4.0 out of 5 stars A Keyboard which Does Its Job Well
I like how this keyboard works - a cheap keyboard which allows users to type on without frustration.

Published on January 12, 2012 by Smoreschoco

Published 5 months ago by Daniel Kraft

4.0 out of 5 stars A Keyboard which Does Its Job Well, January 12, 2012

I think the keys are a bit softer than other cheap keyboards, including full-sized keyboards come with manufacturer PCs. That gives a possible faster typing speed, and reduce level of fatigue after typing for hours. The keyboard looks normal, which is simply fabulous. Nowadays keyboard makers always introduce funky but useless shapes of keyboards and layouts, which is terrible. Indicator lights of Caps/Number Pad/Scroll locks are above the number pad, which is a normal location. These lights are in amber, and have a reasonable light intensity. For those who want a keyboard that is cheap, usable, and doesn't look weird, Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 is the one.

Downsides of this keyboard? Not many. First, there aren't any drain holes for spills. However, this keyboards only cost about ten bucks. If accident happens, pull out key caps and clean it, or directly buy a new one. Second, there is a utterly ugly keyboard saying "Health Warning" label attached to the USB cable on the keyboard side. Unfortunately, I cannot remove that label due to warranty (not confirmed with Microsoft - those who wants to remove the health warning label, please check with Microsoft first). That's all for the downsides.

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoyingly goes to sleep constantly in the name of being green!, June 25, 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 for Business - Black (Personal Computers)
I bought this keyboard to replace the "stock" one that came with my new computer - I didn't like the "new" key configuration on the Delete, Home, End, etc. This keyboard has some sort of power saving feature which it shuts off after a few seconds - you can see this cause the "Num lock, Caps lock, etc" lights turn off like it is going to sleep. I use this keyboard for work - and as a Designer using AutoCAD - you are using both the mouse and the keyboard.....and there can be seconds sometimes minutes between keystrokes. That being said, when I go to type a key command in - it "misses" the first letter/command in my keystroke cause that initial "hit" wakes up the keyboard. So, more times than not - I am having to retype my commands due to this stupid keyboard shutting off to save 1/millionth of a watt of energy. For me personally, this keyboard is going to find a landfill soon - which in turn means all the wonderful power I'm saving by this dumb thing auto-powering down will be lost and then some as I add to a landfill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, January 2, 2012
I was looking for a simple white computer keyboard and this is PERFECT! I love it! Most computers now come with black ones, and when it gets dark in the evening I couldn't see mine! Even though I am a competent typer I still like to be able to see the board at times. Shipping and postage was reasonable so I am a happy happy typer!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too comfy, December 29, 2011
Gypsy (Roanoke,VA) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a replacement for me Dell keyboard. It looks good and really is the same design as the Dell, however its not comfortable for my hands at all. Not really sure what the issue is. I do know that its too low to the table even with the little flip things up, and my fingers seem to be reaching differently. I have arthritis in both hands and by the time I end my work day, my hands are very tired. This did not happen with the Dell keyboard. I imagine it would be fine for people without hand problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 for Business - Black, October 23, 2013
Jono (Maui, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
I type a lot. This is a no frills, standard keyboard that works well for typing with all keys just where your fingers expect them to be.

My old standard keyboard was noisy and the letters had worn off the keys. For not much more than 10 bucks this keyboard works great. The keys seem easy to press, having a slight texture on the surface and being indented just enough to result in fewer bad keystrokes when typing in a hurry. Typing is easy with all the keys just where my fingers expected them to be. No need to get used to a different keyboard layout. Note: it has full sized; Enter, Shift and Backspace keys.

The keys and keyboard are not the quietest. Maybe I am a 'heavy typer'. But the rubber feet are not the best, so I use a folded cloth under the keyboard which quietens it down significantly on my desk.

Overall, this standard keyboard is a great value that is easy to use and has no unneeded extras, and comes with free shipping. What more could you want in a basic keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value keyboard, August 9, 2012
Having been using laptops since I was in grade school, I needed a keyboard for my first home-built PC. Since I don't have enough money to buy something nice like a mechanical keyboard, I decided to go the other direction and get the cheapest keyboard I could find, which happened to be this one.

First off, the keyboard felt very mushy to type on. Heck, when I got the keyboard, my very first thoughts when I tested it out were, "Wow, this is a really mushy keyboard." I've used a variety of keyboards, and I would say that while it's mushier than the Dell keyboards that come included with their pre-built PCs, it's nowhere near as bad as the white keyboards that Apple used to sell before they made their thin aluminum ones. However, after a week of using the keyboard, I got used to typing on it, and I didn't notice any discomfort while typing.

Aside from typing, I also did some gaming on it. Some of the games I played were Metro 2033, Left 4 Dead 2, and Blacklight: Retribution. Left 4 Dead 2 in particular requires a lot of finger gymnastics and multiple simultaneous key presses, especially when playing as a Hunter, and I didn't notice any incorrect or missing inputs while playing. It's a competent gaming keyboard.

All in all, the keyboard does its job well, and for the $9 I paid for it, I don't regret buying it. As your first keyboard or as a backup keyboard, you can't go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent keyboard, August 2, 2011
Nothing special, good for the price. Owned for a week or so and no problems yet. Key typing is pretty loud though, but not a problem for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceivingly broken, March 11, 2014
Maybe I just got a faulty keyboard, but holding down any button for longer 5 seconds or so will cause this keyboard to "die", making it completely useless for gaming. Also the lights on the keyboard (for numblock, tab, and scrollock) will turn off after a few seconds of inactivity. I don't know if it's a design feature (highly doubt it) but it's really annoying. The keys also feel terrible when typing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Keyboard, November 6, 2013
I bought this keyboard to replace the one that came with my HP computer. My old HP keyboard had a short in it and the sound would keep shutting off every time I would use the numeric keypad.

This is indeed a great keyboard. I like the nice crispness of the keys and able to see the letters in a dark location.

This keyboard does not have any volume or other multimedia buttons, but you don't have to have them. Since you can adjust your sound and other functions on the desktop with your mouse.

I do recommend this keyboard to those who want good old basic keyboard!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Keystroke Registration, January 23, 2013
Alright, one star on a keyboard, why? This keyboard will work fine for most typing, but issues come when there is a need to hold keys down for any duration. When the keys are depressed fully, that is not enough to guarantee that the keystroke is registered. There must be additional pressure on the key after it has been fully depressed for any signal to be sent to the computer. This additional pressure might not be noticed during normal typing when each key is pressed only once, as bringing your finger down fast on the key gives the extra pressure needed when it bottoms out to register, but when holding down any key for a short time if constant (and unexpectedly hard) pressure is not maintained the registration of the key being depressed will fluctuate. This shows itself if holding down shift for any period of time, or wasd while playing a game. I gave it a few hours of heavy use to see if it was merely something that could be gotten used to, but it is simply unreliable if you do any less than hold the keys down with enough pressure to make your fingertips hurt.