Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microwave Cooking for One
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on March 25, 2010
Alone in my dark apartment, having worn my 3 Wolf Moon T-Shirt as well for countless weeks, found this book to be my bible. I sit at my dining room table, playing World of Warcraft night after night, sobbing silently for want of notice by another human being. Pizza boxes piling up, chinese food leftovers filling my fridge, I was beginning to run out of options. I recently lost my job as a Custodial Consultant for sniffing the amonia in the utility closet. My funding for my gourmet meals from such world reknown chefs as Boyardi and Uncle Ben had begun running low. Stumbling in a drunken daze through the local bookstore, my elbow carelessly knocked a book onto the floor as I turned a corner. As I peered down, I saw the title, "Microwave Cooking for One."

Curiously, I picked it up and decided to have a a quick read. As I began flipping through the pages, I began to see that this was no ordinary cookbook. No my friends, this was a book passed down from the Gods themselves, displaying the infinite beauty of their messenger Marie T Smith on the cover. I knew at that moment, that this book would change my life. I purchased it with the last few dollars to my name and brought it home. Because of this book, I now eat like a King. Filet Mignon? Chicken Alfredo? Caviar? Its all in there. Not only do you never need to buy another cookbook, there will never be a book so beautifully written ever again. From that point, I ahve divided my life into two different categories, life before Microwave Cooking for One and life after, much like the Old and New Testament.

From this book I have made more friends than I can count, gained 30 pounds of rock hard muscle, and have a new job as VP of a major financial holdings company. This book worked for me, and I am sure it will work for you.
1717 comments|706 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Because of my extensive training in math, I have even noticed that if you double or triple the ingredients, you actually can serve 2 or 3. Just be sure to get the math correct. I once multiplied the ingredients by 6, but I only had 3 people to cook for. I ended up giving one person two servings, and put two servings in the fridge.
on December 17, 2012
I originally purchased this book as a part of my suicide plans. Each microwaved meal was prepared in order from the beginning to the end of the book without regard to course type. Some days it was nothing but main dishes, others just desserts, but I did not want to leave this world without enjoying the kind of culinary adventure my intense fear of pavement and obtuse angles (makes it difficult to read books properly!) prevented me from embarking on. After cooking, eating, and cleaning up after the last recipe in the book, I had planned on hanging myself from a cross beam in the basement. However, as I sat there, bloated with what I believed to be an impacted colon owing to the book's cheese-based meals, I had what can only be described as a gastronomic revelation. With a few tweaks here and there to the otherwise masterful recipes in this sacred (yes, sacred!) cookbook, I could open my own restaurant. Yet my phobias kept me confined to my (assumed) dead grandmother's basement and only after exhaustive research on the Lycos, I discovered that various bleaching and coloring chemicals applied to the face and scalp dulled my senses just enough to mask the pavement and angles that had plagued me since I was a little boy. With unsteady gait, squinted eyes, and slurred speech, I emerged from my hermitage and stumbled to the local B of A, whose wise loan agents recognized the genius of my vision. Sure enough, my plan worked beyond all of my expectations, and my one restaurant built on this little cookbook, became a media and culinary empire! I still suffer the side effects of my anti-anxiety treatments daily, and the impacted colon is yet unresolved, but I am now hailed as one of my generation's greatest chefs and entrepreneurs. Marie: If I didn't (secretly) love men, I would make sweet, sweet love to you on a dining room table laden with dishes from pages 10-22 in your masterful, Bible-esque tome.

-Guy F.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2015
Of the two books gifted me since my emotional breakdown, the other being Suicide and You: Putting Down the Shaving-Blade, Microwave Cooking for One was the more practical. These days, my hands are so full of microwave eggs, bacon and Christmas-cakes-for-one that I just don't have time to go up the highway on my wrists. Hell, I don't even have time to go across the street!
on June 14, 2003
If you are single, this cookbook is a must for you. The recipes are easy to prepare and don't require any fancy ingredients. Most of them are recipes you wouldn't mind serving to a guest either, and doubling the ingredients for such a purpose is easy. I had no idea my microwave could do so much!
on June 24, 2000
If your microwave's main function in life is to heat leftovers or bake potatoes, "Microwave Cooking for One" can make you the best cook on the block without sacrificing your time, taste or pocketbook.
Make homemade lasagna, biscuits, cookies, jams--or just boil an egg! The nearly 300 recipes are kitchen tested, easy to follow, and specific, from breakfast foods to midnight snacks. Best of all, you start with a recipe for one, and multiply each dish to make the amount you need--from a hot sandwich to brunch for the holiday crowd.
The difference between this book and all those others is Author Marie Smith's emphasis on measuring portions, timing carefully, and simply using the correct size dish--all of which she explains clearly. The result is that whatever your degree of culinary skill (or interest!), "Microwave Cooking for One" makes it easier to prepare great food. Fast. And isn't that why you really invested in your microwave?
Send for your copy of "Microwave Cooking for One," today, and unchain your microwave oven from leftovers! Get the convenience--and taste--you deserve from your microwave oven.
22 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2014
This book is an excellent gift to give to someone you want to tell "it's totally fine if you get a LOT more cats" but you don't know how to say it.
on May 1, 2013
It happened at a Christmas Eve party that one of my friends was throwing. In the middle of our merriment and much feasting on her homemade delicacies, we had a white elephant gift exchange. After dodging a weird banana slicer and a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble (I mean, what even is that? It sounds like a cheap law firm), I ended up with a small rectangular box. I opened it and shrugged at the title that was printed on the book: "Microwave Cooking for One". My ex-boyfriend that was across the circle jeered as he wrapped his arms around his new Korean girlfriend, who was wearing the completely wrong shade of lipstick, as she clutched onto the handmade Amish bonnet she had unwrapped. What she really needed was a new face, but hopefully the bonnet could at least attempt to hide her current one. The rest of the night was spent drinking and staying a safe distance from the mistletoe and the karaoke machine. When I left the next morning (apparently I wasn't in the condition to drive home), I nearly forgot to take my book - and what a shame that would have been.
Over the next few days, I avoided the book. Calling for pizza or Chinese takeout was just better. I mean, the Chinese takeout boy was kind of cute - but then that fateful Tuesday happened. My account was in the red.
What was I going to eat? Was I going to starve?
The answer, my fellow Amazon users, is that I did not. Somehow I remembered the book: "Microwave Cooking for One". I flipped it open and made my first gourmet microwaved meal - Eggs Florentine. I don't know what the hell Florentine means, but it was amazing and as I was eating, I came to the amazing conclusion that, yes, I could make dinners for one. I didn't have to waste my time at parties and dinners with friends or trying to find a man that would treat me to dinner or maybe even offer to split popcorn at the movie theatre. I could be independent! I only needed myself, a microwave and this miracle book. I was suddenly a new woman.
Soon I was quitting my job, deciding to work from home and only needing to leave when I needed more supplies for these 5 star recipes. I even started a blog about the joys of indoors and how microwaves aren't harmful to your reproductive organs.
Besides even if they are, hey, what do I care? This book is the only baby I need.
I even got a Netflix account and started watching all the shows that I would have been too embarrassed to watch before - like Sister Wives and Extreme Couponing and Animal Hoarders. Not only did this product help me cook for one, but it helped me come to terms with who that "one" was.
Thank you, "Microwave Cooking for One". It has been about four months now and I couldn't be happier. Without you, I might still be going out and wasting money on drinks with friends or spending time with someone who wouldn't enjoy my microwaved Peach Soufflé or having to use the phone to get food or, god forbid, worrying about things like makeup and personal hygiene. This product has truly changed my life.
on February 24, 2011
Eating frozen pizzas, rice and mac & cheese gets old after a few years. After finishing another week of the same old stuff, I just couldn't take it anymore! It became that I'd rather be hungry than have to choke down another cheese covered noodle.

That's what lead to me finding this book. What a life changer! I can't believe all the varieties of foods I've been making! Almost every night I can heat up a new meal, and even some of the most complex foods don't even take an hour! It's completely changed my eating habits! Now if only if I had someone to eat with. As happy as I am to pull those meals out of the microwave a quick and painful rush of sadness always washes over me as I sit my plate down in my dimly lit dinning/living room area of my apartment.

If you're teetering on the edge of buying this or passing it up, I say the choice is easy! It's really cheap too! Go ahead and add it to your cart, it'll change your perspective on the appliance!
on January 12, 2013
There was a day when I still dreamed. Those days are dead. Believe we can do it. Believe we can do it together. In 90 seconds or less.