Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Amazon Elements Sensitive Baby Wipes, Exclusive to Prime Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on November 22, 2013
I researched this on Amazon but finally purchased it in a retail store (it was about $5.00 less there!). I have a new Lenovo Ultrabook running Windows 8.1, and it came with built-in Bluetooth. I got tired of plugging a wireless adaptor in and out, so I thought I'd give a real Bluetooth mouse a try. It connects just fine and works on several different surfaces without difficulty (it uses Microsoft's Bluetrack technology for better tracking).

Others have noted that with Windows 8 and 8.1, the Bluetooth connectivity would go in and out. I've had that same experience, but the problem is not with the mouse but with how Windows Bluetooth is configured by default. There is a setting in Device Manager, under Bluetooth, under the Intel hardware adapter, on the power management tab that allows for a correction of the problem. Simply uncheck the box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off This device to save power" and your intermittent connection problems will go away. It might cost you a bit of battery time, but really not very much, and it's worth it. If you don't make this change the mouse is almost useless because if it sits idle for a few minutes, windows will turn off Bluetooth and - no more mouse.

The mouse has a power switch on the bottom so you can save battery power when it's not in use. The side touch pad works OK, but I don't think it's really an improvement on a back button. I reprogrammed it so a thumb swipe down acts as back button in Windows and more importantly in a web browser. Clicking the touch pad brings up the Start screen, which is not really all that useful (at least it hasn't been yet) and that does not appear to be programmable. I'm still accustomed to clicking my thumb to move back, so maybe I'll get use to it.

The Left and Right mouse buttons on top work as expected and are perhaps slightly quieter than most mice. The scroll button works well, and has both horizontal and vertical scrolling. It is a clickable wheel also, which is very convenient in a web browser (wheel click on a link and it opens in a new, separate tab). Some have asked so: the wheel is smooth, but the motion of it has a tactile click.

I'd give this mouse 5 stars if it were slightly smaller. I have medium sized hands, and a smaller mouse feels a little more comfortable to me, but this too, is simple what I'm used to. I prefer Microsoft mice to other brands, including Logitech. This one works just fine, and it's saving my sanity with quirky nature of the touchpad on my Lenovo, when trying to touch type on the keyboard.

Anyway, those of you that are reluctant to use this mouse due to the connection problems, there is a simple fix, and once that's done the mouse works great with no disconnect problems.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The two big players in the mouse market are Logitech and Microsoft. If this mouse is any indicator, Microsoft is catching up quickly. For the last three years I have been using Logitech MX mice. The overall size and hand position of the Sculpt Comfort is very similar to the Logitech Anywhere MX. I have average size hands and this mouse is very comfortable to rest you palm on, more so than the MX. Feature wise, the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse is comparable to the Anywhere MX. The scroll wheels act similarly. The Sculpt Blue thumb tab has three possible actions (swipe up, swipe down and click) compares to the two side button on the MX. When you swipe the blue strip the mouse will vibrate. This is called hapic feedback. I like the haptic but if you don't you can disable haptic (link below) Both have left and right buttons on the top-front. Both feel solid.

[UPDATE 6/29/13] This mouse is awesome. At work I still have the MX but I use the Sculpt at home and the extra comfort is noticeable. It may be my imagination but it seems to be a little fast/more responsive too. I'll report later on battery life.
[UPDATE 7/17/13] OEM batteries died. Changing to rechargeables. Hoping they last longer.
[UDATE 7/28/13] Son got a new Macbook Air so I decided to try the mouse with that notebook. Now the mouse seems to forget it's paired with my HP notebook. Found a table explaining the battery light blinking patterns microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/how-to/mouse/battery-lights

[TIPS]
-- Turn Haptic Feedback On/Off and Other Settings: Down load and install "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center" microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads/mouse-keyboard-center‎

The Achilles heel for the Anywhere MX has been the USB fob. I've had three of them break so far. They tend to break and get stuck in the USB port. The Sculpt is designed to use the built-in Bluetooth in your notebook. If you don't have built-in Bluetooth, Bluetooth fobs/dongles are cheap (Micro Bluetooth USB Adapter).

I'm very impressed with the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse. I think Logitech may have some catching up to do itself. My only real complaint is I wish there was a gesture for opening the Charms menu. I'll have to map one of the buttons to do that.

[PROS]
[+] Windows 8 Optimized (Windows 8 Start Button near thumb)
[+] Cool thumb scroll for Windows 8 Gestures
[+] Optional haptic feedback
[+] BlueTrack Laser works on all surfaces
[+] 6 buttons including scroll wheel button and side button
[+] Tilt scroll wheel for vertical and horizontal scrolling (push to click too)
[+] 8000 frames per second/1000 points per inch
[+] 3 Year Warranty
[+] Microsoft Windows® 8, Windows RT, and Windows 7, Macintosh Mac OS X v10.6 - v10.8 and Android 2.3 and above

[CONS]
[-] Requires both batteries to function (Logitech MX can get by on one)
[-] Does not come with Bluetooth dongle (typical for Bluetooth mice)
[-] No gesture to activate Charms menu

[Windows 8 Gestures]
[..] Swipe up on blue strip to toggle recent apps
[..] Swipe down on blue strip to view all open apps on left
[..] Click on blue strip to toggle between current app and Start screen
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2013
Had this mouse for about 3 weeks now.

It is heavier and bigger than my old microsoft mobile mouse 6000. But it was just a couple of days of getting use to it.
Now I go back to use my old mouse, it feels weird.

The touch strip works great. It can switch between programs and act as a start button
This mouse is fully customizable with the download of the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center from Microsoft.
Mouse will vibrate when you swipe your thumb up and down the touch strip. if you don't like that feature you can turn it off in with this program.
You can also customize the touch strip so that when you swipe upwards or down it acts as a back button or forward button when browsing the internet.

Setting up the connection was easy although I am getting disconnected from time to time. All I did was switch the mouse off and on, then the problem would go away.

I think this is a windows 8 problem but sometimes my bluetooth feature on my laptop will shut down completely and won't be able to turn it on. I have to restart the computer and everything will go back to normal. Not sure what's going on.

Despite that I think this is a great mouse. Would Recommend to anyone as long as you are a right handed mouse user.

*4 Month Update*
The red low battery indicator finally started to flash. I am a college student who use this mouse 6+hours a day for the past 4 months.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2015
I loved this mouse until it started to wear through the thumb padding in a matter of weeks. I bought this mouse to help with a class I am taking on digital photo editing at a local college, and within weeks the mouse is wearing! Its not uncomfortable to use and I am left looking for a suitable replacement.

Should've just bought a cheap logitech usb mouse - I have one that's 3 years old and looks new!
review image
on February 18, 2015
Received a used Item. The item comes with security tape, as most electronics do, and when you break the security tape it is supposed to rip the printed paper on the card board. Well as pictured, I have received an item that had the security tape SLICED, and so whomever the return came from or whomever decided to rebox this item, didnt remove the sliced security tape, instead they retaped a new sticker over it, thinking whomever would receive this used mouse would not notice it. Well I have pictures, and the inside of the box was covered in dust and particles. Whoever opened/ retaped the box did not do a very good job. Its sickening.

******Edit********

Upon receiving comments on this, I had forgotten I made a review about this product.
I did receive a new mouse, in reasonable time. The mouse comes with batteries. It is bluetooth compatible only, so if your computer does not have a wireless adapter, or if you have not bought a bluetooth adapter, keep in mind this mouse DOES NOT come with one. It works with both my windows 8.1 lenovo laptop, and my Samsung galaxy note 3 cellphone. I appreciate its ergonomic feel. I sometimes swip the windows button on the side of the mouse, but as I've used this more and more, it has become a non-issue.

I also have a gaming mouse, a razer Hex, with multiple buttons, and was surprised to notice that it didnt also have a 3 click feature to the scroll wheel. The thing I actually like most about this mouse is the keybinds that are offered with hardly any difference to button count. For those who are use to keybinding their mouse, I highly recommend this. I originally bought this because I just needed a cheapy little mouse that was wireless. This however has exceeded my expectations and has been my preferred mouse of use (only while I am using my laptop mind you) because it performs well in windows 8.

If you do not have a windows 8 computer. I do not recommend this to you, because the keybinds are really in place for those who have windows 8, and I mean otherwise its a great price for a mouse, but a waste of functionality if you dont have the proper OS. Anywho. I bumped this up to 4 stars, mostly because the button clicks are not satisfying to me, and the sensitivity of the windows key, sometimes switches windows if I brush my thumb against, it, but overall for the price. I think its fantastic.
review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2013
I am enjoying the feel of this mouse on Windows 8. However, I was having trouble maintaining a constant connection on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. The mouse would stop working after a minute or so. After some research, it turned out to be a power setting issue. Here's how to fix it:

Win8 is turning off the Bluetooth adapter to save power, probably when other programs deemed "more important" start to run or take a processor intense action (running a video, doing a big computation, loading a big file). That last bit is just a guess on my part.

This behavior can be disabled from the Device Manager (just type these words in at the Start menu) and go to each Bluetooth Radio and WiFi device properties. Find the adapter for your Bluetooth devices. For me, this was "Thinkpad Bluetooth 3.0". Right click, choose properties. There is a tab for power. Uncheck the box that allows Win8 to turn off the device.
on December 18, 2013
I have been able to pair this mouse successfully with a Surface Pro 2, a Window 7 desktop, not to mention a Samsung Note 8.0. All of them work fine with mouse. It scrolls well on most surfaces including the arm of a sofa. It its well into a small or medium sized right hand but isn't that great for lefties. So far the battery life seems quite promising too.

Updated. May 7 14 - The good news is that battery life is actually quite good, I almost always forget to turn the mouse off, but that batteries last for weeks anyway. The bad news is that I have 2 of the Microsoft Sculpted Mice and both have to be re-paired on my Surface Pro 2 as well as other Windows 8 computers. They do work great once paired, but if I use a computer without the mouse connected then it has to be paired again. I honestly don't know if it's a Windows 8 issue or a hardware issue specific to this mouse. Either way they're both Microsoft and it's an annoyance so I'm reducing the rating to 3 stars. I'll give back a star if an update fixes the issue.
on August 22, 2013
I bought this mouse for my Windows 8 computer and when it's working, it's great. Problem is, it cuts out 90% of the time I use it and goes into ultra slow mode where it just slogs across the screen without reacting to my movements. I have never had a wireless mouse do this and am unsure if it's the bluetooth or Microsofts crappy standards. Either way, it's just not reliable.

Ooh and I have also had to reinstall the drivers twice since I've had it.

Update - I've had this for a couple of months and it is the most unresponsive mouse I have ever used. It constantly loses connection and often times doesn't even work when turned on. What a piece of junk
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
*update*
after using this mouse for more than a month, I started to have pain in my thumb - I switch out mice and eventually the pain went away -there is an awkward groove that your thumb has to sit in. now I am sorry i got these

Pros:
This connects up right away with my my mac book pro, it has decent accuracy even on surfaces that are less than ideal. Much more reasonable price that most device of this type. Really decent battery life.
Scroll wheel is a little tight, but responsive and has both left and right click buttons. Has a manual off switch to save battery life. Connects right back automatically after turning off (to one device - see below)

Cons
It does frequently disconnect even during use, but will come back if you wiggle it. It is a little annoying if you are working on documents but if you were playing a game or giving a presentation this would be more problematic.
I can't get it to un-connect from one laptop and connect to another device - not another laptop or desktop. That is only a problem if you want to switch it out between devices, but if you want that you should get something else because it wont work.

Summary - for my needs it was ok and worth the price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2014
I have average size hands and the Windows button on the left side is just a bit out of comfortable reach without maneuvering my hand from the natural grip. Maybe Microsoft could offer another version with a slightly smaller mouse body to allow for easy use of the Windows button functionality for a wider range of users.

Other than that the mouse is the perfect companion for Windows 8.

UPDATE: After using for a while I want to update the compatibility issue even though it isn't a defect with the mouse or software for the mouse, it is a problem with Office 2013. I purchased this mouse because it was a Windows 8 specific product and I am using a new touch screen laptop (Dell XPS 12) and Windows 8 is required to take advantage of the touch screen, as I Office 2013. The issue I (and it appears many others with all brands of mice) is that the horizontal scrolling feature of the mouse does not work with PowerPoint 2013, though it does work with the other Office 2013 applications.