign that has made my workflow less efficient. Having used it for the last month or so has not improved things.
- Many other small things... I've had nothing but trouble with it.

I'm switching back to 2007. This was a waste of money.

ARRAY(0xb21328a0)

Microsoft Outlook 2010
Microsoft Outlook 2010 by Microsoft Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$249.99