5.0 out of 5 stars Expression Web 4 learning made easier
I have been trying to get my head around developing a web page. HTML, CSS, tags open and close, proper code, I have found it draining to say the least.

Published on December 6, 2010 by Gary C. Johansen

2.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Content Sabotaged by Publisher and Pace of Change
It takes time to research, write, publish, and sell a reference book on complex software, and if the standards and conditions are changing, traditional publishing and distribution face serious challenges.

Published on March 24, 2012 by Buck Field

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Expression Web 4 learning made easier, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Expression Web 4 LiveLessons (Video Training) (DVD-ROM)

Microsoft helped out with their Expression Studio Web 4 Professional software. But I have been reading books and working through examples but it is slow going and I am struggling to make the link between what is on the written page and what it is actually doing on the web page.

And then EXPRESSION WEB 4 LIVELESSONS ARRIVED!!!

It is much easier to follow. Morten Rand-Hendriken knows his subject and does a great job showing me how it works. I am finding it easier to watch as Morten does his magic in front of me, while describing how he is doing it using Expression Web 4 and immediately seeing what the end result is on the page using video.

This is even more enlightening when learning and working with CSS.

While I am still learning Expression Web 4, I am finding some of the tricks and built in functions very useful.

As I am just learning the subject matter I really can not comment on the accuracy of the content or if it represents the best practices (however he has exemplary credentials).

I am learning more in a few hours with the videos than I have struggling for days and days with the books.

I think EXPRESSION WEB 4 LIVELESSONS is a great value.

SIDE NOTE

MS Expression Studio Web 4 Professional upgrade is an incredible value on Amazon!! AND you do not have to be a registered user of an earlier version of Expression Studio to qualify for the upgrade, any licensed Microsoft Office owner also qualifies for the upgrade program.

From MS Site

You must be a licensed user of one of the following products to be eligible for this upgrade version:
Any Microsoft Expression product
Any Adobe Creative Suite
Any Microsoft Office product

4.0 out of 5 stars Live Lessons / Expression Web 4 / Morten Rand-Hendriksen, January 21, 2011
jonojazz (Anderson, IN USA) - See all my reviews
Very clear and concise instructions. I purchased the video, along with a book, to evaluate MS Expression Web 4. The reviews on MS Expression Web 4 have been very mixed with one of the more positive feedbackss being, "better than Expression Web 3." The video has made me feel a little better about purchasing either the Ultimate or Profession version. I'm trying to determine if I need the Ultimate or if I can make due with the Professional. Great video!

2.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Content Sabotaged by Publisher and Pace of Change, March 24, 2012

Much (most?) lesson content like practice files needed for exercises shown in the video appear missing from the disc. While the presenter is an expert and gives clear instructions of a great demo site, the package becomes unusable at Lesson 7...out of 26 or 27.

I just found a different set of data files is available at: [...] If you Sign up for a Que account, (email required), click "Register you Product", enter: "0789747227". I clicked "Support" since the missing data is a defect, but the publisher has chosen to categorize required data files under "Bonus Content". Rating dropped from 3 stars for incompetence to 2 stars for incompetence combined with forced registration in order to be subjected to insulting arrogance with a pinch of corporate cowardice. Fess up, Que: required files are not "Bonus Content"! I have not completed the course, so I can't tell if the new zip file contains everything needed.

In addition to earlier material for EW which is out of date, Lesson 8 features out of date instructions for Flickr, which now make little sense.

Readers may be skeptical of 5 star reviewers don't seem to think that being unable to use 75-80% of the product is worth prominently noting for others on their review. One simply has to wonder if they really went through the lessons.

2012.03.25 Update: Now in Lesson 13, I'm convinced this should be a digital download product. Outdated EW functions, website examples, and links to recommended online tools simply have changed and moved too quickly for this form of distribution. I look forward to, and have pre-ordered the author's upcoming Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Expression Web 4 in 24 Hours: Updated for Service Pack 2 - HTML5, CSS 3, JQuery (2nd Edition) (Sams Teach Yourself -- Hours), and plan to work on it ASAP before the window of being (relatively) current closes.

In Lesson 20, creation of a style "#menu ul li a" appears to have been accidentally cut, so at 09:42, the available styles list goes from "#menu ul li" to "#menu ul ul", whereas at 10:07 this new style magically appears as already entered into styles.css between those styles as the presenter begins modifying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Under My Nose All This Time, September 18, 2011
I have two companies for which I created rudamentary websites in the days of Frontpage. Over time, I did enough reading to learn the general idea behind CSS and how desirable it was to use standards compliant website coding to enhance search engine placement. That was why I bought the first version of Expression Web. But to be honest, Expression Web appeared to me to me to be an ad hoc set of ways to make modifications to a website, and I never got an Expression Web gestalt. Until I watched the Expression Web 4 LiveLessons, the panels and the icons in Expresson Web seemed too irrelevant to my coding tasks. I hand code a lot of my pages and my CSS, never understanding how helpful Expression Web could be in those regards.

Then I trained on Microsoft Expression Web 4 LiveLessons Video Training. My view of Expression Web has changed as a result. Morten Rand-Hendricksen has created a superb set of instructional videos that take you logically through your website building tasks and show you how to accomplish those tasks in Expression Web. In order to accomplish this, Morten had to find a way to explain CSS to the viewer. That is a vast topic on its own. Morten's training videos taught me things about CSS, and particularly about the box model, that I could not figure out on my own. The CSS portions are sufficiently thorough so that they would be useful to a person who had no interest in Microsoft Expression Web and who just wanted to learn CSS.

These lessons held my attention, and when I finished them all, I wanted more. They did leave me with some unanswered questions:
1. Microsoft Expression Web makes "layers" available to users. They are divs that are absolutely placed. The video lessons do not treat layers, and I am left to wonder whether they have any legitimate place in web standards compliant website coding, or whether they are a crutch.
2. I would have found it useful to hear more about when to use designs that float and when to use designs that are anchored.
3. I would have loved to learn some techniques specifically applicable to putting together product pages.

The fact that I am able to articulate these unanswered questions is all to Morten's credit, as he did a superb job of teaching me the concepts that inspire those questions. I loved his instructional video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expression Web 4 LiveLessons, January 22, 2012
"LiveLessons for Expression Web 4" is exceptional. The Amazon review system is based on five (5) stars; I give "LiveLessons" "DOUBLE 5" -- 10 STARS! Be prepared to listen carefully and learn both the technical vocabulary and programming techniques of web design and "Expression Web 4" as you proceed through each lesson. "LiveLessons" is the best software learning tool that I have ever used in my forty-five (45) years of learning and applying software. I went down the road of using a "graphics" based website program (Homestead/Intuit) because I did not want to learn yet another programming language (HTML and CSS). Unfortunately Intuit's optimization of the Homestead website software is now making the Homestead Website software more difficult to use for continued development of my website [...]; my solution is "MicroSoft Expression Studio 4". "LiveLessons" and "Expression Web 4" make learning HTML and CSS relatively easy on a self-taught basis. I found that by duplicating each lesson exercise using "Expression Web 4" assured that I understood each technique and the points Morten made in the lesson, I cannot emphasize this enough; do each "hands-on exercise" because there are subtle points in the lessons that the "hands-on exercise" will bring out and reinforce. The "LiveLessons" menu system allows the student to choose any lesson they want to view. The progress slide (at the bottom of the lesson screen) allows you to choose any point (minute) within the lesson that you want to view; the "minute location" is displayed as you move the slide. This makes it easy to make reference of key techniques you may want to revisit later plus makes it a snap to find them!

I also purchased "Introducing Microsoft Expression Studio" and "Sam's Teach Yourself Expression Web 4 in 24 Hours". I read "Introducing Microsoft Expression Studio" first to gain an understanding of the three (3) programs (Web 4, Design 4, and Encoder 4) included in "Microsoft Expression Studio 4". Next I viewed the "LiveLessons" followed by reading "Sam's Teach Yourself Expression Web 4 in 24 Hours"; last I viewed a "YouTube" "Expression Web 4" training video [...]. Each of the four (4) "Expression Web 4"training sources provided me with unique information plus duplicate information that reinforced key concepts and techniques. The "YouTube" video includes some key syntax and computer programing basics that are not covered by the other three (3) "Expression Web 4" training sources.

If you want a basic website then buy "LiveLessons" and use the templates included with "Expression Web 4". You will need to understand the HTML and CSS concepts explained by "LiveLessons" to use the templates. "LiveLessons" also provides training on debugging and publishing website pages.

If you want a detailed website like mine [...] then "Expression Web 4" (and "LiveLessons") is the way to go. Be prepared to spend a lot of hours learning the technical vocabulary, concepts, and web design techniques. The "Design View" in "Expression Web 4" is a "WYSIWYG based Editor" not a "Graphics based Editor"; that means you must learn HTML and CSS coding techniques to effectively use "Expression Web 4". However, BE INFORMED "Expression Web 4" includes a HTML and CSS editor called "IntelliSense". "IntelliSense" handles the HTML and CSS programming details and code error (syntax) checking. "LiveLessons" provides ample training on "IntelliSense". "IntelliSense" makes doing HTML and CSS programming (coding) easy. I find using "IntelliSense" to do HTML and CSS page layout easier than using the Homestead (now Intuit) graphics based system.

Thanks to "LiveLessons Web 4" I am spending less time learning HTML, CSS, and "Expression Web 4" in depth than I spent learning the "Homestead (now Intuit) Graphics Based System" in depth!

4.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT order this item yet. Production problem., December 11, 2010
J. Lewis (Lake Oswego, OR United States) - See all my reviews
The version I received during early December, 2010 does not include practice files for Lessons 7-15. This appears to be an excellent product, but, on the edition I received at least, this omission prevents you from using it. I have notify the author, QUE Publishing, and Amazon about this problem. Watch this space, as I will update it once I know the problem is solved.

Update: Please see Morten's link to the two missing files below. This solves the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but..., May 17, 2011
I got a lot out of this video presentation but the buyer should understand a couple of things first. I tried to perform all the steps right along with the instructor but I found that I had to pause the video many times to type in text. I also had to move the windows around the screen so often that it got frustrating. The instruction is very valuable, however. I think I will probably need to re-view the video at least once more (and, perhaps, write down the steps as he gives them). It would probably be much easier to view the video on one PC and perform all the steps at the same time on another PC-if you have that option. I think you would still need to pause the video a few times but it would still be worth it. The resulting website is terrific.

The disk is also missing an image file that you will need. It's called "OlympicTorch.jpg." I sent an e-mail to the publisher and they sent it to me within a couple of days.

By the way, the DVD comes in a box that is much too much packaging for what it contains. It doesn't even include a jewel case to protect the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than expected., December 25, 2011
The last time I developed a website was early 2001 using Frontpage. I purchased MS Expression Studio a few weeks ago and quickly figured out my past knowledge of Frontpage wasn't going to help me understand the newest version of Expression. Watching this DVD I was able to learn complex features of Expression in only two days. This was better tban purchasing a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Explained, November 29, 2011
Microsoft Expression Web 4, LiveLessons took all the padding associated with long winded epic bible sized guides, removing it and delivered only the essentials that any junior developer needs to get started. I have volumes of IT guides on my shelf and I spend forever skimming though bloated chapters that over-explain in granular detail. This LiveSession package removes the need for countless page turning and gives the average punter a chance to simply learn. I'm not after certification, that's why this learning package is so handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great instruction, September 30, 2011
I'm a fairly novice web designer and I hate trying to read manuals or how to books on technical things like programming. This is a very clear and concise how to guide. I wish I could've learned everything in school this way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Microsoft Expression Web 4 LiveLessons (Video Training)
Microsoft Expression Web 4 LiveLessons (Video Training) by Morten Rand-Hendriksen (DVD-ROM - December 3, 2010)
Used & New from: $60.86