Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on April 15, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised at the reception of this radio. I live in the western suburbs of Chicago. I listen to AM during the day and I'm able to hear clearly stations other radios have trouble receiving.
It will also come in handy when it is used for two way communication with my handheld GMRS sets.
The ability to be powered by supplied rechargeable batterys and standard AA's as well as supplied AC wallwart is a big plus.
All the channels work well and are fully usable. The price is right as well
All in all a first rate product.
on August 29, 2015
Great emergency radio! It did give me a little of 'what is going on with this thing' after the second try. It started to blink and not run for a minute? I bought extra batteries. I only used it 30 minutes maximum on the original battery at full charge. Still trying this thing out. I just got it.
on September 13, 2012
I don't know too much about 2 way radios with privacy codes, but it seems to pick up ok. go up to 22 channels. I could only monitor, since I am not reg. The Noaa is great. AM,FM works great also. Rechargable battery came with it. I think it is already charged, but it came with wall charger, so I hooked it up, and pluged it in. You must put in battery before cranking it up, sounds like I am starting a car, or something. LOL It uses 4 AA batteries, or Dynamo Crank, or plugs into wall, well anyway 5 sources of power. Has a hand mic,battery level indicator, flashlight, short antenna. Has a clock with alarm, all you need now is a 6 pack of beer, shame you can't put that in there. Almost forgot, has a removable nylon sling also. you can adjust the length, has a wide padded area for comfort on shoulder, or neck. Black, and silver in color. Nice and small, light weight. Will fit in backpack just fine. Now as far as the range, I have not used it yet. The radio AM,FM picks up just fine. I am thinking about getting some hand held 2 way radios for my family. That way no matter what, or where, maybe we can keep in touch. Just maybe. Oh another thing, not that it matters, you can charge up your cell phone with it. I got this because I don't know if the cell phone will be working when needed. Midland XT511 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio
on September 13, 2014
The radio works ok. I'm not sure if the battery is strong enough transmit anything for any distance. I tried to recharge my phone with it and neither the rechargeable or alkaline batteries were strong enough. It showed that it was charging but the battery percentage kept going down. I hope I never need it.
on December 31, 2013
Timely delivery verrrrrrry late review. The radio operates very well on AM, FM and weather. Have not used the gmrs feature. The audio for those features I have tried was more than adequate for the size of the radio. I wanted something that would serve me if I was unable to replace the batteries and this radio serves that purpose very well.
on September 29, 2013
It's a little smaller than I thought it would be and the hand held mic feels a little cheap but it works. It's pretty easy to use as everything is labeled simple enough for a 5 year old. It comes with a shoulder strap which is nice because carrying it by the handle can get annoying. Works great with my other Midland radios. I can just leave this at camp and take my Midland GXT with me on a hike and communicate with the XT511 if I had to. The weather radio is a great touch and comes in handy. The flashlight isn't the brightest thing out there but some light is better than no light in emergency situations or when camping. It can keep your phone on to make an emergency call and if anything you can use the built in 2way radio to communicate. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good emergency/camping radio.
on November 14, 2012
When I am working in the shed, I like to keep in radio contact with the house. I thought this would be an easy way to do so instead of worrying about a handheld radio dropping or getting in the way. I also wanted to have a backup/crank phone charger.
The FRS/GMRS portion worked fine for the small distance it needed to work. Reception and transmission was good but we are talking maybe 100 feet here.
The AM reception was terrible. I really couldn't get any station to come in. When one did come in, it was barely.I my cheapo shower radio gets better reception. Also the way it tunes is really strange. FM reception was OK, sound overall was maybe up to par with my shower radio. Weather radio got one station and was pretty poor reception, but that is just my area I believe.
The USB phone charger did not work at all. I tried various plugs and phones, followed the instructions but nothing. Apparently the port is defective. So, I am returning this item and getting the Eaton radio for emergency phone charging. Another advantage with the Eaton is that it charges from the battery, not just directly from the crank.
As far as the radio part, I got a cheap Uniden with a caribiner on it.
on June 7, 2015
Amazing, epecially considering the reasonable price. Great emergency gear. Completely compatible with my stash of high-end Midland walkies. Takes rechargeable batts that can be charged with the crank or AC connection and regular batts for backup.
on March 2, 2014
Comes with spare batteries and works as expected. Timely delivery as well. I would recommend this to anyone that goes camping or wants to be prepared in emergencies.

Just an FYI, the two-way radio does not have a very long range due to the antenna size.
on May 12, 2014
Now I can communicate on trips with ease, and have this base station to monitor. The range is rather low in the city and I don't know why they don't have a "real world" average testing?! But it looks like a solid unit.