4.0 out of 5 stars (ALMOST) As Easy as A, B, C
I give this product 4 stars. 5 Stars for the quality of features unlocked and less 1 star for the hoops and hurdles involved in getting the Win 7 XP mode to be fully functioning.

Published on December 23, 2010 by Michael Ballack

3.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade was not as easy as it indicated in the product
I bought a Toshiba Satellite P755D-S5378 with Home Premium. After purchasing the code I've recieved an error message that the code it's invalid for that operating system or sometimes that I have to change the key for the Anytime Upgrade. Here`s is how I fixed it.

Published on March 6, 2012 by Luis

4.0 out of 5 stars (ALMOST) As Easy as A, B, C, December 23, 2010

Well, if you were previously like me, having a Win 7 Home Premium O/S, hesistant about spending an extra US$129.99 (as at the time of writing) for an O/S upgrade, there are a couple of things you might want to know before taking the plunge.

My Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q898 laptop (also bought from Amazon) came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Unless you require practical features such as Bitlocker, XP Mode and the ability to use other languages for your O/S, the Ultimate edition is an overkill for the typical consumer. Well, as for "intangible" benefits, running Win 7 Ultimate comes with bragging rights too... ;) hee hee

This product will only upgrade Win 7 Home Premium 32 Bit/64 Bit to Win 7 Ultimate 32Bit/64Bit respectively. It will not work with any other combination of OSes. For e.g., if you currently have Win 7 HP 32 Bit, you will only get Win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, NOT Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. Another e.g., if you have Win 7 Starter, Win XP (any variant) or Vista (any variant), this product will not work.

This product does not come with any discs, neither DVD nor CD. You are actually purchasing a serial-number printed onto a little card. The card itself is enclosed in a plastic box the size of one's palm. The plastic box is itself wrapped by a cardboard sleeve. This is what one would expect to physically receive from purchasing this product.

On my system,it only took 5 mins to perform the upgrade. I attribute this to the SSD boot drive on my system. MS states that the upgrade will take 10mins. I reckon the other extra 5 mins is required for conventional systems which boot up from a non-SSD HDD. This is because your system needs to reboot a couple of times after the upgrade is performed.

The actual upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate is the easy (as a,b,c) part. All you have to do is to follow a couple of instructions printed on the other side of the serial number card and key in the said number. You will unlock the Bitlocker and multiple languages features this way.
The latter requires an additional optional download for your choice of extra language packs from MS Windows Update.
Need to spell "gravlaks" or "krabbelag" in Norwegian? Well, now you know what's been missing from your current OS installation. ;)

However, getting the XP mode upgrade feature requires one to be more IT savy. Firstly, your processor must support Intel virtualization technology. You must also enable this in your BIOS. Next, you have to download 3 other files (of which 1 was and still is 500mb!!! in size) from MS Windows Update website. Getting the XP mode to work after you've done all the above requires one to Google for even more detailed instructions. So, be prepared to jump through a couple of hoops before you can actually run your older (non Win 7) programs under XP mode.

HDD Considerations:
Keying in the upgrade key will require an additional 10 GB of space as extra features are unlocked.
Installing the XP mode requires an additional 1 GB of HD space.
Actually using the XP mode may require up to an additional 15GB space.
So if you cannot spare an extra 26GB of space on your HDD, you might have to reconsider purchasing this upgrade.

Cost Savings:
Amazon sells this for US$10 less than that at MS' online store. With super saver shipping thrown in, what are you waiting for?

After reading all the above details, I'm sure that you can now appreciate why I've chosen the "(ALMOST) As Easy as A, B, C" title for the name of my review. :)

P.S. Norwegian "gravlaks" or "krabbelag" are not included. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure your computer has a TPM chip, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade (Home Premium to Ultimate) [Online Code] (Software Download)
In order to use bitlocker, your computer must have a TPM chip in it. If not, you can turn bitlocker on but have to use a USB drive to hold the key file every time you boot it up. An acceptable solution for a desktop, but for a laptop a bit of an inconvenience having a USB drive sticking out of it, plus it takes up a USB port. My 2 month old Dell XPS laptop had the option of having Win 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate installed, so I assumed I could upgrade afterwards. Turns out they must only put that chip into models shipping with Ultimate already. So double check that if bitlocker is important to you.

Other than this issue, the update process was quick and painless. It seemed to take less time than installing a regular software program since it didn't have to load off the CD and do a lot of registry changing.

Ultimate itself with the XP mode seems a good upgrade for me. A few hardware items and some software just doesn't work with Win 7. Plus I needed encryption for some files. While I use some third party encryption, it's just easier for some files if the OS does it without having to log into another software. Some of the other differences between Ultimate and Professional aren't relevant to me, so Professional was probably a better match.

3/28/11 Additional note: Found a website that says the TPM chip not only handles the encryption key, it actually does the encrypting and decrypting activity so that the CPU does not have to. When using a USB drive for the key, the CPU does the encrypting/decrypting which reduces performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to Ultimate a snap, March 29, 2011
I upgraded a Dell machine that was pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium using the code that Amazon provided electronically, and the upgrade completed without any issues, in a reasonable amount of time. Ultimate features (like encryption, backup to a remote share, etc...) are all available. Registration process with Microsoft also went without a hitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Upgrade for Laptop users., March 7, 2010
Scott Beamer (Vancouver, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
Most laptops (including the one I bought at the same time) seem to come with Windows 7 Home Premium (even those aimed at business users).

Windows 7 Ultimate has the Bitlocker feature which encrypts your hard drive. It's a very worthwhile feature on a laptop.

The difference in price between the upgrade to Ultimate vs the lower priced Professional made this an easy decision.

Too bad the prices aren't this close in the regular upgrade editions.

The anytime upgrade feature is quick and dirty. It involves entering the product key and a couple of reboots. It took me about 10 minutes to complete. The bits are already in your OS.

You can actually do this all from within Windows (including the purchase of the Key from Microsoft), but you will save money buying it here instead.

The packaging for this is overkill as it just contains a card with your product key printed on it (I am keeping the packaging though since it will lessen the likelihood of my misplacing the product key). The steps are the same, sans purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome, both the Ultimate and the Anytime Upgrade, February 9, 2011
I finally did my first Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade last week, from Home Premium to Ultimate. I wanted to get Ultimate for two reasons: one, XP Mode (really, just so I could run a few "experimental" programs within the virtual PC, to avoid screwing up my real PC), and two, BitLocker, which encrypts the entire hard drive (or hard drives) with industry-standard strong encryption in a transparent-to-user manner (I keep sensitive financial data on my Toshiba laptop).

The upgrade was incredibly painless. I got the upgrade key and just entered it into the upgrade dialog box. Since I had just installed all recent important updates, the upgrade took less than 10 minutes on my one-year-old Toshiba laptop, with a quad-core i7 processor, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive at 5400 RPM. Earlier today I upgraded another Toshiba laptop (this one with dual-core AMD) which I hadn't used in 2 months, so the Anytime Upgrade had to download all the updates, but the whole thing took less than 30 minutes.

BTW, XP mode is awesome. It's super-fast and very robust. I only allocate 512MB to XP mode and everything runs great inside the virtual machine. (My laptops both have hardware virtualization support.) I can imagine running IE inside XP mode, so I wouldn't need any anti-malware services running in the background, as great as Microsoft Security Essentials is. The fewer background services, the better.

BitLocker works as expected, and I can now sleep better knowing my financial data cannot be stolen (unless the thief also manages to steal the USB drive with the passkey backup). It feels faster than Home Premium, but this could be purely psychological. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade Ultimate edition, January 7, 2010
So far the OS is great. You save money when purchasing the upgrade but there is no disk. After you purchase the upgrade you must download it and then install it. Just remember to make a recovery disk after you upgrade your version of your OS and you'll be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY + code registered successfully overseas, July 5, 2011
buybot181 (Western Hemisphere) - See all my reviews
The online code purchase process is not thoroughly explained. Amazon Waits for you to get to the final "Purchase" page before letting you know how you will receive your product code. After confirming and acceptance of the transaction, you are given the multi-character code along with options to "print", "e-mail", or "send as gift"(amazon would love to add your friends email to their databases').

The code was registered successfully on a laptop while overseas. More often than not, you'd be hard pressed to find personal computers sold in non-English speaking countries with an English language OS.

To be clear - The code was purchased on Amazon while within the United States. -> Upgraded on a machine while traveling overseas.

I was unsure if Amazon Digital Services purchases are restricted to being transacted while in the United States. I was also unsure of Microsoft's policy of these code upgrades. Windows needs online server access to register and validate the upgrade. A few months ago, I had contacted Amazon customer service about the availability of Amazon Digital Services while being located in foreign countries. They responded by telling me that such services are only available to customers with a U.S. residence. They weren't much help - logic tells me that it should transact. I couldn't get a straight answer.

Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade has been running very stable on my laptop. It's been over a week of heavy usage - no issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, March 29, 2011
I wanted to upgrade to professional for the XP mode and the ability to do a backup over the network. I was looking around for prices over the past few days and the cheapest I found professional was 76.00 and when I was browsing through Amazon, I found the Anytime Upgrade Online code was only 38.00, so I purchased. Ultimate has more than what I was looking for, but at that price who can resist purchasing. Because it was already installed on my computer, the install took only 5 minutes, all I was purchasing was the code. To use it in XP mode you have to go to Microsoft and download some files then set it up, this took no time at all. I haven't set up the backup yet that is my next project. Overall I am very happy with my purchase.
UPDATE: Amazon's price went back up to 122.80 on March 30, 2011.

3.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade was not as easy as it indicated in the product, March 6, 2012

-Restore the OS using a recovery DVD or recovery partition (Do not change location information in the initial setup of the system).
-Run Windows Update and Install all Important updates ( the system will restart several times automatically).
-Reboot the system.
-Run Windows Anytime Upgrade with the code provided by amazon.
-Wait until a message of "try again" shows to you, retype the same code will pop up a en error message telling to you that the key is not valid for that OS version.
-Reboot the system ( Windows will start to update the rest of components before restart, the screen now have to show Windows Ultimate instead of Home Premium ).
-Activate the product online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, October 6, 2011
The online code purchase for the Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate is an outstanding purchase and highly recommended for anyone that is using Home Premium. It unlocks many important functions in the operating system including remote desktop, which allows you to safely control the computer from another computer. I recommend the code because a disc isn't needed you just enter the code and everything gets done automatically by Windows 7 for you after a quick verification and a restart.
Ease of use: Novice (anyone can do it)
Convenience: Excellent
Value: Outstanding
Rating: 9/10 - the only reason that it doesn't get a perfect 10 is that the additional features aren't needed for everyone.