on June 20, 2013
So Microsoft decides to roll out another 360 redesign to clear out the 360 S stock in replace of this E model version which they say is quieter and faster but also has some differences.

1. The front power and eject buttons are actual buttons that you press now in replace to the touch sensitive buttons
2. The power bar connector is a whole new round connector
3. The av cable connector is a 3.5mm headphone jack which means the composite cable from the original and S model will not work. By the looks of it i think there would be no component cables available and not sure how it would work with the 3.5mm jack
4. The back has 2 usb ports instead of 3
5. The digital optical connector has been removed so if you want 5.1 surround sound you have to use HDMI for your receiver. probably not a big deal for some but for me i use digital optical out because my receiver doesn't do HDMI standby pass thru.

Kinect port, ethernet port and HDMI port are still there, this console uses the same hard drive from the 360 S model and runs a tad quieter but not much, it is not that much smaller than the 360 S vertically and horizontally.

So those are the differences, If you have a original 360 console and want to upgrade then go for it but keep in mind that you will not have digital optical out and will not have component out, just composite and HDMI.

If you have the S Model already then pass on this version, not worth the price for this console that eliminates digital optical out and component out and 1 usb port.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We had two consoles of the Jasper chipset, which was one of the first of the original designs that pretty much didn't "red ring." We've had those for several years without issue. I liked the Slim model but we had no reason to buy it.

I did some remodeling and wanted to replace the white xbox with the new black one (and it has a bigger HD). It looks great and is significantly smaller. It's smaller than the PS3 Slim model sitting next to it. Compared to the PS3 Slim and the Jasper/original 360, it is very, very quiet. Virtually silent when the disc is not spinning.

I haven't quite found the actual specs, but this should be the lowest power consuming xbox to date.

I agree some of the Slim bundles are better values, because you can get the same xbox with the Slim bundled with a couple of games for the same price. Still, I like the look of this one better than the slim--more conservative and modular.

Yes, you do lose some of the ports--no more component video, and an audio out that's no longer there, so be warned. Still, I just use the ethernet, HDMI, and power, so it's fine.

The power brick is the smallest I've seen so far on the 360.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2013
I had a black Xbox 360 elite that I have been wanting upgrade for a while. It was so loud and sometimes Arkham City wouldn't load for me; I had to restart the console. Since GTA V and Arkham Origins are coming out soon, I finally took the plunge. I traded in my old Elite and got this new "E" console.

First things first: I LOVE the way this console looks compared to my old one. This one blends in so well with my tv stand and the rest of my setup. Secondly, this thing is SO quiet. I read it's not more quiet than the slim, but coming from an elite, it's truly night and day. I don't hear a peep out of this new console and I love it! Another thing I love about this new console is the built in wifi. No more networking adapter protruding from the back on my console like with my elite. I also love how they brought actual buttons back for the power and disc tray. I personally do not like the touch sensor on the slim. Another thing I personally love about this new console is how they removed some inputs that I personally had no use for in the first place. Many have complained about the lack of an optical and component video inputs. This is not an issue for me. I have been connecting all of my home theater gear to my AVR via HDMI for years. I also use a 5.1 surround setup; I don't use gaming headphones that need the optical audio input. I find the back is less cluttered with the lack of those inputs.

All in all. I'm totally happy with my upgrade. I love it! Having said all of that, if you already own the slim, I wouldn't recommend this new console, unless you just love the new look and don't need the optical or component inputs. If you're not already an xbox owner, and are planning to get one for GTA V like I'm assuming some people are, this is a great one to get, again, if you don't need optical or component. I love this new console. It fits my needs perfectly with no extra bells and whistles that I would never use anyway.
on October 25, 2014
After suffering for years with an Xbox 360 Elite, which constantly sounded like a Boeing 747 preparing for takeoff or a time-travelling DeLorean hovering in a thunderstorm, and which generated enough hot air to rival Mitt Romney, I finally broke down and bought the new "E" model. It's ABSOLUTELY SILENT as long as there's no disc in the drive -- and even then it's pretty quiet. It has one LARGE low-RPM cooling fan inside the top vents, which cover half the top surface... so it also stays nice and cool. Best way to watch streaming movies, period. The built-in wireless is also a big plus! This is an absolutely wonderful piece of hardware, backed by a still-great online service and a huge library of great games. This is the machine Microsoft should have released from the very start. I would definitely recommend this to *anyone* who missed out on the Xbox360 or is just looking to replace their old noisy one. Forget XBONE or PS4 -- buy this and immediately have access to bazillions of games at cheaper prices.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In case there was any doubt, the 360 E is a reduced-cost console, although not necessarily reduced price (more on that in a minute). It gives buyers something new to look at for a few months until the Xbox One gets into the stores. Undoubtedly its purpose is to give xbox sales a little boost between now and Christmas, when the Xbox One will probably be in short supply.

Considering this, its definitely not for hardcore gamers who want the best and the latest.

The Xbox 360 E is for a very specific niche:
1) Parents who want to pacify their kids with "something" new without buying the newest and the best.
2) Businesses/youth groups that want to have an Xbox on the premises but don't care about the Xbox One.
3) People who actually need a new xbox 360, not an Xbox One and not a 360 Slim, at this moment (I fell into this category)

Microsoft has done a good job of tailoring this console to that particular market. There are a lot of gamers who are NOT in the group I just described. If you are a gamer and you don't fit nicely into that group, you really shouldn't be looking at the Xbox 360 E. Its not made for you.

In short, the Xbox 360 E is purely about marketing and distribution. It is NOT about raising the bar of gaming. It doesn't even try to be the best Xbox 360 ever. Fortunately, it doesn't pretend to be anything its not.

For those of you who are considering the Xbox 360 E for one of the reasons above, I think its a pretty good console. It fills the gap between the Xbox 360 slim and the Xbox One, which is yet to be released. As a "gap" device that is probably only going to be available for a year or two while the Xbox One is offered, so you do want to consider purchasing it carefully.

The Xbox 360 E has most of the features the "general public" needs, and everything else has been removed. I think Microsoft has done a better job than the recently released Wii Mini Nintendo Wii Mini Console (LIMITED EDITION) + Bonus Wii Remote in terms of what they kept: the Xbox 360 E is a fully functional console, even if you don't get optical audio, RCA A/V jacks, and other things that are still in use in homes today. If you buy this unit, you should intend to hook it up to your TV with HDMI. Thats a major change, and, if you are still using an older TV you may want to take note.

Its pretty safe to purchase it because there is an enormous library of games available for it, both new and used.

And what about that price? Well, there is only one way Microsoft and the Retailers can keep a low cost solution in the news: to highly publicize price drops when they happen. They are still in a "start high and lower the price over time" strategy.

Expect to see the Xbox 360 E go on a discount before Christmas. Thats just so they can say "reduced price" which catches the ear of many a parent and grandparent. As I said, the xbox 360 e is strictly about marketing. And now that you know this, you should know what decisions to make going forward.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2014
This xbox is not as good as the Slim but works about the same.

What's missing:

1 USB Port
1 Optical Audio Port
2 Sensitivity buttons (eject and power - they're now push buttons)
2 Barrel AC Plug (Now looks like a standard AC Adapter plug - 1 barrel)
1 RCA A/V Brick (now a 3.5mm Composite jack output)

- Overall -

If you have a HDTV w/ a Optical port and use HDMI you do not need to worry for surround sound systems.
If you have a SDTV w/o a Optical port and use A/V you do need to worry for surround sound systems.
on October 19, 2013
Great product. Looks just like they said it Would. It works fine and no issues. Will be getting another one soon.
on December 7, 2013
Very attractive design. Not too many bells and whistles.
Wish they would've stuck with one design, and it be this one.
on December 4, 2013
Pros:

1) Small, cool and quiet. Only uses about half the power compared to the original 360. I can't hear it above my PC or air purifier if I have either running. If I'm using external speakers I only hear the console during very quiet moments such as loading screens or pause menus.

2) The design. It's been brought inline with the Xbox One and although some people seem to not like the "boxy" design for me it fits in with the rest of my set up - my TV, audio receiver, speakers, DirecTV box, bluray player - they are all "boxy" and black so this console fits in well.

3) Integrated wireless. Don't have to worry about running ethernet to the console or buying a separate wireless receiver.

4) Physical power and eject buttons. I prefer the tactile feedback of these buttons to the capacitive touch buttons of previous 360 versions.

5) The price of aged technology. I managed to pick up the console on sale during the holiday bundle. The bundle came with 2 games (Halo 4 and Tomb Raider) and I added 2 games (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and GTA V) and only paid $240. For someone hadn't owned a console from this generation until now being able to pick up most games for less than $30 is a very nice perk.

Cons:

1) It's 2013 and this console *still* doesn't come with an HDMI cable.

2) HDD is only 250gb. HDD is still only 5400 rpm. Microsoft missed an opportunity to add some "quality of life" upgrades to the console.

3) "simplified" i/o panel. Some options from previous versions of the console are missing which might impact the usage of certain peripherals, particularly 3rd party headsets.

4)The included headset is cheap cheap cheap. Flimsy, cheap materials, low-quality audio.

5)Basically every online function of the console (whether from online gameplay or apps like Netflix) seems to require an additional cost in the form of an Xbox Live Gold membership. I was aware of this going in so it doesn't bother me but it's not a fact which is clearly communicated in the product description.
on November 5, 2013
My husband's XBOX finally gave up after about 6-7 years when the dog knocked it over. We needed a replacement. We grabbed this on Amazon when it was on sale. This is obviously the upgrade from his older one, and he is very happy with it. He said it seems to run more smoothly than his older one did. The headset it came with is kind of cheap/chintzy, but he has a big fancy headset he bought for his older one that works just fine.