Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 96 questions
vote
I would say yes but with limited range. the more turns and walls you put between the radios, the worse the performance.
Jul 25, 2013 by hombre_du_jour
vote
I have not used these for outdoors, just for warehouse communication among my employees and the office. A good rule of estimation for mobile radios is 1/2 the stated distance. For this model it would be 18 miles, which is still a long distance. This allows for any obstructions which may block the radio waves. Midland does make good communication equipment.
Aug 19, 2013 by Chuck Bellew
vote
Yes you will but the batteries last long enough that if its off most of the time it will last a long time. But yes there is only one charger in the pack
Sep 6, 2013 by Brendan Pucel
vote
I have had 2 different sets, both midland, both over "advertised" 20 mile ranges and we have gotten just about 2 miles. Wife/son at home, me in car to work. So no straight lines, no line of sight, etc. This is in traffic, in the city. It is a gimmick. Now, maybe if you buy a license to use one of the regulated channels... maybe there you can get further, I don't know. We don't use those channels. I don't want any officers showing up at my door! So, experience says... 1 - 2 miles, TOPS.
Nov 26, 2013 by terster
votes
I have used them, many times, on a cruise ship, and wrote a book about cruising, "Cruising for the Average Joe," where I recommend them. When set on high power, on the right channels, they usually reach the 1000 feet or so from the front of the ship to the back, as well as up and down through various decks, though it can get iffy at the edge of that range. You could say, "Why only 1000 feet, when this is supposed to be a 35 mile radio." Well, first of all, the 35 miles is total fantasy. Second, a cruise ship is made of metal and has many walls, and frankly, since these are supposed to be line of sight, I'm actually impressed that it will got the full 1000 feet that it does on a ship. If you have been cruising in a group, you know how hard it is to track people down in different parts of the ship, and find out what is going on that is interesting. These walkie talkies work great for that. When sitting on the Lido Deck on a ship, I have talked to members of our party who were out several miles away. This is easier if you are on the side of the ship towards the port. If you are going to use them on a ship, I also recommend you purchase rechargeable batteries, or buy the optional rechargeable battery pack that they sell for these. All in all, I STRONGLY recommend them for cruising.
Mar 2, 2014 by Frederic Civish III
votes
Even though the people at Midland claim to offer 50 channels, these radios still only covers the standard GMRS and FRS freq ranges. The "other" channels are just channels set at different "privacy codes" but on the same freqs. So this covers 462.550-467.7125 MHz UHF.
Dec 5, 2013 by Brady
votes
I believe it is possible as long as you are on the same frequencies and channels.
Jul 26, 2013 by LG
votes
Haven't used much. Bought for CERT and used for one small exercise. Loud and clear but we were only a couple 100 ft apart. I bought the radios for several reasons. Most important the ability to switch between rechargeable and AA batteries, channels, NOAH alert and weather, water resistant, would have preferred water proof. Tested with a variety of different types of radios including radio amateur radios on same frequencies. Radios for CERT need to survive outside away from a base station for long periods of time. We bought the optional license so we could use many of the channels on a higher power setting.
Aug 15, 2013 by Lloyd M Swartz
votes
votes
They get marine weather band but not the channels like 16 or 9. They work great for boat to boat communication as long as each of you has a radio set to the same channel. They do not replace a marine VHS radio.
Nov 29, 2013 by wildbill
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   Next ›
Do you think Questions & Answers are helpful? Add your feedback
ARRAY(0xa5d78bc4)

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers