5.0 out of 5 stars A whole lot of polishing make it an efficient, worhtwhile upgrade
I've had an opportunity to use Office 2010 Beta edition for a couple of months now and now that I see the full, final, edition I can say that this is a very worthwhile upgrade. First things first, I am not a techie. I am someone who uses Word, Excel and PowerPoint on a very regular basis, who really liked some of the changes in Office 2007 but who thought some things...
Published on June 16, 2010 by Surgery100

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential but transferring pst files still a pain in the....
I had the full version of Office 2003 and the student version of 2007 without Outlook. I bought the home/business version since it was time to upgrade Outlook. I cannot comment on the other programs yet because 2 days later and about 4 hours of wasted time, I am still trying to export my 2003 Outlook e-mail data files from my desktop to my laptop which has 2010 loaded...
Published on June 20, 2010 by Anncamas

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Depending on your needs, this could be a great product, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 - 2PC/1User (one desktop and one portable) (Disc Version) (DVD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the record, I provide desktop support/infrastructure support to a large company so I spent a lot of time with Office in our offices.

In this package you will receive Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and One Note 2010. Each is an upgraded and tweaked from the 2007 editions.

The upgrades from Office 2007 to 2010 are as follows:

Suite Wide upgrades:

The "ribbon" menus are now suite wide (2007 only had the "ribbon" in Word, Excel, Power Point using the ribbon menu)

"Backstage" View. Anyone who used Office 2007, the button at the top of the screen is no longer a button and resembles something similar to the "File" menu from previous versions of office pre-2007

Office Online integration

Word upgrades - you can more easily manipulate photos within Word (it's a nice update if you don't know how to use PhotoShop and similar, but on its own it is NOT worth the upgrade price)

Excel Upgrades - Sparklines. The best way to describe this is to use an example. Say you have a spreadsheet that has monetary projections in it for the years 2010-2011. You can basically have a graph contained in a cell instead of requiring a full screen graph to visualize data. If this is confusing, the easiest thing to do is to perform an Internet search for "what are sparklines in Excel" and you'll see much better descriptions than I am able to provide here

Power Point Upgrades- Just like Word, you now have better photo editing capabilities than previous versions (remove backgrounds from images in a few clicks is one example). You also get elementary video editing capabilities along with new/ "better" transition effects to use in presentations.

Outlook - You can now group emails into "conversations." Instead of seeing 10 emails in an email chain, you can set Outlook up to collapse them all into one line that you can expand to see all of the sent/receive messages. This really cleans up inbox clutter.

One Note - basically just made it better at what it did with user interface enhancements and changes. Not much changed that I could tell.

As someone who used Office 2007 since its release, comparing the two side by side as a "normal" user, I have to say that it doesn't feel as though the upgrade price is a necessary investment. Many home only users will find the new features aren't used frequently (potentially), though small business owners trying to spruce up documents and presentations may well prefer the new version over 2003 and before. If the small business owner had Office 2007, they might find the features don't justify the price.

If you are a home user of previous versions of Office, take a look at the upgraded features to see if they are something you need to spend $150+ on and go from there.

Over all I am pleased with Office 2010, but you have to enter into the decision with the thought that this is simply an in-line upgrade. What this means is that Office 2007 was the more "innovative" product while Office 2010 tries to simply enhance the Office 2007 feature set with better usability options.

I gave this 4 stars as for those that need the feature set and power of Microsoft Office, this is a great product. For those who have simple needs, it is probably more like 3 stars, or 1 if you can't get beyond the price and instead want something free (Open Office is free).

If you would like to see Office 2010 in action prior to purchasing the product, don't forget that Microsoft will allow you to download trial versions of Office to try before you buy. I can't link to it as Amazon won't allow it, so again, perform an Internet search for Office 2010 free trial (make sure you are hitting an actual Microsoft site so you aren't bombarded with spyware).

If you just want to create simple documents, presentations and spreadsheets and don't want to spend ANY money, stop now and just go download Open Office. The only reason to continue looking at this product is if you learned to use the Office applications starting with Office 2007. Those who are looking to upgrade from '97. 2000 or 2003 will initially be put off by the new interface and the Open Office interface, while different than say Office 2003, is still closer to the 2003 setup than Office 2007 or 2010. If you have spreadsheets and other documents with a lot of Macros, you will definitely want to stick with the Microsoft Office line as many macros do not transfer well to Open Office.

For those of you who purchased Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 FULL VERSION (Office 2007) and hated the interface, step away from this product. If you don't like the "ribbon" interface then this product is NOT for you. You can still use the shortcuts you learned to use (Ctrl-P to print, Alt - F - S to save, etc) in Office 2003 (and earlier versions) but there is no way to return the interface to the "classic" view, which is kind of disappointing since even Windows 7 allows you to change the Start Menu and similar options to at least mimic most of the functionality you grew accustomed to in previous versions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, March 26, 2011
Product didn't work and I haven't been able to get a full refund. I purchased product in September 2010. When I tried to install it using the product key provided, it wouldn't work stating "invalid product key". I called Microsoft and they let me know that the key had been locked due to too many uses. Being that I had never used the product before, I was baffled. Microsoft let me know that even though I hadn't used the product key, others had. I contacted the seller (Amazon) and the rep let me know that it was passed the return deadline so I couldn't return it. I insisted so she then said I could try to return it but wasn't guaranteed a full refund. I took my chances and sent it back. They issed my refund less $42. I called Amazon and they let me know that they made an exception by issuing a refund at all being that the 30 day deadline had passed and when they received the product, it was "damaged". REALLY? It was "damaged" when I received it and it never worked. I called Amazon to insist on receiving the remaining $42 back for a product they sold me that NEVER worked. The rep said she couldn't and conveniently when I asked to speak with a manager, we had "bad reception" and our call couldn't be completed. I called again later and said thing happened... when I asked to speak with a manager, our call "couldn't be completed". I have yet to receive my full refund to this day for a faulty product. DO NOT BUY this product unless you're willing to take your chance that it won't work ... or you don't mind speaking with representative after representative who can't help. Thanks for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, but better value exists if you don't need Outlook, October 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, Office 2010 is awesome. Not only is it far less bloated (resource-wise) than 2003 and 2007, its ribbon interface (introduced in 2007) is vastly improved. I began using Excel 2010 first and was immediately converted to the interface, even though I had been very skeptical. 95% of the features in Word and Excel and probably also PowerPoint have not changed since 2003, but compatibility with older Office products as well as non-Office products has improved, and Word now exports better HTML code than before.

That said, unless you need Outlook, you can find a better value in Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student (Disc Version), especially when Amazon sells that version for under 100 bucks. That version lets you install on up to 3 PCs you own. (This Home & Business version can be installed on up to 2 PCs.) Of course, Outlook is a powerful productivity communication program, and I love it, so the extra cost may be worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whoa whoa whoa!! Before you click 'Add to Cart'!, July 22, 2010
I am writing this after multiple conversations with Microsoft Tech Support.
Bottom line: Although Business Client Manager was included in Office 2007 Small Business, you have to purchase the Standard or Professional Version with multiple licenses before it is part of Outlook 2010.
For small business owners who owned Office 2007 Small Business, this is a major take away. Home and Business is in the same price range as 2007 Small Business was. 'Business' is in the name of both, so I assumed that it would have the same components. Now that it's installed, it would be major upheaval to try and go back to the previous version. We're talking hundreds of dollars more to purchase their minimum.
Nothing in Amazon's description states that BCM is there, nor does it warn you that it has been removed.
I told the Microsoft rep that, although I am not an attorney, the way this has been done might be opening themselves up to a class action lawsuit.
Buyer beware.

10-20-10 They recently contacted me and told me that I could download and install the Business Client Manager. They actually walked me through the process and it is working well. I'm glad they've had a change of heart, but you still have to push to get it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than 2007, but still flawed, June 15, 2010
Macauley86 (California, United States) - See all my reviews
The user interface is a little more elegant than in the 2007 version. The programs feel otherwise the same. Outlook starts by default in conversation view, which might be a little disconcerting at first when viewing and deleting emails vs conversations (more than once I've inadvertently deleted a conversation instead of an email that was part of the conversation), but it gains the unified ribbon look. Word feels the same as the 2007 version. Excel gains sparkline charts and a couple of other features; it's, however, still plagued by the same flaws as its predecessor, especially the buggy page view, which sometimes forget your pagination settings (switches from letter size to legal or 11x17), selects 4 or 5 rows at a time instead of one, and so on. It works otherwise quite well. Powerpoint is the usual pig with lipstick. It's competent, but lags behind Apple Keynote when it comes to creating classy presentations.
For all of the apps, I like the new print dialog window a lot: it's big, clear, with a nice preview feature.
In general, $240+ for this suite seems a little too much. It still feels like an office suite from the '90s with some lipstick on. I was hoping that the 2010 version of Excel would take some clues from Apple Numbers, the spreadsheet application in iWork '09, which sports some cool tricks like multiple tables instead of one giant grid, alignment guidelines, and more tricks in the graphics department. I design lots of spreadsheets for reporting purposes, some of them for big clients that want slick-looking reports. It's still much easier and faster to create gorgeous reports using Apple Pages, Numbers, and Keynote in the iWork suite than it is in Microsoft Office at 4 or 5 times the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price for 2 copies, August 20, 2010
This version entitles me to upgrade my tower PC to 2010. In addition, I can also put a copy on my new Asus Netbook. Very nice price for 2 copies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product. Worth upgrading from 2007? ...Maybe, September 23, 2010
Notes about Installation
----------------------------------

- I wasn't interested in a free trial of office professional, so I de-selected it. I wish it wasn't selected by default. The last thing I need is extra software taking up hard-drive space that is set to expire. The trial versions were Access and Publisher.
- I liked seeing the installation screen showing that it would remove the old version of Office.
- The packaging was smaller than office 2007.
- Side note, you'd think that someday, they'd fix the progress bar to actually show the time remaining. It usually zips by 98% of progress and hangs out at the 98% percent mark for 10+ minutes. (Just had to throw that rant in because it seems that most Microsoft products have had this challenge.
- It freed up a few gigs on my hard drive after the upgrade (that's always nice). I guess office 2007 was taking up a lot of space.

-----------------------------------------
Home and Business versus Home and Student
-----------------------------------------

- Office home and business costs almost twice as much as office home and student. Outlook is one of the big differences. Is having Outlook really worth twice as much? I do not use Outlook or "Lookout" as we used to call it because of all the security holes.

Why can't Microsoft keep licensing simple?
- Quoting from the license description for Office 2010 Business: "It is licensed for one user to install on two PCs--a primary machine and a portable PC."
- Now compare that to Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student's License: "It is licensed for installation on three PCs in the same household.
- A standard licensing scheme would be so much better.

First Impressions of Office 2010
----------------------------------

- The color scheme a little drab compared to office 2007.
- The new file tab takes some getting used to. I'm not quite sure if I like it, or if it just adds extra steps to get to what I need. It seems like they've packed a lot of options and information in there. When you click on the file tab, it essentially covers the whole screen with the file options. It takes document information, save as, print, etc. menu options that were located in different places in the previous version and put is all into one.
- Office 2010 seems to load quicker than 2007. It doesn't calculate large spreadsheets I have any faster though.

What's New in Office 2010

I'm Loving Paste Preview
- With paste preview, you can see how items you've saved in the clipboard and want to paste into the document look before you paste. Hit the Paste pull down and select the different format options that appear there (this assumes you have something you've copied and can be pasted).

Image editing
- You can now add artistic effects to pictures. It's cool, but I don't think I'll use it very much. The option to change/adjust the color in a picture has promise and the Corrections button (has a sun over it) will really come in handy when adjusting contrast and brightness of a picture.
- A really cool image editing option is "remove background" (by the way, you have to insert and double click a picture in your document for these options to appear). If you're adding a picture to your document but have an off-white background in your picture but want it to fully mesh with a white document background, you can use the remove background feature to leave only the subject of your photo. It took some playing around with to figure out, but it's pretty impressive.

Sparklines
- The Sparklines feature in Excel is pretty cool. Go to Insert > Sparklines and choose the format. Sparklines are mini-graphs/charts that appear within a single cell.

PowerPoint now has video editing capability.
- It was able to import an HD video from my flip camera just fine although it took a while to play it back when in PowerPoint (editing view) and the video was a little jumpy. It just wasn't very smooth playback in the format view or in presentation view.

PowerPoint Transitions
- I like the additions to the transitions. I'm sure some of them were in the previous editions but they're easier to get to now it seems like. My only quip is that when you view the additional animations, a pull down menu shows up covering the slide area so you can't see the preview.

Save to web - Office Web Apps
- So one of the features people were looking forward to with Office 2010 was the ability to store and edit documents online like Google Docs. I've used Google Docs since it was called Writely, and I thought that the online version of 2010 would put Google Docs out of business, but unless I'm missing something, the online version of office 2010 is very limited. You have the file, home, and insert tabs and that's it. The look and feel is that of office 2010 which is good, but it is very limited in features (at least Excel which is probably the hardest to put together).

----------------------------------
Worth Upgrading from Office 2007?
----------------------------------

So is it worth upgrading from Office 2007? Maybe. If you really are in to the image editing features, and the enhanced video capabilities in PowerPoint, then it might be worth it. I wouldn't call the web access revolutionary, and I'll still continue to use Google Docs. It feels good to get a fresh start with newly updated software, but if your budget is tight, you'll be able to get by just fine with Office 2007 for now. If the new features are really what you are craving, then go for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced!, June 17, 2010
This version offers some great improvements over Office 2007: Customizable ribbons and the File tab instead of the MS Button (which confused everyone), combined with improved graphics and font options are fantastic!! Office 2010 combines the best of older versions (2003, etc.) with the best of 2007. It would be a real winner except . . . .

Microsoft's decision to throw loyal customers under the bus in favor of "simplified pricing" means upgrade costs are prohibitive! Don't be duped into buying the "activation key" card, thinking of it as an upgrade path. The "Activation Key" version can ONLY be installed on one computer - Ever!! It cannot be transferred if you upgrade or change primary work systems - Doesn't even sound like it be reinstalled if you have to reinstall the OS for some reason. Given increasing competition from online apps and a tight economy -- I hope Microsoft seriously reconsiders its pricing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Upgraded* (*But It Took Me 10 Years), May 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's get the negatives out of the way, first: Yes, this is a Microsoft product, and therefore, due to decades-plus coding choices, a resource and memory HOG. For its resource hogging, I give the product 4 stars, instead of 5.

However, I'm very glad I FINALLY took the plunge and upgraded from Office 2000. You read that right--I haven't upgraded for TEN YEARS.

No, I'm not a techno-Luddite.

I'm a freelance writer who depends on a reliable word processor to actually put food on the table, so perhaps you can understand my reluctance to change from something (Word 2000) that actually worked (for the record, my favorite version of Windows was 3.1, released in roughly 1991--possibly B4 you were even BORN--it was lean and mean).

But back to Office 2010: I've been using it for more than six months and can say I'm happy I upgraded. I'm very impressed with the new organizational structure of Word; documents open in an interface that looks more like a web page than a word processor, and all the tools I need the most are available at a glance. I particularly depend on the Word Count function and like the fact that the word count now displays clearly at the lower left hand side of the document window as I write; great timesaver for me. All formatting options are organized logically and, even though some menus have shifted, it didn't take long to learn the ropes. Another favorite feature for me is the Recent Documents list, which allows me to "pin" projects to the top of the list for quick access, since I'm frequently working on several important projects simultaneously.

I also frequently use Excel spreadsheets and appreciate the fact that Microsoft's programmers have successfully added functions while keeping the interface both familiar and intuitive. PowerPoint is also easier to use; I don't however, use Outlook for contacts or email, so I can't speak to the possible improvements or downgrades in its performance.

In short, I can heartily recommend Office 2010, regardless of your level of software proficiency. The software package is affordable and worth the small time investment required to "learn your way around." I can also recommend a couple of books I've used to make the inevitable learning curve both shorter and easier: Using Microsoft Word 2010 and Using Microsoft Excel 2010.

Take the plunge; I'm glad I FINALLY did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Software, with room for improvement, August 15, 2010
Vince Page (Brookshire, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I installed Office 2010 on a computer running 2003 XP Pro with all updates, a 2.39 MHz Intel processor, 1Gb memory and 160 Gb hard drive. The installation was the smoothest for any Microsoft product I have ever installed. Everything ran correctly the first time, and I was very pleased. There is, however, room for improvement (and when is there not?) in a couple areas that everyone should be aware of.

The first is on startup of Outlook 2010. During the setup process, you give the program your e-mail address and account password. In "recommended" mode it automatically scans the internet and sets up an IMAP account on your computer. Unfortunately, an IMAP account is not capable of downloading your e-mails from the provider's server, which means that your emails remain resident on the provider server until you reach your storage limit. Then your account doesn't work any longer. To setup a POP account, you have to select "manual" mode during Outlook setup and specify that you want a POP account. Then you can select an option for the POP account which removes downloaded e-mail from the provider server after they are downloaded. In my opinion, the software should ask which type of account is desired without using manual setup.

The second area which could use a new option is in the menus used in Office 2010. Some people love the new ribbons which have been around for awhile now and others loathe them, but Microsoft doesn't give you the choice to use classic menus in Office 2010. You have to download an app to obtain the classic menus if you want them. The best of these can be found at [...], where the app for PowerPoint, Excel and Word is free for home use. The app for Outlook, though, will cost you $15. I have to say that it was worth it. I like my e-mail program set-up in a very specific way, and spent a couple of hours working with ribbons trying to get it there, with about 75% success. After installing the classic menu app, I had the rest done in 5 minutes, including the setup of data files that accessed my old .pst files. Now I can work with classic menus or with ribbons, whichever I prefer at the time.

This software works very well with XP machines that have been properly updated and have the minimum processor and memory mentioned above. The program takes up about 2 Gb of hard drive space. All in all, I like the software very much and am recommending it to others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›