Published on June 18, 2010 by Surgery100

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but Overpriced!
This version offers some great improvements over Office 2007: Customizable ribbons and the File tab instead of the MS Button (which confused everyone), combined with improved graphics and font options are fantastic!! Office 2010 combines the best of older versions (2003, etc.) with the best of 2007. It would be a real winner except . . . .

Microsoft's...
Published on June 15, 2010 by Bravo Zulu 1775

4.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade in most programs. Disappointing changes in Publisher., June 18, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Office Professional 2010 - 2PC/1User (Disc Version) (CD-ROM)
I've had an opportunity to use Office 2010 Beta edition for a couple of months now and now that I see the full, final, edition I can say that this is a very worthwhile upgrade, except or Publisher. First things first, I am not a techie. I am someone who uses Word, Excel and PowerPoint on a very regular basis, who really liked some of the changes in Office 2007 but who thought some things needed tweaking, so when given the opportunity for the beta edition I jumped on it and have not been disappointed. Office 2010 is to Office 2007 what Windows 7 was to Vista; that is, there are not many breakthrough, drastically different features, but a whole lot of polishing and cleanup to make it easier and more efficient. Overall, the program seems to run faster, incorporates many of the most commonly used options and makes them more accessible (eliminating many dialog boxes and tabs) and allows for more customization.

At first glance it looks very much like its predecessor, the ribbon is back and it is now also found on OneNote. There are plenty of sites that will give you a play-by-play on all the features available in this new version, so I'm just going to mention some of the biggest improvements that I've seen.

Improvements:
1) The biggest change is the addition of the web apps. It may not be a true direct competitor to google docs, but it allows for easier sharing of documents, as well as making your documents more accessible.
2) The ribbon is back and it now includes the "File" option and a new feature called "Backstage view." Backstage view incorporates the most commonly used actions in one place (yay! no more dialog boxes with tabs). You get the usual open, save and print, but you also get several templates for new documents, print layouts and ways to share your work, all without dialog boxes and tabs, everything is much more easily accessible.
3) Another new feature is that the ribbon is now customizable so you can organize it according to your needs.
4) There is a Paste Preview which lets you switch between paste options so you can make sure that your work will be formatted correctly.

Negatives:
1) Publisher doesn't add enough to make paying for the Professional version worthwhile. There is certainly some eye-candy, but the most useful tools are missing.

Changes in PowerPoint.
You can now edit video directly on PowerPoint. You can trim a video, add effects, fades and even triggers for animations for the presentation. Another new feature is that you can add effects and edit images without the need for third party software.

Changes in Word.
One nifty new feature in Word is called "Navigation pane," which replaces the old document map. It incorporates minor changes in design that make big changes in productivity and ease of use. It allows you to quickly rearrange the document. Take for example a document with several headings/sections. The Navigation pane provides a list of all the headings. The headings are live, so you can drag them up or down, thus rearranging the document. It also incorporates most of the functions that used to be available in the "Find" dialog box but now they are all visible so you don't have to go digging through several menus to find the option that you need.

Changes in Excel.
Most of the changes in Excel deal with very large datasets. There is a new PowerPivot add-in which works great if you are dealing with a very large dataset that does not fit in one Excel spreadsheet. PowerPivot pulls the data from multiple sources (several Excel spreadsheets for instance) to analyze it.

Changes in Outlook.
There is a ribbon, and this makes for a huge improvement. You can turn long email threads into conversations so you can find information from a specific participant without having to read entire threads. You can also filter out or ignore entire threads on a particular subject, including future emails. Be careful though, you can unknowingly eliminate important future emails because they have the same subject title as a conversation you ignored in the past.

Changes in Publisher.
The least improved program. There are some new templates and the ribbon makes you see every tool easily; however, some of the best image tools from the rest of Office are missing. There are not as many picture styles as there are in Word or PowerPoint; it doesn't have an artistic effects tool (such as color saturation or tone controls) and it doesn't have the Remove Background tool.

Summary:
Overall, except for Publisher, this is one well planned and executed upgrade that essentially takes all the promises of Office 2007 and makes them a reality. Yes, some things are different, and it will take some getting used to; but, once you realize the improvement in efficiency you'll agree that the changes are mostly for the positive. Unless you REALLY use Publisher a lot, you're probably better off with the Home and Business version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but Overpriced!, June 15, 2010

Microsoft's decision to throw loyal customers under the bus in favor of "simplified pricing" means upgrade costs are prohibitive! Don't be duped into buying the "activation key" card, thinking of it as an upgrade path. The "Activation Key" version can ONLY be installed on one computer - Ever!! It cannot be transferred if you upgrade or change primary work systems - Doesn't even sound like it be reinstalled if you have to reinstall the OS for some reason. Given increasing competition from online apps and a tight economy -- I hope Microsoft seriously reconsiders its pricing!

Bottom Line: 10% improvement - 100% cost = Poor ROI for repeat customers!! There is a reason that 80% of all computers still run Windows XP - Microsoft is not creating products that people/businesses feel are worth the investment! Businesses have traditionally found that repeat customers save $$$ in advertising and support versus finding/creating/informing new customers that it is worth rewarding existing customers. Apparently Microsoft believes that it can balance it's loss of market share by refusing to reward repeat customers -- and to claim it is "simplified pricing" is simply lame!

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Dumb Pricing, July 18, 2010
The company I work for upgraded to MS Office Professional 2010. "Surgery100 ADJ" did a nice job on the review of MS Office 2010. I really don't have much to add. But what I will add is that there is not a snowball's chance I will pay such a high price for an upgrade for two reasons: 1. I am satisfied enough with MS Office 2007 and I feel compelled to make a principled stand in not buying this product due to the price. Are the people at Microsoft completely clueless about the current state of the economy? And I don't see the economy getting much better soon. 2. The benefit for the cost is simply not there. After the Vista fiasco, I would think that Microsoft would be more accommodating with their long time customers rather than trying to extort them.

I wish nobody would purchase MS Office 2010 until Microsoft comes to their senses. I know this isn't a good product review; and I fully expect to receive quite a few "Not Helpful's", but having used Office 2010 at work, and Office 2007 at home, I don't see a lot of benefit to upgrading to 2010 soley due to the price - The cost outweighs any and all improvements.

1.0 out of 5 stars Office 1005 - Twice the price, half the value., June 17, 2010
Do the new features really justify the hefty cost?

With no upgrade pricing, Microsoft has taken a serious swipe at their loyal customers. The return on an "upgrade" has to be so much higher now, yet the new features (vs 2007) are generally frivolous toys, not serious features. Until Microsoft can come up with really differentiated new versions, why go to the next version?

If you're still using Office 2000, then 2010 is a definite upgrade. From 2003 - less so; and from 2007, why bother?

1.0 out of 5 stars Charity for Microsoft??, July 2, 2010
James Mctamaney (Richmond, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
I've been an office "professional" user for years and years and have faithfully upgraded each time. I've researched this product extensively in an attempt to understand why I should pay nearly $500 to, essentially, change the background color and add a ribbon to the top of the page.

Am I missing something???

Looks like I will take a pass on this. If I see another product that is more cost competetive, I will go in that direction.

Seems like an idiotic business decision.

1.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft "help" not free and no help, August 3, 2010
I recently purchased a new laptop with Microsoft Office 2010 pre-installed. When I tried to register the product using the Product Key (taken directly from the computer's label) the code was not accepted and I received an Invalid Product Key response. I called the computer manufacturer's help-line (Sony) and was told that this was a common problem with Microsoft Office 2010, and they referred me to Microsoft itself. For the next three days I tried to contact a Microsoft "help" tech, both through the internet and by telephone with what I thought would be a simple problem requiring a simple fix. But noooooo . . . Talk about being run around in circles. In the end my option was to either pay a Microsoft contracted help-line (OMNI) to "fix" the problem, or pay Microsoft directly ($39 / $49) to use their help-service in order to fix a problem with THEIR software. WARNING: if you have any problems with Microsoft software, beware. Unless you're willing to pay additional fees to fix problems with THEIR products you're SOL!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Current users left out in the cold by greedy pricing model., June 16, 2010
C. Denslow (Kennewick, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Microsoft has decided to eliminate upgrade pricing on Office 2010. This is supposed to "simplify" things for us poor old consumers who don't understand anything. Well, I understand the concept of a 40% price hike just fine, thank you. The only thing they are simplifying is how to line their pockets at our expense. Now they are focusing on these BS keycard licenses, that only work with office preloaded on new computers and lock the software to one machine. I guess MS doesn't care about current users of office anymore. So, if I want to "upgrade", and since I need MS-Access, it would cost me $500. No way. Sticking with 2007. Too bad there is no open office equivalent to Outlook or Access. If there were, I would ditch office completely.

Hopefully, customers will vote with their wallets and say thumbs down to this product and its greedy, self serving pricing policy. Just imagine if all your software suddenly had to be full retail price at every upgrade. That's a huge added expense for consumers. If you think it won't happen, think again. MS started that BS product activation crap and now we are stuck with it on everything. I'm sure other software companies are watching this very closely with $$ in their eyes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Poor Pricing, July 8, 2010
Amazon Customer (Osceola Pa United States) - See all my reviews
I have been an Office user since 1995, and this upgrade will not be coming my way. I have been using Office Pro for years, and for Microsoft to think an upgrade is worth $450 to $500 is beyond my comprehension. First off, you are not "buying" the whole program, you are only "upgrading" a few items that you might not even use within the program. I think this time Microsoft has created a problem that will further hurt their image plus their profit. Adobe has done the same thing with their CS4 suite. It will cost $500 to $700 to upgrade, which is actually more than the original program cost. There is no way software is worth this kind of pricing, and the main point is, no way can the average person or business afford to pay prices like this with an economy that has sucked all the money off the little people. My thought: Microsoft and Adobe listen, and get a life.. and to the person that complained that you are rating software, not pricing, get a life, if someone can't afford the software, it would never get rated.. Not everyone can just pull the money off a tree and buy whatever they need when an upgrade occurs..

1.0 out of 5 stars Office 2007, Only Blander, June 24, 2010
Richard Thompson (Prince Frederick, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't like Office 2007, and 2010 (which I've seen in operation) is almost identical to 2007 except you can customize the ribbon some. Problem is, the ribbon is just awful for me, and I've been using it for over a year now. It brings up front features that I never have and never will use, while making me go on a treasure hunt to find what I DO use. It's also a display real estate hog.

The reason for the ribbon, of course, is that Office has been a victim of feature creep, with clumsy and rudimentary parts of other programs added in. For example, now Office 2010 has added photo editing to Word. Professionals (and this is "Office Professional") use an actual photo editing program; they don't use something tacked onto a word processor. What next? Video editing in Excel? Audio editing in Word?

The other "innovation" in 2007 and 2010 is the new document formats. Just what we need: more format confusion. Maybe that's why I rarely see them used.

It's a shame, because at one time Office was lean, mean productivity tool that made life easier and work faster. Now it's like working with mittens on.

Oh yes, about bland. Office has dumped the blue color scheme in favor of gray. Too flashy, I guess.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO Upgrade Pricing - MS Fools, June 23, 2010
What a contrast MS and Apple are. Apple seems it can do no wrong - everything it does seems carefully calculated and well planned. The Customer Experience always of paramount importance. Then there is MS who seem to look for ways to screw themselves. Granted Windows 7 was a big improvement, however overall expectations after years of disappointment we're truthfully not that high - just getting an Windows OS that worked fairly reliable had focus happy. But then to follow a little success with the decision to NOT offer upgrade pricing on Office 2010 was as bone-headed as decisions come. I am sick of MS price gouging mentality.

Microsoft Office Professional 2010 - 2PC/1User (Disc Version)
$759.00