From the Back Cover
As the foundation of the Microsoft Business Intelligence Strategy, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services provides users with faster access to data and even more tools for managing and analyzing data across multidimensional objects (databases, dimensions, cubes).
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services Unleashedis the ultimate guide for anyone who is planning to use the latest version of Analysis Services. It gives readers insight into the way Analysis Services functions, and explains practical methods for designing and creating multidimensional objects. It also provides valuable insight into the reasons behind the design decisions taken by the product development team. The authors have been involved with Analysis Services from its earliest days. They have documented in detail the internal features of Analysis Services 2008, explaining server architecture, main data structures, data processing, and query resolution algorithms.
- Discover the new functionality introduced in Analysis Services 2008 including MDX enhancements and new DMV (dynamic memory views)
- Work with the Business Intelligence Development Studio, the new Dimension Editor, and Aggregation Designer interfaces
- Enjoy complete coverage of new Shared Scalable Databases scale-out infrastructure
- Learn the key concepts of multidimensional modeling
- Explore the multidimensional object model and its definition language
- Integrate multidimensional and relational databases
- Build client applications to access data in Analysis Services
- Unravel the inner workings of the server architecture, including main data structures, data processing, and query resolution algorithms
- Learn the main concepts of the MDX language and gain an in-depth understanding of advanced MDX concepts
- Gain a deeper understanding of the internal and external protocols for data transfer, including the XML/A protocol
- Discover how Analysis Services manages memory
- Explore the security model, including role-based security, code-access security, and data security
Category: Microsoft SQL Server
Covers: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services
User Level: Intermediate-Advanced
$59.99 USA / $65.99 CAN / £38.99 Net UK±
About the Author
Alexander Berger was one of the first developers to work on OLAP systems at Panorama, prior to their purchase by Microsoft. After the acquisition, Alexander led the development of Microsoft OLAP Server through all of its major releases prior to SSAS 2008. Currently, Alexander leads the Business Intelligence department for Microsoft adCenter. He is one of the architects of OLEDB for the OLAP standard and MDX language, and holds more than 30 patents in the area of multidimensional databases.
Edward Melomed is one of the original members of the Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services team. He arrived in Redmond as part of Microsoft’s acquisition of Panorama Software Systems, Inc., which led to the technology that gave rise to Analysis Services 2008. He works as a program manager at Microsoft and plays a major role in the infrastructure design for the Analysis Services engine.