1,448 Reviews
 (1,144)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Windows 7 laptop! Plug-&-play, works great!
Published on January 8, 2012 by David R. Canjura

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Does NOT work correctly with DirectInput games
Published 7 months ago by KT Chong

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Windows 7 laptop! Plug-&-play, works great!, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (Personal Computers)
I bought this controller because I needed something that was truely plug and play. It works flawlessly on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit laptop. I chose the "For Windows" version of the XBOX 360 controller simply because I didn't want to take a chance with other controllers not being recognized or working incorrectly. I don't have an XBOX 360 and wanted this specifically for my Windows computer. It is a perfect match! This controller is recognized immediately by Windows which installs the drivers automatically. If you want you can also go to the Microsoft website and download the latest software/drivers too.

The controller itself works as described with no problems whatsoever. I am using this controller along with another XBOX 360 controller to play multiplayer games on a Nintendo 64 emulator (Project 64) on my PC. Assigning the buttons is easy, but the rumble does not work without installing a plugin (not the controllers fault, just letting you know). I don't mind not having rumble at the moment as it does not affect game play and will install the necessary rumble plugin some day. This controller also works with many other PC games.

I highly recommend a Microsoft controller over a third-party controller! The quality is worth the money. I also recommend going with this USB wired controller over a wireless version so you don't have to bother with batteries or charging. Its simply plug and play and I can't really ask for more than that. Great controller for Windows computers, buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid product, September 20, 2011
When my Xbox 360 RROD'd (way past warranty), I decided not to drop $250 on another one. I don't play a ton of games, and can find what I want for the pc. I was already signed up on Steam, and at first I tried a gamepad made by a company that makes the heavy-duty gamer controls, but that wouldn't even work! Thanks to Amazon, I was able to return it, even refunded return shipping. I bought this unit, popped in the setup disc, drivers loaded, plugged it in and it worked on every game that supports gamepads. Plus, having played Xbox for a couple of years, it was completely comfortable. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars same as "Xbox 360 Wired Controller", so just get the cheaper one!, February 25, 2012
Same as Xbox 360 Wired Controller except Xbox 360 Wired Controller does NOT include the software/driver CD (just download the software/driver from Microsoft's website for free). Buy whatever one is cheaper!

It is very comfortable to hold.
All the buttons are right where you need them, and they have a good feel when pressed.
The two thumb joysticks are very precise.
The cord is really long (9 feet).
It feels very solid and well built.

If you are looking for a gamepad for your PC, definitely consider this one.
I'm very happy with my purchase, and look forward to using it with many games.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
For the link to download the drivers, view the first comment to this review.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good controller BUT..., November 14, 2012
Comparing this to a cheap USB controller and there is no comparison- the Xbox controller wins across the board! It is a quality controller. HOWEVER it is missing a key feature IMO that would be easy for Microsoft to implement, especially since they want you to install their special software before using the game pad.

Issue) The two back "trigger" buttons on top cannot be used in older/non-Microsoft-certified games. The system doesn't consider them "buttons" but a "Z" axis. Unfortunately that means there are 2 useless buttons in prime locations I can't use on my older games. Microsoft should offer a software option to make these buttons work like normal buttons on the game pad. There is other software out there by 3rd parties that can do this but it is not free and frankly I trust 3rd party software less and less these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pefect!, August 28, 2011
Misael E. Ramirez (Boca Raton, FL USA) - See all my reviews
No problems with this wired controller! I bought it for my computer and works as expected. I also tested the controller in a Xbox 360 and it worked well too! No problems installing drivers either! (Windows Update took care of that)

5.0 out of 5 stars None other than Microsoft, July 1, 2012
I own four xbox controllers, three wireless and now this perfection. Main draw to it was the fact it is wired to save on batteries. The wire isn't huge but long enough to go from my xbox to the couch with left over slack, it's just right. Not only that, it's solid black rather than the white and $10 cheaper than the only labelled xbox wired controller. Why? I have no idea! I have seen this happen everywhere and there is no difference except packaging.

Most know the design of the xbox controller and this hasn't changed from the original. It's still sleek and lightweight (even lighter without the batteries/battery pack) and has flawless mechanics. Two 360 degree analog sticks, numpad, 4 buttons with left and right bumpers/triggers, back/start button and the standard xbox dashboard button. The feel is very natural, it fits in your hands perfectly and the button lay outs are exactly where you'd want them. Unlike the PS3 controller the triggers are sturdy and responsive and the movement analog stick is above the right rather than side by side as well (two qualities I don't like with the ps3 controller). I've tried a few other PC controllers but none quite match the design/structure of the xboxs. The actual in-game response is more accurate than other controllers I've tried. Some non-Microsoft controllers are cheaper but after a while of use you'll notice that it won't react as accurate to your movements as you'd expect. May not be noticeable or a issue to all, but something to watch for.

Just to be clear this controller works for both PC and xbox console, I've used on both and its perfect. Battlefield 3 will pick it up without any key binding set-up at all as well. They are also pretty durable, I have two white wireless controllers from years back since my original xbox purchase and still running like troopers. Hard to go wrong for only $30. Also your chatpads, microphones etc will all work with this as they normally - tested this as well. Controller comes with a support disc to install a driver for your controller on PC - not 100% if this is necessary because I installed first without testing. It's a under 2 minute installation.

PROS:

- Works for both PC/xbox and controller accessories
- Wired (good length), lightweight and sleek black
- Responsive, comfortable and Microsoft made
- Cheaper than other Microsoft controllers including the wired controller labelled for xbox 360
- Comes with support disc

CONS:

- Can't rate it six stars?

Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to play X-Box games on your PC, December 31, 2011
I am a PS3 Owner, and if you have ever tried to link your PS3 controllers to a computer it is a pain, requiring you to download a bunch of files from shady websites etc. And the vast majority of 3rd party controllers are overpriced and/or break easily. The biggest benefit to this controller however, is that if you hook up your TV to your computer through a VGA cable (or just play through your monitor) you can play the PC versions of most X-Box games as if you had an X-Box.

Also installation couldn't be easier. Since this is a Microsoft product, all you have to do it put the controller into a USB port on your computer, and in about 30 seconds it is set up and working. You don't even need to push a single button.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Does NOT work correctly with DirectInput games, May 21, 2014
Before 2006, all PC games used the DirectInput API standard for controllers. In 2005, Microsoft implemented the XInput API for Xbox 360 and adopted the new standard for Windows. However, the transition process for Windows has been slow and gradual: some Windows games from as late as 2013 still used the DirectInput method, (e.g., BioShock Infinite.) Microsoft "claims" the new XInput API is backward compatible with the old DirectInput API. That is not entirely true. Here is the catch: the Xbox 360 controller does not work 100-percent completely or correctly with DirectInput games. So the controller works with DirectInput, just not completely or correctly.

I found out about the problem when I tried to use my Xbox 360 controller to play BioWare's Jade Empire: Special Edition. Jade Empire was an Xbox game,(i.e., for the very first and original Xbox.) It was remastered and re-released for the Windows PC in 2007, and used the old DirectInput standard. The Xbox 360 controller "worked" with Jade Empire: Special Edition - but only partially. The left thumbstick (which controlled movement) was erratic so the game character was moving by itself and could not stand still. The right thumbstick (which controlled camera view) and D-pad (controlled abilities) were not working at all. Some buttons worked and some did not.

I went online to search for a solution. That was when I found out about the different DirectInput and XInput API standards. I also found a long list of PC games, mostly older titles, that have troubles working with the Xbox 360 controller. I found a few solutions to overcome the problem, but they all require an additional cost and additional hassle. I ended up paying $10 for the Pinnacle Game Profiler, a software that can override the XInput with DirectInput. (The software was usually $20.) I spent about an hour to learn how to use the software, and then another hour to set up/map the overrides controls for Jade Empire. Even though my Xbox 360 controller finally worked with Jade Empire, it did not have vibration/rumble. Jade Empire: Special Edition has the vibration/rumble feature, but it only works with a controller that native DirectInput support. (Which is fine with me; I dislike vibration/rumble.) You can find other controllers that natively support both DirectInput and XInput. For example: the Logitech F310 gamepad has a physical switch on the back between "D" (DirectInput) and "X" (XInput). So Logitech F310 would be a better choice for people who want to play DirectInput games.

If you know you will NEVER touch an old pre-2006 game or run into an odd new game that still uses the old DirectInput standard, then this controller is perfect. However, if you run into a game that uses DirectInput, it will be a lot of frustration and hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great on my new pc i built with windows 7, plays all my steam games, September 7, 2011
cant wait for assassins creed revelations to come out now that i dont have to play it on a keyboard... some games are better with a controller. I like FPS games on keyboard but a game like AC or Prince of Persia is much nicer with a controller

5.0 out of 5 stars works perfectly, December 18, 2012
I bought a cheap 20 $ controller from best buy that got decent reviews. I could barely use it. Now with this one I can play all games with smooth controls of a xbox game. No longer I am slave to bad pc controllers that i had problems with since the 90s. I didnt even know pc game pads can be this good.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows