VINE VOICEon March 19, 2011
I have had my Xbox 360 for a couple years, but I never had invested in a chatpad. The live voice chat, I thought, made typing messages fairly rare. But as I played more online co-op and versus games, the occasions come up when you want to thank another player for playing honorably, or finishing the campaign despite the late hour, or whatever. Picking letters using the joystick and screen is a fairly laborious process, so I bought the chatpad.

At first, I thought it didn't work. I had attached it to the controller, but the chatpad did not seem to work. Make sure it "Clicks" on both sides of your controller. The fit is very snug, and I do not think it was intended to come on and off regularly. Once the chatpad was snapped into place properly, it worked brilliantly.

The chatpad is a great add-on for your controller:
1) the chatpad has an access point for the standard xbox 360 wired headset.
2) the chatpad is very light and does not in any way interfere with the controller.
3) the chatpad letters/numbers are backlit when you start typing.
4) the chatpad works fine with the Xbox 360 Black Play & Charge Kit and also works with Xbox 360 Energizer Power and Play Charging System - Black. You do not have to remove the chatpad to charge your controller. NOTE: CHATPAD WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED TO CHARGE YOUR CONTROLLER WITH Xbox 360 Charge Base - Black
5) the chatpad is compact with green shift and red shift which allows each key to function as 2 additional signs or symbols (great for creating names for aliens, elves, or other characters)

I frequently use the chatpad eventhough I didn't think I would. Generally speaking the chatpad is most useful for:
1) leaving players a quick "thank you"
2) entering the MS points redemption codes
3) creating your bio/profile
4) easily creating custom character names in various games.

The xbox 360 chatpad is a surprisingly useful add-on. I can't believe I used the xbox for so long without one. I can whole-heartedly recommend the chatpad to most xbox users and all xbox players who play online.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2010
I've been looking out for this item for a few months now, and shockingly I found it here on Amazon. I couldn't find it online anywhere or in stores. I refused to buy the White Chat Pad kit thats been out here on online stores, and on the shelves in retail stores. I wasn't sure if this was really the original black Chat Pad at first, and was thinking twice about purchasing it. I just took my chances, and I'm glad I did. This matches great with my new Xbox 360 25O GB Hard Drive Console. Looks great, matches, easy to use, keypad lights up for use when playing with the lights off, and most importantly relieves me of the time it takes to reply to messages from friends, and posting messages on my facebook. Great product, highly recommend it. This isn't the knock off "White" playback Chat Pad that they custom paint Black that you find on e Bay that people are selling for like $50.00. I Got my product on time and for a great price, with free shipping, I was satisfied. Can't say anything bad about this Chat Pad, it's great and ofcourse this comes complete with the new all black live headset. Great way to get your game on, and save yourself lots of time.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2010
I wanted to play Xbox Live online with my friends on Christmas Day with my new 4GB Xbox 360, but I hadn't realized that it doesn't come with a headset. For just a few dollars more than the headset, you can get a headset and a nice, backlit QWERTY chatpad.

The layout is a little awkward- for example, apostrophes are square + J. Not that it's a big deal, you get used to it quickly. Oddly enough, when it's attached to my controller, it looks like a modern Atari Jaguar controller.

The chatpad isn't limited to Facebook and Twitter as the box may suggest; you can use it anytime the on-screen keyboard pops up. I also noticed that pressing A, B, X, and Y on the chatpad do the same as their colored button counterparts when there's no on-screen keyboard.

Bottom line: if you need a headset, just get this. On the occasion that you need to type something, it's so much better to tap it out on the chatpad than using the D-pad at 4 words per minute.
on October 5, 2012
well, I broke my husband's headset and got into an argument blah blah :D I got free gift codes from swagbucks (if anyone wants to know what it is just reply) so I ordered a Chatpad as a replacement because it is cheaper, and convenient to use. Hubby was at work when item arrived so I set it up but the Chatpad wouldn't work and I almost panicked. I had to reconnect the chatpad a few times and it worked after I pushed it hard and it snapped in place.

So when you set up your chatpad make sure to push the chatpad onto the controller with even pressure until they snap together. There should be no gaps. - from Xbox support :)

Product works great after set up. Will update review if there are any issues with it which I hope not!
review image review image review image
on September 9, 2010
I've been waiting for this chatpad since I saw it on the box of my new xbox 360 slim. I just got the chatpad today and I can say so far so good. Mic works through the jack. Everything works just as expected. No regrets, buy now and match your black 360 controller with this awesome black chatpad.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2012
It is a huge bum-out to input text with a controller, unless the only thing you want to say is "AAAA." And the Xbox 360 isn't simply a "game" console. You have your Netflix you want to log into. You have your wireless password to input. Your Xbox Live information and codes and whatnot. Games also have many opportunities for text input. Pointing and clicking is very tedious. Typing is so much more fun - I know so because I am doing it right now.

One thing that is not totally apparent about this product is that it can be used for ANY application (that I have so far encountered) that lets you input text. So if you're enchanting custom weaponry in "Skyrim" and want to give them cool names that aren't just "AAADAGGEER" you can do so. The pad has enough elegant control (about as much as your standard keyboard) with SHIFT keys and space bars and the like that text input is easy and intuitive, whether you finally want to give your character a cool name with umlauts and stuff or are just sending a message to the n00b you just pwn3d.

As a super-cool bonus, the Chatpad lights up with a strong, solid and even backlight that makes typing in the dark a breeze. And it looks so good, that you'll find yourself pressing buttons on it just to see it light up. It works with my wireless controller and doesn't seem to detract much from battery life at all.

The chatpad integrates so well with the design of the controller that it just looks like part of the controller - people have asked me where I got the fancy controller. The thing about this is that the chatpad is a little tough to snap on - you have to really squeeze it together until it totally CLICKS in. This is only an "issue" if you have a charging base or something. Otherwise, the chatpad does not interfere with your gaming at all - I never take it off, even if I am in a game that requires no input.

All in all, if you have ever ONCE thought you might appreciate this item, I would simply suggest you buy it, because it's one of those things you appreciate more and more... and wonder how you ever lived without.
on January 1, 2011
Either searching in Netflix or just updating status in Facebook this is invaluable accessory for the 360. It does add some bulk to the controller which is the last thing it needs, but will disconnect easily when not needed.

Buy it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 12, 2010
Using the thumbsticks to enter text messages or reward codes has always been a time consuming process. Plugging in a USB keyboard gives you the capability of typing in text more rapidly. However, the chatpad offers a more integrated approach. Unfortunately, the chatpad is rather bulky and uncomfortable to grip for long periods of time. I can always feel the seam and overlap from the chatpad, and the inside edges can catch my fingernails from time to time. It adds quite a bit of bulk to the wireless controller. The backlit keys are a nice touch though.

Overall: 3/5 stars.

I'd recommend that Microsoft release a Bluetooth wireless keyboard, sort of like a medium sized table controller for a media center, for the Xbox that one could store on a table top without taking up too much space.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2011
+My main reason for buying this one is well 1st ofcourse because I had the black controller so buying the white one would be a stupid mistake (atleast for me). and because it took quite some time to write even a sentence with moving the cursor around and clicking on letters\numbers,etc.
So since I bought this I started replying\sending messages so fast and with extreme ease. sometimes even during play I could find a safe spot or when I spawn and type fast and get back into action (ofcourse this chatpad is used with the thumbs only).
There is also a nice touch which is the back-light (like some pc keyboards or high end laptop keyboard). it`s very convenient for those very smart who plays in the dark (yes sarcasm, it`s very bad to your eyes to play in the dark or even a low dark room). anyway back to the review, the back-light is`t on always. its automatically turned on when you press a key on the chatpad and then automatically gets turned off after few seconds of not typing on it. so it`s great for not consuming the battery of the controller.

-There is 1 draw back for me with this chatpad, it`s with 1 button the problem that is (for me it`s the V button, and others have same problem but with other button\s). it`s not that it`s not working, it does work but it requires more pressure than the rest of the keys, so for example if am writing fast "it`s very nice to meet you Victoria" it would come out like this "it`s ery nice to meet you ictoria". so it`s annoying when you have a sentence with some "v" in it and then you have to move back and type the "v" because it did`t register when you pressed the button. so depends on your luck if you got this problem which makes you press the "usually" one button hard to register. or if your lucky and your chatpad had no problem with any key.

Now to the somehow tricky install of this chatpad (only for the 1st time though).
1st align the chatpad male rca to it`s socket at the bottom of controller.
2nd turn the controller to the back side (where the battery is).
3rd do you see the screw socket on the bottom right and bottom left?. push the chatpad up so that it "click" by click I mean the plastic screw in the chatpad with the it`s socket on the controller. the right and left side both have to click and when you look you`ll see that it`s connected perfectly and when you press any key on the chatpad the back light will light up.

5th to unplug the chatpad. turn the controller upside down (Y button down and A button up). and push the chatpad up with your thumbs to unplug it. OR hold the controller normal like if your playing, and with your thumbs on top of the chatpad frame push down. but do it on a table preferably so the chatpad dos`t get thrown up\down and gets damage when it hits the floor.

have fun texting.