5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Resource
I'm an instrument-rated private pilot. Although Flight Simulator isn't a perfect substitute for real-world flying, it does have its pros (not least of which is that it doesn't cost $139/hr to rent 'wet.')

Published on January 3, 2008 by US Reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Risky Prelude To Flight Instruction
Published on October 3, 2011 by Jonathan Funke

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Resource, January 3, 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training (Paperback)

I've had this book since October, and I love it. (I would have loved it even more if I'd had it several years ago when I was earning my license and ratings. It's THAT helpful.)

What I'd add to the other reviews is that the two authors -- both flight instructors -- do an excellent job of pointing out where Flight Simulator-flying and real-world flying differ, as, for instance, in ATC communication, available IFR clearances, and the operation of the G1000.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Serious Flight Sim Enthusiasts!, August 6, 2007
FS Real World Training is an invaluable book. Although I had already 'passed' many of the flight lessons in FSX I still didn't feel confident about my flying skills. There were too many things that were left (excuse the expression) hanging in the air. When I bought this book I started at the beginning feeling like a newbie all over again. Many points that I missed before are explained fully and in detail and finally it is all making sense. As a result I am enjoying my flight simulator more than ever. Aside from the wealth of interesting and informative detail I think the most important thing is that the reader gets to make connections. The information connects from one chapter to the next and consequently, step by step, everything fits together. Going through this book is an immensely enjoyable experience. An added bonus are the generous number of free mission files and charts available on the wiley. com web site which are enjoyable and extremely useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars For simulator pilots too!, October 3, 2007
Although the title of this outstanding teaching manual indicates it is for real pilots using Microsoft's Flight Simulator as a teaching tool I can enthusiastically recommend it for simulator pilots as well.

I learned so much from the authors who are real world pilots & instructors I hadn't learned from other available sources. I consider when I finish the manual with the missions included I will have completed real VFR & IFR instruction even though I am not a real world pilot & confine my flying to Flight Sim only.

The book is eminently practical as a good teaching manual should be. It offers a stepwise approach to flight training from the Piper Cub to the twin-engine Beechcraft Baron & beyond. A novice completely unfamiliar with simulator flying could use this book from the beginning to become competent in VFR flight before even thinking about sophisticated avionics & instrument flying. It is crammed full of practical tips & offers context for the theory of flight which can be gleaned from other sources.

There is a bunch of extra resources available at the publisher's website which extend the material even more. One can download approach plates & the like for the included missions.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for simulator pilots; it is simply wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars MS Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training, June 4, 2008
KJM (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This is a good book for real pilots who would like to improve their MS Flight Simulator experience, as well as for non-pilots who would like to become pilots. The book is written in simple terms so the new student will understand, but there is clearly enough there to benefit the accomplished pilot both from a aviation knowledge and simulation point of view. I am an ATP and CFI and have found nuggets of wisdom that I will use in flying and teaching. Mostly I am making my flight simulator experience richer and more fun by getting to know the software and online world better. My simulator is complete with yoke, multi-engine throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-function panel, and three monitors. The only disappointment so far in the book is the recommendation that you open multiple views on one screen, without recommending adding another monitor and opening the view there. I have found that with multiple monitors I can effectively fly VFR by looking out the left window (left monitor), placing the instrument panel and forward looking screen on the middle monitor, and radio equipment on the right monitor. This is also ideal for IFR practice, which I do every day. I also use FS2004 (not FSX) and still find the book germane, even though it is not specific to my older version.

Even though I own two airplanes, I still fly MS Flight Simulator because I can practice to perfection procedures that make my real world flying much better. This book helps me reach that goal. I am looking forward to continually expanding my sim experience, and maybe I'll see you online!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABOUT TIME, August 29, 2007
Finally a book that takes nothing for granted and has one eager to get started with FSX. I followed one of their MANY helpful suggestions and took the book out to a flying school. From CFI's, (you'll find out what that is in the first chapter) to students, their praise was unanimous. I'm 77 years old and although I don't plan to take flying lessons, this book whets one's appetite and desire to get started. The book not only covers flying but also gives excellent information on just what power does your computer need to run the program as well as having a section that deals with Windows Vista. Sincerest congratulations to the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best training book I have, April 17, 2008
Mark Fletcher (Apex, NC United States) - See all my reviews
My opinion is anybody who gives this book less than five stars is REALLY hard to please or has some pet peeve they can't turn loose of.

I have spent (wasted in many cases) lots of money and time on GA training books in the past and ignored this one for quite a while as "just another book on flying." When I saw the price drop below $20, I decided to take a risk. Wow! This could be the best training book I have every bought. I hate to be dramatic about that but honestly, I probably have fifteen books of this nature and this is the clearest, most well laid out of any of them. I love the way the authors bring FSX into the training as yet another tool to help you practice your technique. The online material (especially the films) are very helpful too. It is obvious these guys did not write this book because they are "professional authors" but because they really do love flight training.

This book is a labor of love and you would do yourself a disservice by passing it by.

2.0 out of 5 stars Risky Prelude To Flight Instruction, October 3, 2011
I wanted very much to like this book, and am respectful of the work and depth of knowledge that went into it. In fact, it did whet my appetite as I investigated flight schools. The tone is inviting, the organization progressive and sensible in theory. The quotes are interesting, and several sidebars represent first looks at concepts you'll encounter in more depth in ground school.

Unfortunately, as I progressed through real-world training, several pitfalls of this course came to light:

- They start you in an old Piper Cub. It's a romantic choice, but wrong-headed: it's a chore just to taxi, and several engine gauges and flight instruments that you need to know about in a typical 172 trainer -- which is available in FSX -- are missing. You end up spending more time experiencing the hazards of taildraggers, when you should be learning to start up and aviate a standard tricycle gear airplane.

- They start you off with a loop around a lake. But combining a safe and successful taxi, takeoff, pattern (of sorts) and landing is the culmination of a major phase of flight training -- not an introduction. Maybe with an instructor there to execute and explain, but not as a *substitute* for the instructor!

- The historical sensibility they bring to the narrative is often appealing, but sometimes simply archaic. For example, in my Part 141 program, instructors blanch at the prospect of a student relying on the "CIGAR" mnemonic instead of a formal checklist. The authors' approach risks forming bad habits in the minds of students.

- While errors in the text are rare, those that exist are frustrating. A faulty reference to "East" instead of "West" in the directions can turn what should be simple training tip into a ten-minute head-scratching exercise.

- Several staples of stick-and-rudder training are simply beyond the realm of FSX. For example, navigating around a point and dealing with wind are core subjects and, in the abstract, should be covered in any coursebook. But in practice, they require peripheral sight and kinesthetic cues unavailable in FSX. The authors are therefore wrong to push a student along with FSX as they would in an actual course of training. They instead should have recognized the limitations of FSX explicitly, and proceeded to areas of greater promise for simulated training.

FSX is an amazing tool for learning: I discovered the perils of left-turning tendency, ground effect, crossed controls in tight turns, and ballooning on short final in my living room. In fact, inspired by Langewiesche's classic "Stick and Rudder," I spent productive time in slow flight before ever stepping into a Cessna.

I wish these excellent writers and experienced pilots had gone this route. Had they painted brighter lines between their appealing narrative and their concrete instruction, and stuck to areas of study where FSX is of educational value with explicit relevance to modern aircraft, they might have produced a slimmer book that meaningfully complemented formal flight training. Instead, they risk confusing or confounding prospective students, and may well complicate their path to the sport, recreational or private pilot certificate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Right on target for real world flyers!, February 17, 2010
M. Howard (Tampa, Fl. U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
When I first looked at this book what really came out was the fact the authors recognized that Flight Simulator 10 (FSX) offered limited ability to view your surroundings. A reality which resulted in many users of FSX focusing excessively on instrumentation which is the exact opposite of expectations in real world flight unless of course your flying under instrument flight rules.

Upon getting started with the book I decided to take things from the beginning even though I had previously mastered the basics of flying real airplanes. I can without doubt tell you this book brings a new vision to FSX and presents learning how to fly from a far different perspective than the tutorials and missions alone which come with FSX.

The way the authors have presented the material teaches the importance of focusing on whats outside the aircraft. This is so very critical if you plan on flying real aircraft. Critical for your safety, getting to your destination (VFR), and the safety of your aircraft, other aircraft, and everything on the ground including other people.

I can only applaud this approach to flying with FSX. Frankly I believe the way the authors present development of flying skills is a better approach than that deployed with FSX because it brings the importance of focusing on activity outside the plane into primary consideration. Isn't this why we fall in love with flying for the most part anyway? Think about it when you made the decision to learn to fly was it based on the planes dash board and controls or being able to sail effortlessly through the sky and marvel at the beauty of the clouds and the scenery below?

The one thing which I did have a desire to change when first beginning to read the book was to use a different plane other than the Piper Cub. A plane which was more sophisticated, faster, and complex to fly, but that's when the reasoning of the authors became fully understood. Picking the Cub as the trainer was more a necessity to teach us focus on the skill and art of flight and in the real world.

I was also very impressed with the fact that the book went beyond FSX and simulator flight by providing the details of differences between simulators and flying real airplanes. Simple things like the actual engine start procedure for the Cub were pointed out for example as was discussion of back pressure on the stick or yoke differs away from simulation in a real plane. Discussion of readjustment of FSX control settings were presented to help readers master the skills being taught. All of this is essential to those using FSX who desire to fly the real planes. This kind of instruction helps us understand why simulators are a great learning tool and also where they fail to paint the whole picture of flight.

For the downside I felt it would be advantageous to have had color photographs of images in FSX. Those color images however were presented as downloads from the publishers website along with simulation scenarios to be loaded and used while practicing what the book presented.

If the photos had been in color and a few other small details of how to setup of the down-loadable files had been present I would have given the book 5 full stars. Let there be no doubt as to the teaching intent and presentation of the words, for that I do give this book a full 5 stars relative to the audience to whom it is targeted. This is a should read for anyone who has an interest in learning to fly a real plane and who desires to use FSX to help them augment the learning process. Sharing what you are learning with your flight school instructor is a great idea and giving them a copy of the book to read and follow along with you is even better.

This book along with the instruction which came with FSX will go a very long way to helping any new pilot and it is also a good refresher for those who have already learned the flight skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a pilot, December 4, 2007
It's a lie. The title. That's what the lie is.

I'm no pilot and don't play one on TV either. This book is terrific -- accessible, filled with facts any vicarious pilot will love, and filled with information on such things as how to get free aerial maps.

How do those VOR and NAV things work? This book will tell you and entertain you at the same time.

It's a labor of love from two guys who know both the material AND how to present it. This is the one to buy. Outstanding! I can't even begin to offer a suggestion for improving it. And, despite the tone of this review, I'm ALWAYS wishing for things that aren't present when I look at instructional materials.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for old, experienced eyes., July 1, 2010
I "was" a private pilot, instrument rating, approx. 800hrs with both multi-engine (Twin Comanche and Cessna 310) and jet (Lear Jet & Citation II) time; the last time I flew a general aviation airplane was April 1, 1986. I've always loved flying and decided to satisfy the urge with using a flight simulator- I presently have Flight Simulator 2004, that I bought 5 yrs ago, but used it sparingly. I read about Flight Simulator X a few months ago, decided as a refresher to use 2004, brought the "Flight Simulator X for Pilots Real World Training" as a companion piece and off I went into the "wild blue yonder". The organization, and thoughtfulness in the presentation of the book is exceptional, compared with the training mannuals of the early 1970s. Because of the book and other research, I decided to buy FSX, upgrade by computer and add the new Cessna Mustang and Beech B60 Duke as add-on. If I stick with it I'm sure it will give new life to these old eyes and reflexs.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training
Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training by Jeff Van West (Paperback - June 18, 2007)
$29.99 $21.08