Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Microsoft Surface Type Cover 2 (Black)
Color: BlackChange
Price:$74.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 24, 2014
Microsoft Type Cover 2

Pros-
1. Comfortable and accurate typing.
2. Slim design that is compatible with many cases.
3. Backlit keyboard is very useful.

Cons-
1. Very overpriced.
2. Feels cheap.
3. Trackpad is inferior to most other laptops.
4. A couple of bugs.

I bought my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 laptop at the beginning of this year. The local Best Buy where I bought it did not have the keyboard in stock. After a week I finally managed to get my hands on it. A month and a half of using the keyboard I can’t help but feel mixed emotions. For the most part the experience has been very good and the keyboard serves its purpose really well. However, I have experienced a few frustrating bugs and a feeling of not getting my money’s worth at times. I will elaborate more on the pros and cons of the device in the hope that it helps you make an informed purchasing decision.

Pros (Continuation)

1. The main function of any keyboard is obviously to type and make the experience as efficient as possible. The Type Cover 2 does just that. It is very easy, comfortable and efficient to type with it. As a matter of fact I am typing this review with it at the moment. Even though the keyboard is more compact than the standard size you would use on a desktop, the layout is very well organized and I have not experienced the cramped feeling I had while using other small netbooks. The keyboard is pretty sturdy on your lap. The part that attaches to the laptop is somewhat flexible. This is good because it allows you to adjust the keyboard accordingly when you have it on your lap. It makes up for the lack of mobility on the back stand of the laptop. I have tried both the Type cover and the Touch cover. If you are planning to do regular typing then without question the Type cover is the one for you. It is much, much better than the Touch cover in this aspect. The Touch cover feels like you are typing on a touch screen, the Type cover feels like a real keyboard. I am used to typing without looking at my hands and I had to constantly look down while using the Touch cover because it does not provide any tactile feedback when you press the keys. I have not encountered any problems with the Type Cover keyboard while typing. It really delivers in this area.

2. One of the reasons that people buy the Surface Pro 2 is because of its portability. Fortunately, the Type Cover does not hinder this in any way. The keyboard itself is very light and only about a quarter inch thick. It is very easy to remove it and store it somewhere else if desired. If you do decide to take the laptop on the road you will be glad to know that the keyboard is compatible with pretty much every case on Amazon. There are some cases that will even have a strap on the end that will help you keep the whole laptop and the keyboard close together like a book.

3. One of the main differences between the original Type Cover and the Type Cover 2 is the fact that the latter one contains a back lit keyboard. I never thought I was going to use it nearly as much as I do. Sometimes I find myself using the computer in my room where there is not enough light and it is so good to be able to see clearly where the keys are. In this aspect I am very glad that I did not go with the first generation Type Cover. It is one of those underrated features that you think you don’t need but will end up using at some point or another.

Cons (Continuation)

1. I am a firm believer that the Type Cover is not really an accessory like Microsoft advertises it, it is a necessity if you want to get real work done on the laptop. With that said I find it really absurd and greedy that Microsoft is not including the keyboard with the laptop. At a cost of $130 dollars I find the keyboard itself to be overpriced. I have seen decent Android tablets cost that. I don’t know if Microsoft is losing money on the Surface Pro but they are really trying to make up for it with the accessories.

2. One of the disadvantage of making the keyboard so light is the fact that the keyboard is not going to have that “premium” feel to it. The keyboard is not made of metal like the ones on premium laptops. It is not made of plastic either. It is some kind of rubber/leathery material (not sure what to call it). After only a month and a half of use I have seen some discoloration on the trackpad area. It is noticeable and I really don’t like it one bit. I have also seen some mild stains around that same trackpad area. Pretty frustrating to see signs of wear and tear so soon into a product’s life cycle. I am not a destructive user by any means. It really should not be this way after so little time. Long term durability is a clear question mark on this keyboard.

3. I have owned two laptops in the past. One of them was an HP laptop and the other was a MacBook Air(2013) model. Both had very good trackpads. The trackpad on the Type Cover 2 feels small and uncomfortable in comparison. It is below average to say the least. The one on the MacBook air is not only much bigger but much more responsive. The swipe feature on the trackpad don’t work very well. I often have to swipe a few time for it to detect the swipe actions. The actual mouse scrolling does work pretty well though. But like I said the actual physical area of the trackpad is small and will take some getting used to.

4. I have experienced a couple of bugs throughout my experience using the Type Cover 2 that I feel you should be aware before buying. On a few occasions I had the trackpad on the keyboard lose control completely. The mouse just simply stops working. I have had to detach it and reattach it to get it working properly. Another problem I had is that it sometimes doesn’t detect that the keyboard is attached. Then if you touch any part of the screen the laptop think that you want to type and it will automatically display the touchscreen keyboard. It is very irritating because this takes away half of the screen. This should not be happening when the keyboard is attached. I hope that can be fixed in future updates.

In conclusion, do I recommend purchasing this keyboard? I do, simply because you cannot use the Surface Pro to its full potential without it. It is not like there are much better alternatives out there. At least none that will fit so well with the Microsoft Surface. The keyboard does its primary function pretty well but it is far from perfect. I experienced a few annoying bugs along the way. When you couple that with the questionable build quality it just makes you wonder why Microsoft is charging so much money for it. I am not going to lie, I am worried about he long term durability of the keyboard. I have seen quite a few first generation Type Cover start peeling on one of the sides within the first year. So far mine has already started to show wear and tear after only a few weeks of use. I guess only time will tell. I don’t want you to think that I completely hate the keyboard. I like it for the most part, I just don’t want you to feel like it is sunshine and roses with it. You will have to adapt somewhat to the small trackpad and the different bugs. I hope this review helped you get a better idea of how the experience is with the Type Cover 2. Good luck on your search for a new keyboard.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2013
I use a Surface Pro and have used all 3 currently available detachable keyboards (Touch Cover, Type Cover, Type Cover 2) with it. Of the three available options, the Type Cover 2 is slightly better than the standard Type Cover - so it is the one that I would recommend.

PROS

The two advantages of the Type Cover 2 over the Type Cover are the sturdiness and the back light.

The slightly sturdier feel is a big deal to me because I also keep my Surface Pro in a cover - and the keyboard hangs a bit off of the cover, creating a gap between the keyboard and whatever surface it is resting on. With the older Type Cover, this resulted in a flimsier feel and the keyboard "bouncing" more as I typed. The firmer Type Cover 2 helps with this and is the biggest single benefit. However, I must point out that I let a co-worker use it and she reported that she preferred the feel of the keyboard on her Type Cover over my Type Cover 2 - so this is an area of opinion.

The keyboard back light is also nice. If you spent time in a room with virtually no lighting available, this will be a must-have feature. Since I rarely find myself in that situation, it is of nominal value.

CONS

The biggest con for this keyboard (and for the Type Cover) is the track pad/mouse. It is simply pathetic. The tactile surface of the trackpad on the Type 2 is a slight improvement over the Type. But all the other drawbacks remain. It is overly sensitive and I find myself constantly unintentionally touching it and re-positioning my cursor (I've experimented with the sensitivity settings - but none have eliminated this problem). The surface of it is so small that it is impossible to move the mouse a small bit at a time. And the left/right click areas do not provide feedback and work consistently enough - click click/drag operations are ... well ... a drag. Mac laptops have been able to have nice large trackpads for years - and Logitech makes an external one. Why can't Microsoft get this very important detail right? Even if they didn't want to make the Type Cover any larger, they could move the keys up a bit and they're not using all the available real estate for the trackpad - they could easily make it 20% larger (though it needs to be closer to 50% larger to make it as truly useful as it needs to be).

The other con is the price. I guess Microsoft is losing money on the Surface tablets, so they're charging a fortune for keyboards and adaptors to try to make up for it. But the cost of these add-ons is crazy. I would swallow it if it was truly a great keyboard and mouse - but it isn't.

Sadly, if you're using a Surface and you want the connected keyboard, the Type Cover 2 is the only available option at this time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2013
I highly disliked the keyboards that Microsoft released for the original surface, so I decided to hold out until the keyboards that came with the surface 2 were released. I was not disappointed.

Pros:
1. The keys are backlit, which is amazing when web-browsing in the evening. The user does have the option to turn the backlit keys off by pressing the selected F-Keys.
2. The user can control how bright the backlit keys are, again by pressing the selected F-Keys
3. The senor on the keyboard automatically turns off the backlit function of the keyboard to conserve power. Smart decision by Microsoft.
4. The keys feel incredibly smooth and user friendly! I learned this keyboard quickly and after about twenty minutes, I was typing just about as quickly as I normally did on my desktop keyboard.

Cons:
1. No Volume Control on the keyboard, but it's a rather minor complaint considering the keyboard is physically attached to the surface which does have manual volume control.
2. No ten-key, again minor since many smaller keyboards these days don't have one to begin with. Being a numbers guy, I'm rather disappoint most keyboards fail to produce a ten-key
3. After about 10 minutes of typing, I started to get fingerprint marks on the keyboard, which is a tad disappointing. This holds true even after I wash my hands. None of my other keyboards got dirty this quickly, which tells me how delicate the keyboard can possibly be.

Overall great keyboard, Im glad I waited to get it versus the original "PoS" keyboards that were originally released by Microsoft. I can't comment on the mouse, since I hardly use it. However, it does appear more responsive compared to most laptop mice I come across and use. I can definitely say that this keyboard is not for people who tend to be on the messy side and place food and beverages near their keyboards. I sense quick dissatisfaction when it comes to spills. Hence, I wouldn't recommend this to a child, but it's definitely handy otherwise.

UPDATE: After seeing the price tag now, I want to add that I only paid $137.00-ish, which is the original $129.99 price plus a little expedited shipping. If you pay anyone more than the original $129.99 price tag, then you shouldn't buy from them.... at all.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 24, 2014
Microsoft Type Cover 2

Pros-
1. Comfortable and accurate typing.
2. Slim design that is compatible with many cases.
3. Backlit keyboard is very useful.

Cons-
1. Very overpriced.
2. Feels cheap.
3. Trackpad is inferior to most other laptops.
4. A couple of bugs.

Pros (Continuation)

Cons (Continuation)

on November 9, 2013
After going back and forth between the Touch Cover 2 and the Type Cover 2, I chose the former for the following reasons:
1. It's thinner. At just 2.5 mm, it barely adds thickness to the Surface 2's profile. The Type Cover 2 is twice as thick at 5 mm.
2. It's lighter by 65 grams. When you hold the Surface for an extended period of time, you do feel its heft so every gram shed matters.
3. It's better for flipping. When I'm browsing the web or reading magazines, I flip the cover back. You can also flip the Type Cover but the moving keys can be annoying.
4. Its backlight do not bleed. Unlike the Type Cover, the Touch Cover do not have any opening so only the letters are illuminated.
5. It's dirt-resistant and easy to clean. While both the Type Cover and Touch Cover are mostly made of the same material, the keys in the Type Cover attracts smudges. The Touch Cover is made entirely of that felt material which is resistant to oil and dust.

Unlike its previous iteration, Touch Cover 2 is very sensitive, capturing even feather-light presses. This means you can be very accurate with this keyboard, given that your fingers are also accurate. The lack of physical keys means you don't get the feedback you get from standard keyboard, but with practice, the depression on the home keys is enough for accurate touch-typing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
This is a great addition to my Microsoft Surface Pro 2

Pros:
- backlit keys
- great response on the mechanical keys
- perfect size keys (it could be improved)
- ightweight

Cons:
- the back cover is made of fabric, and on cyan color it gets dirty very fast, there is no instructions on how to clean it without damaging the electronic components
- mouse pad is not comfortable, cannot feel or sense the left and right buttons
- there is no function to enable or disable the mouse pad, when you are working with an external mouse, I frequently move the cursor by mistake.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2013
I purchased this Microsoft Surface Type Cover 2, because I recently purchased my item from Microsoft
(Surface), then went to Best Buy and purchased the Type Cover 2. I only went to Best Buy because the cheapest option on Amazon was 229.99, which I paid 129.99 at Best Buy. A much better deal!

However, lets focus on the product itself:

The product is BACKLIT, which is sick, and a much improved option over the first Type Cover. I type about 100 WPM, so I need something stable and something that definitely can keep up with my typing, something that could not be done by either the touch cover or the touch cover 2. The cover 2 has improved, but nothing to level that it needs to be. The reason I went with the type cover 2 is because I new that it would be suffice for my abilities, I only say that in case that you're a typing guru like myself. That way, when you're in class, the office, or personally messing around you will have the correct keyboard that suites you game just fine! The Type cover 2 has over 3000 sensors in it, which is why is it dead on accurate, and it's just as slim as the touch covers, which is hard to believe, but extremely true! I am so glad Microsoft revamped the Surface into the Surface 2 and revamped the keyboarding option. I used to type on the Type Cover 1, but it was slow, laggy, and missed a ton of letters, this keyboard does absolutely NONE of those. The backlit keys are also a nice function and allow you to work in the dark while watching a movie on a split screen, or something! It's a fansastic product, it's well worth the 10 dollars over the touch cover!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2014
I love the back-lit keys. The size is nice and I and love the feel. It's not too small for typing comfort ( I have small(ish) hands). The track pad is fine but the "mouse" buttons are not so easy. They are too small and a bit temperamental. A mouse takes care of that problem. The only downside I notice is that it seems to have connection/magnet problems when used on my lap or an uneven surface. It does not keep a firm magnetic grip except on a flat surface. Not a serious issue for my needs but could be for someone who wants/needs to use the keyboard on their lap.
on February 28, 2014
The keys work great and I can actually do real work with the Type Cover 2.
I use the Msft Surface Pro as a laptop replacement and am in desktop mode 99% of the time.
The lack of a dedicated button for right-mouse click is a huge disappointment for me.
The touchpad right-click is too erratic and takes a couple of tries to work.

Edit-
I have a Microsoft Surface Mouse now. I also learned, that shift + F10 also does right-click.
on January 29, 2014
I thought i'd shake things up a bit and get a different color than the standard black. After not only a week there's a couple dirt smudges on the back, so I can easily see that in a few months from now this thing will look nasty. I'm thinking about exchanging it for a black one, at least that will hide it some.

It's fabric/felt like so it won't be easy to clean, and the mouse track pad is not as comfortable to use. I'm once again amazed as always how these things can get out of the testing phase. After one days use these things become obvious and easy to fix.