5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable Reference Tool
I spend a lot of time writing Excel macros for my current employer and I can tell you that Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA has been an invaluable tool. I was familiar with VBA (novice level) before purchasing the book and I feel I've been learning new code at an exponential rate thanks to John Walkenbach's exceptionally clear examples. You really can do some...
Published on October 14, 2000 by Andrew Tonkovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Not tutorial
I previously rated this book at four stars, but the more I use it the less I like it.
The main problems are organization and insight. Information is scattered throughout the book, and its utility is not apparent. The reader must invent just what might work, and guess just where in the book the igredients of solution are stashed. If you can't visualize an approach...
Published on May 2, 2000 by johare4

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple explanations for a complex subject, February 19, 2002
This review is from: Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA (Paperback)
In the same way that PC World columnist, John Walkenbach, simplified our lives with 'Excel 2000 Formulas', he has now enriched them with 'Power Programming with VBA'. If you've already mastered Excel and need to develop customized applications, this book will soon have you deep into the inner workings of VBA to get you up and writing code without delay.
As with his other books, his style is clear and precise, and the text is arranged in a simple-to-reference way. The page layout is excellent, giving easy-on-the-eye icon notes, references and tips. Even so, as with 'Excel 2000 Formulas' I quickly found myself in charge of a colored highlighter picking out the bits that were important to me. The author also has a flowing style of writing so you don't feel you're working through a manual, It's more like a fun day out, with new discoveries on every page.
VBA had always remained something of a mystery to me until I got stuck into 'Power Programming'. Now (still with a bit of prompting) I'm really getting the hang of it, and finding, again, that I can streamline my workbooks and impress my colleagues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool and reference manual, April 2, 2003
By A Customer
I have several books on Excel VBA and this is by far the best. Actually, it is the only one I use. The explanations are very thorough and example code generally follows to give you a clear-cut picture of what the author is talking about. Plus, the author uses general code examples rather than making them specific to a certain group (i.e. just for businesses, etc...).
The best thing about this book is the ability to find "real-life" examples. For instance, I'll be sitting there thinking "I wonder how you....", I look in the book, and voila! the author has exactly what I wanted. It seems the examples came/come from real-life situations that the author may have come across in his experience and wrote them down knowing others would benefit.
The language of the book is a mix between a reference manual and the comical writing seen in the "Dummies" books. So it's easy to read, but gets to the point giving you answers you need without making them too technical or too silly.
I highly recommend this book for all levels. Great for beginners and great as a reference manual once you have an idea of what you want to do, but can't remember how to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, November 4, 1999
By A Customer
I had absolutely no knowledge of the Excel object model but was an intermediate-level Excel user before getting Mr. Walkenbach's book. I read the first 300 pages of the book in a week; his presentation is transparent and crafted in a way that makes the material difficult to forget. Within a week I had written a non-trivial application. I have since read his first 2 chapters on UserForms and started using them in applications. Again, excellent presentation and great results. I don't know if this book was intended for beginners, but it surely worked for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough, but ...., May 8, 2000
By A Customer
John Walkenbach IS the Excel king but...he needs to better address the real power behind Excel 2000's integration with the web and Universal Data Access (UDA). When your Excel custom application is ready for interface with unlimited data sources, you'll need to look elswhere. True, he does discuss earlier Excel methods of retrieving data, but these methods are so outdated. ADO and MDAC is how you'll want to feed your Excel appl with data. This subject deserves its own chapter not a passing couple of statements. Don't even bother with ODBC, DAO, Jet, or RDO. You'll do yourself a favor by learning ADO & MDAC but that's when you'll move beyond the scope of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excel_ent, well structured source for excel, March 28, 2000
I had a few VBA books at home, but none of those have been a great help to me. While others go too deap not covering all the topics, others only scratch the surface. Other problem is that mostly books are about VBA in general, so there are much about powerpoint, access and word. Haven't been able to find a good book about excel VBA before this. When I got a serious job developing excel-solutions, I knew that I have to get a better resource. I found this book by amazon reviews and must say that this is one of the best books I have ever seen. The book is smartly structured by topics (great when you don't want to read it all through), So when you want to find about charts or userforms or commandbars, there is one chapter just for that and nothing else. Finding needful information is easy and fast. Secondly, while the book cover all the excel related issues, it dont go all that deep and text is kept quite short. you can find helpful facts easyly and read the rest from VBA help files.
As a summary, high price but all worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will use this !, April 17, 2002
Having this book for even the short time since I bought it has been like having an "instant success kit" that transforms me into an Excel VBA Guru.
Its organization, layout, and even simply its appearance make it a pleasure to use and a massively useful companion for developers.
Another thing I like about it is that, unlike most books - which are either comic-book level manuals (i.e., glorified pamphlets) for non-technical people, or super-technical tomes of gobbledigook that won't help you do anything until you've mastered at least the first 800 pages - you can actually use this book for any level of expertise you'll need, anywhere from "I just want to get a user form in there for filling in a template" to "I'm gonna knock their socks off by integrating this into their business objects layer with logic-driven pivot table creators"
The explanations are coherent, the examples are clear and well-illustrated, and the companion CD has a lot of pre-written code you can plagia... um, learn from in developing your own solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're serious about getting the full power of Excel, May 11, 2000
I wrote an earlier review and this only increases my star rating from 5!
No question about the utility of this book if you're serious about getting the full power from Excel.
I bought it when it was first released and have read it cover to cover twice. It also serves as a constant source of reference because VBA is hands on and mere reading only gives you the guide to what can be done. When you need to do it - go back to the book and the basics are there.
Well written with occasional sparkling humour. No padding or extensive copying from online help.
Criticisms? Perhaps needs extending to more advanced areas but if you have absorbed the full text you should be able to develop on your own with the assistance of News Groups where John is a non-self promoting contributor.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best One Out There, July 25, 2001
By A Customer
If you plan on writing Excel applications or macros, the first thing to do is get this book. After floundering in the wilderness for a month or two while trying to write a heavy-duty Excel application, I finally invested in this book, and it paid off in a hurry. Not all of my questions were answered, but most of them were. And for those that weren't, the book taught me how to go about finding the answers.
My original idea was to build a worksheet with macros, and then pass that worksheet on to others. But this book showed me that this approach will lead to nothing but headaches. What you need to do is build an Excel Add-in. That way you can isolate and protect the code, rather than having it duplicated in every worksheet. Plus, if you plan on using your own menus and toolbars, an Add-in saves you the hassle of trying to manage them and their registries on different machines.
But besides Add-ins, this book does an outstanding job of teaching what everyone wants to know: how to create dialogue boxes, extract values from worksheets, perform calculations on them, and transfer the results back into the worksheet via tables or graphs. Nice job, John!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read, November 13, 2002
Accordning to Walkenbach this book is the best he have ever wrote. I will expand that a bit and say - this is the best PC book I've ever read.
First of all the book aim for a "typical" moderate/good Excel user, mayby with knowledge about VB(A). I had programmed some VB and know Excel, and felt through the entire book that Walkenbach wrote to "me" (or, at least a user with my skills).
Second, the book is written in an easy-to-read language, with good examples and build up in a perfekt way.
This book has helped me from knowing little about VBA into my current job where I develop client/server applications in VB/SQL.
The book does what it promise: Lead you into a power programmer...

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY book you need on Excel programming, July 23, 1999
By A Customer
I have been waiting for a revised edition to the previous book which involved power programming with Excel 95 (Excel 97 was skipped). My knowledge of Excel increased exponentially with this book, both in programming skills and overall Excel functionality. The examples on the CD ROM provide a way to learn with concrete examples. These sample code modules can be modified and there are so many worthwhile code snippets that the price of the book is well worth it on code samples alone. The new book for Excel 2000 takes advantage of the new VBA in Excel 97 and 2000 and it follows with the same easy to use format and explanation of concepts as the previous one. Because of this book, I have been able to work as a consultant and instructor in Excel programming - it is that well written. If you want to learn more about making Excel 97/2000 work the way you work, then you MUST get this book !

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA
Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach (Paperback - May 21, 1999)
$49.99 $36.02