1,682 Reviews
 (1,024)

5.0 out of 5 stars IT IS NOT HOPELESS!! Microsoft is standing behind it.
CALL MICROSOFT IF YOUR RECEIVER BURNS UP!!!
Published on September 10, 2010 by Andrea K. Flynn

1.0 out of 5 stars Birth-to-Death Review
Day 1 to 1 month. Mouse works fine.
1 months. Rubber lining where your thumb and index fingers are wears out. Very noticeable!
3 months. Notice that the mouse burns approx. 1 AA battery a month.
4 months. The mouse double-clicks approx. 5-10% of the time on single-clicks with the left mouse button.
5 months. The rubber O-ring lining the scroll...
Published on June 13, 2012 by Readthis

1.0 out of 5 stars Birth-to-Death Review, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - White (Personal Computers)
Day 1 to 1 month. Mouse works fine.
3 months. Notice that the mouse burns approx. 1 AA battery a month.
5 months. The rubber O-ring lining the scroll wheel becomes unusable due to the stretching, permanent deformation, of the rubber which inhibits scrolling.
6 months. Mouse is crushed by a hammer. JK, but the stuff stated above is true.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT IS NOT HOPELESS!! Microsoft is standing behind it., September 10, 2010
CALL MICROSOFT IF YOUR RECEIVER BURNS UP!!!
I purchased the MS mouse 3500 for my daughter. It was about a month later when she had the "meltdown". I called Microsoft and they knew about the problem, sent a replacement mouse (different color), and advised us not to purchase another one from the store because the first batch of mice have this issue. They explained that they have resolved it, but some of the retail stores have inventories from the first batch. Of course, Microsoft recommends purchasing a mouse from their website so that you can be assured that you won't have to contend with a "meltdown". If you had this problem, Microsoft will replace your bad mouse free of charge if you just take the time to call. Yes, it is inconvenient, but it is a great mouse!! Our replacement works perfectly and for months now. We are looking to purchase two more. (Everyone in our home wants to use my daughter's mouse.) Why would anyone pay for the same item twice after having a problem with it? YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON A NEW MOUSE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tracking Wireless Mouse ever made, September 20, 2009
First off, i've tried over half a dozen wireless mice in the last five years. Every new one seems to claim that they're all lag free. That's not the case with me. I've even tried wireless mice up to a hundred dollars in price and even some Bluetooth mice. They are usually fine on a small laptop screen, but when you connect them up to a 24" LCD there is barely noticeable lag. It's so small that 95% of people would probably not notice it at all. It only seems to occur on large screens and it's a big enough annoyance to keep me from using a wireless mouse of any kind.

I heard about the new Blue-Track technology and just figured it was just a marketing thing and not really something new. I figured it was perhaps just an Optical mouse in disguise. After losing my receiver for my VX Revolution (which is a very good mouse) I needed a new mouse for my laptop with a small receiver. I read up about these and a almost went for the Mobile Mouse 5000 instead, but glad I didn't. I saw these on display at a local store and they were out of stock. I checked online and most every place was out of stock of them. I waited a week and my local store only got in the white version. After another few weeks I ended up driving a half hour just to pick up this mouse in black. Yes, I actually waited just so I didn't have to buy the ugly white version!

Instead of connecting it to my laptop I immediately hooked it up to my PC connected to a 24" display. I immediately noticed there was no micro-lag AT ALL. I was pretty impressed to say the least. It actually tracks just as well as my Logitech G5 that I was previously using. So far I have not installed any of the software on the disc, so I can not comment on that. I usually prefer not to if I can avoid it.

In my picture viewing software the mouse scroll wheel skips by pictures too fast, so that it's nearly impossible to scroll down one image at a time. I can fix the scroll speed in the software easily i'm sure. The scroll wheel itself is a bit too thin, but this is a laptop mouse, so it's not a big deal. The wheel just feels cheap and i've always preferred the Logitech wheels due to the clicking sound it makes when you scroll it. The auto-scroll on the VX revolution is a really nice feature.

Unfortunately the entire mouse feels cheap. It IS cheap, so that's not a big deal. It's not bad enough to make me want to not use it though. There is a rubber grip material on both sides of the mouse and i'm not sure why this was needed, since it's too smooth to begin with. It does however make the mouse look a bit better. It is a very well designed mouse and looks pretty nice.

I'm currently using this still on my desktop computer. As my main mouse it's a bit small, but for a laptop it's PERFECT. I actually liked the blue-track so much that I went out and bought the Wireless Mouse 5000 for my desktop. I didn't like that much (too big and heavy!) so I'm going to keep this for desktop use despite it being so small.

My suggestion to Microsoft is that they should make a higher quality version of this. One with a metal scroll wheel and better buttons. Pretty much like a top of the line model like the MX revolution. This actually tracks better then that mouse, so why not?

It's the best tracking wireless mouse i've ever tried and the best mouse you can get for the price!

UPDATE: 3/2/2010

I love this mouse so much that I did end up buying two of them. One for my main computer and the second for my laptop. The nice thing about it when using it on a laptop is the receiver is so small you don't notice it. I tested the tracking on carpet, wood flooring and even glass and it was no problem. The most difficult surface for it to track on is tan leather. I often sit in my leather recliner while using my laptop and put the mouse on the arm rest (it's pretty wide). Sounds dumb, but it works! It's not even all that flat, but slightly curved! Occasionally after every 10 minutes the mouse starts to throw a fit and I have to switch to a different surface. Once I use it on a different surface for a few minutes and switch back, it's fine. It's almost as if the mouse re-learns how to track on the new surface. Very strange. I'm just amazed that it'd even work on such a surface to begin with.

The only minor negative i've found is that the battery doesn't last long. It's not even worth mentioning since batteries are so cheap. I've been through about two in a month. I've also noticed some stores charging more for some colors due to being hard to find!

2.0 out of 5 stars Scrolling wheel became "lumpy" after a month., December 23, 2012
Carl Connor (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
The mouse itself seems to work fine. I specifically bought it for the unobtrusive usb and reported good tracking, and I have no complaints about either.

But the scrolling wheel is pathetic. The rubber-like wheel appears to have developed a lump in it after 3-4 weeks of use. Since I scroll just as much as I click (if not more), this means I already have to replace my mouse.

Very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars The wheel sucks, March 12, 2013
I've had this mouse for 5 months and the rubber on the wheel is so loose that it makes it tough to move. Had to order a new one today, and it wasn't a Microsoft.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse crappy receiver, December 25, 2009
Microsoft Mobile mouse 4000 is best wireless mouse I have ever used. I purchased mine from an OfficeMax store in Brooklyn but today it stopped working. When I went to investigate why the mouse wasn't working I discovered that the wireless receiver (the part you plug-in to your pc) was extremely hot to the touch, at least 120°F. Removing it and placing it in a different usb port caused it to heat up again. So now I am stuck with an otherwise wonderful (wonderful because it makes less noise while scrolling and clicking than the Logitech V450 mouse) that I can't use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, horrible receiver, December 13, 2009
Great mouse! Tracks excellently, feels really good in the hand. But after owning it for a week the nano receiver broke, so now the whole mouse is unusable and I am forced to spend another $40 on another mouse, EXTREMELY frustrating. I didn't bump the receiver or physically touch it in anyway. I usually just left it in my computer, then turned the mouse on when I wanted to use it. But after a week I turned on the mouse and nothing happened. I pulled out the receiver and the metal part was extremely hot to the touch and so was my usb port.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure reliability; Nanon rceiver prone to short circuit, January 5, 2010
I bought this wireless mouse mainly because it was advertised to work on almost any surface and because of the nano receiver. While I really liked the design and features of the mouse, the reliability issue turned me off. The mouse worked for exactly five days. At the end of the fifth day, my computer did not recognize the USB nano receiver. When I plugged the nano receiver from the USB port, I immediately knew what was wrong. The receiver was too hot; apparently shorted out somehow. It turns out this is more common than I thougth (just search on google). I returned the product the next day and replaced it with a Logitech V450.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Mouse, But Reciever Failed Under A Month, January 12, 2010
Recently bought this mouse because I was tired of the large receivers snapping when I accidentally bump it. This mouse was real nice. Fast and silent, but soon the mouse stopped working and when I pulled recive from the USB port it was hot enough to burn me. Now I have no idea what to do. I have a great mouse, but no way to use it or return it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silent scroll and very comfortable!, December 12, 2009
Penacious H (NJ Great Garden State) - See all my reviews
I had only used Logitech mice but the scroll wheel clicking was distracting. So I tried this mouse in the store and found it to be great--quiet scroll, comfortable!

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - White