Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on January 8, 2012
I bought this controller because I needed something that was truely plug and play. It works flawlessly on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit laptop. I chose the "For Windows" version of the XBOX 360 controller simply because I didn't want to take a chance with other controllers not being recognized or working incorrectly. I don't have an XBOX 360 and wanted this specifically for my Windows computer. It is a perfect match! This controller is recognized immediately by Windows which installs the drivers automatically. If you want you can also go to the Microsoft website and download the latest software/drivers too.

The controller itself works as described with no problems whatsoever. I am using this controller along with another XBOX 360 controller to play multiplayer games on a Nintendo 64 emulator (Project 64) on my PC. Assigning the buttons is easy, but the rumble does not work without installing a plugin (not the controllers fault, just letting you know). I don't mind not having rumble at the moment as it does not affect game play and will install the necessary rumble plugin some day. This controller also works with many other PC games.

I highly recommend a Microsoft controller over a third-party controller! The quality is worth the money. I also recommend going with this USB wired controller over a wireless version so you don't have to bother with batteries or charging. Its simply plug and play and I can't really ask for more than that. Great controller for Windows computers, buy this one!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2011
When my Xbox 360 RROD'd (way past warranty), I decided not to drop $250 on another one. I don't play a ton of games, and can find what I want for the pc. I was already signed up on Steam, and at first I tried a gamepad made by a company that makes the heavy-duty gamer controls, but that wouldn't even work! Thanks to Amazon, I was able to return it, even refunded return shipping. I bought this unit, popped in the setup disc, drivers loaded, plugged it in and it worked on every game that supports gamepads. Plus, having played Xbox for a couple of years, it was completely comfortable. Well worth the money.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2015
Received knock-off, brand-less controller labeled TY-G403A that was much cheaper and obviously not official.
review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2013
I've went through a number of gamepads over the years, dating back to when they connected to the PC via an analogue gameport. I've had pads from the likes of Thrustmaster, Saitek and a few others, most recently using a PS2 controller via a USB Adapter, which was far from ideal.

Over time, the layout of the Xbox 360 controller has become something of a standard for PC games that use a joypad. Many games already include mappings for the controller, and Steam's big picture mode more or less assumes that you're using one. I was looking for a new controller, so with all this in mind I decided to go for the wireless version of the gamepad for windows.

The last time I used an Xbox controller was on the original Xbox with one of the original humongous controllers. I don't have the smallest hands in the world, but that thing made them ache after an hour or so. Not so here; the controller is a nice size, the analogue sticks are positioned well in range of my thumbs, and the overall balance of the gamepad feels good. It also doesn't resort to any of that nasty grippy rubber paint that was all the rage not that long ago. That stuff doesn't last in a tropical climate, tuning into a sticky, messy goop that then has to be removed.

As others have mentioned, the Windows version of the pad uses AA batteries. Myself, I see this as a bonus. Instead of relying on a LiPo pack that may or may not survive more than a year's worth of use (I've heard really bad things about the kit that adds a Lithium battery to the controller) NiMh rechargeable AA's tend to be quite robust, and they're dirt cheap. If they were ever to die, replacements these days are about $1.50 apiece. Ever since low self-discharge cells became the norm, having them go flat by themselves is no longer an issue. Thank you Sanyo for your Eneloops and Amazon for your Amazon Basics AA's; I have a pile of both types at home.

The integration of the gamepad into Steam's big picture interface is impressive. Having it mapped to the Xbox 360 controller layout was a smart move on Valve's part as they were able to concentrate on the on-screen prompts being consistent, etc. It makes me wonder how SteamOS will be once it launches.

Software-wise, the gamepad ships with next to nothing. A driver CD is supplied, which installs drivers and little else. This is the source of the controller's greatest failing; unless you're playing a Games for Windows Live game (hereby referred to as GfWL), there is no way supplied to turn the controller off once you're done. It supposedly turns itself off after a short period of inactivity, but I've heard that can be unreliable (I'm testing this at the moment, and it's yet to turn itself off since I started writing this review). Many resort to disconnecting the batteries once they're done to turn the controller off, which is a workable (if clunky) solution.

If this were what we were stuck with, I'd have docked a star, perhaps 2 for this alone. It doesn't detract from the gamepad while in use, but it's an annoyance that seems doubly odd given a mechanism exists to explicitly turn the gamepad off from software, but that software isn't provided with the gamepad to cover all eventualities. Only the abomination that is GfWL gets that level of control.

Thankfully, the community at large had a bit of a poke about, and the "Xbox360 Controller Manager" was born. This is a little tool that sits quietly in your system tray and responds to a long press of the guide button (the silver button in the middle) with a prompt to turn that controller off. The tool itself takes single-digits of MB of memory, which is background noise in this day and age.

For those of you that haven't already discovered this essential little piece of software, you can get it here:

Save it wherever, add a shortcut in your "Startup" start menu folder, and then forget about it. Using it will become second nature, and you'll forget that it's a 3rd-party application. Honestly, this utility removes the one problem I had with the gamepad, and does it so effectively that I can't help but wonder why Microsoft didn't ship it with something similar.

Overall, I highly recommend this. The biggest niggle I had with it was solved by its users, and if you're looking for a wireless controller for Windows, there really isn't any reason not to get one.

P.S. I'm done with this review, and the controller still hasn't turned itself off. Thankfully, there's an app for that...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Amazon ASIN B004QRKWLA Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows - Wired version is the same as Amazon ASIN B003ZSN600 Xbox 360 Wired Controller - Wired version. The difference is that ASIN B003ZSN600 does NOT include the software/driver CD (just download the software/driver from Microsoft's website for free). Buy whatever one is cheaper!

It is very comfortable to hold.
All the buttons are right where you need them, and they have a good feel when pressed.
The two thumb joysticks are very precise.
The cord is really long (9 feet).
It feels very solid and well built.

If you are looking for a gamepad for your PC, definitely consider this one.
I'm very happy with my purchase, and look forward to using it with many games.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
For the link to download the drivers, view the first comment to this review.
Enjoy!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2011
The controller is the standard XBOX 360 wireless controller. The box contains a wireless controller hub. Supposedly, up to four controllers can be connected to a PC through this hub (though I presume not many games will let you use this feature). I have not tested connectivity for more than one controller at a time.
There are no apparent problems with this, on this Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium install. Plugged the hub into a USB port in the back, pressed the center button on the controller, and ready to go. Works great in Grand Theft Auto 4 (driving much much easier this way).
Can't wait to use this for DiRT3, yeah

The software is nothing special. In fact, beyond the standard joystick control panel, there is nothing else. You can test the functionality of the buttons, D-pad, analog sticks etc. And that's it. Would be cool if the software would allow programming of the buttons, or let you assign macros to the buttons like Intellitype for instance. Logitech does a much better job!
But I will not complain... the hardware is top notch and works great... and wirelessly.

If you already own an xbox 360, try to get only the wireless hub.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2012
Comparing this to a cheap USB controller and there is no comparison- the Xbox controller wins across the board! It is a quality controller. HOWEVER it is missing a key feature IMO that would be easy for Microsoft to implement, especially since they want you to install their special software before using the game pad.

Issue) The two back "trigger" buttons on top cannot be used in older/non-Microsoft-certified games. The system doesn't consider them "buttons" but a "Z" axis. Unfortunately that means there are 2 useless buttons in prime locations I can't use on my older games. Microsoft should offer a software option to make these buttons work like normal buttons on the game pad. There is other software out there by 3rd parties that can do this but it is not free and frankly I trust 3rd party software less and less these days.
on January 7, 2015
Some people seem to be able to get the real controller by Microsoft when they order this, others receive a cheap knock off. I was one of the others. The wireless adapter should have a sync button and the controller itself should also have a sync button. Neither of these are available on the cheap knock off and you cannot use it with an Xbox 360 since there is no sync button. The packaging also advertises it is Android compatible. If you had any doubts this was an imitation, that alone should be enough to confirm it is. If you notice that the controller comes in some rather cheap clamshell packaging, feels a bit lighter in your hand and has no sync button, return it right away. Nearly $50 is not a good value for the cheap knock off version when you are being sold the official Microsoft version.

If you want to avoid the possibility of having to return this, just order a regular wireless xbox controller and get a wireless adapter separate for your PC needs.
review image
on June 18, 2014
******************* This review is for the product sold by "GPStock" *******************

************************ NOT a review for the one sold BY AMAZON!! ********************
This is the verified purchase proof.
Here is the deal, Amazon blends the freaking reviews from one product into another, and changes the products in and out and sellers in and out and back and forth all the time without warning. I'm really getting sick of this practice. This helps no one but the dishonest sellers that are trying to rip people off by exploiting the fact that they can sell a product that is NOT the same as all of the reviews written for it! I read the reviews for this product, and they all said that this comes with the wireless dongle for use with PC.

Well I opened up the package and there is a big sticker over the package saying: Attention, this does not contain a wireless dongle! Well why the hell didn't you say that in the description!? Maybe because no one would buy it then?

What a bunch of BS. I look at the product link from my own order - same exact listing, but sold by Amazon, and it costs 2 dollars more, and supposedly comes with the dongle.

Even after getting duped by "GPStock", when I check my original order, and follow the link, it takes me to the product sold by Amazon. If I follow the "buy again" link, it takes me to that product sold by Amazon. BOTH are called the exact same thing: "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows " NOW, a few days later, the one sold by "GPStock", is listed for thirty-four ninety-five, and not available on prime, but when I bought it on Sunday, it was four bucks more. So I had no reason to think it did not come with the dongle, as all the reviews I read, confidently said that it did.

I called Amazon and explained that I was mislead and that I got a product that was not as advertized. Also it is actually as much the fault of Amazon as it is "GPStock" because they combine all the reviews for a product, even if there are different sellers with different versions of that product, some missing important items in the package, for instance that let you use this Xbox controller with windows like it says on the freaking package, and in the description.

It looks as though they opened up the package and took the dongle out, because there was an empty compartment with nothing in it. Funny that the only other thing they sell on Amazon is the DONGLE! Geez, I wonder where they got all those dongles!? Oh, that's right, they took it out of my package!

So anyway, I got an RMA label and just returned it, and Amazon also let me purchase the "correct" one (we'll see if I ever get the dongle), and then refunded me the difference for one day shipping. I did have to pay more for the correct product with the dongle though, just four bucks, and also had to pay tax which I didn't before, and the prices all went up since I ordered the original one last Sunday, June 15th.. The first entire order was thirty-nine ninety-five, but this new order, even with the discount was forty-six forty-three. So I still ended up paying about six bucks more altogether, and have to wait another day because of their screw up with the descriptions/ reviews.

This is to Amazon: You MUST SEPARATE out the reviews for a product based on the sellers selling it, especially when one seller might be a liar, and the other might be trustworthy. It makes a difference! You cannot continue to lump all these reviews for a product into one huge pile, when there are actually reviewing completely different products sold by completely different people, some using a PRODUCT NAME to intentionally and knowingly mislead the customer.

It's the same problem with DVD and Blu-ray disc movies of all different types and versions of the movie.. You lump all of those reviews together and then people get a DVD when they ordered what they thought was a Blu-Ray, or they get a complete different version of the movie, because the reviews are all or partially inaccurate, but the only fault lies with Amazon, not the reviewers. It is not only morally wrong, and misleading, it is probably illegal. Have you ever heard of "bait and switch"? That what happens when you lump all the reviews together like that. And then you have to pay for RMA shipping labels and it is all a big waste of time as well.

Proof:
LINK for controller sold by the liars, GPStock:

LINK for the genuine "for Windows" Xbox 360 controller sold by Amazon:

Now you go look at the reviews for both of the products above. They are exactly the same reviews, and exactly the same description. GPStock should be kicked off of Amazon!
~BWX

Now the listing from GPSTOCK is mysteriously gone and there is no controller being sold by them now.

They emailed me, trying to get me to take down my reviews on them AS A SELLER, claiming they're "new" to all of this. I do not believe it for a second. All of their "mistakes" benefit them, not the customer, ironically.
~BWX
on August 28, 2011
No problems with this wired controller! I bought it for my computer and works as expected. I also tested the controller in a Xbox 360 and it worked well too! No problems installing drivers either! (Windows Update took care of that)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...