8,628
Microsoft Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership
Subscription Term Name: 12 MonthsAccess Method: CardChange
Price:$46.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 24, 2011
Subscription Term Name: 12 MonthsAccess Method: Online Game CodeVerified Purchase
I decided to purchase one of these when my current subscription expired. It took a matter of minutes, and I was logged back on to my Live account. It was also about $10-12 cheaper than it would've been if I went to my local big box store (not to mention gas and time). Here are the steps that I took:

1. Purchased it on Amazon.com
2. Checked my e-mail to retrieve my Xbox Live Code immediately after purchase.
3. Logged onto my account on xbox.com, and put the Xbox Live Code in. (Or enter the code on the Xbox 360 dashboard.)
4. Turned on my 360 and viola! Instantaneous access.

I plan on purchasing this again when my current subscription is up. It's a total no brainer.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,163 of 1,273 people found the following review helpful
on December 19, 2006
Verified Purchase
To start off, I'd like to say that X-Box Live is amazing and worth every penny. Online gaming is incredibly fun and quite a good way to pass time.

That aside, there are downsides to X-Box Live that can be avoided through prepaid cards. Number one, you always run the risk that unwarranted transactions will be made if your credit card information is stored on your X-Box 360 system. It may not happen all that often, but it's best to avoid it all together.

The biggest reason to buy prepaid Xbox Live card is the renewal process that happens when you don't use one. If you order X-Box Live through your system, it'll renew every time your subscription runs out. This wouldn't be a problem except that it's not that easy to cancel. Instead of canceling through your system, you have to go through the hassle of actually calling X-Box Live support. Even then, depending on the representative you get, you may be hassled to keep your subscription because they really don't want you to cancel it. I'm guessing that's part of their job to convince you to keep it, but it still is frustrating to the person that is trying to cancel it.

You'll have to go through this process every time you want to cancel if you don't use a prepaid card. Is that hassle really worth it? I don't think so. Therefore, avoid all of the problems by simply buying a prepaid card. You won't be sorry.

UPDATE: (3/6/2011): I updated this review about a year ago pointing out that you could disable the subscription on X-Box Live's website. As of this update, they've taken that feature away again. I'm guessing Microsoft must have seen a major increase on people who canceled their subscription, thus now forcing you to call their customer service hot-line again to cancel. Even if they add it back, just save yourself the hassle and get a prepaid card. You never have to worry about dealing with customer service that will try their hardest to get you to stay on as a recurring customer. Amazon also gives great deals throughout the year. You could save yourself $20 to $30 sometimes just by checking to see if Amazon has these prepaid cards on sale. What's not to love about that?
5656 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2014
My kid needed this to go on line and kill zombies. Who am I to stop my kid from saving the world.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2014
This is probably the best deal i have had in a very long time, for xbox live at least. This is or was a must get
on November 24, 2012
Subscription Term Name: 3 MonthsAccess Method: Online Game CodeVerified Purchase
Just received my code instantly. The only other place I've seen that does this is instaGC and you can get instant cards there too. Thanks Amazon!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just noticed that it's just about that time again. Every December marks the annual renewal of our XBOX Live Account. With that said, our family has been using Live for almost ten years and we've found that these codes from Amazon are the simplest and safest way to renew or even start a new XBOX Live Account.

To start of renew, you have the choice of using your own credit/debit card, a store bought card, or an online gaming code. I've renewed our account using all of these methods and the code from Amazon has been the best way to go. Last Christmas Eve, I saved close to $20.00 and got this code for $39.99. That's quite a big savings and well worth the price.

I belive XBOX Live will let you piggy back these (up to three years). So, when they're on sale, it's best to get them then; and just put the codes that come to the email address registered with Amazon into your XBOX Live Account.

I highly recommend Amazon and this method for all of your XBOX Live needs!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2014
While I am pleased with the ease of these prepaid cards and codes, and I enjoy the services provided through an xbox live account, I am not pleased with how convoluted the pricing is. In what world is it cheaper to mail me a card than it is to simply give me the code? There aren't ground fees, there is no postage required. So why, of all things, is the easiest option more expensive? At the time of purchase, $10 more expensive. The last time I checked? The cost of the online code was still a penny short of $60, and the card itself was somewhere around $52. So tell me, what is the reason for charging $8-$10 dollars more on average for the online code option? If someone could share that wisdom it would be appreciated. The only reason I purchased this was because it was a gift, and their subscription ended tonight. Work on your pricing, my dears, because it is a**backwards.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2014
Subscription Term Name: 3 MonthsAccess Method: CardVerified Purchase
You can not go wrong with a 3 moth subscription to Xbox 360. I bought this for my husband for our anniversary. It came very quickly and the code worked very well. The price is perfect considering at a retail store I would have paid $10 more. Highly recommended and a great buy!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 5, 2014
The benefits to having an Xbox Live account have increased over the years. With a Gold account, you can download two free games every month. Some of these are major name brand games that are a few years old, but originally sold for $50 and $60 each. You also need an Xbox live account to use some of the features on your Xbox such as Netflix.

There are also free games that you can play as an Xbox Live member, such as World of Tanks.

If you already have an Xbox Live Gold Account, using this card and entering the number into your existing Xbox Live Account will extend your membership. You do not have to wait until your current membership expires. This is actually cheaper than the automatic renewal online.
on March 24, 2013
Not much I can say about this but if you own an xbox and want live, you need this. I will say DO NOT purchase this item if is more than $40 as you can find it for $35 else where. I ended up purchasing this for $30 with a special deal at the time so I got a great deal.