1,789 Reviews
 (1,176)

4.0 out of 5 stars Get this to replace your old laptop mouse.
Wow! I had a 3 year old Microsoft mouse that worked great, but the USB transceiver was a real pain mainly because of the length of the thing. I broke one of my USB ports when I accidentally banged into the thing one day and on a laptop one can ill afford to lose a USB connector right?

Anyway, the transceiver on this unit is tiny, it only sticks out maybe a 1/4...
Published on August 28, 2010 by Ghenghis

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but it's really a trollop - neither one worked
Pro's:
Nice size
Looks great
Nano receiver

Con's:
wheel button is clunky (it's hard to feel when it has been clicked or scrolled)
incredibly loud (sharp) left and right button clicking
battery life

Published on February 23, 2011 by croix22

4.0 out of 5 stars Get this to replace your old laptop mouse., August 28, 2010

Anyway, the transceiver on this unit is tiny, it only sticks out maybe a 1/4 of an inch so there's no probability of you damaging your machine by accident. And, it is extremely responsive, even more than the older design. The drivers loaded automatically in Windows 7 and I'm back in bidness. Both left and right buttons work as they should, and the "click" scroll is perfect. Battery life is extended too with an On/Off switch. Works practically on any surface, the laptop frame, the couch, your jeans! The transceiver does snap into the body of the mouse for travel, and the only minor complaint I have is that the mouse doesn't turn itself off when the transceiver is nested, you still have to manually flip the switch to Off. No big deal. And what the heck is Bluetrack? Basically its a broader optical beam than either laser or optical, works on more surfaces (but not glass), and there is ZERO lag, meaning its just as responsive if not more so than laser. Don't confuse this with Bluetooth, they are not related.

One word of advice, if you fail to turn off this mouse when not in use it tends to go through batteries like Vegas hookers through a Shriner's Convention..... always always flip the switch Off when your machine is idle. And it pays to use a Lithium battery (1) for extended life. Microsoft deserves a slap for claiming "up to 8 month" battery life (-1 Star) in the product info above. I'm getting about 6-8 weeks on a lithium battery under constant use so I'm pretty happy.

This 3500 appears to be Microsoft's most reliable mouse. In surveying other reviews I've found the 4000/5000/6000 models all appear to have a problem with the USB transceiver. I don't know if Microsoft has fixed that problem on those other designs, but you wont find that complaint for the 3500.

Update 7/12/2011: This mouse still works perfectly and is just as responsive as it was on Day 1. It doesn't "squeak", the mouse clicks are barely audible, but you may find that the rubber casing begins to peel away from the plastic body over time, this is easily remedied with a drop or two of Superglue. This doesn't affect comfort or performance of the mouse. And the scroll wheel is still 100% intact and works as it should, I did note problems with the wheel on the aforementioned 4000-6000 models.

Final Update 6/23/2012: Well, it lasted 2 years. Yesterday I started having a strange problem, any window I had open would skip and jump around erratically. I tried everything, ran all the scans, did 2 System Restores, then finally doing a search on my iPhone for what could be causing the problem, somebody suggested unplugging the mouse. BAM, that did the trick. Then I replaced the battery, reinstalled the Intellipoint drivers, but still when I plugged it back in, more and more pages were skipping.

So, I solved the problem by installing a 4 year old Logitech laser mouse...yep, that did the trick. I'm guessing I suffered the dreaded "fried transceiver" problem I've read about with the family of Microsoft mice, but I did get 2 full years out of the thing, not bad for a $20 travel mouse. Yeah, I'll buy another one, this Logitech is too big to haul around in my laptop case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!, May 19, 2010
H. Hunt (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 - Loch Ness Gray (Personal Computers)
This mouse replaced a retractable corded USB "travel" mouse. It was small and basic and worked quite well for years but finally died. I wanted a small cordless mouse to replace it so I surfed Amazon and found this one. The Logitech's were nice but I like that the USB receiver dongle is small. Most others are as big as a flash drive increasing the chances of it getting broken off.

So far it does seem to work well on a variety of surfaces. It works on my laptop table of course but I've also used it on the fabric chair arm and it worked just fine.

Two other nice features are the off switch and the dongle fits in the bottom of the mouse. All in one package for ease in travel. The mouse is also just the right size, not too big or small and reasonably comfortable. After a month or so I'm quite happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BlueTrack with a click!, April 11, 2010
This is the only Microsoft mouse with BlueTrack and a click motion wheel. The mouse is very responsive and has a good feel. Battery life should be good as well.

I had stopped purchasing Microsoft mice because all the new mice had smooth scrolling wheels. The wheel design is a weakness on Microsoft mice. Logitech has a much better wheel design both smooth and click motion. The click wheel is a little stiff on this mouse. If it loosens up after some use, this will be the best value small form factor wireless mouse available.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the little things in life!, October 6, 2010
I have used a wireless mouse for the past five years and I didn't expect to get excited with my most recent replacement.

I received this mouse today, popped in the included battery and plugged in the tiny USB remote and I'm off and running. The mouse is the standard size - maybe slightly smaller than a wired mouse - as long as a deck of cards and about 1.25" at the thickest part under your palm. The roller is grippy so that you don't need to press down to create enough resistance to roll it. The bottom must be treated with some type of surface Teflon that reduces friction because it glides effortlessly across the surface! I use a gel wrist pad with a mouse "mat" and it works great on that (even through the translucent gel which seems to mess up some IR devices).

It may be just because I had to go a week without a mouse but this little guy totally made my day! I am impressed!

**UPDATE** It's April 2013 and this mouse has moved jobs with me and it's still going strong. I like that it is red - it doesn't get mixed up with the other mice in bull-pen work environments. It also still looks great :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Lover, September 10, 2010
I'm a Logitech lover but this does a better job than the $45 Logitech I purchased a few months ago. It turns off easily and the small USB slips into the bottom of the mouse for storage. My more expensive Logitech only turns off after I remove the cover to house the USB.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but it's really a trollop - neither one worked, February 23, 2011
Pro's:
Nice size
Looks great
Nano receiver

Con's:
wheel button is clunky (it's hard to feel when it has been clicked or scrolled)
incredibly loud (sharp) left and right button clicking
battery life

This mouse looked so great. I read the negative reviews before I bought it and still talked myself into getting it. It's sleek and pretty and it just looks cool - but that's pretty much where it ends.

The middle wheel is absolutely horrible. The first one I bought wouldn't scroll up and down or zoom in and out of ANY application on my computer(Word, iTunes, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Photoshop, Safari or Internet Explorer).

The second one I bought (yes I'm an idiot, but it was SO pretty!) lasted for maybe a week. Then the wheel quit again. I hung on to it for a couple more weeks hoping to coax it into functionality. But no, it's dead and I hate it.

Everything else worked well. I had no problems from the nano receiver, or the optical sensor. It installed easily (when I say "easily"
I mean that I put the nano receiver in the USB port and it installed itself with n'ery a click from me).

The left and right buttons worked fine, but were INCREDIBLY loud! I read some other reviews that mentioned that the buttons were loud and I thought "oh boo-hoo! my mouse is too loud!" Yeah, well, it really is. You wouldn't think it would be annoying, but after about the 50th click you start dreading the next time you'll have to.

Even if the next one I bought would work perfectly (i.e. the mouse wheel)...I'd still get something else. The left and right buttons are just annoying. And let's face it - computers are aggravating enough without an explosive "CLICK" from your non-functioning mouse that feels as though your inner-ear has just been punctured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic laptop mouse; looks great too, August 30, 2010
Steve Thelonious Parks (Culver City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I love this mouse. It's small, making it very portable without sacrificing useability. The USB receiver is tiny too, so there is no need to remove it from your computer when you pack up your laptop. Battery life is incredible (thanks to an on-off switch). And the mouse works very very well.

I'm without a doubt a satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft 3500 v. Logitech M305, January 14, 2011
Mark (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
I have both and, while my experience favors Logitech peripherals, I would buy another Microsoft 3500 before I get another Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 (Dark Fleur). Usability and feel are comparable. However:

1. The 3500 nano-receiver has a smaller head so it sticks out less.
2. The 3500 receiver is stored in a slot on the underside of the mouse with the eject button next to it(along with the on/off button). Easy in, easy out.
3. The M305 stores the receiver in a slot inside a compartment, with the 1 AA battery, on the topside of the mouse (palm-rest portion). The hatch to this compartment is completely ejected by a button on the underside of the mouse (along with the on/off button). The hatch is a little loose so it clicks when touched. Awkward design IMO.
4. The 3500 has BlueTrack.

Also, the 3500 scroll wheel feels a little smoother and softer clicking noise when scrolling. The 3500 mouse buttons click a little softer, too. However, this may vary from mouse to mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and low price, November 4, 2010
Original review November 4 2010:

I've been very happy with this mouse. the battery finally ran out today, which means it lasted for almost 2 months. Considering how much I use it, and the fact that it runs on just one AA battery, I'd say that's a pretty long time. The battery life would probably be even better if I had regularly turned it off between uses. The mouse installed fine on both the Windows and Linux partitions of my PC, but when running Linux it sometimes gets a glitch where the wheel scrolls in huge increments. However, removing and reinserting the dongle corrects the problem.
The mouse is compact and easy to carry around, yet is still big enough that using it doesn't force your hand into awkward positions. As for the dongle, it's extremely small, so you don't have to worry about it bending or breaking the USB port unless you're actually aiming for it. I've also used the mouse on just about every surface possible, including my dog, and have never had trouble with tracking.
This is a very good product, and if you don't have a built-in Bluetooth adapter or don't want to go through the (albeit slight) trouble of pairing a Bluetooth device, I'd definitely recommend it.

Update November 30 2013:

Still rocking it 3 years later. This thing is invincible. I don't even remember the last time I changed the battery. Works great on the Mac I have now as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, & works on all surfaces, November 20, 2010
This is the best wireless mouse I have got so far. I have used two Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Slate in last 5 yrs and now was looking for a moue with a smaller USB Connector. And this one has a very small USB connector, which I leave in my laptop all the time, without having to bother about it hitting anywhere while handling/moving the laptop. There is an on/off button at the bottom of this mouse which helps to conserve battery life when not in use. And the best part is that it works on all surfaces, including carpet, rug, bed, my knee,,, in under [...] bucks, it is the best buy.

Rate and Discover Movies