Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Size: B 32GB|Change

on January 11, 2013
I bought an old 1st generation ipad for Christmas, mostly for the apps and so that my five year old twins could access some of the educational games etc. I played with it and it's great. But for me, a professor and someone who uses microsoft office a lot for work, it wasn't very intuitive or user friendly. I went and checked out the microsoft surface. For me, it offers the best of both worlds. I can do work for class, school etc and then I can use the apps (which--although limited in offerings--are great and more than ample). The apps I have downloaded are all free and there are some really great apps! It also comes with great apps already on board!

Well, after having it for two weeks I can say this is the best purchase I have ever made. I absolutely love it. I could not be happier and although I liked my ipad, I LOVE the microsoft surface. I am actually considering switching to the windows phone because the interface is so fast and user friendly.

This tablet has drawbacks, but frankly they all do! Like if you want to take pictures with your tablet, this is not the best tablet for you. But the trade off of having microsoft office and the great performance is worth it to me. I encourage everyone to check one of these out. If you look at user reviews they are all pretty good. Don't get caught up in the ipad hype because of marketing. This surface tablet is really really fantastic.
on June 5, 2013
Been using it now for about 1 month. I have the IPad 1 and was considering upgrading to the latest IPad. Glad I went with the Surface! Absolutely love that it comes with Word, Excel & PowerPoint. That was the selling point for me. Also love that it is sweet as a tablet as well as a laptop (with the keyboard...not included)! I can use my flash drive with it, and my printer...something not possible with the IPad! I'm even getting used to the tiles! Glad I went for this...it will be useful when school starts up un August!
on January 25, 2014
If you are going to download a ton of games and other useless apps and videos and music, than go get an ipad. Thats not saying that device can not handle it, its just saying that this device seems as if its geared more towards productive work. The best part of this device is that it has MS Word on it. That its key.....at least for me. I also love the fact that it can accept a USB,,,another key element for me.

I have not tried to use a keyboard with this yet, but the touchscreen is good. Love that power point is on here, so I can begin a project on my PC, save it to a thumb drive, and continue to work on it here..

If you have a job which requires you to bring your work home, than this is the tablet for you. If you are a student, get this tablet and use it for school. My buddy owns a few Subway's and runs them all on this device.....he is the one who recommended it to me.

IMHO, this is the best device for productive work.
on November 6, 2012
I have a surface tablet RT and I absolutely love it. I have tried them all and I have to say this one is my favorite overall. Go try it out for yourself. You will not be disappointed. Welcome back windows! Glad you decided to join us.

Do your self a favor. Don't believe the negative reviews and the ones that say wait for PRO. For an everyday basic user, this is more than you will need.
on September 11, 2013
I wanted a tablet that can replace my heavy laptop. So I chose Surface which has MS Office, and Windows. To facilitate my needs for work related use, I also bought cover keyboards. It has been 3 weeks now and I still love it. I use it to surf the Internet and to use it at work. I didn't pay attention much on the app features when I looked for a tablet because my cellphone has all the apps installed and I don't use them that much.

Now as I use Surface more, I tried to install very basic apps that I use on my cellphone, such as Facebook, Kakaotalk, New York Times... etc, and none of them work properly. You kidding, no Facebook app?? You can find Facebook app actually, but it frequently freezes and the photos don't fit in the screen. It is frustrating to use. In addition, after 2 weeks, it asked to pay to continue to use. I am not sure it is official Facebook app or some third party created. Many popular apps that can be easily found and installed on Android or Ipad tablets are missing and even if you could find them, there are a lot of bugs. Facebook or New York Times that I mentioned above are accessible via Explorer so app isn't needed, but if you want a tablet which can run all the popular apps, look somewhere else.
on April 29, 2014
As a "hybrid" of laptop and tablet, it is awesome. Exactly what I needed. With the type cover, the response is good and it acts just like a laptop, with a USB port. The Microsoft Office comes with it, so I can do most of what I need to do for work and just put all the files on a USB stick to transfer files back and forth with my main PC.

As a tablet, not so great. The screen touch response is sometimes iffy, laggy, and the UI not so intuitive. Too bad. The design is handsome, excellent and the size/weight is just right.

If you are looking for a smaller and lighter solution to replace your laptop (fir taking it out on the road), this Is a great device as your secondary device to take it along with you, on the go. But if I were mainly looking to use it as a tablet, I'd probably get something else. For me, it meets my needs, and the price was right. (Though you really need to figure in the cost of type cover that you have to purchase separately). I'm glad I went with the older version as I really don't see any major difference that I'm missing out on by not getting the Surface 2.
on January 15, 2014
It's a lot heavier than I had expected, which causes issues with my arthritis and fibromyalgia.

The click-on keyboard was not very helpful when I'm sitting on the couch, something I hadn't thought of when ordering that accessory. However, the touch screen of the tablet is pretty darn awesome, so I'm good on the typing.

Sadly, the Net connection while trying to play games on FaceBook is slow. I don't know what to do about that, so I just ignore it and wait. The main reason for buying this (besides the awesome price I got it for) was to be able to have a little tablet that was able to do everything on FB that I wanted to do, like FarmVille2 among others. Too slow. Some of my games I can play, but I actually have to plug in a mouse and have a happy attitude because everything takes so long.

Another negative is the charging cord. It's a cool little thing, but the cord is SHORT!

Plus side: Microsoft Office! I can set up spreadsheets in Excel, type up letters and look over things my husband has set up on his own laptop because Office is on this computer. I've also discovered using a cloud thing for storage is pretty nice, but haven't yet figured out how to access that cloud on my big old desk top model. It takes me awhile to figure out NEW things.

Glad I got this. Just won't be taking it in my purse with me, as it's too heavy!
on January 23, 2014
Terrible at playing networked movies, controlling the sliders for any kind of site like youtube or vimo will drive you insane, control over the screen is way too touchy. Overall it's completely inferior to an IPAD, save your money and get one instead, even an older used IPAD is miles better.

It's solitary saving grace is the screen quality. Otherwise it would be one star for sure.
on January 19, 2015
I have used and own several of these original Surface tablets. They're excellent tablets. Build quality is excellent and Microsoft support is as well. This is the first generation of these tablets and they were a good start. They improved a lot after several OS and firmware updates after release. New ones are harder and harder to find now days because this product has been replaced by the Surface 2, which is very similar to this one, but with some good improvements, such as a two position kickstand and support for some new features (think wireless projection). For the price, this is one of the best tablets on the market. I buy them for my company because they are inexpensive and can be used for several solutions, such as kiosks.

The biggest negative about this and all Windows RT based tablets is that some popular apps that exist on Apple and Android app stores are not yet available on the Windows Marketplace. However, most missing apps have full function websites that actually work better than the apps and can be used on the Surface browser instead of the app.

Choosing mobile devices such as tablets is a very personal experience; everyone has their own opinions about what is best and their own list of needs. I have owned and used this Surface RT, the Surface 2 and I'm now using the Surface Pro 3. I like them all better than anything else on the market. I particularly like their well-made, slim, Type Cover keyboards and their built-in kickstands. It takes a little time to learn, but I really like Windows 8.1; it's nice having access to the Windows desktop and a tablet interface all in one. The Surface tablets also have expansion ports such as HDMI/Mini-Display ports (very handy for presentations and for hooking up to external monitors in the office or TVs in the office or hotel rooms), USB ports and built-in card readers. In fact, I'm currently writing this review on my Surface Pro 3 and I haven't taken my laptop out of the office in over two years. I used my Surface RT and my Surface 2 in place of my laptop whenever traveling or working from home and I now use my Surface Pro 3 and I don't miss the laptop at all. Heck, I used one of these Surface RT's to run the projector presentations at a two-day sales meeting a couple months ago and it worked perfectly.

I think Surface tablets can work for anyone willing to take the time to get used to Windows 8.1. However, if there are apps you are using with Apple iOS or Android and you feel you absolutely have to have them to be happy, you need to check the Windows app store to see if the app or an acceptable alternative is available before committing. As I said earlier, most apps have websites that work on these tablets if you are ok using the browser instead of an app; something to consider before writing the tablet off.

One other thing to be aware of about this particular Surface tablet is that it is one of the earlier models and after you power it on, it will download and install several OS and firmware updates, which will actually change the tablet interface considerably from the time you first power it on up until the latest firmware and OS updates have been installed. It shouldn't be a problem, but is something to be aware of if you buy this tablet. If you force the updates, it will take a few hours to completely bring the tablet up to date. However, if you allow it to do it at it's own pace automatically, the updates could span several days, because the updates will run automatically in the background and ask you to reboot as necessary.
on December 21, 2012
The Surface is an amazing device. I took it on a plane trip across country and back, and it lasted longer than stated in the specs. They keyboard is wonderful, although it does take a bit getting used to. I ended up buying one for myself, my wife, and my mother. My mother absolutely loves it, and takes it with her when she travels overseas. She uses it to do her everyday tasks such as tracking things in excel, but also uses it to communicate with her grand-kids on Skype. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a real tablet, and not just a toy.

The apps are also coming in strong, with several hundred being added daily. The first two weeks were lacking, but I now having one for everything I need, and then some. The variety of apps are huge, for example just today I noticed a SNES emulator that will play every SNES game, and the app was free. It will only improve from here, and I'm exciting for whats to come.