5.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, both excellent
Published on September 12, 2006 by Christopher Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Cable NOT 6' long!!!
Published on July 15, 2009 by G G

3.0 out of 5 stars Cable NOT 6' long!!!, July 15, 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 - Black (Personal Computers)
Unfortunately I bought this item assuming that the other reviewers here gave an accurate description, that the cable is 6' long. Well I just received it today and the cable is around 3' long. I guess over the years, Microsoft chopped the cable in half. So do NOT buy this if, like me, you are expecting a 6' long cable, it's actually fairly short and thus it is nearly unusable for a desktop, only good for laptops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, both excellent, September 12, 2006
As far as simple, no-frills compact wired optical mice go, this one is the best for the price. No silly rubberized appliques to peel off after a couple of weeks of good use. Four nice, big Teflon feet, wide "millipede" scroll wheel, sturdy construction, and a great feel in the hand. Light, small, and comfortable. Clean, smooth tracking on uniform surfaces. Extra long 6' cable is perfect for desktop situations where the CPU is a greater than typical distance from the mousing surface. And the cable they used is of excellent quality that feels like it will last forever without twisting or snapping a contact at either the USB plug or mouse housing ends! I have one on my laptop, and one on my dekstop. They both perform flawlessly. Good job Microsoft. You got this one right.

5.0 out of 5 stars small, simple and sweet!, February 6, 2008
Got this for a new notebook computer because I hate using touchpads. Also, I didn't want to fiddle with batteries and since it will be mainly a desktop replacement computer rather than a road warrior one, didn't mind having a cord.

The cord is kind of interesting-looking, not the same color as the mouse which is rather unusual, and is extra long so I keep it tied up with the wire tie it came with.

Only gripe is that having to keep the cord partially tied up makes the mouse sort of move on its own whenever I let go of it due to the tension in the cord.

Otherwise I love it: it's just the right size, the scroll wheel also doubles as a button, everything feels great ergonomically.

4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T use on fabric/colorful surface!!!, January 1, 2007
That's where almost everyone I've told this to has gone wrong. This one and all other optical ones I've tried work wonderfully on a smooth and clean surface but can jump wildly and randomly on fabric pads or pads that have images or intricate lines and colors. Also this mouse has three buttons and if you don't game that's all you need. Your standard R-L click and your roller btton for page viewing. There is nothing wrong with mine as long as I put in on a relatively solid color with a plastic/vinyl top. If you have a problem with yours, pick it up and blow out the laser hole and wipe your hand over the pad/table, so fare that has solve the problems I've had with it. I like it a lot because it's quiet when you click it, smooth and quiet when you use the roller and it's so light it glides with little effort.

The only reason it got 4 stars is because the roller button is a little weak and takes some getting used to avoid pushing it down buy accident.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but stiffly wired, November 9, 2006
Robert Collins (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
The price is unbeatable, but the wire attached to this mouse is so stiff it is always making its presence felt more than I want.

3.0 out of 5 stars More a notebook mouse than desktop mouse... but not fit for either., June 19, 2006
First things first, this mouse does not look anything like the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000, and I request Amazon to change it's picture to the correct one as soon as possible.

The mouse, as the name suggests is a small mouse, somewhere between a full sized mouse and a mini-mouse. It will be preferred by those who want to travel, and may suit a notebook better than a desktop for it's size. It has 3 buttons and one thing I like about it is that it's scroll wheel is in increments and not smooth. Also, it is much easier to press as a 3rd mouse button. This makes opening of tabs in Firefox much easier than Microsoft's Notebook Optical Mouse 3000.

This small mouse is not suited for gaming at all, given it's small size. I was saying that it may be a good notebook mouse, but it's cable is 6-feet long and does not retract into the mouse. So it is neither a perfect solution as a desktop or notebook mouse, but it is cheap and decent overall. But I would recommend people look at the Logitech Notebook Optical Mouse Plus for those looking for a cheap notebook mouse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable downgrade from “Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse” ASIN: B00006IJX7, December 2, 2013
This black mouse is an unbelievable downgrade from a previous gray color mouse - “Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse”, ASIN: B00006IJX7, Item model number: M20-00001 – it is still on amazon web site.

I thought they were both from Microsoft, this black one must inherited the excellent features of the gray one. Unfortunately I was totally wrong. While the gray one may be the first notebook mouse in history and in so many years no other mouse could match its perfect features; this black mouse is just the opposite, it is unbelievably bad.

The image you see on amazon.com for this “Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 – Black” is quite different from the one I just received.

On the old gray color mouse – on both sides of it, the red piece of plastic incurvate to make it easy to hold.

On the new black mouse I just received yesterday, the bottom is much narrower than the top, when I try to hold it from the left and right, the mouse slid up and jumped from the desk – you cannot hold it. The only way to somehow control it is to try to hold the narrow edge between the side and top, but this is not a real grasp at all. Mouse has to be moved all the time, if you cannot hold it, then you cannot move it easily. By making the bottom so narrow, Microsoft saved material, made more money, but also made this product a piece of garbage.

On the old gray mouse, the button’s top surface was made in the shape to prevent fingers from sliding to left or right. In the other direction direction, the buttons are flat to avoid slide forward or backward like on a ball, this ensures precise pressing and form a comfortable nest for your finger tips. On this new black mouse, the top of buttons are like balls and not easy to hold, my fingers got tired when try to be in the right place.

This new black mouse does not tell if the power is on or off, while the old gray mouse shows power on or off clearly.

Everyone knows that when we receive new electrical product how the manufacturers hold the electric wire folded. This black mouse is the only product I saw that use thin tape to hold the wire. If you do not get scissors handy to cut the tape, then you cannot try the mouse.

This black mouse is too loud when click. You have to listen to the annoying loud sound billions times if you continue using this kind of mouse. This mouse is for those who lost some hearing. If you did not, it might cause it to you.

The largest portion of my life is spent holding a mouse. It is important to have a mouse that can be hold comfortably, operating precisely, and does not make hand tired. Those who made the old MS gray mouse available were heroes. Stay away from these new microsoft mouse.

2.0 out of 5 stars loud click!, September 6, 2011
Desired a small non wireless mouse for an international flight. The loud click (right and left) would disturb the other passengers, though. The search for a small non wireless mouse continues...

4.0 out of 5 stars COMPACT MOUSE!!!!, January 24, 2011
Okay, first off, most people that write bad reviews should be punched! The listing of the mouse and titles "Microsoft Compact Mouse". Why would you suspect something that says "compact" to be normal size and then complain about your stupidity!?

Review time: I ordered the mouse and like normal I read the reviews and try to see what is the basic problem and the 2 that I seen most were the size and length of the cord. the size as noted above is the consumers own fault for not being able to read. The second is the same! The cord is sort, mesuring about 2 feet, but being basicly a compact aspect, you would figure it to be smaller for the purpose of a smaller kid or preteen, or simple for a notebook/laptop and thats what it is for!

The shipping rate and speed was Amazing! It was delivered to my house in literally 2 1/2 days. I put the order in at about 2am and it was almost instantly approved and shipped around 9am that morning. I never seen that kinda speed from any company out of state! Even knowing it was Microsoft, I was happy about that!

The mouse is small (obviously) but I have had no problems with it at all. I plugged it in to my notebook, signed in and it worked just fine. I of course had to go to my mouse settings and change it to my likings, but other then that I do not see anything wrong with the product! The plastic is similar to normal mouses you would use, simple just in a compact size.

I give it a good rating and suggest this a buy to anyone looking for a COMPACT MOUSE for a notebook or laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars short cord, February 18, 2011
BEWARE the cord on this mouse will not reach to the back of a desktop, other than that it works well

Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 - Black