Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition [Old Version] forum
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 questions
votes
iWork, in my opinion, is somewhat over rated. While I really like the aesthetics and presentation, Pages isn't nearly as good as word for just plain typing. Pages is much, much better than word at page layout, with much better templates and a more user friendly interface, but it isn't that great for writing essays or reports. The spell check is much weaker on Pages, and it misses a lot of simple grammer things that Word automatically corrects, and also a personal issue I have with it is that its default font is Helvetica. Who uses Helvetica? Every time I make a new document I have to readjust the font, which can be a little annoying. Keynote is better than powerpoint, though, in pretty much every way. Numbers is much easier to use than excel, but has much fewer formulas and functions than excel which is pretty important. So, the new release of office is significant because MS has been doing it for a while. Apple's new iwork is better than earlier versions, and is better than office at certain things, but as overall it still isn't equal to office.
Jan 11, 2008 by Superpig
vote
A few reasons: (1) Aesthetics - I last used OOo in the 2.1 release, but the icons looked like crayon drawings. They were absolutely unreasonably bad. Since OOo was designed and built by *nix eggheads, it looks like a *nix app. (2) You're lying about compatibility - Again, I'm speaking to an older version, but I can't imagine that this has been alleviated. Formatting between MS Word and OOo simply does not translate. If you really want to interop, which most people still have to, you spend more time fixing formatting than you do creating content. (3) MS Word is entrenched - There are scads of word processors out there. Of all document production that is not going to press, perhaps 80% of people use MS Word, and fewer than 5% use OOo. So, it's something new to learn, it's not compatible, it's ugly, it's less feature-ful, and no one uses it. OOo is far from proven, it's been around for perhaps 1/4 as long as Office. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but don't try to sell people on one half-baked solution over another.
May 26, 2008 by Warren C. Moore
votes
This Amazon toolbar is ridiculous and I'm very anti-Amazon at the moment! How can they allow this toolbar to be downloaded onto our computers and not be able to uninstall it from programs? I'm still trying to find a way of getting it off my screen - even though it's no longer in my programs list it is STILL there! C'mon Amazon - you're not playing fair!!
Nov 17, 2012 by shaz
votes
Link does not work. Tried it in both I.E. and Firefox.
Nov 28, 2010 by Ted L. Hiatt
votes
2007 runs on Windows. 2008 runs on Mac.
Jan 12, 2009 by Values Privacy
votes
This upgrade was real and available through Microsoft. Unfortunately it has already expired.
Jul 5, 2008 by MI
votes
My investigation before hand leaned me toward the older version , citing problems with new version. My only question is why my computer always asks to allow network access. That feels a little creepy. Bit otherwise, it's worked well
7 days ago by kate michaud
votes
I did not buy a download, I bought it on a physical CD. No, this is not compatible with Mavericks. Microsoft Office 2011 is.
May 13, 2014 by Victor R. Azanza
votes
I can't say. I'm only at OS X 10.6.8. Sorry.
Mar 27, 2014 by Robert B Hewey
votes
It is compatible, but I highly suggest you upgrade your Office suite as well. It's well worth it.
Feb 24, 2014 by jhnesunshine
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers