4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting update to Office 2004
I hope this review serves to clarify some of the complaints that people have posted regarding Office 2008.

Preface:
Published on March 18, 2008 by Eddie

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Performance and Lack of Configurability
Published on November 28, 2008 by James R. Spitznas

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting update to Office 2004, March 18, 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)

Preface:
After being disappointed with Leopard 10.5 -which I also reviewed- I kept using Tiger. When finally 10.5.2 arrived I began using it. It fixes many Leopard bugs. According to some websites, at least 130 bugs have been fixed. This is important since many problems with third party software may be related to other software or to the operating system. For example, Apple is aware of problems with its Sync services and Core Image. Also, some bugs have existed for many years and have not been fixed, such as a potential bug when moving data to an external device.
Keeping these issues in mind I did a completely clean install of Leopard 10.5.2 in a brand new hard drive.
I installed Office 2008 as well as the available upgrade to 12.0.1.

First Impressions:
Some useful features have been added, such as Elements Gallery, which may be a time saver for many people. Some features have been removed, such as VBA, and this may be a deal-breaker for many people.
I'm keeping Office 2004 in a separate partition in order to use previous versions of Word and Excel.
At the same time, I can still use the new versions when I don't need the VBA features.
Lack of VBA support was announced well over a year ago, so this came as no surprise.

Starting up:
Each program took approximately 10 seconds to launch. Office seems to have a peculiar way of handling fonts, though, and launch times can be greatly effected. After installing another program that installed more fonts, and installing Extensis Fusion to manage my fonts, launch times for Office programs was approximately 150 (one hundred and fifty) seconds, instead of the original 10 (ten) seconds.
Now it takes about a minute to launch these programs. In all fairness, the slow down is partly caused by third party software.

Overall (and very brief) impressions:
PowerPoint works with presentations that used to crash my 2004 version. The 2004 version was practically unusable for me. This was a welcome upgrade.

Excel works fine and the Elements Gallery is a good addition. It lost VBA support and the Abalysys Toolpack. I kept the 2004 version as well.

Word seems to be a solid upgrade. Some third party templates do not work with 2008, so I kept Word 2004.

Entourage works very well. I had to re-select the folders that I had set up for my rules, and re-apply categories to my folders. Syncing with Address Book always adds many duplicate contacts. Fortunately there are scripts to deal with this inconvenience. Hyperlinks still require a workaround, as mentioned by another reviewer. I would not rate Office with 1-star solely based on that issue.

Expression Media used to be called iView MediaPro, iView Multimedia, and iView many years ago. It used to be a $25 shareware program when I first used it. Eventually it became quite expensive so I never upgraded until I received this version. So far I'm happy with it. It has worked fine for cataloging thousands of fonts and pictures, and I'm entitled to a free upgrade when version 2 comes out.

Price:
There are free Office alternatives, as well as iWork. I( still prefer Microsoft Office for the most part. The only exception may be Keynote 4.
Microsoft offered a substantial discount under the names of The Technology Guarantee Program and the Super Suite Deal. Additionally, for one day they offered a $[...] rebate. So users could get the Mac Special Media Edition for approximately $[...]-$[...] with these offers.
Had it not been for the offer, I would have stayed with Office 2004. I've used Office 2008 for a few days, every day, and so far have encountered no problems.

Overall I'm satisfied with the upgrade. Support has been great, both by Microsoft and the MVP people. Search their forums and you'll find a lot of useful advise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, November 27, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but, Microsoft Office 2008 for the mac, is a must buy if your even remotely interested in office suites.

I run a few different online businesses, as well as doing some consulting, freelance work, and other such practices. Microsoft office deeply changes how I function, and operate in the world. Talk about improved efficiency.
I'm honestly considering no longer buying the yearly iwork suites.

Some new features in MS Word:
Publishing Layout View (this lets you create brochures, flyers, etc, etc) Very easy. This is similar to using Apples Pages. You can get to this view by clicking file -> project gallery and choose one of those kinds of views like Flyers, or Newsletters.

Word's new "Publishing Layout" view lets you create documents off templates similar to those from pages. You can add new pictures just by dragging and dropping your data into the various placeholders found in the template.
Publication Templates - appears at the top of publishing layout view, and lets you change the document into a different type of template (such as a different newsletter) (you can also customize any template when you create a theme using your own pictures, and elements (so much easier than in pages!).

Document Elements - this lets you easily create table of contents, cover pages, Header, Footer, and Bibliographies, you can access these features when you are in Print Layout view.

Excel offers up some new features:
Ledger Sheet (brand new!) - these are preformatted sheets, that let you do things like balance checkbooks, create expense reports, and many other things. This is really cool, and almost pays for itself for buying 2008.

In the project gallery (my favorite office feature) when you have excel open, click Ledger Sheets (off on the left) and you can click Accounts, Budgets, Invoices, Lists, Portfolios, Reports.

If you click one of the ledgers with the green excel bar at the top, it is one of the new ledger features, and as such, already has data, formulas, etc.

Formula Builder - you can now create formulas step by step. You can search for what your trying to do, and you can also scroll through and see all the functions. This is great for when you know, but your not sure which function exactly.

When you double click the function, you then "build it" at the bottom, this is very easy.

Auto Complete Formula - This is similar to when your using dreamweaver in the code view, and start typing in html. In excel when you type = then a letter like S and it will auto complete to sum or show you other options that you can choose. This is very cool and helps to make sure you get the right syntax and the right command each time.

Powerpoint 2008 also has some great new features I will talk about here:
Powerpoint now has Themes which give your slide presentations a unified theme, so everything looks the same (fonts, colors, special effects), and even better, these "themes" translate into other office products (such as word)

You can also now create your own custom layouts inside of powerpoint, which lets you choose where you want your images, text, charts, etc.

Powerpoint now lets you share your presentations to iphoto (which you can then sync on your ipod/iphone) Basically it turns your presentations into images. This is great if you want to share you presentation with someone who does not have powerpoint, or if you prefer to not lug your laptop around, and prefer to just your ipod/iphone as your presentation device.

Entourage New Features:
You can now create to do lists (and flagging). When your in entourage, click To Do List (which is next to your calendar) and you can add stuff that you need to do, you can also set due dates.

From an email, you can choose if / when you want to follow up with the email and flag it by clicking (tomorrow, next week, or choose one on a certain date), you can also choose a reminder. (to remind you at a certain time)

If your not going to be at the office for a while, you can setup an automatic rule, that can automatically reply to your incoming emails, telling them that you are away, and you will be back ___ and you can contact someone else, or if its important, call me at this number ___
To set it up go to Tools -> then click on Rules. Give it a name, and set up the function.

When you get back, all you need to do is go to Tools -> rules -> and uncheck whatever you named the rule to stop it for now (you can always reenable by clicking that box)

My favorite new feature quite easily is Entourages My Day.app.

My Day lets you manage your to do lists, and your calendar (and you no do not have to have entourage running) it shows what you need to do, the timeline, it is so cool, and is another one of those lovely features that make this a no-brainer purchase. If you have an appointment later on in the day (say you have a meeting at 8), it will show at the top that you are "free until 8) which is such a nice feature. You can skip around to other days and see what you need to do, (or what you previously did). You can add new tasks (to do) from within the my day.app so you do not have to open up entourage to add a quick task.

Another great feature is the Calendar, which is now very useful, looks much better, and is more functional.

The main difference between Special media and the regular edition of 2008 is Expression Media 2 (which you will need to download from Microsoft's website) This is a very nice, high end organizational software to manage you digital files (including raw images) Search is very fast, and tagging is quick and easy. One of the benefits for me with using this software is the ability to create different contact sheets, and online photogalleries. If you do not currently have a program capable of managing your digital assets, you cannot go wrong with Expression media. It is very robust, and powerful. It does not (for me) replace my current workflow (Adobe Lightroom) but for the price, it is very much so worth it. I highly recommend it if your into digital photography, or even just image creation. I'm using it now to organize files that I create (opposed to digital photography), and it works very well. It increases productivity, is beautiful, and helps me keep track of everything very quickly.

In conclusion, my productivity has greatly increase since getting Microsoft Office. Entourage alone eliminates so much hassle, that in an of itself is worth getting. No longer do I need Mail.app addressbook, ical, stickies, all open at the same time. I can open up entourage, set my schedule, close it, and have my day.app open telling me what to do and when keeping me on track and on schedule.

The new features in word / excel / and powerpoint do give serious fight to the iwork suite. I look forward to the next office release, and the next iwork release (to see how apple fights some of these cool and exiting features)

Easily a 5 out of 5. The only downside to 2008 is you loose macros, and you loose VBA scripting. (but you can use applescript and automator, and VBA is supposed to be back soon, which will give us macros back).

4.0 out of 5 stars good and better, but still not best, November 25, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used the Windows version of office since 97 to 2003 to 2007.
I've also used the Mac version of office from 2004 and now 2008.
The 2008 is better than 2004 no doubt.
But having used Pages and Keynote of iWork, I still appreciate the clean design and overall layout of Pages much better than that of the Office Word.
I don't want to do a full blown comparison, but just to share personal use experiences.
The 2008 is fancy. It has a lot of interactive menus for different functions and when in different needs. But I still don't think the user need to be so deeply involved in everything it can do. It is just fancy.
I like the Notebook feature of the Word, however, it does a much better job than MacJournal which I bought. So I am only using Word in the Notebook mode when I am in lecture or in need of taking a meeting note. (of which I can turn on the Audio recording mode). The recording is done nicely, but I think it should have a choice of different indexing (by time interval or by note taking; text input). (For example, there may be 30 min of lecture I didn't want to take notes but I want to be able to access different sections of the 30 minutes at 5 min indexing.
As for the Media Expression feature, I haven't used it because I am afraid that it will create a double database of my iPhoto library which is exceeding 120GB already (including the MP4 movies).
I was using the Home and Student edition before I got the Full blown version (with the Exchange support--which I don't need.)
I don't feel any difference from the base student version. Not only that, the Student version comes with 3 different product ID for different computers you and your children may have (in school, in a different room, etc.) This full version comes with only 1 product number.
The 2004 version was very stable. The 2008 version creates some kind of trash everytime after you use it.
When I use Word to take notes daily, if you turn off and on again, there is always something in the trash that was created by Word. I don't know why.
Overall, I give it 4 stars because of its features.
But the look is still very busy and fancy.
It also crashes when I copy and paste a huge web page into a Word document.
That's why I still use Pages to save webpages (copy and paste) or newsletter publishing. It is just much more stable and easy to do.
I'd recommend the Student version if you don't need the Exchange support.
I used the Excel a few times and it is stable and fast.
Powerpoint is also like the 2004, nothing much is new. I still prefer Keynote because it just looks much more professional and easy to add animation and slide transitions.
The $149 student version is a good deal if you don't like iWork. I spent $79 and got the iWork.
I find myself using both of them about 60% Office and about 40% iWorks.
Oh, almost forgot, very important.
After installing this, your Quicktime will not be able to play WMV file (only audio with black screen), even if you have Flip4Mac installed.
You need to reinstall the Flip4Mac to get it to work again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Performance and Lack of Configurability, November 28, 2008
James R. Spitznas (Purcellville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered the 2008 version of Office due to its Universal support in the hopes of improved performance over the 2004 version (which relies on Rosetta for non-Intel software versions). I frequently manipulate very large spreadsheets containing a mixture of data and formulae in Excel. To get an idea of the differences in performance, I timed a couple of tasks that I routinely do on my Mac Pro (2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors and 4 GB of RAM).

In the first test, I timed how long it took Excel to open a 15.6 MB Excel file containing a mixture of data and embedded formulae. In this test, it took the 2004 version 19 seconds to open the spreadsheet and the 2008 version significantly slower in 25.5 seconds.

In the second test, using two keys I sorted a 27 column by 6939 row spreadsheet with no embedded formalae. I found the 2004 version of Excel performed the task in 11 seconds and the 2008 slightly faster in 10.5 seconds.

In the third test, using three keys I sorted a 51 column by 6244 row spreadsheet with lots of embedded formulae. I found the 2004 version of Excel performed the task in 16 seconds and the 2008 version significantly slower in 21 seconds.

Beyond the performance differences, I was annoyed by several changes made to the 2008 version of Excel. First, the software no longer provides an indication of when it is working -- no hourglass, no stopwatch, etc. Thus while I'm waiting for half a minute for Excel to manipulate the spreadsheet I'm left wondering if it is really working or if I accidentally hit the "cancel" button. Second, the toolbars are not as configurable as the 2004 version. I like to have the "Standard", "Formatting" and "Formula" toolbars open. In the 2008 version I am not allowed to position the formula bar directly over the spreadsheet and I'm only allowed to have the Standard bar open directly over the spreadsheet. The 2008 version also added an extra menu line for "Sheets" "Charts" "SmartArt Graphics" and "WordArt" that I will never use yet cannot turnoff. The bottom-line is that with the 2008 version, I now have less usable space for my worksheets, less configurability than I previously did, am forced to make more mouse clicks and move the mouse pointer more thank I did with the 2004 version. While I mainly use Excel, I did note that the new version of Word also has the same toolbar issues that I noted for Excel.

Another annoyance -- though one-time -- is the number of very large updates that had to be downloaded to update the shipped software. While I didn't time these, I was able to install the software from the DVD in about 2 minutes. It took about 45 minutes to download and install all of the software updates.

Overall, I'm glad that I didn't un-install the 2004 versions of the Office applications as I think I'll continue to use them until support for the 2004 versions is dropped and I run into compatibility issues.

18Dec08 Update: I uninstalled all of the Office 2008 applications from my computer and am back to using Office 2004 as I continued to find the older versions of the applications to be superior to the 2008 "upgrade". Also, as a word of caution -- any files that save in the new application versions are not backwards compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong Upgrade!!!, February 2, 2008
Office 2008 Special Media is a strong upgrade. The new interface is extremely user friendly and logical. It looks very similiar to the 2007 version on the PC side. I cross platforms with my company everyday and it is seamless to work with PC files. The media package is a great addition that is more than worth the small price difference above the standard edition. Buy this with confidence and ENJOY the much needed update from Office 2004. I use a MacBook Pro, 2.4ghz, 2GB Ram.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great with OSX Lion, June 25, 2012
alj5 (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Based on other website comments, I was concerned that this product would not work on my recently purchased (June 2012) MacBook Pro with OSX Lion. The cost difference between 2008 and the most recent 2011 is substantial, so I decided to take a risk. I have used Word and Excel regularly, and have had no problems. I have opened a powerpoint presentation and made a change once, but had no problems with that either. Highly recommend this to those who just shelled out $1200 for a new laptop, but don't want to fork over another $100 for Office.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mac OS X product, now Intel-compatible, November 25, 2008
L. Williams (Clearwater, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was driven to finally upgrade my Office 2004 to the new 2008 version, as I was getting unexplained reboots from my new Mac Pro. Adobe Tech Support suggested it might be software related so I upgraded Office and Adobe Creative Suite to the latest versions.

Office's new interface is actually quite elegant and, although I never thought I'd say this about a Microsoft product, fairly intuitive. The new windows are slightly Windows-like, in that they have menus at the top of each window, not just at the top of the screen as is common on the Mac. Word, which I use most of the time, has several new features that make it much easier to use. At the top of each window are several tabs that allow instant access to templates, tables, charts, SmartArt Graphics and WordArt. The overall look is FINALLY Mac-like and very pleasant to work with. The Microsoft Mac Unit has actually outdone themselves in this version and I applaud their endeavors.

Office for Mac has always lagged considerably behind the Windows version. Office 2008 has delivered new features that Mac users will definitely like--primarily in the ease of use and interface design--yet it's easy to transition from the older 2004 version to the new one.

I'd heard grumblings and complaints about the new Office, but to date I haven't experienced anything but delight in what Microsoft has created. I'm finally pleased to say "Well done Microsoft!", and believe me, that statement has been a long time coming.

Note: I haven't tried Entourage and never used it in the earlier version, so you're on your own on that one. Maybe someone else can comment.

3.0 out of 5 stars What makes this a "special" media edition of Office 2008 for Mac, November 26, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In Redmond Washington the thinking seems to be that Mac users prefer them because of the superb graphics capabilities. So bundled with this perfectly ordinary edition of Office 2008 for Mac is a stand alone program called Expression Media.

Reading about it sounds like some Microsoft graphics program on par with maybe Photoshop. But it is not editing software at all. It is an album maker which is essentially useless to Mac users with Apple iLife '08 which includes iPhoto which does everything Expression Media does only better.

The rest is just plain old Office-down a bit in price but looking for all the world like the PC version of Office 2008. The new version is somewhat improved over Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Standard [OLD VERSION] and although Excel is a more powerful spreadsheet than Numbers (found in Apple iWork '08) the Apple office suite is a superior product.

But this is not bad. It just hasn't caught up to Apple.

3.0 out of 5 stars A necessary evil., December 18, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you work in the business world, there is no escaping the need for at least some of Microsoft's office products. Granted, there are some free alternatives floating out there, but they all require compromises of one kind or another, or lack the kind of feature for feature compatibility, that makes the less than adequate substitutes. As the de facto standard in the marketplace, we sadly need to count our blessings that Microsoft Office® is available for the Mac platform -- and thankful, still further, that it isn't all that expensive. Right now, it's significantly cheaper than the Windows version, and for good reason ... there are superior, cheaper versions of all of the Office components that the non-business Mac user can use. And, because Macs are generally found more outside of business than within it -- my own circumstances is the exception -- Microsoft has to deal with folks who are comparing the artless PowerPoint with the incredible Keynote (part of Apple iWork '08), or the byzantine Word with the elegant Pages (also part of Apple iWork '08). These Apple counterparts are infinitely less expensive than even the relatively low-priced Office suite.

A few notes on the applications. Word is a bloated beast full of genuinely useless features. It's evolved as a justification for costly upgrades, yet still can't manage user friendliness in some key areas, including relatively simple things like the annoying auto-formatting functionality that is almost impossible to wrestle control over in a meaningful sense. Unlike prior evolutions of Word, it seems relatively crash-proof, although reports on the Web suggest my experience may be anomalous. PowerPoint, while striving to be more elegant that predecessor versions, is visually lame, but functional. Once's you've worked with Keynote, you'll truly wonder whether PowerPoint is the product of monkeys, not people. Keynote, which evolved quickly under the guidance of Apple, makes the long-in-the-tooth and millions of developer hours PowerPoint look like a sad construction project tinkered over by graduate students and kindergartners alike. Of the group, Excel is really the only program that does the myriad of complicated tasks that accounting types need in spreadsheets. But, for the rest of the world, it's also overkill. And the latest version drops features, as well as adding them, leading to a steeper learning curve and confusion.

I give this new Office three-stars mainly because we need it and it's serviceable. That's about all that can be said.

4.0 out of 5 stars With Office 2008 for Mac, Dual O/S Users Can Now Forget Office 2007, December 9, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Almost three years ago, I purchased an iMac when Apple came-out with the Intel processor, and quite frankly, I haven't used it that much, other than to experiment. My daughter had a Mac laptop, that I have updated at her graduation with a MacBook Pro, so my Mac gave us something else in common, especially when I bought the "family" pack of software.

While I have had Office 2004 for Mac, I used it sparingly, even upgrading to Office 2008 for Mac. Then, two things happened: Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows came-out and iLife '08 came-out. These two products got me to start using Office for Mac more, and when Amazon asked for volunteers to review Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition, finding less use for iLife '08 than I had for iLife '06, made me jump in anticipation.

I know others probably know more about the technical issues on the programs, and I applaud them on that, but with my computer I mainly want to be able to easily write and print letters, maybe sometimes adding some fancy touches to them, print some cards, organize my pictures, and keep my pictures and other media organized. Microsoft (MSFT 2008) Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition does this for me.

While comparing a Mac product to MSFT Office for Windows might seem counterproductive to some folks, having recently reviewed VM Fusion 2 VMware Fusion 2 last month showed that the two O/S's "Berlin" wall has now been torn down, and anything on on platform can justifiably be compared to an item on the other.

For those who used MSFT Office 2004 for Mac, a number of bugs have been fixed, and the applications work better. My spreadsheets tend to be rather simple, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if Excel was better or not, unless it worked for 2004 and not for 2008.

With Word 2008 for Mac (Word 2008), though, the "Formatting Palette," while I didn't really appreciate it when I had Word 2004 for Mac, it is a blessing when compared to what I had to endure with Office Word 2007 for Windows (Word 2007). Activating it just requires a click on "Toolbox" on the Toolbar if it doesn't come-up when you first start-up Word. One note about using Word, MSFT is using XML language in Word 2007 and Word 2008, and documents are saved in a "docx" format extension, so if you communicate with others who are still using Word 2003 or earlier, you will need to be sure to save your document as a "doc." You can make this the default setting easily by selecting the "Options" choice when you use "Save As." Once that is triggered, be prepared to receive a note on "potential" compatibility issues, but don't be too worried, you can select the "docx" format easily if you have a document with new formating types on it.

The second thing I use my computer for is to link my Smart Phone/PDA with my appointments on my computer. With Vista, MSFT made it such that you had to use Windows Media Player for syncing your calendar and contacts on your computer with your PDA (and vice versa). Entourage has been strengthened with "My Day," a reminder of what's on your calendar, and the linking of information about appointments and tasks. With regards to syncing between your computer, iSync can be used for a number of phones, but if you are using a PDA, a third-part software program like "The Missing Sync" Missing Sync - Mark/Space Inc. will have to be used.

Finally, and this is what excited me about the Special Media Edition, is the potential of doing more with my photos because it just seemed to me that iPhoto took a step back on some issues with iLife '08. The version, 1.0.2, that came with the review product is a pretty extensive package for managing and using your media. There are some things that you need to know though: 1) The "auto fix" process really didn't work too well for me. I had posted three pictures with this review that show what Expression Media did when that was used versus Photo Elements 6, but the pictures comparison pictures are missing. Photo Elements won that contest, hands down! This is not to say that Expressions Media cannot equal what Photo Elements does, it just takes a bit to find-out about it, and a bit more work to make it happen. 2) With the installation of Expressions Media, there, also, will be installed a "Quick Start Guide." However, with only 36 pamphlet-size pages, it does not show you very much on how to actually use the product, but it does point you to a web site, [...] that will let you download a 170+ page guide. BTW, there is a version 2.0 of Expression Media available, it was not in the reviewer's copy. This probably incorporates all of the service patch you get for version 1.0, but you should note that the "Quick Start Guide" for version 2.0 does not include a link to the 170+ page guide. 3) One really nice feature about Expression Media is that it lets me keep my media files where I already have them, without duplicating them in a second location (and using-up more hard drive space).

All-in-all, I was very pleased with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition, and I would recommend it to anyone with a Mac. I would, also, like to tell those PC users out there, don't let a fear of leaving MSFT Office 2007 for Windows deter you from getting a Mac the next time you buy a computer because with this product and VM Fusion 2.0 you can have it all except the headaches.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition [Old Version]