Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microsoft Retail Office Home Business 2013 Product Key
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 22, 2013
Well, as a 3rd party IT Provider who deploys multiple instances of Office on a monthly basis, I must say, my experience with purchasing, activating and installing Office has been an absolute nightmare. Upon completing my puchase via Amazon.com I went to my software library and was prompted to continue to office.com (this is a new process). After getting to the site, I was asked to get started by signing into my Microsoft account. After logging in, I receieved multple errors involving a so-called "Redemption Failure" among others. I called Microsoft Support and spent approximately an hour of my time. I was told two stories, one involving a 3 day wait for a solution and the other claiming the server was down and to try again later. I opted not to wait any longer because I have customers who need this service installed and deployed in a time sensative manner. I then called Amazon and asked for refund, they refused and told me I would have to call 18009365700 for a refund. After talking with some Indian for another 20 minutes, who insisted she could resolve the issue, she again said the Microsoft's server was down and they couldnt refund me. IM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WITH THIS PRODUCT, WITH THE PEOPLE I HAVE INTERACTED WITH AND THE OVERALL EXPEREINCE I HAVE HAD. I hope they max this process a ltitle easier and more effecient or I will be switching to the next available service.
2020 comments|355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dear Twatch,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience setting up Office, and also with support. We currently have many efforts in place to ensure we can improve those experiences moving forward. Please contact us via the email officems@microsoft.com by Apr, 30 2013, and provide your contact details. Once we receive that information, we will ensure you are contacted by one of our Premium Support Professionals who will work with you to understand the cause of your issues, and ensure you have resolution . Thank you for your feedback.

on April 9, 2013
As a Microsoft OEM system builder going all the way back...I'm looking at non-Microsoft solutions first from this point on.

As of this date, you cannot customize the installation. This means you cannot install JUST Word and Excel, or JUST Outlook. You can't use (say) an older Outlook version which is compatible with older Microsoft Exchange (Read 2003 or earlier) versions. It is a "one-click" installation which installs skydrive whether you want it or not.

This version will not work with Exchange servers prior to 2008.

NONE of these facts are displayed prominently in the marketing or packaging we received, and I will now incur out-of-pocket expenses in order to "make good" on these two most recent computers (which arrived with 2013 Office on them.)

1. No customized option for install
2. Won't work with Exchange servers prior to 2008.
3. Microsoft silently broke with their 15-20 year standard of customizable install options
4. For me, this is like picturing the Zune software (possibly the worst software ever designed) as an office suite.

This is a very sad day for me. Microsoft USED to build software which both worked well, AND was customizable to the needs of the companies I support. It looks like this is no longer the case.

I hate seeing Microsoft do this to themselves. It's like watching a junkie deteriorate, and there's nothing I can do to stop them.
3131 comments|515 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2013
I have always been an avid Office fan. I bought 2013 to stay current - all I can say is DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. I wish I had read the reviews first. I'd give it 0 stars if I could - hate is too kind. If you have Office 2007 or Office 2010 - KEEP IT! There's virtually no benefit to 2013 and you'll hate it.

I don't know who they left in charge of creating this abomination, but they didn't earn their executive salary or bonus. They should be fired!

Everything you know and love about the Office interface is practically gone. You get only 3 color schemes to pick from - none of which are tolerable. Visually it is so stark and minimal it's disturbing. It's hard to know exactly where you are in any of the programs. Outlook has the most changes - making darn near unusable. The look of this was so shocking that after a day I uninstalled it, and went back to my 2010 (of course MS won't refund my money either).

MS touts the cloud options but to most users that's not really going to benefit them. For business users it's going to be hugely disruptive to your productivity.

I'm going to use 2010 until they come out with something that is in the same line and worth me upgrading. Please don't make the same mistake I did.
2525 comments|365 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We appreciate your feedback, Brian. Input from our customers helps us continually improve the Office experience. We continue to work hard to make Microsoft Office the best productivity suite for our customers.

We have had several updates since your original post:

-Here's what's new on Outlook 2013: http://msft.it/whatsnew_outlook2013.
-Now all Office Web Apps users working in SkyDrive and Office 365 will have real-time co-authoring capabilities and new features: http://msft.it/realtime_coauthoring.
-Office 2013 has many helpful new features. See more here http://msft.it/WhatsNew and http://msft.it/whatsnew_office2013.

If you have additional suggestions or feedback, we would love to hear from you here http://msft.it/officefeedback or on Twitter @Office.

on May 29, 2013
I'm an IT manager for a small manufacturing company. I was okay with the 2010, but the 2013 version is useless. First of all, it links every installation to your microsoft passport without asking you if it's okay to do that. Instead of allowing you the option to do that, or asking you --it automatically links your account. That's all well and good, but that link can post facebook updates if your passport is linked to Facebook. It's invasive in every sense of the word, and I now place the software in the category of spyware/adware to be frank. I don't care how big a company they are, I'm not going to install it on any more of our office machines, and I will be uninstalling it from the three that I've already gotten.

It's basically a security nightmare, and I think Microsoft has finally overstepped themselves. In addition to all of this, the price is sneaking up on it, too. I just finished installing it, and as we speak I am uninstalling it. If I could send it back to CDW, I would. This kind of thing makes an IT Guy like me start looking at another Office program or Wishing Corel would Revive their old one. UGH!
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
It is Office, so until someone comes out with a very good alternative the reality is you will have to get it if you are a business or a student. Unfortunately MS knows this and has let this fact influence their direction in product development. This is clearly a product release that is mostly about benefiting of the maker and not the end user.

Having used MS tools for 30 years I must say this is the worst I have seen for an interface. Maybe it is me but it appears like MS is going out of its way to DUMB DOWN everything it is producing. The crappy interface is in my estimation a great example of this. And maybe this is my biggest gripe. With 30 years of MS interfaces behind me, I am LOST LOST LOST in this interface. There is ALMOST NO SKILL CARRYOVER for prior experience in office tools (e.g. 2010). This means all the methods and techniques and key strokes and mouse click combinations and menu dropdowns that I have learned in the paste three years in using Office 2010 have been made useless. Everything is new. I have months of relearning ahead of me just to be able to produce simple documents.

Consider this example of frustration:

1) I could not find the familiar dropdowns for common tasks I perform (I wanted to automatic format a set of columns in an excel sheet (four or five clicks in 2010)).
2) took me five minutes to find HELP (a little ? in the upper right corner of the screen).
3) once I found help, it kept spewing stuff I was NOT looking for.
4) had to Google the answer (how sad is that) (three clicks to auto-format columns in 2013).
5) 15 minutes later I got columns to auto-format.

Is this what 2013 means?... 15 minutes to re-learn every one of hundreds of sets of mouse clicks, key strokes, dropdown picks, and other tricks I have learned over the years? Yes, this is what it means. Office 2013 has a higher learning curve for anyone who has experience with previous versions. You will have to unlearn what you know in order to start over.

What a s***ty thing for MS to have done to me. I apologize for the profanity but for once it seems appropriate to me. I hope I don't start getting poor reviews at work or God forbid get laid-off because of the drop in productivity that Office 2013 is going to impose on me over the next year. I wonder if MS understands what it means to OLDER WORKERS when they fail to provide skill carryover for us in their products and how lack of skill carryover makes is harder for us to compete with new employees coming in. I got no problem with the next generation brining in fresh ideas and new ways of thinking, but making it harder for experienced professionals to do their job is not the right way to even the playing field for the next generation. Yet by accident or design this is part of the fallout of Office 2013.

About the only thing MS did right here was to add new features that go beyond traditional office tools usage. I have only dabbled with it, but there appear to be lots of "web integration" capabilities in the 2013 version of OFFICE. Unfortunately it also looks like it will take a lot of time to learn the ins-and-outs of these and it is not clear yet how I can exploit them in my daily work. Maybe MS could help us there with some online tutorials on these new features, EMPHASISING NOT THE FEATURE, BUT HOW IT WILL PROVIDE VALUE WHEN USED. In other words, help me understand what situations are good candidates for using these features and thus convince me that it is worth my time to learn how to use them. One practical thing to consider, is the mail size limit my company imposes on mail documents. How am I supposed to email interactive graphs and videos etc. if my email docs are limited to a specific size? If they can't be shared what good are they?

Hail Flavius!
on February 4, 2013
I have found nothing I like better about Office 2013 than Office 2010. There are many things I don't like. Office 2013 doesn't integrate with the Windows Metro tiles. I guess this is probably a good thing since the sizing and tiling of Metro apps is pathetic. Still, you get no notifications such as new mail on the tiles. What's the point of having updating tiles if they don't work with your email program. The licensing is awful. The set up program crashed when I was installing and then it would not activate. I had to call Microsoft to activate the program which was a hassle. Since there is no media and no setup file, I'm sure it will be a pain if I ever have to wipe my computer. I strongly recommend that you create a disc image after installing in case a wipe is ever needed. I've already had Outlook and Word crash and it is only the first week. Also all the programs seem to run slower than 2010. This new version tries to sell you a bunch of Microsoft online services and you have to create a Microsoft account to install it. I've been using Office for 20 years and I think the last good version was 10 years ago. Microsoft should have dumped Metro and done a 180 with Office dropping the GUI's that most people hate and heading back to 2003. At the very least they could make these things optional.
44 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dear rdagger,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with Office in Windows 8. Please contact us via the email officems@microsoft.com by Apr, 30 2013, and provide your contact details. Once we receive that information, we will ensure you are contacted by one of our Premium Support Professionals who will work with you to understand potential causes for the issues with Outlook and Word, and ensure you have a better experience moving forward. Thank you for your feedback.

on February 1, 2013
I logged on to my computer today intending to buy MS Office 2013, but then I read that the license is non-transferable. I refuse to buy this if I have to repurchase the same program every time that I buy a new computer. Microsoft has jumped the shark. I expect that their market share will plummet upon this Office release. I hope that people are reading the fine print before purchasing or else they will be in for a shock when they try to upgrade to a new computer.
3939 comments|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear chimp in a leisure suit,

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience. Effective immediately, we have changed the licensing terms to allow you to transfer the software from one computer to another. We made this decision based on your feedback and the feedback of other customers who asked for additional flexibility in this area. For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/Xr8OPk

on February 1, 2013
Possibly good for home use. But if you are a business - STAY AWAY.

Try to make do with an older version of office (2007 or 2010) or switch to an alternative like Google Docs.

This software and its burdens/restrictions are simply not worth the hassle for businesses.
11 comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dear James Price,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with the installation process for your business. Please contact us via the email officems@microsoft.com by Apr, 30 2013, and provide your contact details. Once we receive that information, we will ensure you are contacted by one of our Premium Support Professionals who will work with you to understand and address your needs. Thank you for your feedback.

on January 31, 2013
Looks like you would have to buy a 2nd copy for your laptop, and if you were to upgrade to a new PC or Laptop during the life of the MS product you would have to repurchase yet another copy. What a deal!
99 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dear John E. Little,

- The Office Team
on March 29, 2013
I upgraded from Office 2007 to 2010 and had nothing but trouble:
* The program would crash periodically (once every day or two)
* Warning to anyone who has experience with the last few major versions of the product -- the user interface is completely different, so you need to re-learn the programs. Gave it a try for a few weeks, but didn't end up getting comfortable with the new UI (and I am rather adaptable in this way)
* The licensing is very difficult. After buying on Amazon, I followed the link from the Amazon Media center to download the product, but was unable to get through the login process on a Microsoft site. I called the support people and they gave me a different URL that worked. When I decided that this program was not for me, I tried to return the product, but Amazon would not accept a return -- sent me to Microsoft. At Microsoft, I was transferred three times, ending up in a department with a name something like "Customer Satisfaction Guarantee." They told me that because it was sold by Amazon, I would need to call Amazon. Frustrated, I called Amazon and they told me that they could not accept a return. However, after I persisted for a while they did accept the return, but I am pretty certain they just swallowed the cost to keep me happy (Kudos Amazon).

I purchased Office 2010 and am reasonably happy at this point.

So, beware. Usually newer versions offer improvements, but Office 2013 offers none and if your not happy with it, you are probably not going to get your money back from Amazon or Microsoft.
Dear Steven Fram,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience installing Office 2013, and with support. We currently have many efforts in place to ensure we can improve those experiences moving forward. Please contact us via the email officems@microsoft.com by Apr, 30 2013, and provide your contact details. Once we receive that information, we will ensure you are contacted by one of our Premium Support Professionals . Please give us the opportunity to understand the cause of your issues, and work with you to make you happier about our product. Thank you for your feedback.

- The Office Team