5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Price
Published on February 14, 2007 by L. Bailey

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy and inconsistent.
Purchased OneNote for my new Tablet Laptop for school.
First time I tried it, the pen featured kept disabling itself stating "Windows XP tablet edition SP required". Um, ok I have that preinstalled on the laptop. Formated my machine and put a still steamy new copy of XP tablet edition back on. Nada. Upgrade to SP3, nada. Most people have had little problems with this...
Published on November 16, 2008 by Tristan Havner

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Price, February 14, 2007
L. Bailey (Huntington, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I've used version 2003 and enjoyed it thoroughly. I primarily used it for school with different classes and notes for each. What was great is that is consolidates everything in a way that makes it easy to retrieve your notes. It also makes it easy to generate reports based on the tagging feature. The tags allow you to highlight and gather key points of information that make writing papers a breeze. When working with paper, this was not always an easy task to take on.

Several weeks ago, I downloaded the trial version of OneNote 2007. The improvements are rather subtle, but powerful. It didn't take anything to get comfortable with the new features. After a short time with the trial version I just purchased it because it was so much fun.

Here are some of the beneficial features:

-Like a paper notebook you have sections, but with OneNote 2007 you can have as many sections as you like.

-You can easily link pages to Outlook. I have linked appointments to a series of notes and support files for various projects and meetings. It makes being organized for a meeting a breeze.

-Also, it's a great way to archive emails in a way that allows you to see them and organize them as you wish. You can empty your in box and at the same time keep a record of important emails. Well worth your time.

-It is also tablet friendly if you use a tablet PC like I do. I love it for that use. There is a fantastic text recognition feature that works EXTREMELY well. If you use a tablet, this is a great feature.

-As was with the earlier version, you can add voice content to your notes. That's right, voice recorded messages can be added to your notes. Too cool.

Before you buy, you might want to go to the Microsoft site and download the trial version. You'll be able to assess for yourself. I think you'll be pleased. I fond it to be one of the best products for 'electronic file keeping' that I've used. For the price, it's not a bad deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most under-appreciated Office program, February 12, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I have used OneNote 2003 for a couple of years now, and it is a fantastic program. OneNote 2007 is a very nice upgrade. It is extremely versatile and works with a variety of organizational styles. I have gone nearly paperless for my projects. I can pull in emails, web pages, graphics, scanned documents, MS Office (and other) documents, screen clippings (a OneNote feature), Excel tables, links to files and web sites, etc. OneNote 2007 adds a a better, more intuitive interface, and integrates better with Outlook (e.g., the tasks work together better) and other Office programs. (Note: I sue Outlook 2003 at work and Outlook 2007 at home, and OneNote seems to work fine with both). It also integrates better with Windows Mobile Smartphones and PDAs. OneNote2007 has a Mobile OneNote component that allows you to take notes on your PDA/Smratphone, and sync them with "Unfiled Notes" tab in OneNote.

A great program that is sure to catch major traction in the coming years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough superlatives for OneNote 2007, August 17, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
As a productivity coach and a Tablet PC aficionado, I used One Note 2003 extensively. I found it an outstanding tool for taking notes using a tablet PC. I enjoyed being able to take notes and easily search them and convert them to text as needed. However, beyond the Tablet PC, I found it's usefulness limited.

Not so with 2007. Microsoft has now made this product as indispensable as Word or Outlook, in my opinion. For instance, I just "inserted as file" a scan from a Magazine I took almost a year ago. OneNote 2007 instantly indexed the article and made it a searchable part of my archive. The same can be done with business cards.

now, imagine that same search functionality with Live audio! You can record meeting sessions and have OneNote index the audio while the computer is idle. Voila! Instant search capability of audio. Plus, during playback, you can see the progression of your notes while the audio plays.

One nifty little feature I really enjoy is the "napkin calculator" just type in a mathematical expression such as "15 x 12 =" and hit space, and OneNote will automatically calculate the answer (and more complex equations, as well.)

Finally, in conjunction with Outlook 2007, OneNote 2007 is a powerful meeting note organizer. By right clicking on any meeting in my Outlook calendar, I can select "OneNote Meeting Notes". It automatically creates a page for keeping those notes. If I want to recall what was discussed in a particular meeting, I can repeat the process, and all notes are there. The links to those notes will even update if you decide to move the notes to a different location!

This is, by far, the best product I have seen from Microsoft to date. Bravo, development team!

5.0 out of 5 stars OneNote is the answer to my quest for PC organization...., March 26, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I can't say enough about Microsoft OneNote 2007. This product is exactly what I have been seeking for a long time...you can save everything from website shots, files, scans, photos, audio, video, links, drawings, free text, handwriting, etc. Just about anything you can think of to compile and organize can be compiled and organized in OneNote.

The interface is designed as a series of virtual notebooks that can be divided into sections and chapters, with an infinite number of pages in each section. Each page also has its own title, as well. Best of all, the entire program is completely searchable--even scanned documents are searchable with OCR technology. The searches are lightning fast and extremey accurate, I must say. THis makes the program excellent for datebooks, planners, address books, contact list, agendas, lists, the myriad of things we need to remember, product links for user manuals, genealogy info, cool website links that you don't want to clog up your "favorites" with, and just about any type of research or project. The notebooks are share-able within a network and real-time syncable as well as usable with tablet notebook technology. I do wish that Microsoft had integrated the same toolbar "ribbon" interface that some of the other Microsoft Office 2007 products received...

All in all, I think users will find that OneNote is one of the most useful programs available for collecting and organizing information from many different venues. Compiling the sticky notes of my life into one organized and retrievable composite has simplified my existence beyond belief.

I highly recommend this product. I am a textbook ADD humanoid, and I needed a simple system that is easily searched. I LOVE the OneNote notebook system. Information is so easy (and--dare I say it?--FUN) for me to find what I need immediately on my laptop. In my previous life, I would easily spend twenty frustrating minutes rummaging through three or four messy desk drawers just to find the little scrap of "important" paper that I remember saving three months ago.

One Note is well worth the $79 I paid for it. It is also available as a free trial from Microsoft. Give it a try and see how it can help you simplify your life...

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, June 7, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
As a jaded Windows user, I rarely get bowled over by new desktop software but OneNote 2007 is fantastic! My three favorite features:

1. I work on multiple computers in my office. I can create a shared notebook with clippings (pictures, video, text, ...) that is automatically synchronized amongst all of my machines. No need to perform "save" operations, or worry about which machine has the "master" copy, all edits are merged instantly and without user intervention. Unplug your laptop from the network, make edits offline, plug back in to the network AND ALL THE CHANGES ARE MERGED PERFECTLY!

2. Image to text function. Copy a bitmap from a non-editable text window or picture, paste it into OneNote and convert it instantly to text. No more cursing dialog boxes that don't let you select and copy text.

3. Simple and direct text and graphics manipulation. Move stuff wherever you want on the page, add and edit text - all without "mode" switching or needing to select a text tool or grabber tool or cropping tool or sizing tool. Very nice.

I would guess that OneNote points in the evolutionary direction that the rest of the Office suite will adopt in terms of ease of use, network awareness, and replication and sharing. It's a perfect organizing tool for individuals and small groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft OneNote 2007, March 27, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I became a committed user of OneNote in its orginal version in 2003. The new 2007 version seems to improve somewhat on this product's functionality. I use OneNote as a depository for research information collection. I can create any number of notebooks and subdivide each into any number of sections and subsections, which allows me to put information where I want it. I recommend that people who collect information in one form or another give OneNote a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I discover this sooner?, May 29, 2007
Amazon Customer (Charlottesville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I just entered a graduate program and noticed some of my classmates using OneNote to take notes during class. I figured, what the hey, I'll give it a go... and I absolutely love this program. I am the type of note-taker whose notes tend to be all over the place. I also tend to take notes on loose leaf paper that I just can't keep together. Because of these attributes, OneNote is perfect for me. I don't have to go rooting around for paper, I don't lose my notes. It is also very easy to export and share notes - just download the PDF/XPS publishing plug in (free from Microsoft) and you can create your own PDF of the notes to print, email, whatever. Going on a trip? Put all of the confirmation numbers together, do a screen capture of the route from google maps, then publish everything as a PDF, which you can then print them out. Awesome program!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Way to Organize Information, March 22, 2007
J.P.P. "prfesser" (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I've been using OneNote since it was first released. The 2007 release is the most effective writing/note-taking/information-organizing tool I've ever seen. Data can be exchanged with other MS Office programs easily. It can be used with tablet p.c.s, desktops and laptops.

Information can be organized by Notebook, Section and Page (great for students to keep their notes organized efficiently). It is a great way to keep research notes, cut-and-paste exerpts, etc.

This is, quite possibly, the most useful piece of software on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for creative brainstorming!, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
I discovered Microsoft OneNote a couple weeks ago and I have fallen head over heels in love with it. I agree with other reviewers - where has this program been? I can't say much that everyone else hasn't already said, but I would say this: I use OneNote not just for organizing information like it is generally advertised to do, but as a creative outlet. My friend and I have been writing stories for years. This program is a perfect way for me to brainstorm and brainsplat our ideas, refine them, organize them, and then know exactly where to go to find it all again. I can even e-mail my OneNote pages to my friend and though she doesn't have OneNote (yet!), OneNote puts the pages into an HTML format so she can see what I've created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Office gem, June 19, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version (CD-ROM)
OneNote 2003 was a ground-breaking product. The idea of having digital notebooks rather than a list of Word documents buried in folders for organization is a simple one, yet Microsoft took the concept and created an intuitive and genuinely useful piece of software. OneNote 2007 builds upon the original version and delivers additional user-requested features, and it's honestly quite difficult to come up with any shortcomings this program may have. I have stored my entire life in OneNote, well over 8 GB worth of data, and I trust that Microsoft will continue to develop this product with close feedback from users.

The main advantages of the new 2007 version include the ability to print documents into OneNote for annotation, instant search (and search within printed documents, even if they were simply scanned) and tagging, improved sharing capabilities, native PDF publishing, and a whole host of tablet PC enhancements with regard to ink.

Tablet PC users will be able to reap all the features that OneNote offers, but notebook users fear not: OneNote was designed exclusively with the notebook user in mind.

Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version
Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Old Version by Microsoft Software (Windows Vista / XP)
$99.95 $74.95