5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera
I needed a fairly cheap webcam, and after doing a little research, this is actually a very good unit and for the price, it won't be beat.

Quite often, it will not allow video at 720p at more than 15fps, based on what Microsoft decides is acceptable for your hardware, but it is possible to record at 30fps at 720p with moderate hardware and the right codec...
Published 18 months ago by Dean Swiatek

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable erratic zoom to maximum
Don't buy this unless you buy it from Amazon, where you can return it (like I had to).

Published 15 months ago by Cat West

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema 720p HD Webcam for Business - Black (Personal Computers)

Where this webcam really shines though is at slightly lower resolutions. The overall picture quality at lower resolutions will not be beat without spending a lot more money.

Also, the mic in this camera is great. I got rid of my desktop microphone -- there is absolutely no comparison in volume or clarity between the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good little cam, December 5, 2012
good clear picture, you have to get the actual software/drivers from microsoft's website(if gives you a card in the box for the address). i turned off the autofocus and just manually adjust it via the software(once you set it you're good until you move a few feet further away or closer to the cam), otherwise if you do a lot of moving then stop, it'll go blurry then readjust the focus, which then gets it crystal clear again, that's the only reason i give 4 stars instead of 5, it gets annoying with the constant refocusing when you move then stop. the microphone will literally pick up on a pin dropping. incredibly sensitive. there's settings in the software to manually adjust everything with the cam(color, brightness, contrast, white levels, etc.) with lots of little extras too, but i haven't toyed with those much. 4/5 for the constant refocusing(until you turn off autofocus in software's settings) otherwise good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Studio Webcast Camera, a very good one..., July 1, 2013
The Microsoft LifeCam Cinema is a excellent starter camera for those aspiring to do small room webcasts, or Skyping sessions. The 720p resolution, and the TrueColor features make this camera stand out beyond most other brands and types in the 720p range. The Ups for this camera is that once you plug it into your computer (PC/MAC) it works. Albeit the Driver Installation on a Windows PC will automatically detect/download/install the correct drivers. And you can seemlessly start working with it immediately.

The bad news is if you have more than One LifeCam (Studio/Cinema) on the same machine you will quickly discover you can't run two at the same time. You will have to trial and error your situation if you choose to use more than One Microsoft LifeCam per machine.

I use TeleStream WireCast (4.3) and I still have trouble using a Studio and Cinema camera at the same time. Partly because these types of Webcams will utilize your USB Bus Bandwidth, so a solution to this problem is to add an additional USB Bus by a new USB PCI/PCI-Express expansion.

Now in most end-user cases, you probably will only need one camera. If you like the LifeCam and want to use more than one at a time, you will find yourself in a lucky or unlucky category. The Lucky ones, have computers with high end USB Controllers (therefore CAN use more than one LifeCam) most don't have that luck.

The Mic on this camera is awesome, it captures my webcasting voice from distances and close up volcume control automatically.

The Auto Focus is very stable when attempting close ups to electrical components. You can control the focus, and use Digital Zoom as well.

All in All, a good USB HD Web Cam

5.0 out of 5 stars Web Camera, November 7, 2011
Judd Love (STAMFORD, CT, US) - See all my reviews
Plugged it in and it worked immediately.
It saved my wife an overnight trip for a meeting that lasted 15 minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable erratic zoom to maximum, January 11, 2013

Even though auto-zoom is not checked in the properties/camera-control panel, the camera suddenly switches to maximum zoom erratically in the middle of Skype calls. The only remedy is to terminate the call and remake it, which works until the camera again switches to maximum zoom. I have a plain-Jane Acer laptop with System 7. This camera behavior is unacceptable. I'm sending it back.

I'm not too unhappy about sending it back; as I use the webcam for Skype calls I couldn't detect any improvement over my built-in webcam. Sure, if I were using it to make home pictures or videos it probably would be better, but I don't use it that way.

By the way, installation of the software is a pain. You have to go to Microsoft and download a package which contains programs I don't want such as as Windows Live Mesh, Windows Live writer, and several others. This is Microsoft's marketing department forcing you to install their programs for their own purposes and make you have a Microsoft login number. No thanks. I'll find another good webcam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skype Camera, April 13, 2012
Thomas L. Smith (Round Lake Beach, IL) - See all my reviews
We bought this camera so that we could see our son and his family when they move to Atlanta, Ga. It works great and was very easy to setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy. Just what IT ordered, June 4, 2012
Kristina Van Aken (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
When I was tasked with purchasing a webcam for users to check out, I was concerned. I needed something that would work right out of the box. I have to say that I was very pleased with how easy this has been for my end-users to install and use quickly, with minimal IT involvement. This camera has allowed our training division to easily conference in the outlying stations, the Chief to video conference with other districts, as well as any other video communication that has been needed. Additionally, it has been a great addition to our video training team for creating appealing video content. Not having to worry about the technology has been a big help when putting together the training videos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, if nothing else suits your fancy., July 25, 2013
Length:: 1:34 Mins

When I got the package, it wasn't in an official box. Just those bubble-wrap lined yellow packaging bags. Kinda made me concerned if the item is what I ordered or it is fine. When I opened the bag I found the camera, no damage found. Thankfully.
Plugged it in my computer, installed the driver successfully then it needed it's software.

So here's where the problem begins:

This webcam does not like webcam softwares (Windows Lifecam and Cyberlink). Not even it's own (Windows Lifecam). Perhaps it might record better in using said programs, but it starts doing weird things. Such as the pitch in the audio goes down, video speeds up or slows down and sometimes it stops recording and includes the length of how long it is on. So a pseudorecording we can call it? Very strange things. However, the webcam still holds 720p. Auto-focus is a little annoying but if you know how to make it focus by moving around or shining a light on it, it's okay.

Best software I used with it: Windows Live Moviemaker.

With Moviemaker, I did not get the same problems as I did with the other programs. So that's better for recording with the webcam.

You can move the webcam around in a 360 angle, move it and set it down wherever you want as long it remains connected to the computer. OH! Also the cord has this little doo-hicky that helps you keep the cord in place so you don't get a tangled mess. That's a plus right thar! :D

Microphone is great. Keeps most sound out and compared to most built-in webcams (My computer is a Compaq Presario CQ57 by the way.) the recorded sound is a hell of a lot more crisper.

Every time the webcam is in use, a blue light comes out from the bottom of the lens. Don't worry, won't get recorded unless you hold a mirror to it.

Aluminum body is a plus, so that it doesn't get damaged as easily.

Overall: Great, if nothing else suits your fancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, Problematic Installation with Win8, July 10, 2013
The camera works great now, and was a fantastic deal, but the installation on a Windows 8 OS took about 2 hours counting all the research I had to do to fix the issues with the program since there is very little support material (as in NONE) with the product itself. It is NOT plug-and-play technology, the first thing you need to do is download a driver--before connecting the camera via USB. As of now (July 2013) there are some problems with the Windows 8 drivers associated with this product, so I would recommend installing the Windows 7 driver instead. The Windows 8 driver hides access to the exe file, which means your camera will work with applications, but that you cannot find the proper file to access the camera itself (no way to adjust settings or take photos/videos from computer alone without access to that file). The solution I found was to uninstall the Windows 8 drivers and install the drivers for Windows 7. This allowed me to access the program files and tweak the settings. Now it works like a charm...ignore the warning that "some features may not work" that simply isn't the case at all as far as I can tell.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine, for a while, April 21, 2013
This camera was great for a short period of time. It installed fine on the day I got it, but like many customers of the same product I was severally disappointed by the result sometime later. The camera is no longer detected by Microsoft Lifecam, no matter how many times I uninstall the drivers and re-install them. Microsoft doesn't even release single drivers for the camera, you have to install their Camera application, which is a bunch of garbage anyway. Should be easy plug and play but Microsoft dropped the ball on this product, I'm just upset I cannot get a full refund, it worked for about a month flawlessly and now its basically a glaring reminder of my ignorance in trusting Microsoft. I would recommend anyone against getting this product, look into Logitech or another brand who have better webcam selections and don't want to push shovelware on your computer.

ARRAY(0x9a8a52ac)