Published on January 26, 2010 by Busy Bee

2.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting ideas, but lacks substance
Published on May 1, 2012 by Bwamba

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, this is an introduction to PowerShell for the Absolute Beginner, and it delivers on that clearly., January 26, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Windows PowerShell 2.0 Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
"For the Absolute Beginner", the title of the book says it all. Whether or not you are a Programming Guru with years of VBScript or Perl experience or dancing around the idea of this thing called scripting and wondering will you ever get a chance to be able to harness the power of these tools to simplify you life as a systems administrator then stop wondering and take a peek at this book. Go ahead and "Click to LOOK INSIDE". It's simple, well organized; even the games you develop with PowerShell are moderately silly-Simple yet interesting enough to get the point about the subject. It builds your knowledge step by tiny step. If this book does not get you started on Scripting and specifically PowerShell Scripting then possibly nothing ever will.
If you are a seasoned Scripting Guru, this is a quick and easy read and a jump to the new tool called PowerShell. I'm saying this as I recently attended a PowerShell Enthusiast Group, and only a few people showed up, and practically none had gone beyond installing PowerShell and staring at the Icon. This book cracks the "Shell" so to speak and you will start looking at other more advanced books and online information on the subject.

The Book is basically the same as the previous edition with a few new Sections on "Working with Graphical Windows PowerShell", "Creating Your Own Script Cmdlets", "Eventing", and "Uninstalling Power Shell 1" etc., about 50 pages extra over v1.0 Book.

I've recommended this book to my colleagues who have not had the chance to work with any scripting tool previously and those who are knowledgeable.

Update: May 2010, I have attended Microsoft Course 6434A - Automating Windows Server 2008 Administration with Windows PowerShell, and the course is a SHOCKER !!!. You learn more from this Book than from the Course and its Useless Handbook. This book does not cover Advanced Topics, but the basics are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn from games, June 5, 2009
Ivy (Brooklyn, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My coworker told my boss he had to read this book. He did,then told me I had to read this book. Now I'm telling you--read this book. It's great. Powershell is one of the best things to come out of Microsoft in a while, giving Windows admins the kind of power enjoyed by Unix admins (I admit an irrational joy at getting a Windows directory listing by typing "ls"). DOS and many Unix commands are supported, and it's all .Net in the back.

This book breaks it all down, and you learn by putting games together. It's fast, fun, and gets you working with this new tool in a hurry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners, April 20, 2011
Ok, yes the commands and syntactical errors exist. For me that was part of what helped me learn. Not being able to cut and paste and have everything work was a bonus in my mind. I did the research, figured out the errors, and completed the labs. The methods taught were solid and effective, enabling me to find the issues on my own. I think books that included syntax errors and other issues into their labs (but informed the reader of it beforehand) would be more effective as an educational tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Place to Start, July 29, 2010
If you don't know much about PowerShell, this is a great place to start. It's very basic and easy to follow. I am about a third of the way done with it and I know much more than I did before I started. I don't have a "programmers" brain and it's hard for me to follow some of the syntax, but the author makes it simple and much easier to follow than other programming books. If you are new to programming altogether, this book makes sense as well. The way the author has you build simple games is useful because you end up using most of the elements of PowerShell the deeper you get in the book and they all build on what you have already done.

Not sure what happened with the reviewer who was a not able to find the web downloads. I found them without issue. I recommend this book if you are new. If you have experience with PowerShell...skip it. It's much to basic for you. The books cover says "For Absolute Beginners". If this isn't you, don't buy it. You will not like it. Otherwise, for programming noobs like me, it's great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting ideas, but lacks substance, May 1, 2012
Bwamba "Bwamba" (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
Just because the book is for beginners doesn't mean it should lack cohesion and substance. I believe that a more structured approach to the subject would benefit the reader. For example, equality operators are used from the start without explaining their syntax and usage. I found myself having to look up references online from the beginning, which means I may as well have started online.

That being said, I'm giving this two stars (instead of one) because it is just barely interesting enough to learn a few things.

Bottom line: do some web tutorials instead and buy a more advanced book when you get to that point.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to programming? This book's for you, December 27, 2011
I've hearing a lot about powershell and wanted to learn more about it. Most other books are great in the explanation of the basics and theory behind using powershell. This book actually has you writing scripts right away! Easy to follow instructions and a companion website are a plus. Although all the scripts had you creating games, I found ways in which some portions of each script could be applied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid foundation, February 3, 2011
Working in the Windows world I never really have run into a customer that uses powershell. Maybe it is just the types of customers I work with but never the less, I wanted to delve into this powerful tool and this was a great starting point for me. I hope to use this book as a reference for my future scripting needs. As seeing as the movement to 2008 R2 has finally come, this tool is more and more valuable skill to have. Again, good book and a solid foundation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well presented, May 19, 2014
I've had several programming courses and I like the approach the author takes using games to highlight the skills he is teaching. Well written and easy to follow. This really is a good book for someone new to PowerShell but understands basic programming.

4.0 out of 5 stars First timer, September 4, 2013
Ordered book for a Windows PowerShell class. I am new to PowerShell and scripting. The examples in the book are helpful. If you are a first timer like I am this is the book for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book uses games to teach you the basics of PowerShell Scripting, July 14, 2013
Although this book is fine, I find myself getting using another book that has real life examples for IT support professionals to be more helpful. Good book, just depends on how you wish to learn PowerShell.
Marc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Microsoft  Windows PowerShell 2.0 Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 2nd Edition
$34.99 $21.17