on September 27, 2009
Verified Purchase
Microsoft has released a great game, very deep in simulation (maybe too much!). However it is great the idea to put the game and its expansion on a single box... so you can have everything about Flight Simulator X at a very competitive price. If you love flight simulators... buy it!
on April 20, 2009
Verified Purchase
The obvious flight sim for beginner flyers that want to actually learn to fly a plane (no arcade crap here)...

Microsoft flight development team was layed off.. so dont expect any patches... Many add ons created by a handful of companies though.

I was a bit disappointed in the sceneray graphics... I have all graphics turned all the way up and the ground still does not look realistic... I am just picky, yet I play a 10 year old flight sime "Falcon 4.0" and have Hitiles installed-> very awesome realistic scenery... I would of thought MS could have done more photorealistic scenery...

Overall though--> great sim with realistic forces.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2010
When I bought FSX, I was expecting I could have it and FS 2004 on my system at the same time. No such luck. Evem with FS 2004 uninstalled and its directories deleted, FSX still knows FS2004 had been on the computer (register entries, I'm sure).

I had a problem with a fan on high all the time. I thought it was a fan problem, but even with FS2004, I had a really low frame rate so I decided the high speed fan was a symptom of the computer thinking the microprocessor was too hot, and making it insert wait states. Once I fixed the problem (loose wire), I stopped having performance issues (with the game, that is).

FSX might not be all that realistic, but it is helping me learn division of attention at a lot less than $200/hour. I have the controls set to maximum sensitivity and zero null space, and programmed elevator trim and aileron trim to my control yoke (the version previous to the CH Eclipse).

There are a lot of add-ins: Scenery, Flying School, and ATC VOX are the ones I have. I even bought a converter to go between an Aviation Headset and a USB port so using ATC VOX will be more realistic.

Also, FSX and FS 2004 both support 3-D graphics. My video card supports red/cyan glasses 3D as well as 3D Vision goggles. The goggles are $199, and a compatible monitor is $300 to $400. I'm not quite ready to spend that much, so I bought a pair of 3D clip-ons for $9.00.

I have a couple books on using FSX as an aid in learning to fly, and another on learning to use the G1000. I'll eventually get a better simulator for learning the G1000. (The Garmin G430 and G530 have free simulators, and the G-1000 is $24.95). [...] has a simulator/tutorial for $100.

I care more about frame rate than scenery, so I'm not doing detailed graphics. If/when I want to cruise/sight see, I'll turn the graphics up and take the performance hit.
on June 23, 2009
Verified Purchase
Great for performing basic procedures checks and flying around your local airport so you can get acquainted with the view out of the cockpit for navigation purposes. Flight dynamics are acceptable (I use the c-172) but without accurate control feedback there is little to be gained on how to truly fly the airplane. However, it has been a time saver for me as I learn to fly the real C-172.
on January 6, 2010
Don't get me wrong, this is a great game. But I can't give it more than three stars because X-Plane 9 is far superior to MS Flight Simulator X-Gold.

While the user-base for both games are still growing, Microsoft is not making any more flight sims. While X-Plane 9 constantly has patches being released for it, and new sequels are always being released.

Also, if you are looking for a hardcore flight sim, X-Plane is more realistic. All I'm saying is that MSFSX is more of a game than a sim.

So, if you want to a more challenging sim, go with X-Plane 9.
on January 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
This Game is listed for Windows 7, but it lockes my computer once in a while. I was checking for problems on Microsoft's website. Microsoft has a webpage were it shows what is compatible with what operating system. Flight simulator is only compatible with Windows 7 32bit edition. Not Windows 7 64bit!!! I should have done my research better first. The game is very nice as long as it works. (Amazon please list it as only for windows 7 32bit)
on December 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
No one should sell, or buy this product expecting it to be a current, functional and supported simulation!
As a former pilot, I hoped Flight Simulator X Gold Edition would bring back some of they experiences I enjoyed so much as a private pilot. Certainly the hype lead me to expect that it would. But, after installation, and some pretty graphics, I began to experience many unexpected and unwelcome problems. Many of the features, such as the pilot log book function, simply do not work. Others, such as the "escape" command to leave a flight, or using the "map-navigation" button on the cockpit display, result in the immediate and drastic "Fatal Error Encountered" pop-up, and Flight Simulator is restarting, leaving me with un completed flight or mission, as well as failing to save the airplane configuration and set up file, and failing to save the flight as commanded, for future use. There are (many?) other glitches I haven't time to specify.
Searching online I have learned that Microsoft has some time ago completely abandoned this product, that it was not intended to, and will not work on updated operating systems (I bought a very expensive and capable new computer just for this program) and that many if not most recent buyers are experiencing the same problems, and more. There are many posts with suggestions about how users might fix the glitches by using one of the newer or older drivers, or by installing and removing various files within the Flight Simulator program.
The suggestions all have an unlikely prognosis, sometimes successful, most times not. However, you would have to be a software/hardware engineer to understand the descriptions and jargon used to describe what enthusiasts are having to attempt in order to enjoy the flight simulation experience that is promised.
Bottom line, this is an old program and does not function even remotely reliably on modern PC's or with modern operating systems! And, it is no longer supported by Microsoft, or anyone else. If you buy it only other frustrated users of varying backgrounds and qualifications can offer what might or might not turn out to be helpful suggestions.
I was a reasonably competent pilot, and I can reliably operate my PC for many routine functions. I am able to download, install and enjoy several other enjoyable games. However, I do not have the degree of in-depth computer hardware and software programs to trouble shoot and repair this glitchy and disappointing flight program. It doesn't cost much, but at any price this is a waste of money! I am reminded of an old saying which seems to apply; Beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2011
Purchased Flight Simulator X Gold Edition for use on a brand new computer, moving up from FS 2002. Has NOT been a good experience in comparison with prior versions.

IT'S BUGGY!! Version X isn't ready for current OS or hardware. MS website says Windows 7 is supported, package says XP or Vista with no mention of 7. Installed on the system described below - constant freezes and crashes. Forums are full of threads on this issue, not clear whether it's a Windows 7 or 64-bit OS problem. Both MS and non-MS forums contain multiple recommendations and KB's on how to get it working, including one that recommends deleting a Windows 7 DLL (really??!! - fix issue by deleting an OS component?? A MICROSOFT OS component??). Don't buy for a current OS unless you're willing to do lots of tinkering.

NEW ACTIVATION SCHEME NOT DISCLOSED - FS X adds a mandatory product activation which isn't mentioned on the package, the FS website, or any reseller's product description that I've seen. Until activated, the product is crippled - sessions max 30 minutes, and some functionality disabled. Product can be reinstalled/reactivated without limitation on the SAME computer, but only ONE additional time on a NEW SYSTEM - including a new motherboard. I generally don't have any issue with product activation schemes, but it should be clearly disclosed because it's an add a layer of hassle and potential problems. And the current environment with Intel initiating a huge recall for Sandybridge P67/H67 chipset mobo's, makes it an even bigger problem. Replacement motherboards won't be available for at least 2-3 months, at which point my computer appears to FSX as a new system - requiring I use up the second activation then instead of down the road on an actual new computer. Either that, or run in crippled trial mode for months until the motherboard recall occurs. Finally, I don't imagine the cutting-edge gamer type who upgrades hardware once a year will be at all enthused about the activation scheme.

DISAPPOINTING IMPROVEMENTS FROM PRIOR VERSION - Finally, though it's billed as a big improvement over previous products for realism, I'd give it a 20% improvement over FS 2002. More small details on the airports. A tad more detail in a few cities. Cars running down the road, but roads still disappear into mountains and reappear on the other side. I'll find a line of high-tension power transmission towers running across in the middle of nowhere, but entire cities in the area are missing. I don't expect Google Maps level of realism on two DVD's, but did expect a little more than this delivered. Even without the first two issues, I'd rate FS X a three-star on this point alone.

Between the buggy behavior, and interaction of the activation scheme with Intel's motherboard recall, I'm just throwing this in the drawer for now. Not sure whether I'll mess with it down the road, or just resell it.

System: P67 Asrock mobo, Intel Core i5 2500k processor (quad core, 3.3-3.7 GHz), 8GB RAM, Asus ENGT 430 GPU video card (1 GB video RAM), 80 mb Solid-state OS drive, 2 TB Caviar data drive, Windows 7 64-bit. It just stunned me that FSX won't run on THIS system.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2009
Great simulator. I didn't expect so much realism in pilotage, navigation and the overall flying experience. You have the controls.

Only drawback for me: The view around doesn't work with DirectX 10 in Vista, so I execute the game with DirectX 9
on September 14, 2014
Verified Purchase
The first thing I'd recommend to you, if you're planning on buying "Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Gold Edition with the Acceleration Expansion Pack" is to check your graphics card!

If you've had your computer for more then a couple years, then most likely, it's not going to allow you to play this simulator. Don't get upset after you load the simulator and find your graphics card is too old! Four of my computer friends (experts) told me my graphics card would be just fine to play the simulator? Well they were wrong!! After loading the simulator into my computer, the first message I received was "you must have a GeoForce3 or a Radeon 8500 graphics card or better to play the simulator!!!

OK, I'll just go to town and get one! Very few stores, now will carry graphics cards!! I was able to find one. It's not Radeon 8500, but it was close and it's the only one the store had!! The computer store clerk, told me a Radeon 8500 would probably cost around $250 at most computer stores! So I installed my new graphics card and away I go. The flight simulator played OK, graphics were good. I didn't have the $250 to spend on a Radeon 8500!!

I've had all the Microsoft flight simulators and I'm not sold on this new one yet!!

If you have a great top of the line new computer with a super gaming graphics card, then this flight simulator will play great on your computer!!

If you have an older slower computer, like mine, GET A NEW COMPUTER WITH ALL THE SUPER GRAPHICS STUFF YOU CAN GET IN IT!!!!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image