2,108 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than buying the non-upgrade version.
Published 16 months ago by AnthrSolidSnake

3.0 out of 5 stars Will the GUI Stick With You?
Published 24 months ago by Winter

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than buying the non-upgrade version., June 23, 2013
I've had my issues with Windows 8 when it first came out, but to be honest, I've gotten over a lot of them. I don't like the fact that the typical start menu has been taken away, and I'm not a fan of the tile menu, but overall I've actually noticed I have to go through far less clicking to get to what I want. Once you figure out exactly how to use Windows 8, you'll be flying through all the menus at almost half the time you would on Windows 7 or XP.

As long as you can read, you'll notice that this is an upgrade, not a bootable install. In order to install Windows 8 with this upgrade, you must at least have Windows Xp, Vista, or 7. It doesn't matter if it is 32-bit or 64-bit (unless you want 64-bit and you currently have 32-bit, but I'll get to that in a moment.)

Upgrading is easy. Just have any of Windows XP-7 preinstalled on your PC, insert the disc, and the install goes from there. This upgrade comes with both a Windows 8 32-bit disc, and a Windows 8 64-bit disc. This DOES matter. If you currently have Windows XP 32-bit installed for example, you can only install the Windows 8 32-bit. But if you have Windows XP 64-bit, you can install either of the two (64-bit allows for better performance and unlocks the ability to install more than 4GB of RAM). It's easy, and you don't need to be too technically savvy.

Now I did have an odd thing happen when installing. My mind slipped, and I didn't check if I had 32-bit or 64-bit before hand. I wanted Windows 8 64-bit installed, but I had Windows XP 32-bit, so I couldn't. Now, this is an UPGRADE version of Windows 8, and isn't supposed to be able to install without a pre-existing version of Windows being installed. Apparantly, I got around this somehow. I wanted 64-bit, but had 32-bit, so I installed Windows 8 32-bit. After, I rebooted my PC, placed the Windows 8 64-bit install disc instead, and then booted from the disc, and it let me reformat the partition in my hard drive, and install Windows 8 64-bit from scratch. I don't know if this was a glitch or a fluke, but from what I know, Windows Upgrade discs aren't supposed to allow you to install from scratch. If you want to spend a little less on Windows 8, but only have a 32-bit on your current system, then you can try and take your chances on installing the 64-bit version anyway with my method above, but I do not suggest, and cannot guarantee it will work the same way.

Overall however, I'm happy with this product (aside that it took forever to deliver since it apparently ships from Hong Kong.) Windows 7 still has slightly better gaming performance, but Windows 8 certainly does a nice job.

EDIT: After spending a bit more time with the OS, I like it. A lot in fact. Ignore people saying "You can't do things on 8 that you can do on 7." That's an outright lie. What DID change however, is the way you can do these things. Just google it and you'll be fine. It does take some new knowledge.

Another thing I've seen, is that it is completely possible to load Windows 8 without any previous operating system. Just boot from the disc. I did this on another computer I built with this exact upgrade, and it installed no problem. It's pretty much just Windows 8.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will the GUI Stick With You?, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
BEFORE YOU UPGRADE: stop by the Microsoft website and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant (link in the comments). This program will comb through your system and offer you detailed analysis of what will and won't upgrade. It offers links to articles that explain in detail what you may need to do, and it can save you a lot of headaches. For example, I have a laptop with no USB drivers--yet! I now have a link to the manufacturer's website that I've bookmarked and when drivers become available I'll upgrade that machine too.

Windows 7 has been a well-received OS, so the case for upgrading to Windows 8 has been difficult for Microsoft to make. While the look and feel of Windows 8 is strikingly different, for the most part it boils down to one huge change: the Start Menu that we have had since Windows 95 is no longer a menu. Icons are now displayed as tiles of varying widths in a full-screen splash. Some of this makes sense in that some of today's programs are more like the Windows Desktop Gadgets we've seen in Vista and 7: rather than needing to be launched, they idly stream information to you, and need a bit more room to be easy to read than the older Start Menu could have allowed for. If you've used Windows Media Center, Office 2010, or an XBox 360, you've already been interacting with similar interfaces. This sort of UI has been slowly making its way into Microsoft's products for a while now.

UPDATE: Amazon customer Robert Haines says that there is a program called "Classic UI" that would restore the old look, so if you're dead-set on new code that skips the new UI, you might want to try that. There is also a program called "Pokki Menu" that will let you make your own customizations and last, Stardock makes a (paid) program called "Start8" that will also roll back the Start screen.

The Windows 8 desktop looks exactly like it did in Windows 7 and Vista, except there's no Start Button: you're expected to press the Windows key or move your mouse to the bottom corner of the screen to launch the tile dashboard. The desktop has the tray of running programs you're used to in earlier versions, shows you wallpaper, and offers access to the Windows Explorer for looking through the files on your hard drive. All programs can be launched directly off the tile screen, and while Windows 8 apps always run in full-screen, older programs run from within the Desktop and can be resized. We have a version of Internet Explorer accessible from the desktop that looks just like IE 9 did in Windows 7, then we have a version of Internet Explorer in the tile screen that looks entirely different. Some parts of the Control Panel have the tile look and feel and the options cascade left-to-right like the Home screen in any MS Office 2010 or 2013 product. Other parts of the Control Panel look exactly like they did in Windows 7 and before. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good pattern for this yet: you may flip from one side to the other in order to do something like troubleshoot a network problem.

Performance-wise, Windows had been slowly moving away from always-running programs that drain performance to background services that would launch programs as needed...but this too started to get unwieldy. Microsoft have stripped several services out of Windows 8 which by default makes the OS more efficient than 7. Any machine that could run 7 can also run 8. Programs that used to run, shut down, then have to be fully re-launched to run again are instead put in a standby mode so they can launch faster when called again. The Windows Vista and 7 "Aero effects" that gave your windows a glassy sheen and rounded corners used graphics and CPU to run, so they've been stripped out of the tile UI in favor of simple color schemes and blocky edges (though you can still see a subdued glassy effect on the Desktop). Interaction with Windows in this new look and feel is easier if you have a touchscreen or you're using a tablet, and if you're a Windows Phone user the territory is already pretty familiar. The downside for mouse users is that you occasionally spend time hunting along the edges of the screen for scrollbars and dragging screens around to be able to interact with everything. My chief complaint with Windows 8 hasn't been with the Tile layout so much as the fact that the scroll bars are too skinny.

For some features, time will tell. I've found the Tile UI version of the browser to be less compatible and more cranky with websites, but I expect that to change given time. I like the fact that security/antivirus are rolled into the OS without me having to take care of them or be interrupted with update notifications. The OS runs Windows Updates on a schedule that's far less aggressive than previous versions and won't nag you about rebooting when it needs to. I've been told that the performance for gaming is supposed to be greater simply by virtue of a cleaner codebase, but I haven't seen anything substantially different on the PC apart from faster boot-up and shut-down times (I did benchmark my machine with 3DMark11 and, after some adjusting, noticed a higher score). The basic applications like Weather, Photos, Stocks, Mail, and more are very user-friendly, but solely within the context of the new look & feel: expect little familar ground and a lot of new territory, and the assumption that you should be using a touchscreen. If you have a Windows Live account and/or SkyDrive, these can integrate fully into the OS: so much so that you would sign in to the computer with your Windows Live/Hotmail account and everything you do would be synced to Microsoft's cloud if your account has SkyDrive.

Windows 8 requires you to purchase a license for Windows Media Center separately; you still have Windows Media Player, but the Center is a separate application now, available for sale in the Microsoft Store.

UPDATE, 11/2013: Microsoft has now released Windows 8.1, an update to the OS that mostly attempts to make the user experience better. If you purchase this copy of Windows 8, you will be offered the ability to update it to 8.1 at no additional cost. The upgrade is pushed through the Windows Store that is part of Windows 8. Personally, I've done clean installs of 8.1 from the MSDN media and done an in-place upgrade via the store, on both my desktop and laptop, and have not had good experiences. I don't personally recommend the update at this time for that reason. Sooo....if you go the Windows 8.1 route, there is then a Windows 8.1 "Update for Windows 8.1" that you should probably pull down that puts one more round of fixes into the OS. Reviews so far have been positive--minor adjustments like putting the power button where it's easy to find and making interacting with the Tile UI have been needed...but surprisingly it also lowered the OS' system requirements to where it can run on as little as 1GB of RAM.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for productivity or business, the purpose of this product is to forcibly train you to use a Windows phone, February 24, 2014
Lee Cascio (Silver Spring, Md USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
This is the worst OS Microsoft has ever produced by a long shot. It is unbelievable that they think it is ok for this to be rolled out into a business where it would certainly kill productivity for a week or more.

So much that was second nature is gone:
1) Right-click? doesn't do anything anymore.

2) File, edit, ... menu? non existent, it's up to you to figure out the magical keystrokes to do all that stuff now

3) Little X in the upper corner to click and close the app? no such ease, you are expected figure out the puzzle of how to close apps on your own with absolutely no context or conveyance from the OS to guide you

4) Multitasking and multiple windows open at once? That's history, Microsoft believes you are better off only able to see one full screen app at a time no matter how large or how many monitors you have

5) Start menu where it at most 3 mouse-clicks to launch any app on your computer? Gone. Now you have to scroll through a messy clutter of disorganized tiles to find what you want. And it if it isn't there, then you have to memorize specific search terms to type into the magical "charms bar" and perform a search (brings back memories of memorizing DOS commands!)

6) Don't have a touch screen? Tough, your OS is optimized for a touch screen experience now.

The point of this product has nothing to do with productivity or efficiency. The point of this product is to forcibly train us all to be happy Windows phone users. MS threw productivity under the bus in a feeble attempt to sell more gadgets.

Unless you really like the "Metro" concept and have a week or two on your hands to learn a new OS from the ground up, avoid this like the plague.

1.0 out of 5 stars My desktop is not a tablet, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
People used to buy windows when they didn't want any fuss or frill. I enjoyed windows 7 for many reasons and every single one of those things is gone. Microsoft has entirely misjudged its demographic. Windows 8 is inferior to windows 7 in every single task that a regular windows user would likely preform. I highly value performance in the products I buy, and windows 8 makes sure to use this well purchased power for pretty, wasteful, and useless things. This OS constantly saps power from your system and every task is a battle. The power button is located in settings. The start menu is now a game of memory with absolutely no organization. Apps are something that should never apply to a PC. People used to buy windows because it wasn't mac. What in God's name made them think that being more like another company would get them customers when people praise the previous system for its simplicity and functionality. Buying windows 8 is a mistake. Stay away. Waste of time, money, patients, and system performance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, but No Thanks, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
I've owned nearly every version of Windows since its first release (except Vista and Millennium Edition) and it is my heartfelt opinion that Windows 8 just plain sucks. I bought a new laptop for my daughter last summer for college. My original plan was to buy one with Windows 7, but the choices available were not what I wanted and I gave in and bought an excellent ASUS machine with Windows 8. Big mistake.

It isn't that nobody gave the OS a chance. My daughter used it as best she could and gave up. I tried and found there to be absolutely no logic as to how the user interface was put together and felt it was absurd to relearn an OS that was substantially inferior to its predecessor. Microsoft has created a single user experience that is painful if you use your computer for business or professional tasks. It is instead geared toward social media and entertainment.

After disappointing customer service calls to ASUS, I ended up buying a new hard disk and a fresh copy of Windows, 7 and reinstalled Windows 7 on the new drive. (I kept the original drive with Windows 8 on it in case I need warranty work on the laptop. I you change OS you void your warranty. This way I can just put the original drive back in if there is a problem.) With my daughter's student discount I spent around $150 more to make the conversion and it was the best thing I ever did.

Bottom line is that if you are new to computers, or use yours as a media machine you will probably be happy with Windows 8 (or 8.1). But, if you use your computer for business or school where productivity is the key to success, or if you have years of experience using a computer that you don't want to throw down the toilet, you will probably be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy upgrade process, Ubuntu dual-boot friendly, fairly steep interface learning curve..., October 28, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
This review separates the Windows 8 upgrade/installation experience from the user interface experience. While I consider myself a power user of Windows 7, this didn't come only in its use since upgrading to that OS three years ago . Any proficiency I enjoyed as a Windows 7 user evolved from much longer experience acquired during the evolution of its predecessors (going back to Windows 95). Windows 8 offers a much different user interface (at least to "start" with...pun intended) that relies less on on your prior expertise with earlier Windows operating systems. Much of it will be familiar to users of earlier Windows versions, but it has enough differences to remind you frequently that this is *not* the Windows OS you've become --for better or worse-- familiar with. Because of this, I'm going easy on assessing it until I've had a more time using it for my normal productivity tasks (but so far, I'm lukewarm on the interface).

Since this is an *upgrade* version of Windows 8, this review emphasizes the *upgrade* process, which is not the same as a review focused on the overall user experience. So far, I'm neutral on the interface changes. Lets just say I won't be in a hurry to upgrade all of my existing Windows 7 machines to Windows 8.

Bottom line: This was by far the easiest, most intuitive Windows upgrade I've performed. This is compared with many Windows upgrades and fresh installs going back to 98, ME, Vista and 7. It took less than an hour and successfully retained my existing applications and data files.

What's in the box?
(1) 32-bit installation DVD
(2) 64-bit installation DVD
(3) a product key card
(4) a single page getting started guide

Windows 8 system requirements are essentially the same as Windows 7 (which were generally LESS demanding than Vista and XP requirements). I installed Windows 8 over Windows 7 on a 5-year old Dell XPS 420 with a 32-bit 3 GHZ Intel Core2 Duo processor, 4 GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 video processor. Total upgrade time took less than an hour.

The installation process went as follows after inserting the installation DVD:
(1) "Preparing": took about 3 minutes to check for and download updates online.

(2) Windows 8 offered to either preserve your existing applications data files (and some settings) or do a fresh install. I chose to retain my applications and data. In either case, you'll want save --and have access to-- backup copies of your data files and application media/files BEFORE you go through the upgrade and installation.

(3) The install processes ran on my machine for about 28 minutes, then went through a series of restarts. During this time a "percentage complete" message ran on the monitor.

(4) After a final, farewell appearance of a Windows 7 desktop and another restart, Windows 8 went into a "getting ready" process. At this point it presented options for:
-personalization
-wireless network connections
-express or custom setup
-some privacy-related settings and registration options with Microsoft (these defaulted to not sharing or not required...which is good!)

(5) It then proceeded to a "finalizing" process. At this point is when the upgrade process really shined: it recognized an existing Linux/Ubuntu 12.04 partition on my hard drive and the existing Windows/Ubuntu dual-boot options. It not only preserved Ubuntu functionality, but offered options for selecting your default OS and delay options for the boot loader display.

After finalizing and restarting, Windows 8 recognized all my existing peripherals. All of my existing data and applications were available with no problem. Boot time is about 45 seconds and shutdown time is about 21 seconds.

Comments on the interface experience:
I understand some of the initial hostility this OS has received. While the familiar desktop metaphor lives on (and once you are there, the differences between this and previous Windows user experiences are minimal), before you get there, you have to learn to live with a separate "Start" page. Out of the box this page heavily populated with many online services that Microsoft would clearly be interested in driving your attention (and your wallet!) to. The good news is these are easily removable.

Your keyboard's Windows key will become a powerful tool, as it allows rapid switching between the desktop and start screens. If you have a Windows 8 compatible touchpad (like the Logitech T650), then its "gestures" also permit rapid switching.

At this point, I consider myself still learning the new interface. Some features seem less than intuitive (like how to shut down, for example), but look how we've grown accustomed to the "Start" button being the place to go to stop working!

As I write this, I'm learning to master both the new interface and use of a touchpad instead of a mouse. While I'm not yet working as intuitively as I was with Windows 7, the learning curve hasn't been a deal breaker. The start screen seems mostly an invitation to hook users into use of applications tied to a registered Microsoft account, and the cynical (and privacy-minded) part of me doesn't see great value added in this. It also a place to display your frequently used applications, files, folders and system controls for rapid access.

Bottom line: EASY upgrade process, Ubuntu-friendly and a little learning curve. We've certainly had worse new operating systems from Microsoft in the past...

Note: I've since performed a second install on a netbook that did not have sufficient video resolution to display Windows 8 tiled apps that run on its Start screen. Otherwise, this upgrade path was similarly problem free, and similarly retained existing applications and data present under Windows 7.

1.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft's half-baked advertisement for a tablet and a phone no one wants, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
I had my first contact with Windows 8 from a new HP computer I purchased for my parents from amazon, and I cannot fathom the reasons for all the steps back Windows 8 represents. Yes, it does seem to boot/resume faster, especially on computers with EFI, and yes, it has a few cool new features like bandwidth usage tracking/limiting, but other than that, it's just a hot mess with a neutered desktop mode and a Modern/Metro advertisement, I mean mode, that interact with each other in unpredictable ways.

This operating system is not about making computers easier or better to use. Microsoft is very obviously trying to use the only market they still lead in (desktop software) to sell something they are, at best, distant followers in (smartphones and tablets) so they just slapped a half-baked tablet/phone interface on their desktop OS. It's fine if your marketing strategy is just to sell more tablets and phones, but it makes for a lousy user experience strategy. Metro is utterly pointless on desktop PCs. It's anti-productive, actively hostile to multi-monitor users and multitasking, and reminiscent of toy computer interfaces. Inexplicably, several Metro apps actually include built-in advertising. This makes the experience just seem very cheap. The desktop mode is neutered (Classic Shell to the rescue!) and inexplicably Aero/Aero Glass has been completely removed in favor of the ugliest, blockiest, flattest Windows interface since 3.1. Metro's penchant for full-screen everything is more reminiscent of Windows 1.0, where all of the apps took up the entire screen.

This is the first version of Windows where I truly feel that the competitors' interfaces (Mac OS X, Linux) are actually better. At least those interfaces have not thrown out the last 25+ years of desktop UI evolution to sell some phones and some tablets.

I can safely predict there will be little business uptake of this version of Windows. It offers zero productivity improvements. My workplace uses multi-monitor apps pervasively. I will actively work to prevent Windows 8 adoption until Microsoft decides they want to make productivity-centered operating systems again and not sell me a phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars An Xbox that can run TurboTax (maybe), February 10, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
Amazon has made an understandable error in listing Windows 8 under "Software". Its correct listing should be under "Toys".

Contrary to what Microsoft would have you believe, Windows 8 is not an operating system; it's an entertainment platform that turns your hard-working computer into an Xbox that can run TurboTax (maybe). It's sloppily-organized, counter-intuitive, stuffed with brainless gadgets and specifically designed to insult your intelligence at every click of your mouse.

And that's not just my opinion only. Dr. Philip Greenspun is well-known Internet entrepreneur, high-tech critic and professor at MIT, and he thinks Windows 8 sucks, too. I can't link directly to his site from here, but searching with a few keywords will bring up the page pronto. (It's probably the single most famous review of Windows 8 on the Web.)

Dr. Greenspun calls Windows 8 "A Christmas gift for someone you hate". I like that.

Microsoft's priorities when developing its new "flagship operating system" (their term) are immediately evident by the loving care that they lavished on their new Configurable Remote Applications, affectionately called CRApps by experienced Windows 8 users. The "Remote" appellation refers to the playful habit CRApps have of starting up on their own without having been clicked. Try to pull a chart from your documents folder and instead, a CRApp starts a slide show of your niece's graduation. Try to activate your Windows 8 Pro Pack and a CRApp pops up displaying the weather in Ulan Bator.

You won't be able to find your computer's Admin Tools folder to save your immortal soul, but you WILL be able to find out what your favorite actress wore to her last court appearance without even clicking your mouse; just wave your cursor over the appropriate CRApp. You pay your hard-earned money in hopes of getting an efficient and easy-to-use operating system, and instead you get CRApped on. (A one-sentence review of Windows 8.)

Is there any hope for the poor working stiff who's stuck lugging around this bucket of digital sewage?

Well, basically... no.

Microsoft, showing that rare combination of serene arrogance and clueless incompetence usually reserved for Congress, has decreed that Windows 8 is the Future of Personal Computing, and everyone who doesn't like it can take their business elsewhere. Except that there ISN'T anywhere else to take it. The foul Dark Lord of Redmond and his squealing Orc minions know it, and they intend to keep it that way.

If you're already running Windows 7, you'll want to regard Windows 8 in the same way that a microbiologist regards Ebola virus. Don't even dual-boot the thing unless you can partition it off in the digital equivalent of a lead-lined coffin. Microsoft has announced that it will fully support Windows 7 until 2020, by which time:

1. A frantically desperate Microsoft will have reissued Windows XP, or (even better)...
2. An industry-standard open-source OS will have been developed that will drive Microsoft into well-deserved extinction, or...
3. Western Civilization will have collapsed, reducing us to using clay tablets and sharpened sticks, which still beats running Windows 8.

So if you're currently running Windows 7, just sit tight.

On the other hand, if you've already made the mistake of "upgrading" to Windows 8, well... you're essentially screwed. Be prepared to see your productivity fall through the floor. You can't re-install your old operating system because Microsoft has made it nearly impossible for you to dual-boot or revert to Windows 7 due to a new "feature" called "Secure Boot". (Like so many other terms, "feature" and "upgrade" should always be bracketed in quotation marks when applied to Microsoft products.)

Microsoft claims that "Secure Boot" is a "security" component intended to prevent malware from taking over your computer. In reality, it's a monopoly-assurance function that prevents you from dual-booting competing operating systems like Linux or Ubuntu (or even Microsoft's OWN legacy operating systems, which is pretty damn pathetic).

Just WHAT will it take before the Justice Department initiates antitrust proceedings against these b*st*rds?!?

If you've just bought a new computer, you're doubly screwed, because most new computers have Windows 8 Standard Edition pre-installed. This means that in addition to having no option of re-installing Windows 7, you're also stuck with the countless asinine obstacles that Windows 8 places in the way of getting your work done, like the spectacularly useless "Lock" screen, the cheesy "Start" screen, the snippy little text boxes that carp at your audacity in daring to rename an icon, and to top it all off, a near-terminal case of the CRApps.

That last statement needs modification: you're stuck with all this garbage UNLESS you pay Microsoft another seventy bucks in ransom money for an "upgrade" to Windows 8 Professional in return for the ability to turn these pestilential annoyances OFF.

The buck-naked insolence of those bottom-feeding coelenterates in Redmond is nothing short of breathtaking.

What other "features" do you get with Windows 8? You get Microsoft's infamous, weaselly, mealy-mouthed, cognitively-impaired "support" services, that's what. Anyone who has ever dealt with Microsoft "Support" will immediately recognize this episode:

Bought a new computer last week that had Windows 8 Standard pre-installed, and found that gpedit.msc wouldn't open from the command prompt. A web search revealed that I needed Windows 8 Professional in order to have gpedit.msc privileges.

Okay, fair enough; gpedit is usually an administrator-level command. So I forked over seventy bucks and installed the "upgrade".

Still couldn't open gpedit.

This time I couldn't find a solution on the Web, and, feeling a deepening dread with every keystroke, dialed Microsoft. They said to call the computer manufacturer. (Sound familiar?) Called the manufacturer. They said no, this was definitely an OS problem and that I needed to call Microsoft. Called Microsoft again; they said that I needed to call the retailer who sold me the "upgrade".

CALL THE RETAILER?

"Wait a minute. You're saying that Microsoft expects STAPLES to be responsible for supporting MICROSOFT'S OWN OPERATING SYSTEMS?!?"

I summoned up some colorful language that I haven't used since Army basic training, slammed down the receiver, and immediately started writing this review.

May the gods strike every employee at Microsoft with chronic colitis.

And I STILL can't open gpedit.msc. B*st*rds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Downgrade in every way possible for Desktops, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
If you have a desktop you will find nothing but bad things here. The start screen serves as an extra login screen for you to get to the desktop, virtually no functionality and when you do need it its just huge and obnoxious in how difficult it is to find something. Theyve even made getting to it an annoyance, there is no more button, you have to move the mouse to the corner, wait for a delayed popup and then you can click to open it, sometimes exiting a full screen application and going to the corner too quickly causes the popup not to trigger which means you wait for a delay that never shows up, so you move your mouse out and then back to wait again for the delayed popup so you can finally open the start menu. Its just ridiculous.

Use a mouse? Get used to keyboard shortcuts. Windows 8 is so poorly designed that using a mouse by itself is a nightmare, things that were previously very simple using only a mouse are now complicated without learning all the keyboard shortcuts. The days of sitting back and just clicking around are over, now you have to be hunched over your keyboard.

It is indeed a tablet OS with a few desktop features literally slapped on with no thought. Do not assume that this is primarily a desktop OS with some touchscreen features thrown in, the desktop features were thrown in with such abandon that it is basically some ghetto desktop emulation mode. The fact that I even have to call them "desktop FEATURES" instead of the desktop being a core functionality of the OS points to how horrible this is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Detestable version. Your patience will be tested again and again and again, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE the new windows 8. It's a complete monopoly by Microsoft and just about every feature requires logging in with your Microsoft Account. And if you don't have one, then guess what...you're forced to create one.
Also, the start menu is gone and is replaced by a new version which is highly confusing and forces you to relearn everything you've ever been familiar with. I MISS my old laptop...but all the new laptops now come with the windows 8 software by microsoft. Change is good...but the new windows 8 is a mishmash of a software that was already top notch. Why they would do this to users is beyond me. Go figure.

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version]
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] by Microsoft Software (Windows 8)
$199.99 $103.00