Microsoft - Surface Pro 2 with 256GB - Dark Titanium
Size Name: 8GB 256GBChange
Price:$728.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 29, 2013
Size Name: 64GB
I bought this from MicrosoftStore.com with a 10% student discount.

I am a 22 year old college student who loves pen enabled tablets and I have been using these types of tablets for the past 6 years. I hope this honest and extensive reviews helps you decide if this tablet is right for you. This expensive tablet/laptop is meant to replace your current laptop. Don't buy this if you just want a simple convenient tablet for occasional use; buy an android tablet for around $300. There is no point in getting a windows tablet. Almost all electronics, mainly computers have some flaws and the Surface Pro 2 is no expectation. If you are willing to spend over a $1,100 on a computer I think you should at least read this LONG review. This review is for only the device, not Windows 8 and its limited apps selection. You can't compare any android tablets to this because this is a FULL computer. It runs all software like Microsoft Office without any limitation. It runs all desktop and mobile version software.

PEN ENABLED - A tablet that has a PRESSURE sensitive screen and that accepts input from a fine point digitizer pen. Finger touch is great but it's hard to touch things on a screen smaller than 15 inches. The pen is the perfect solution and it is very precise.

If you want to protect your Surface Pro and Pro 2 and have a nice looking and useful case, read and watch my video review on the Manvex case.

In my opinion ONCE YOU USE A PEN ENABLED TABLET, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GO BACK TO ANY OTHER TYPES OF COMPUTERS, you won't know how awesome it is until you use one

YOU CAN SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH BUT I THINK A LITTLE BACKGROUND IS USEFUL INFORMATION TO SEE HOW GOOD THIS TABLET REALLY IS.

Tablets are not new technology, although it has taken off in the past several years. I bought my first pen tablet (no finger touch) in 2007. It was the Lenovo X61 and I bought it for $1,500. And I have purchased the X201 and X220 tablets. They were around the same price when released. The X201 and the X220 both had finger touch along with pen touch. As you can see, pen enabled tablets are expensive. So the price for the Surface Pro 2 makes sense to me. I was wondering for years, why no other companies were not making a decent pen tablets besides Lenovo. Although I liked the performance, usability, and reliability of the Lenovo tablets, I was getting tired of paying so much for a tablet whose design never changed. You could not differeciate the 2011 model from the 2007 model and the design was pretty ugly. Finally the Lenovo Helix came out with a much better design but I decided not to buy it after reading all the problems it had. I liked the Surface Pro but I didn't like the battery life and I wanted to wait for the next model because this is the first tablet Microsoft made and I didn't' want to take a chance. Also I still liked my X220 tablet. Meanwhile other companies made pen tablets but nothing came close to the Lenovo.

IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?
I think all the bad reviews you will read for the Surface Pro 2 will be mainly because the tablet is not right for that person. Being said that, this should not get a rating below 4 stars if the right person is using it. Below I will list who it is best for ranking from highest to lowest suitability.

Who is it for?
***College/School Students - This is a must have for a person who is in school and has to take notes. This replaced 3 or 4 notebooks that I had to carry to my classes. Microsoft OneNote is a must have software for this tablet. Please watch some videos on OneNote and give it a try. I have virtual notebooks and I use write on the screen just like I would write on paper, except you never run out of paper. Imagine using 100 different highlighters and colors without actually having 100 different color highlighters and pens. After a few weeks, you will wonder why you ever wrote on paper. All your notebooks are in one place. Not to mentions how light it is. YOU WILL LOVE OneNote after you learn to use it. My grades improved after I used this approach to take notes because it was easy to study for exams because everything is in one organized place.
***Business professionals - If you attend many meetings at work and have to take notes, this is a must have. Same concept applies as for college students. OneNote is a must have software.
***Artists - If you draw, then pen enabled tablets are a no brainer. You have all the colors of the rainbow in your disposal for FREE. Obviously nothing compares to actual pen/pencils when it comes to drawing shades and shadows but this types of tablets is the next best thing. You can create amazing artwork by using some of the software that are available and most of them provide shadow and shades capabilities.

Who should buy something else?
***People who think 15 inch is the perfect size - If you are using a 15 inch laptop and you think 12 inch is almost too small to consider, then you will hate the surface pro 2. I am used to using the 12 inch Lenovo tablets and at first I had hard time adjusting to it but I love it now because of the high definition screen.
***People who love big screens - If you like using 17 inch laptops, don't even think about buying this. You are wasting your money on this. Buy the regular surface or a normal tablet that costs around $300 for convenient and occasional usage.
***Desktop users - If you currently use a desktop and want a tablet for occasional and convenient usage, then buy a much cheaper tablet. This tablet does too much and that's why it costs so much.

Sorry for all that information LET'S GET TO WHAT MATTERS:
Pros:
-Design - I love the design, it is well constructed, and decent weight for a powerful machine. It is very stylish
-Display - The display is very sharp and high quality. 1080p is all you need to know.
- Performance - For the price and compared to other tablets, this is the fastest one available. I had no delay doing any work.
- Audio - Surprisingly it sounds very loud and clear, if you want more sound, get a wireless mini speaker.
- Battery life - I am easily able to get 7 hours with normal usage. I don't expect much more from a powerful and small machine like this.
- Touch/Pen - The touch with finger and pen works perfectly.
-Weight - For the power that it has and the batter life it provides, I think the weight is a plus. Most people say it's too heavy, but what they forget is that this is replacing a laptop. All the reviews says, "Heavy and thick for a tablet", once again, this is not just a tablet.
-Keyboard - The keyboard is awesome, I love how strong the connection between the keyboard and the tablet is. I am not a big fan of the touch keyboard; it is sitting in my table. The type cover 2 keyboard is awesome. Light, thin, and backlight.
-Kickstand - The kick stand is perfect, it has two angles to suit your need. Very stable and well-constructed; I have no problems using it on my lap or on a table.

Cons:
-Touchpad - Like most people says the touchpad is not that great. It is not very responsive and sometimes does things by itself. But I rarely use the touchpad, the pen is way too convenient and I use that 90% of the time.
-USB Port - I wish it had one more USB port, but I guess I'll have to buy a usb hub.
-Memory Card Slot/ Given the size, they should had included a full SD Card slot, micro SD only supports maximum 64gb for now.
-Charging port - The charger magnet is not as strong as the keyboard magnet. While it is not flimsy but it falls of if with slight pull.
-No Pen Holder - The pen attaches to the charging port, which is not strong enough to hold the pen securely. Buy the Manvex case and that will solve the issue.

The cons are small things that could be better but nothing major that makes the tablet a bad choice.

You might wonder if there is a thinner and lighter tablet that is almost as powerful. Yes but the thin and light comes at a price. The Sony Tap 11 is the only tablet that I think comes close to competing. But Surface Pro 2 is a clear winner. The Surface has better build quality and better battery life. Also the keyboard for the Tap 11 is dumb. You can't use it on your lap because the keyboard is wireless and you can't attach it like the surface. There are some other drawbacks but you can read the review on TheVerge.com.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2013
Size Name: 8GB 256GB
I bought this from MicrosoftStore.com with a 10% student discount.

IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?

Who is it for?

Who should buy something else?

Sorry for all that information LET'S GET TO WHAT MATTERS:
Pros:
- Touch/Pen - The touch with finger and pen works perfectly.

Cons:

66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2013
Size Name: 8GB 256GB
Great product. I was able to get my 256gb version at the Microsoft store. If you call the store they will normally contact you when they get them in and hold you one. I was lucky to get mine and after tons of research and even after the sale, I am VERY happy. I don't think you can find a PC with this much power in such a small package. I was disappointed to see negative reviews of the vendor pricing bringing down the stars of the product. I wanted a mix between tablet and laptop and got exactly that. If I had to do it over, I might not even purchased a keyboard. I would tell you unless you do a lot of typing the screen keyboard is fine. The add on keyboard is nice but adds to the size and I don't feel like it will hold up over time. The 256gb version also adds more RAM and that is the main reason I moved up to the larger model. I have a Sony Viao and a Samsung tablet and I haven't used either unit since getting my surface pro 2. My real world battery life is about 7 hours of constant use. I added the Armorsuit screen protector and carbon fiber backing. I would highly recommend this screen protector for your unit. It is made in the USA and is the best of the three I have tried. The pen is hard to keep up with and $30 if you need to buy another. I rarely use the pen. I am not into drawing and don't find that I need it for daily use of my Surface. It might cost a bit more than some other options but there isn't anything like it. I love mine.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2013
Size Name: 8GB 256GB
I bought the 256GB, 8GB RAM version of the Surface Pro 2 from the Microsoft store last month and so far I like it a lot. Before I go into the pros and cons, I think it's important that I tell you a little bit more about what type of user I am and what I do with the surface pro 2.

I'm a PC guy, have never bought or owned an Apple product and don't think I'll ever. To me, Mac OS X is an horrible OS and I can't really work with it. I have linux (usually Ubuntu or a version of it) installed on most of my computers (not on the surface pro 2, not yet). So I guess my experience and review will be more useful to PC users. I'm a gamer, but not on PC (I have consoles for that). I've had every single version of Windows and I never had any major problems, either with viruses or bugs.

I use the surface pro 2 two ways: on the go, as a tablet/laptop with the touchcover, and at home I have it connected to a 23in LED display, with wireless keyboard and mouse. Therefore, when I'm at home, the surface pro 2 is used to power the PC and as a second screen. I haven't bought a docking station yet, but I'll probably soon (not the one from Microsoft though as it's too expensive and lack some key features. I'll take the Pluggable one -look it up here on Amazon).

Pros:

- Power and performance: this thing just flies. I upgraded from a first gen Intel core I-3 (an Asus computer) and I can definitely see the difference. I can run Matlab, Stata, Excel and a couple of apps and it never slows down. And thanks to the 8GB of RAM, I usually never use more than 6GB at the max. But honestly, I believe any modern ultrabook with a Haswell Intel core I-5 will have great performances along with good battery life (it doesn't compare to the crazy Macbook Air (2013) but it will easily last 6-7 hours which is enough for me).

- Screen: it might not have the highest PPI or whatever, but the display provides a really good, crisp picture with rich colors. It's LED, so the blacks aren't as deep as on my plasma tv, but movies still look good. Text looks sharp. The display is very reflective but the brightness is high enough to compensate, although I guess using it outside in direct sunlight might be a problem.

- Windows 8.1: now, I understand that it doesn't have to do only with the surface pro 2, but using Windows 8.1 on this machine is really nice. I know Win 8 received a lot of critiscism and actually, the first time I installed it on my previous computer, I hated it. But now that I'm used to it and that I have a touch screen, I have to admit it's a really good operating system. The desktop is simply Windows 7 upgraded (I really don't miss the start menu personnally) and it's nice to have the option to run apps. It's especially important if you are on the go as it makes this a true 2-in-1 device: a powerful second screen/laptop at home and a nice tablet when I simply want to check facebook, flipboard or twitter. I own multiple Android phones and tablets, and while the apps selection is limited on Windows 8.1, I have to say that this OS works quite well on a tablet. Being able to run 2 apps side by side is awesome and the charm bar really helps. As I've said, I understand that some might think it has nothing to do with a review about the hardware, but I truly believe that the Surface pro 2 is simply Microsoft's vision of the future. So the hardware works with the software. Personnally, I'm in the desktop 90% of the time but I use the surface as a second monitor where I have apps open (Mail, twitter, etc).
Also, still on the software side, you have the pure Windows experience, no bloatware or any stupid thing installed by the manufacturer. And since Microsoft makes the hardware, you get firmware updates without having to run a separate update checker as you'd have to with Asus or another brand. Overall, it's a little bit like getting the Apple experience but with a PC.

- The stylus: it's really just so precise, it's crazy. Used with OneNote, it's like writing on paper. It just doesn't compare to any Ipad or Android tablet, except for the Galaxy Note line.

- Build quality: It's an heavy tablet, but god it feels good. As a PC user, I usually don't care much about how it feels or look, but I have to admit that the surface pro 2 is really nice. As I've said, it's a little heavy but given that there is a kickstand, it's very usable. It's actually better than my normal Android tablet (who weighs half) since you can just rest the tablet on your lap or the table. Also a sign of good build quality, the speakers are surprisingly good and loud. I was very impressed by that.

Cons:

- My device worked well for a week and then, one day, just wouldn't turn on. I went back to the Microsoft store, they checked it, reinstalled everything and now it's okay. At first, I wasn't very happy. I actually asked for an exchange as I didn't want to take the chance to have a non-working computer again, but they were out of stock. So I took it back and so far so good (it has been 3 weeks now I think). I don't know what the problem was, but when the tablet was coming back from sleep, I usually had an error message telling me that some driver stopped working. Since they reinstalled everything, I haven't had this message. So I guess they did fix it. Still, another person got the same problem here on Amazon, and this is preventing me from giving 5 stars.

- Price: I really wanted/needed 8GB. And the only way to get that is by buying the 256GB version. I'd have been fine with 128GB (we have so much cloud storage nowadays anyway). Original price is thus $1299, before taxes. And it doesn't include the keyboard! To me, Microsoft should include the touchcover with every version of the surface pro, it just doesn't make sense they don't do that. Fortunately for me, I got a sweet deal since it was the opening day of the Microsoft store here in Vancouver (Metrotown if you know). Not only were they giving the keyboard (the first gen of the touchcover, not the typecover or the 2nd generation) AND there was 10% off. All in all, given the 12% sale tax in Canada, I saved almost $300. At $1300 with taxes and with the keyboard, this is acceptable (it's pretty much the same price as another high-end ultrabook). At the original price, I wouldn't have bought it. I compeltely understand paying a little bit more than a ultrabook (such as the Lenovo Yoga pad pro 2) given the tablet form factor and the stylus with active digitizer, but not $300 more. Again Microsoft, bundle the keyboard! You can't advertize the device as a laptop replacement with a keyboard and charge $120 for it.

- When connected to a second monitor, you can't set two different DPI. You can only set two different resolutions. So when my surface pro 2 is connected and used as a second monitor, text can appear quite small on the surface screen (or then, I have to make everything look big on my 23in monitor). It'd be nice to have the option to set different DPI for every screen. Or possible, different DPI depending on whether the tablet is connected to another monitor or not. This issue is a Windows 8.1 one though, not a surface pro 2 specific one. Also, while Windows 8.1 deals with high resolution displays better than other versions of Windows, it's still not perfect. Some apps or programs are either too small or blurry (Chrome is an example of that for instance).

Pro/Con:
- I have the first gen touchcover. it worked relatively well and it protects the screen when I'M taking the surface pro 2 on the go, but if you intend on typing a long research paper, you'll need an external keyboard.

In conclusion, I really consider the surface pro 2 as an awesome computer and very good tablet. For me, it's a perfect 2-in-1 device (I actually gave away my Android tablet since then, I have a Nexus 4 anyway). But I think it might not be for everyone though. In particular, if you never connect it to a second monitor or docking station, you'll likely find the keyboard and screen too small and you should probably go with another ultrabook. Also, the official price is just too high and it's a shame the keyboard isn't included. If you can find a deal like me, go for it. Otherwise, I could see better options out there. But none if you really need the features of this device (Sony and Dell each have a surface pro 2 competitor, but they don't seem to be as good and/or they cost pretty much the same price anyway).

***EDIT January 30th 2014***

I thought I'd do an edit/update of my review. Here are some worthwhile points after 2-3 months of usage.

1) I bought the Plugable UD3900 docking station. Cheaper than the Microsoft one and better (and re-usable with any computer with a USB port). It's really fantastic. Now, when I come back from work, I simply connect the usb 3.0 cable and it turns my tablet into a desktop with a lot of usb ports, ethernet, etc. It's particularly useful to get ethernet as the wifi on the Surface Pro 2 seems a little bit slow (others have noticed it as well). I definitely recommend buying this product. And the customer service is just awesome (I had a problem with my mouse and they replied in like 5 hours).

2) The December 10th (firmware) update was a giant mess by Microsoft. I was unfortunate enough to install it and then my Surface Pro would wake up randomly after 1 hour (when in sleep mode) and drain the battery. MS pulled the update after a couple of days, but for people like me, it was too late. The good news is that the January update finally solved the issue. It took MS more than a month to fix a very serious issue though (I had to turn off the tablet completely. Good thing the Surface Pro can boot up in like 7 seconds. I'll not change my rating of 4 stars but the 5 stars is definitely not an option. MS was not communicating much about this issue (except saying a fix was coming...) and quite frankly, such a problem shouldn't happen when the same company makes the hardware and the software. Let's hope the issues are behind me now.

3) I actually found a way to have different DPI on different screens. Windows 8.1 is much better at this that Windows 7 or even 8. In the display settings, if you uncheck the "let me choose one scaling factor for all my displays", then Windows can scale differently depending on the size and resolution of the various screens. For me, it means the Surface pro displays at 100% scaling on my 23 in full HD monitor, but scales everything at 150% on the tablet as to make things (text, icons, etc) bigger. It works very well except for one issue: Windows doesn't actually truly scale differently. What it seems to do is take the main monitor when you sign in and set the scaling based on this monitor (so if I sign up on the tablet only, Windows will scale at 150% by default). If you then connect another screen, Windows will resize (NOT re-scale) everything on this second monitor. So for instance, when my tablet is connected to my 23 in monitor, Windows sets the scaling at 100%. And when I display something on the tablet, Windows will resize at 150%. It sounds good but by not actually rescaling but simply resizing, it means the secondary monitor is a little bit blurry (it literally streches the windows and text for instance, you can observe the re-sizing when moving a window from one monitor to the other). It's not a problem for the Metro app but it definitely is one for the desktop. If you want to re-set the scaling factor, you need to log out and log in (so if I unpluf my Surface to go somewhere, I need to log out to make sure evrything looks crips on the tablet only). Not the biggest issue and it's definitely better than before, but still not perfect. Oh, and Chrome still doesn't scale well, but this is Google's fault and not MS.

Overall, I'm still happy with my purchase even though the December update was puzzling for me. Beside this issue, the Surface Pro 2 is still the best option if you want a 2-in-1 device. I still see that as the future of computing. Hopefully MS won't release another faulty update in the future.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2013
Size Name: 8GB 256GB
I got my Surface Pro 2 on Oct 29th (8gb, 256gb version) and it worked very well until Nov 17th. I gave it a 4 star rating based on my initial experience just in the first 24 hours. This is an updated review based on two things: (1) The device failed to power on and went dead. I took it to the Microsoft Store and the technician wasn't able to do anything with it either. The technician also said he did not have a device to replace my failed one and that Microsoft's focus was to use their inventory to sell new devices and not for replacing failed devices under warranty!! The hardware looked like it needed better QA before someone shipped it away to customers. (2) I filed an advance replacement warranty complaint on Nov 17th and I got an "automated" email from Microsoft that they would ship a new device and details would come within 24-48 hours. Four days later, no signs of any email, or any device, and the status of my service request online still shows "in process". To say the least, I'm very disappointed at the poor quality of the device which was only matched my the even poorer response (or lack thereof) to the quality problem. But as a concept, I do still believe it's a device with great promise. Just poor execution.

Just when I thought it could not get worse - as I tried to have someone from customer service help me - that didn't work either. After some initial struggle to find an English speaking representative, I had to give up since all the rep could do was read the status of the service order from the Web site.

Note: I bought the Surface Pro 2 directly from the Microsoft store online and had posted a review with 4 stars with the initial performance, and posted the second review (above) with a single star. Microsoft "moderated" the second review and did not publish it. Not surprisingly, the reviews on Microsoft's Web site are heavily positive since Microsoft does not publish most of the reviews that rate them poorly.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 9, 2014
Size Name: 64GB
Pros

1. Very, Very fast. Fastest possible tablet on the market.
2. Very light and easy to transfer for a laptop
3. Solid built.
4. The battery life is more than adequate for a laptop.
5. The pen is fantastic for note taking. Perfect for college students.
6. You can attach a micro SD like the ones used on cell phones and tablet to add storage.
Cons

1. Expensive. At $899 for 64 GB it should have at least included the keyboard.
2. The screen size is considerably smaller than the average laptop.
3. The windows app store is very limited.
4. Can get pretty hot if using heavy programs.
5. There is no safe place to secure the pen.
6. Only has a single USB port.

I am writing this review to give an objective look at what has turned out to be a very polarizing product. Don't let the long list of cons at the top fool you into thinking I don't like the laptop. I like it, I like it a lot. I have been using this laptop for a few weeks now and I am still impressed at how useful and powerful it is. I will be discussing each of my pros and cons with more details below.

Pros (Continuation)

1. When I first laid hands on the laptop I did not have the type cover keyboard that I use now. Instead I had to rely on using it solely as a tablet for the first couple of weeks. If you have ever used an Ipad or an Android tablet then this computer will blow all of them out of the water when it comes to performance. It is much faster than any tablet that I used before. It doesn't lag like Android tablets and it is much more versatile than an Ipad. I have the 64 GB model that comes with 4 GB of built in memory. As of right now this has been more than enough for me. At times I had between 6-8 programs running in the background with a dozen tabs opened on Internet Explorer. The computer has not even flinched once. It is very smooth. I have absolutely no complaints when it comes to performance. I have been using it in "balanced mode" and not on "high performance" because I rather conserve battery life when I am using it. It has not mattered, this thing is a workhorse.

2. The second biggest advantage this laptop has is how light and pocket able it is. This laptop weights about 2 pounds without the keyboard. The keyboard weight maybe about another half pound. At 2 and a half pounds (roughly) this is one of the lightest laptops you can find on the market right now. When you stop using the laptop the keyboard can be folded up like a book or it can be simply taken away completely. Being able to take away the keyboard at any time is one of the biggest advantages that this laptop has over the other 2 in 1 laptops I seen on the market. Most of the other ones you can rotate the screen 360 degrees and fold the screen over the keyboard and it acts like a tablet. The problem with that is that you still are carrying the entire weight and the bulk of the keyboard with you everywhere. That is very uncomfortable when you are trying to use it as a tablet. The Microsoft Surface on the other hand is only about three quarters of an inch thick without the keyboard and about an inch thick with the keyboard. Like I said before, very pocket able.

3. The construction of the tablet is made out of metal, not plastic. It feels pretty tough and solid on the hands. Probably the biggest weakness is the actual screen itself which at the end of the day is made out of glass. I have seen videos where it can easily withstand drops on its sides and on its back with very minimal damage on the tablet. When it is dropped face down however, it has cracked just like a cell phone screen would crack.

4. When it comes to battery life Microsoft did a pretty good job improving from the first generation Surface laptop. On a regular day the laptop lasts about 6 hours. I mainly use it indoors and the screen is on at a quarter brightness. It is definitely comfortable to see indoors and it makes for a good balance between battery life and visibility. If you use the laptop for games or heavy programs like Photoshop then the battery life is going to go down considerably however. What happens is that a few minutes after you start playing a graphic intensive game the fan on the inside turns on and that uses quite a bit of battery. But if you are looking to use the laptop to browse the web or use programs like Microsoft Office then I don't think you will have any problems getting at least 6 hours on it.

5. I am currently in college. I use the pen that comes with the Surface every single day. It is an excellent tool for note taking. I carry all of my notes for all my classes on the computer. All of my notes are hand written because I love making sketches and annotation when I am taking notes. I also have all my books in pdf documents and I love being able to make annotation on them. The program used to make take notes is called One Note and comes with Microsoft Office. It is an excellent program and it is essential if you want to make the most of the pen that comes bundled with the Surface.

6. The $899 model of the laptop only comes with 64 GB SDD for storage. Only 36 GB of those are usable right out of the box. The rest is taken up by the Operating System. Thankfully, Microsoft decided to include a Micro SD slot on the side of the laptop that allows you to insert a Micro SD Card just like the ones found on cell phones and other tablets. You can buy a 32 GB card for about $20 dollars.

Cons (Continuation)
1. The single biggest problem I had with this tablet when I was deciding on buying it was the price. At $899 for only 64 GB of hard drive it is very expensive. Keep in mind that the keyboard is not included. The keyboard will set you back another $130 dollars. It is beyond me why Microsoft does not include the keyboard with the laptop. They call the keyboard an accessory but honestly it is a necessity. You can't really do any real work on the laptop without the physical keyboard. The on screen keyboard that appears when you don't have the physical keyboard attached makes it very painful to use when you are trying to use the laptop on desktop mode. Anyways, if you are looking at the Surface simply as a laptop and not as a combination of a laptop and tablet then keep in mind you can probably get a better deal buying a regular laptop. You can get an i5 processor laptop with 4GB of ram and about 300 GB HDD for around $500 dollars. The Surface makes more financial sense for those people that plan to use the computer both as a laptop and a tablet. Why spend $500 dollars on a tablet and another $500 dollars on a laptop when you can have both in one product that you can carry around at all times?

2. The drawback of making such a light and portable laptop is that the screen size is considerably smaller than the average laptop. The screen size is 10.6 inches diagonally which is closer to a tablet than a laptop. I personally do not have a problem with that but I know a lot of other people do. Many people are used to working with 15-17 inch laptops. When they see the size of the Surface they simply can't handle it. I have not encountered any problems with the size when working with it myself but I can see how this small size might not be ideal for somebody who is working on graphic design or AutoCad. Sometimes you just need more real estate to work with.

3. The Windows app store is still severely inferior to the Android and IOS App store. There are many apps that I have found on the Android Play Store that are missing on the Windows Store. However, this is not nearly as big of a problem in the Surface Pro 2 because you still can install all of the regular programs that a normal laptop can install. The Windows app store is constantly improving but they still have work to do when it comes to creating apps that will work well with a device that has such a small screen.

4. Due to the limited size of the laptop it tends to get hot when under a lot of stress. This thing will get quite warm when you are using heavy games and graphic intensive programs. It is not that big deal of a deal if you are using it in your lap or on table. I purchased a cover for the computer that protected the outer covering of the laptop but it was badly designed. I saw that it covered a large portion of the of the air vent that keeps the computer cool. The computer CPU got quite hot after using it only for a few minutes. Be careful what kind of cover you buy for this laptop.

5. It is a shame that Microsoft did not include a safe way to store the pen. They have it so you can attach the pen to the side of the laptop. But the magnet is not very strong and it is very easy to drop the pen by mistake. I always have to carry the pen on a side compartment of my book bag. They should have done like Samsung did with the Note series where you can store the pen inside the device itself. I was disappointed. I know myself, I know at some point I am going to lose the pen and end up paying $30 dollars for a replacement.

6. Another limitation that the laptop has is the fact that it only has one USB slot. That can be a problem if you are planning to use more than one USB accessory. I don't like the trackpad on the type cover keyboard. While I am at home I always use a Bluetooth mouse. I had to buy it separately because I did not want my other regular wireless mouse to occupy my only USB port with the receiver. Keep in mind that the charger that comes with the computer also comes with a USB port that can be used to charge your cell phone if you desire. That one can only be used for charging purposes though.

In conclusion, I want to say I highly recommend this laptop/tablet if you are a student or are looking to give a gift to a college bound student. It is a much better decision than buying an Ipad if you are looking to get real work done. Just know that there are going to be limitations such as screen size and price. I love my laptop and I really hope that this review has helped you decide whether it is right for you or not. Good luck with your decision.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2014
Size Name: 8GB 256GBVerified Purchase
Awesome Microsoft Tablet.
Mircosoft Surface Pro 2, 256GB SSD, 8GB Ram.

Date of this review is 10/18/14:

. . .A little about me:
-I like using small icons regardless of desktop size and make all icons on the task bar tray to SMALL.
-I originally hated Win 8.1 PRO as I came from Win 7. However with a handy addon called "Startisback.com", it adds the functionality of Win 7 Start Button back to Win 8.1 Pro.
-Besides the SP2, I have 2 Core i7 with SSD laptops running on Win 8.1 PRO and I NEVER use the Metro interface. I'm still a hardcore Desktop interface user.
-Win 8.1 PRO takes a little getting used to but once you know where everything is, WIN 8.1 PRO is the clear winner as the OS is optimized for SSD and more up-to-date on the software side of things.

Reason Why I did not upgrade to Surface Pro 3:

- Too expensive. Not worth the price at its current selling point. Product is TOO NEW. (Will Discuss more in-depth)
-Wacom Digitizer versus N-Trig Stylus/Screen Technology (Will discuss more in-deth)
-Screen Size/Overall Size (SurfacePro2 is more compact and easier to carry then the bigger SurfacePro3)
-Standard 2 setting viewing angle can be modified with a better Tablet Case (Discuss more in-depth)

Other reasons:

-New Intel Graphics Chip now outperforms the old-ugly Integrated Graphics Chips from the Past. (Will post Frames-Per-Second Benchmarks later, in-depth)
-Powerful enough to Run Photoshop. Now with Adobe Cloud, Photoshop runs even smoother.
-Great for Artists to draw on using Manga Studio 5 or any other drawing application that runs on Windows Operating System.
-8 GB ram is plenty for a tablet on-the-go Workstation. Is "Just-enough" when doing light video editing, and almost plenty for image editing. This may depend on the image pixel density that is being worked with.
-Can be as compact as a tablet or be expanded with accessories to be a Laptop/Tower like Work Station.
-MicroSD Card expansion for even more memory Storage.
-Front and Back Facing Cameras.
-Windows 8.1 PRO not as bad as many people think (I thought it sucked in the past, but runs amazingly well in the long run).
-Retails for ~$400 (Rare but people are selling it cheap) - $600 (I was able to buy it at $650) -$780+ (Current "Used" Price to buy this tablet).

>>>>> Surface PRO 3 versus Surface PRO 2 <<<<<
-Larger Screen of SP3 12" may not be great for everyone as the screen size does not account for tablet size. SP2 Screen size at 10.2" is "Just-right". Though this may differ from user to user based on how each person interacts with the Device.
-At the same specs as the SP2 @ 256GB SSD + 8GB ram, and you are looking at a SP3 worth ~$1,100 > ~$1,300. Not worth the Jump.
-Many Forums are still complaining about the quirks in the SP3, so until that gets fixed, I won't be jumping on that band wagon.

>>>>> Wacom versus N-Trig <<<<<
- SP2 uses Wacom Digitizer technology for the Screen interface. SP3 uses the N-Trig (Bluetooth) technology for the Screen Interface.
-I have scoured forums and youtube channels looking for niche differences. What I have concluded is this:
----->>WACOM:<<-----
-The Industry Standard when Drawing/art Studios. Think Wacom Cintiq.
-Does not require batteries.
-Replaceable nibs (the tip of stylus)
-No Lag in interface.
-Sometimes when drawing really fast on the screen, the strokes are not recognized as it nears the edge of the screen.
-Not wireless, and is Palm-resisting when the Stylus Digitizer is near the screen.
----->>N-TRig<<-----
-The new Bluetooth Pen Technology in town. Not very well-known.
-Requires Batteries to work. 2 Batteries, one for the Pen and one for Bluetooth.
-Replaceable nibs. (THe tip of stylus)
-LAG in interface by milliseconds. It is apparently noticeable when using slow brushing movements.
-Fast strokes are recognized even as the strokes go off screen.
---->>So overall? <------
This one really boils down to personal preference, but one thing I do hate is a Pen dying on me because its batteries ran out. I don't have to deal with that kinda let-down using a Wacom Stylus.

>>>>> Screen Size? <<<<<
-I always believed bigger was better until I started needing laptops for on-the-go. Basically More power in a smaller Form factor.
-Screen Size puzzled me as my first computer was a 27" Monitor (HP Pavillion, Quad-Core).
Then I Upgraded to a 15.6" Power horse Laptop (ASUS N53SV, Corei7, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, and weighs like 5 pounds).
Then I upgraded to a 13.3" Power horse laptop (ASUS UX32VD, Core i7, 10GB Ram, 256GB SSD, and weighs <3 pounds).
-While at the same time, I have been using the Motorola Xoom 32GB Wifi as well as the Xperia Z (1st Gen) Tablet. Both of which are 10.1" diagonal screen.

So noting all this,
I am more concerned about MORE POWER in a SMALLER FORM FACTOR.
Getting the SP3 @ 12" is like me getting another ASUS UX32VD except I can touch the screen more at higher levels of pressure sensitivity. Not the big of a change, I wanted smaller and more functionality. Surface Pro 2 Fits the bill perfectly.

>>>>> Viewing Stand worth the Upgrade? <<<<<
-The SP2 comes with only 2 (3 in my opinion) settings for the viewing angle.
1st Angle is the basic opening of the Surface Pro, similar to the first generation of Surface Pros.
2nd Viewing Angle is more like the kind of viewing angle one would normally see from a tablet.
-3rd Viewing angle is the tablet flat on the table. Great for Drawing.

I have bought the SP2 with this case: "Surface Pro 2 Case, ESR Intelligent Series"
Upon closer inspection:
-Allows any possible viewing angle. The Case itself becomes the stand. The drawback is the extra bulk from the protective case, which is negligible.
-Looks incredibly professional. Quality Faux leather.
-Design does not hinder ANY ports. Allows SP2 to be charged while in case.
-Design engineered towards allowing the SP2 to breath and ventilate properly.
-Includes a Elastic Band loop to hold the SP2 Digitizer Stylus. (SUPER HAPPY, typically Case makers forget to include this)

-The SP3 Supports multiple (any possible angle allowed) straight out of the box. But due to how fragile the SP3 is (look up Surface Pro 3 Drop tests) and any sane minded person would buy a case.
-Typically a case would already obstruct the torque-viewing stand, so becomes a deal-breaker.
Then again, this really depends on how each person uses their device.

>>>> Is the 10.1" Screen too small for Windows Applications? <<<<<
-Maybe, depending on how you use the tablet.

-The desktop icons can be changed to the size of your Thumb Print if you wanted to. This will decrease the real-estate of your desktop for other icons, HOWEVER, if you use metro interface, all this is negligible due to how Metro Interface works
-Metro Interface literally grabs all your Windows Applications and slaps it onto a Side-Scrolling Canvas with icons the size of your Middle Finger Print.

I However use the desktop straight out of familiarity. And I use the smallest Icon size allowed. including Smallest icons for the task bar.

I get away with this by compensating the device with a mouse and the Type Cover 2 (The back lighting helps wonderfully when typing in a low-light classroom setting). The mouse allows me to make the more precise and miniscule clicks i need and the detachable keyboard is simply a must-have.

The on-screen keyboard is just like typing on a 10.1" android Tablet. Maybe even similar to a Apple ipad Tablet (Have tried it before and didn't notice much of a difference). However it does get in the way when needing to type on windows based application. Even typing on the browser becomes a hassle.

BottomLine:
-I chose to ditch the Metro Interface. Its actually fun to use, but I have used Win 7 for so long, it feels alien to switch to Metro,
-Get the Type Cover 2 and the ESR protection case. Worth the money for protection and typing simplicity.
-N-trig and Battery replacement is a Gripe. I have enough to worry about when charging tablets/smartphones/laptops. The last thing i need is to carry some exotic AAAAA battery that no one sells.

I also own a Wacom inkling and the exotic battery (I think its a AAAAA) inside is RECHARGEABLE. The N-Trig isn't. Bummer.

Highly recommend this device. Worth the $650 I paid for this. Though an additional ~$60>$100 (I got one for $60) for Type Cover 2, and $40 for ESR SP2 Protection Case.
on April 23, 2014
Size Name: 8GB 256GB
Let me say, when I first saw the concept of the surface I thought, good grief, this is going to be a huge flop. too expensive, too heavy, etc. etc. Now, I can't speak to the surface RT, but as a power user who tries to squeeze everything possible out of his tablet (and I had an iPad and Samsung galaxy note tablets) I am delighted with this purchase. The flexibility of this device is absolutely incredible. That fact that I can run full office in windows and any other app (You can even run steam games at lower resolutions/graphics settings). The snap on keyboard cover is great for typing (not the touch one with the membrane, icky...the nice clicky one with the lighted keyboard). Does the integrated mouse pad suck? Okay you got me there. You can't have everything. It does work okay for some things but I prefer the pen for detailed clicking or the Microsoft Bluetooth Arc (awesome, no dongle). The 256 ssd is plenty roomy and because you also have up to a 64gb sd card there is plenty of room. I like to download movies and tv shows and move them to the sd card to keep the hard drive free and that works just fine.

Because of the high res screen yes, you will have to keep the desktop to 150% of the normal size AND you will probably find it necessary to increase the text size for individual items like icons and menus (I found that very helpful). The screen is absolutely stunning and video look wonderful. Also I use mine for work and presentations. Tablets were always kind of clunky for me to use and never had the exact apps I wanted running things the way I wanted them to run. I LOVE that you can use the Wacom pen to write on pdf documents using the native reader WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ON ANY SPECIAL INKING. Also, the pen, when near the screen disables the touch input so you don't accidentally move the screen with your finger or ink with your finger. This allows you to lay your hand on the screen while writing without screwing anything up. Also, the ability to erase your inking by turning the pen over and using "the eraser" without having to hit any special buttons makes marking things up and changing them so incredibly easy. The pen is very accurate and the handwriting feels silky smooth. Really good.

Is it heavy for a tablet? Yes, but it's not a tablet It's an ultrabook that acts like a tablet. It's really only heavy if you're going to be holding it in your hands with no support, yes. I like that you can use it in portrait mode, landscape (which it was really made for) and that you can use it 1) with the keyboard open and the kickstand, 2) with the keyboard attached but flipped under the device to make the kickstand more stable on your lap, 3) with no keyboard and the kickstand or 4) no keyboard in your lap as a plain tablet. You can use your finger, trackpad, pen, or external mouse for navigation. A very flexible device.

Does the windows store have the app selection of google play or iTunes? Hell no. It probably will never catch up. Ever. However, there are a number of very useable apps and I absolutely love the layout of the news app and my subscriptions to the NY times and WSJ work very well. What I love is the versatility. I can seamlessly switch back and forth from desktop supercomputer for high powered office work to fun tablet apps and news browsing video watching. I haven't picked up my tablet once since I've purchase this device. Hell I'm not even picking up my behemoth desktop replacement ASUS gaming notebook except for big time video editing and content creation and high end gaming.

Battery life is extremely good, 6-7 hours using balanced power mode. Also if you get the (not cheap) 200 dollar keyboard/battery it effectively increase the battery life by approximately 75%. You could use this thing nonstop on an international flight and most likely never run out of juice. That keyboard is quite heavy however, adding to the weight considerably, but it uses the keyboard battery first before using the internal battery so you can just take it off if you're not doing heavy typing once it's spent.

What don't I like? If you don't know how to fix them, tiny tiny fonts. Most can be made much better. I haven't really found anything particularly frustrating however. Windows 8.1 takes some super getting used to, but after you get the feel of it you can switch so quickly it just feels like 2nd nature. Also the comfort of knowing that if I can't find something in the app store for the metro interface that I can always find great windows software to run from the desktop.

If you're tired of having "desktop equivalent" office products on a tablet, then I highly recommend this device
If you're a power user I highly recommend this device
If you don't want to lug a large notebook but need access to your important work stuff that is NOT available on any tablet, I highly recommend this device
If you want a fun device fused to your work device in one package I highly recommend this device.

I would NEVER have purchased this device if it were an RT running only the metro interface. No way, no how, and honestly I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone ever would when you compare it to other tablets. The PRO version puts this device in a class by itself if you ask me.

Also, hooks easily to any monitor using adapters like mini display port to vga or to hdmi, you don't even need a proprietary dongle, A standard mini display port to hdmi cable works perfectly.

Windows apps like office are snappy snappy snappy.
No bloatware!

okay i'm getting tired of typing. Contact me if you have questions. I'll answer them the best I can.
on November 23, 2013
Size Name: 64GB
This is a pretty good tablet. It's helpful if you want to be an artist like I do because the pen is really useful.
However, this product is cheaper if you go to microsoft.com, so don't buy it on Amazon.
on May 6, 2014
Size Name: 8GB 256GB
I have a pretty extensive background in IT and specifically Windows & Networking. I have been both a Systems Engineer and a Developer before becoming an IT Director. I spend 8-10 hours per day working on a Windows system of some sort. After two months I have just taken the final step or returning my laptop to my Support Manager as I have completely switched over to my Surface Pro 2.

The Good
Nice Design – Small, light weight
Display – Nice display on the device itself but even better when connected to external monitors.
Battery Life – Far better than most laptops, 6-7 hours of continued use.
Docking Station – A must have.

The Bad
Key board – The onscreen keyboard is similar to an iPad, the attached keyboard works but it’s small enough to be a little hard to use comfortably.
Touch Pad – It works but isn’t great. Get an Arc Mouse Surface instead.
Stylus – Useless
Interface – The Metro Interface is not very helpful.

The Ugly
Price – Nuff Said

I have had several iPads over the past few years and while I was able to use them for emails, calendaring, and other trivial tasks I really could not do serious work on an iPad. This was the case with many of my colleagues as well. Most of us had both an iPad and a Laptop as the iPad became a supplementary device and not a replacement. I now have a single device that works in both scenarios.

My hope was to integrate the Surface Pro 2 into our network and use it like any Windows device. It had to run the standard software packages, be subject to the same management policies, and not create additional support efforts for my staff. I have Office 2010, Visio 2010, MS Project 2010 and a few development tools loaded on my Surface and it runs everything well. I do not yet use Office 2013 as 2010 is still our corporate standard. We use Sophos AV, Juniper, and SCCM as corporate management tools. The SP2 works well with all of them. The SP2 knocks it out of the park for corporate network integration.

I use the docking station daily. I have an HP LaserJet Printer, a Canon Scanner, and a wireless MS Natural Keyboard & mouse set connected to the docking station. It runs all three without issue. I have not yet found a USB device that does not work just as well on the SP2 as it did on my Dell Laptop running Windows 7.

The SP2 really shines when attached to nice external monitors. I have two Dell U2414H 24-inch monitors connected via the display port. Using the DisplayPort 1.2 setup you can daisy chain two monitors from one display port on the dock and it works well. When I come to the office I drop my SP2 into the dock and when it boots up (seconds) it recognizes both displays instantly. When I go to a meeting a remove my SP2 from the dock and all open apps are now visible on the SP2 screen. Returning the SP2 to the dock restores the screen to the dual monitors just as I had hoped it would.

Windows 8.1 took some tweaking to reach a point where it was not cumbersome but with the latest release you can have it boot to the desktop directly. There are third party apps that will restore the Windows 7 style start menu but I have become comfortable with the “Apps” view that will show when you select the “start” icon. I am not a fan of the Metro Interface and have found it completely unnecessary. I also rarely use the touch screen capabilities which is nice when needed but most applications are designed for a mouse and keyboard. I expect that will change over time but isn’t an issue now.

I have read many reviews discussing the SkyDrive and Skype as great additions. While I am sure they work well I had cloud storage and Skype on my iPad so for me they were more “me too” apps.

I am very happy with this purchase as I was able to completely replace a laptop and iPad with one device. While I did not save much in cost I have a device which is far more convenient and has far greater capability. I can actually be more productive with a single device.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations