Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 - Loch Ness Gray
Color: Loch Ness GrayStyle: RetailChange
Price:$15.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 19, 2010
This mouse replaced a retractable corded USB "travel" mouse. It was small and basic and worked quite well for years but finally died. I wanted a small cordless mouse to replace it so I surfed Amazon and found this one. The Logitech's were nice but I like that the USB receiver dongle is small. Most others are as big as a flash drive increasing the chances of it getting broken off.

So far it does seem to work well on a variety of surfaces. It works on my laptop table of course but I've also used it on the fabric chair arm and it worked just fine.

Two other nice features are the off switch and the dongle fits in the bottom of the mouse. All in one package for ease in travel. The mouse is also just the right size, not too big or small and reasonably comfortable. After a month or so I'm quite happy with it.
on April 11, 2010
This is the only Microsoft mouse with BlueTrack and a click motion wheel. The mouse is very responsive and has a good feel. Battery life should be good as well.

I had stopped purchasing Microsoft mice because all the new mice had smooth scrolling wheels. The wheel design is a weakness on Microsoft mice. Logitech has a much better wheel design both smooth and click motion. The click wheel is a little stiff on this mouse. If it loosens up after some use, this will be the best value small form factor wireless mouse available.
on January 14, 2011
I have both and, while my experience favors Logitech peripherals, I would buy another Microsoft 3500 before I get another Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 (Dark Fleur). Usability and feel are comparable. However:

1. The 3500 nano-receiver has a smaller head so it sticks out less.
2. The 3500 receiver is stored in a slot on the underside of the mouse with the eject button next to it(along with the on/off button). Easy in, easy out.
3. The M305 stores the receiver in a slot inside a compartment, with the 1 AA battery, on the topside of the mouse (palm-rest portion). The hatch to this compartment is completely ejected by a button on the underside of the mouse (along with the on/off button). The hatch is a little loose so it clicks when touched. Awkward design IMO.
4. The 3500 has BlueTrack.

Also, the 3500 scroll wheel feels a little smoother and softer clicking noise when scrolling. The 3500 mouse buttons click a little softer, too. However, this may vary from mouse to mouse.
on September 10, 2010
I'm a Logitech lover but this does a better job than the $45 Logitech I purchased a few months ago. It turns off easily and the small USB slips into the bottom of the mouse for storage. My more expensive Logitech only turns off after I remove the cover to house the USB.
on December 16, 2011
6/26/2015 Update:

I just replaced this mouse with another of the same, and got a 4000 model for my macbook (I prefer 3500 scrolling on PC, while 4000 scrolling is better on Mac -- tracking is identical between the two, in my experience). This mouse lasted me 3.5 years of intensive usage playing RTS, RPG, and MOBA games, multimedia development, and countless hours of casual usage. The middle scroll button began to be less responsive recently, but WOW, what an incredible run! I continue to use this mouse, and I highly recommend it.
_____________________________________________

Just decided to come and update this review. The mouse have an affinity for getting a bit grimy on the top finger surface. My hands can sweat some during gaming, but I don't have this issue with most other mouses. Unfortunate, but not life ending. I'll leave my rating at 5 stars, though 4.5 would be more appropriate.

First off, this mouse brought me to this page (i.e. I'm using it now.) Secondly, I am graduating college as we speak, and have used countless types of mouses on campus the past 4 years. The only one I've ever used that I like as much as this one is the Apple Magic Mouse, I love that thing too.

The good (I bought the all black one, fyi):

- It works perfectly on: mouse pad, wood (black painted, in my case), the wall (white), my carpet (multicolored), my robe (plaid), metal (black), the side of my cooking pot, a dinner plate, etc.
- Doesn't work on clear glass (nothing behind/under it - but did work on clear plastic with nothing under it...strange) or a mirror (boo hoo)
- Excellent sensitivity (don't know the specs, but I'm a fairly avid gamer, and this thing can click a crackling running on creep with no problem :)
- Really beautiful to look at, don't be dissuaded by its girth, it's really quite petite and fitting
- USB connector is tiny and fits snug
- No problem installing (win7), just plugged it in and give it about 30 seconds, kabam, done.
- Had it for about a week and used it probably 30 hours so far, still no sign of warning light coming on
- Exception design for mobility (easy to turn off, and...(trying this now) yep, that is one beautiful usb insert underneath the mouse. Fits in flush with the bottom and holds it securely, easy to pop out with the button release, and the mouse started working immediately upon re-inserting the usb piece
- I love the scroller on the middle, its sturdy with a solid grip, pressed left and right, and you can push it down (which on win7 automatically acts as alt-tab). Obviously left and right sides of the mouse click.
- Design is mirrored horizontally (same on both sides), so left or right handed will be the same.
- This mouse is small. Not tiny, but small. I love a small mouse, works perfectly with my average male hands and claw grip (see "reasons not to buy" section below for grip style details)
- Great distance capacity. I just went probably about 18 feet away and used it on my wooden door, and it worked flawlessly. Any further and I likely wouldn't be able to see the cursor, so sorry I can't test it more (and I'm alone)

The reasons not to buy:

- I use a claw grip and have average sized male hands, so this mouse works beautifully for me. If you use a palm grip, I recommend getting a bigger mouse, unless maybe if you have small hands. If you use a flat finger grip, then use your judgment. If you have small hands this will be fine for that, if average hands, you might be okay but it will be a matter of preference (my average hands have the finger tips clearing the front by a couple centimeters with a flat finger grip), and if you have large or very large hands, I recommend a larger mouse unless you know you prefer a smaller mouse.

For information on these three grip styles, watch this one minute video:
[...]

I can't think of any other reasons why not to buy this mouse. I've been told that sometimes wireless mouses lag; I have experienced virtually no lag with this one.

Verdict:

Buy it unless you don't want a small mouse. Remember, it's not tiny, but it's small.
on February 23, 2011
Pro's:
Nice size
Looks great
Nano receiver

Con's:
wheel button is clunky (it's hard to feel when it has been clicked or scrolled)
incredibly loud (sharp) left and right button clicking
battery life

This mouse looked so great. I read the negative reviews before I bought it and still talked myself into getting it. It's sleek and pretty and it just looks cool - but that's pretty much where it ends.

The middle wheel is absolutely horrible. The first one I bought wouldn't scroll up and down or zoom in and out of ANY application on my computer(Word, iTunes, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Photoshop, Safari or Internet Explorer).

The second one I bought (yes I'm an idiot, but it was SO pretty!) lasted for maybe a week. Then the wheel quit again. I hung on to it for a couple more weeks hoping to coax it into functionality. But no, it's dead and I hate it.

Everything else worked well. I had no problems from the nano receiver, or the optical sensor. It installed easily (when I say "easily"
I mean that I put the nano receiver in the USB port and it installed itself with n'ery a click from me).

The left and right buttons worked fine, but were INCREDIBLY loud! I read some other reviews that mentioned that the buttons were loud and I thought "oh boo-hoo! my mouse is too loud!" Yeah, well, it really is. You wouldn't think it would be annoying, but after about the 50th click you start dreading the next time you'll have to.

Even if the next one I bought would work perfectly (i.e. the mouse wheel)...I'd still get something else. The left and right buttons are just annoying. And let's face it - computers are aggravating enough without an explosive "CLICK" from your non-functioning mouse that feels as though your inner-ear has just been punctured.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the best wireless mouse I have got so far. I have used two Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Slate in last 5 yrs and now was looking for a moue with a smaller USB Connector. And this one has a very small USB connector, which I leave in my laptop all the time, without having to bother about it hitting anywhere while handling/moving the laptop. There is an on/off button at the bottom of this mouse which helps to conserve battery life when not in use. And the best part is that it works on all surfaces, including carpet, rug, bed, my knee,,, in under [...] bucks, it is the best buy.
on April 18, 2011
*UPDATE*
After two weeks of having this mouse my battery died. Why? Because I am too busy with everyday life to turn off this stupid mouse every time I leave the computer. There is no build in feature whatsoever that makes the mouse idle/auto sleep when it isnt used for a period of time. Meaning if you leave the mouse sitting there on, and don't touch it, the laser will be on until you shut it off.

This is going to be a short straightforward review.

The tracking quality of this mouse is top-notch. Works on all surfaces except glass or transparent materials.

Price is unbeatable. For a high quality mouse like this you would expect a price tag of $30+

Scrolling is a little inaccurate, each "tick" on the wheel is pretty jerky on the screen. Not a big deal at all, just turn down the scroll sensitivity on your mouse settings in control panel

Can't say anything about battery life as I've only had it for 2 weeks.

Sleek, smooth, fits hand well, I have medium sized hands.

Has micro usb transmitter, can fit inside of the mouse.

Laser tracker is "BlueTrack" its a blue laser instead of red that I guess is supposed to be better

Clicking is a little on the quieter side, not by much at all, maybe not even noticeably different
on December 22, 2010
I bought this mouse to replace my 3-year-old wired optical notebook mouse. The reason I didn't buy a wireless mouse before is because I didn't want to half to deal with a flash drive sized transceiver, thanks to the nano-transceiver I could finally upgrade to wireless. I run Windows XP SP3 and this mouse was plug and play, I was almost instantly able to use it. The reason I bought this mouse over a Logitech is because: 1) I have used Microsoft mouses in the past and I trust them, and 2) BlueTrack technology, which does in my experience indeed track on any surface including: hardwood table, pants, couch, tile, paper, laptop, and even clear glass! Oh and did I mention they have rubberized grips, which I wasn't expecting. It was the perfect replacement, I recommend it to any laptop/netbook user. See my pictures above.

It is now February 16, 2011 and it only just ran out of batteries for the
first time. It's been almost 2 months! I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about, this mouse has exceptional battery life.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I own several of these blue track technology mice for multiple computers and I just purchased a new one for my grandson for Christmas as a stocking stuffer. I like how they came in so many colors and you could select one to match your personality. I love to use a wireless mouse with my laptop computers and I hate to use the touchpads on the laptop. The mouse is just so much easier and faster for me to get my work done. Here is what I like about this mouse:

* Pick your own color to match your personality or make it easier to find among all of the family's computer equipment
* Wireless operation
* Only uses one AA battery.
* Includes a Nano transceiver that you can leave plugged into your laptop and not worry about bumping it and breaking the transceiver or the USB port on your expensive laptop.
* The mouse has a storage spot on the bottom to plug in the transceiver to store it if you want to unplug it and use the USB port for something else.
* The mouse has a physical on/off button to conserve battery power.
* The BlueTrack technology works on many surfaces like a book, your jeans leg or a desk.
* There are no moving track balls to get dirty and need to be cleaned.
* Able to be used by left or right handed people.
* The drivers are automatically loaded by most operating systems.
* Small comfortable size to carry and use with a laptop

My only negative comment it that Microsoft claims to be able to get a battery life of 8 months which is silly. Just make sure to turn it off with the switch on the bottom and you shouldn't have to change the battery for about 2 or 3 months.

Overall I like the one I own and I am sure my grandson will like the new one he is getting for Christmas. I recommend it to you. The price is right and it is a good product.