Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 29, 2013
If you were a heavy user of Excel and Outlook be prepared for hours of frustrating web searches for work arounds which usually involve buying or downloading what seems to be an endless stream of apps needed for the most basic of operations.. Despite what Apple tells you this is NOT a duplicate of Office Professional. NO BCM, no Paint, no syncing of calendars with your phone or iPad and forget any CRM Outlook interface. Excel is much slower than Office 2007..hurry up and wait. Highlighting and moving text in Outlook is horrible and takes several attempts. If you want to include a section of an excel sheet in the email body there will be no grid lines or cell outlines. If you want to include an image in the body of your email there is no way to change the size once you paste it into the body of the email. The rec. work around? Open Word , paste , resize ,copy and paste again . Lather* rinse* repeat until you obtain the size you need....great fun and so productive. Or feel free to download an app to take the place of the non-existent Paint and resize there. Do you like delivery receipts or confirmation of delivery of your emails ..won't get them here as that feature was removed. Outlining and Bullets. Well..you get one or the other and only one level plus you cannot adjust the spacing.... horrible. There is no RSS feed in Mac 2011. There is no print preview in Excel but you can save it to a pdf and then preview it..click,click ,click, click. You cannot drag email signatures to contacts for auto fill, nor drag an email to the calendar for entry, forget adding comments or notes to an email...the list sometimes seems endless.
Once you get past the above there are some nice features but I can't recall them offhand.
1919 comments131 of 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
Don't waste your money! If there was a zero star rating for Outlook, that's what I would have given it. I paid extra to have the MS Office for Mac Home and Business version because it included Outlook. However I am so disgusted with Outlook that- after rebuilding my identity twice and spending hours trying to figure out how to debug this product, I finally removed the application from my dock and will use Apple Mail as my default e-mail reader from now on. Here's my experience within one month of installation:
Within a week or so of use, Outlook flashed me an error notice saying that it had to redo my database or something similar--I dont' recall the exact message. But there was a click-to-repair button which I clicked on and after a few minutes it seemed ready to go. But later in the day I got the same error message again, forcing me to click the repair button again. This time the fix took way longer. Finally, after doing this a third time, Outlook simply refused to launch. The opening screen would flash for a fraction of a second but then nada.

So I Googled the problem and found lots of posts by people who had the same issue. I found information on how to rebuild my identity database from scratch. The major problem with this solution is that I had to rebuild my extensive database of contacts from scratch and my history of previous e-mails would not be in the new identity. This is way more than an inconvenience if you are running a business from your home computer. Good thing I had a duplicate database of my most important contacts in my Apple Address Book, so I used the Outlook sync function to access those. But when I tried to add the more detailed profile information for each contact (having this capability is why I purchased the business version of MS Office in the first place) I was locked out. The message in the notes field said something about not being connected to the right kind of server. But all the info I entered when setting up my e-mail accounts was correct, so I had no clue what this application wanted from me and there was no info box that told me how to fix the problem. I Googled this problem too, and found posts by others who had the same issue, but no one seemed to know a fix. So, basically I couldn't use Outlook to build the detailed business database I purchased the software for in the first place. But at least I could send and receive e-mails--for a few more weeks.

But, a few days ago Outlook failed me again. This time the little multi-colored fan started spinning whenever I was typing an e-mail message. I'd get stopped mid-sentence and then have to wait for the little rainbow wheel to stop spinning before I could finish my sentence. This happened almost every fifth word and it has been going on intermittently for days. So after last night, I've finally had ENOUGH. As far as I am concerned, MS Outlook for Mac is completely useless. So, unless you are a computer programmer, or have an IT person on staff who knows how to fix these multiple issues (by the way, the tech guys at my local Mac Outfitter store couldn't fix it either), find another solution for your e-mail and spare yourself the headaches and your business significant downtime.
11 comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2010
After researching and reading all the reviews, I decided to go with this poorly reviewed product because of the pst import feature into Outlook 2011.

Amazon states under product features: "Outlook for Mac 2011: Outlook 2011 lets you see your calendar from within your e-mail, read related e-mails in a single thread, import PST files ..."

MS is even more emphatic in how easy it is to import pst files (including email, contacts and calendar).

I purchased the product solely for the supposed ease of transferring Outlook pst. I installed MS Office 2011 and all went fine until I tried to import the pst file - this crashed Outlook and I cannot get Outlook back. MS has suggested all the usual stuff (delete database, re-install MS Office, etc.) and nothing works.

I am enraged that MS can sell a product with a clear lie.

It is incredible that after using my Mac for a week without any problem I started having problems about 5 minutes after I installed MS Office (no problems with Excel or Word, but the sole purpose of this purchase was Outlook and it's import pst function).

********************************

Update 1/21/2011 - Microsoft returned my money and, at the same time as they were processing the refund, they fixed the problem. I therefore have bought the product again; mostly because it now allows me to easily move 9 years of emails into my Mac (warning: emails in the "sent" folder ended up losing the "to" part, but that was only a few so if you file them in another folder then it didn't seem to happen).
on January 15, 2011
DO NOT UPGRADE until Microsoft fixes the resizing issue. When you open old documents, the new version resizes the window (not the worksheet, which is an easy fix) and you cannot see or use the bottom of the window. That's where your page tabs are and the "resize" the window corner, bottom right corner. You can't go to another page or do ANYTHING about the size. You're stuck with a HUGE LONG window that you can't resize. Sure, you can scroll down, but only so far and only on the page of the worksheet that was saved. So far, Microsoft isn't doing anything to fix this problem because they say it isn't affecting enough people. Well, it's affecting everyone...so get off your bottoms and fix it, please. It sucks! Until then, SAVE YOUR MONEY!
on December 6, 2010
Since outlook is the only difference between this more expensive single license "professional" version and the 3-license "home and student" edition, I'll limit my review to Outlook - and it's not favorable.

I was a day-of-release buyer of the pro version because I had felt that apple's mail, calender and address book were lesser versions of the components of outlook for windows, and as an independent contractor (attorney) who VPN's to one client in a windows environment (via my imac), while working with other clients on the mac side, I wanted the uniformity.

I should have known from the painfully slow and poorly executed import of mail to outlook that I was in trouble. Then it took several hours to set up outlook's mail (just a straight import and set-up - nothing to do with the VPN account at all) - and after 30 days I never did get one account to send. The organization of inboxes is remarkably bad - emails are grouped in an inbox for "on my computer" (who knows what this is supposed to mean - for me it meant my yahoo and 4 godaddy accounts were inexplicably combined into one inbox) and an inbox in my case for my mobileme account. You can have several identities (distinct inboxes per email account) - which microsoft has the nerve to fashion as a"feature", but you would have to completely log out of outlook and sign in under the new identity (then log out and log back in under another one) every time.

I'm sure other reviewers will have an extensive list of misses - mine would include (1) cannot import contacts from address book to outlook (2) I missed vonage callback, and (3) iphoto email share does not work with outlook.

Beyond these annoyances, I started experiencing problems about a week or 2 into using outlook. Some microsoft database was corrupted (according to a warning I received) and was rebuilt with a few clicks. Around this time I got a few "unexpectedly quit" problems and maybe a freeze or 2. Then the total breakdown the day before thanksgiving - corrupted database that could not be rebuilt. I spent a day or two trying to recover databases, did a full removal/reinstall of office, restores from time machine backups, etc. - and, ultimately lost 30 days worth of emails and way too much of my time.

Word and Excel are great - I'll just be careful not to open outlook.
on June 10, 2011
UPDATE: If you have been a user of the PC version of Microsoft Office Products, then I highly recommend that you try the trial version of this product before you make a horrible mistake! Once you convert your PST file from the PC version to the Mac version, there is no way to convert the file (OLM) back to the PC version (PST) file! Hopefully, Microsoft will come with a tool that does this; which they likely will because of the all the customers that will be very, very unhappy with the Mac version, which is very, very lacking! No automatic archive, email HTML editing will take you back to the 90's, no "undo" button if you are composing in a window away from the main program, and does no longer sync with MobileMe--nor is it likely to do so anytime in the near future. So now my iPhone is not up-to-date. I am very, very unhappy with Office 2011 for Mac!!

I admit it, I am a power user of Microsoft Office products, having used them since the first version. And I realize that the Mac versions have always been behind at least a couple of generations from the PC versions. However, the Outlook 2011 for Mac has only about 2/3s of the features of the PC version. I use a MacBook Pro running Parallels desktop with both Windows 7 Ultimate and Snow Leopard, so I can go either way. After I saw the new version of 2011 Office for Mac FINALLY included Outlook, I bought it and now, after struggling with it for almost a month, I wish I had never wasted my money on it! It appears that Microsoft just gave Outlook 2011 the bare, rudimentary features--just enough that they could give it the name; however they should have named it Outlook 2003 for Mac, as that is almost what it is comparable to in the PC version.

If you have the option, you are much better off to use almost any Windows version of Office and avoid the Mac version. If it is not an option, Outlook 2011 for Mac is a better option than the one included with on your Mac; however that is kind of like voting and picking the lesser evil for a political candidate! If you are a sophisticated user, get Parallels and Windows on your Mac and go for Office 2010 and save yourself a lot of frustration! The expression "ignorance is bliss" applies here, if you have never used the PC versions of Office, you won't miss the additional features missing from Office 2011 for Mac.

Let me elaborate a little: no undo button on the Mac version, the composing features (especially in HTML mode) are extremely lacking and spam? Prepare to be flooded with spam as there are no viable spam filters available! If you want to be productive in an high productive office environment, use one of the PC versions of Microsoft Office, even Office 2007 is much, much better than Office 2011 for Mac!
on April 8, 2011
I purchased Office for Mac recently to use on my MacBook Pro. After three months, my experiences have been nothing short of disastrous!

I have been using Outlook as my default email software. Twice in six weeks Outlook has suddenly and inexplicably shut down and refused to re-open. As a result, I have literally lost access to months of emails, all my contacts, tasks, calendar etc. I need to refer to for my business and my personal accounting etc. Each time, I have also had to spend almost a day reconstituting a new email filing system trying rescue a few crucial past emails.

When I purchased Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 in theory it came with one year's technical support included. However, in practice, Microsoft has not been available to provide any customer support. So I have had to deal with this software disaster on my own. The first time, they could recommend no effective way of reopening my stubbornly forever closed Outlook program. They merely helped me to open a new one - leaving me with the messy problem of reconstituting my files. The second time, Microsoft actually asked me to pay them in advance before they would give me any customer support! I refused and decided to drop Outlook completely. Instead, I purchased Bento 4 to use with Apple's Mail email software instead.

I strongly advise anyone thinking of buying Office for Mac to think again. This is one of the shoddiest products Microsoft has ever produced. It is also a pity that Microsoft has not learned from Apple about customer support. I am sure that Applecare would have helped me fix this problem had it been with an Apple product.

Buyer Beware!

April 16 2011 Update of my earlier review :
I have just spent half an hour trying to use Excel spreadsheet on Office for Mac 2011. Every ten minutes or so, Excel suddenly closes down without warning and I lose all the data I have inputed. I am going to keep going because, for now, i have no choice. But I plan to seek out another non-Microsoft spreadsheet program that works on a Mac very soon.
All in all, my growing experience with Office for Mac is getting worse and worse. This is the absolutely worst software program I have every used in over 25 years of working with computers!! If I could I would give it zero stars!

Excel just crashed four more times - wiping out my data each time! So, I just ordered iWork on Amazon Prime. Hopefully I can migrate fully away from this awful Microsoft software very soon now!
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2011
One of those times where I wish I could give negative stars.
I have been looking forward to moving from Mac Mail to Outlook for some time. Mac Mail's UI keeps getting... dull? I can't categorize folders or color them and the interface seems a bit patronizing. iCal is in colors- why not Mail? or Address Book?

I remember using Entourage and being able to categorize and assign colors to folders and contacts. It was an amazing way to keep track of conversations, friends, projects, etc.

So I was REALLY looking forward to using Outlook.

Sadly, sync with iCloud does not seem to work quite yet, and Outlook will not import OS X Lion mail. In fact, Outlook has disabled Mail import from Lion and there is no information that I can find on when this will be resolved. Yes, there are a few third-party work-arounds but none seemed reliable enough.

I'm a power-user and feel that I'm fairly technical but the hurdles were too great. A frustrating experience all around. And yes, I would have given it zero or less stars if possible.
88 comments16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2013
I recently purchased Office 2013 because I got a new iMac. I was using Thunderbird, so I didn't think I would need Outlook and bought Office without it, thinking I could always buy it separately later. When I did decide to buy it, I discovered that Microsoft won't allow you to purchase Outlook separately for Mac, or to upgrade your copy of Office to include it. If you have Office for Windows, you can buy Outlook separately. But if you are a Mac owner, Microsoft wants you to buy Office all over again, this time with Outlook. So that's $140 for Office to begin with, and then another $240 for a second copy of Office, this time with Outlook. They don't warn you about this anywhere on the Microsoft website. Kind of a ripoff.
on December 3, 2013
I have been using Office for Windows for over 20 years. I can tell you that Office for Mac is not nearly as good. Just as an example: If you’re in the file tree in Word and want to create a new folder, in the Win version, you just right click the mouse and select “create new folder.” Not so in the Mac version. You have to leave Word and go to “Finders;” create the new folder there and then return to Word. What were they thinking? After two weeks of being perpetually on the phone with Microsoft and Apple, I was sick to death of hearing "You can't do that in the Mac version." I got rid of the iMac and went back to Windows. You can't return software, so I had to eat the cost of this junkware.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse