5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, something that does what it says it will do
Published on February 14, 2008 by Charles M. Nobles

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost user-friendly... there are better choices
Living in tornado country, you learn to pay attention to the weather.

Published on June 7, 2011 by James Hebert

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, something that does what it says it will do, February 14, 2008
Charles M. Nobles (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
I have a number of so-called weather alert radios. Without fail they all have a myrid of features that really dont have a lot to do with simply giving me a weather forecast for my area. This one does, in a simple, straight-forward manner, provide me with a weather forecast and alert if I so choose, and thats basically it. It doesn't fry eggs, give the weather for China, text message, or any other questionably related functions. It is lightweight, simple to use and does what they say it will do.
What will they think of next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Gear - Simple, Reliable, Smart, June 5, 2008
Shawn S. (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
I am absolutely delighted with this weather radio and have been recommending it to everyone I know! Having been frustrated by complicated radios that require code inputs depending on where you are, this one that you simply turn "on" is a huge relief. It automatically picks up the nearest NOAA signal. Last weekend it gave me, and several other campers huddled around it atop a mountain, the regional weather information (crystal clear reception) that we needed to make travel decisions. Last night, it gave me and colleagues critical information to plan commutes. When tornado watches have extended beyond bedtime, I simply click the lever up one more notch to "alert" knowing it will signal if severe weather happens overnight. This unit is a tremendous bargain. It's sleek, fits in a small purse. Anyone who lives east of the Rockies should have one of these nearby during tornado and hurricane season. I have two of these devices so that one will remain in my car and one will be in my purse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and Basic: Great for Bicycle Trips and Camping!, April 10, 2008
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
I have an old portable AM/FM radio with weather band, but I was looking for something really compact with a weather alert feature that could be carried in a pocket or fanny pack. This one fits the bill. A nice feature: of the seven channels, it automatically scans for the strongest signal in your area. You can also cycle through all available channels manually. Simple to use with the quality of Midland!

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost user-friendly... there are better choices, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
Living in tornado country, you learn to pay attention to the weather.

Too many weather radios have tried to do too much, resulting in a product that's well-intended but baffling to operate. Or worse, one that underperforms in a critical area - reception! It's no good if you can't pick up a NOAA station, and having to hold the radio this way, that way, higher or lower, is unacceptable. In an emergency, your attention needs to be focused, not distracted.

So the idea of a small radio that just handles "picking up weather without any work" sounds great on paper, but it fails in execution. This radio never gets past just plain 'good'.

In short, here's how I would review the unit I received, from best to worst, and why:
* very simple operation (on/off/alert, 5 out of 5)
* good reception (sometimes requires "playing antenna," 4 out of 5)
* fair audio (from an average speaker, 3 out of 5)
* does not lock onto strongest signal (instead, locks onto first one it finds, 3 out of 5)
* no feedback while scanning (no sound at all, no indication that it's working, 2 out of 5)
* no indication of power status (unless you look at the switch position, 1 out of 5)
* no indication of battery power left (0 out of 5)

The operation is simple. The reception and audio quality are average, which I found disappointing but not a showstopper. The lack of feedback during scanning is more irksome. The lack of feedback (knowing power is on or off, or low) is a product killer. If I can't tell that I left it on, or that my batteries are low, how can I be sure this will have power to work when I need it? This unit needs to be able to beep, or blink an LED, when power is low. Better would be a power plug so I can run it off an adapter, and a switch to choose my power source (batteries or AC). But all this adds to the cost. And, for not much more, there's a better option I'll point out below.

The scan does not seem to lock onto the strongest signal but the first one it deems receivable. In my area, I have a weaker broadcast on one NOAA channel, and a stronger local broadcast on another. The radio locks onto the weaker one first. If you are aware that these stations are in different areas, this can matter a LOT when an alert is sounded. The one you listen to will have different information.

Finally, you get ALL alerts or NONE. At first I was not bothered by this, but then I realized that it means I'm going to hear all kinds of alerts that will not pertain to me. I'm in Kansas... am I really going to be awakened to a tsunami warning? I have a more costly office weather radio by Reecom (I like a LOT, it's the best I've owned yet, but I still have not found "the best") that allows me to study lengthy charts and set up both the kinds of alerts I want to know about, and the counties where these alerts happen. I understand Midland wanted to keep it simple. But this isn't it.

I bought the Midland and an Eton FR160 at the same time, for different purposes. I have a relative who is challenged by multi-button, multi-function interfaces, so the simpler Midland sounded like a great solution. However, for only $12 more, the Eton FR160 outclasses and outperforms this one. And guess what? It's pretty simple to use, too! I will be buying a few more of the Eton's for their: better reception (no "playing antenna), rechargeable battery (via a dynamo winder, or solar panel), AM/FM, and built-in LED light. The Eton has a few additional features, but for my uses they are less useful.

So, is the Midland a good or bad radio? Depends on your needs, and how you intend to use it. If I were a hiker, where every ounce counts, I might use the Midland for weekend hikes or camping. There may be other times it fits other specific activities, too. But for me, I prefer the Eton. It's not much heavier, and it is somewhat bulkier, but it offers much more that I "DO" want, and less of what I "DON'T" want, an a weather radio.

Let me put it this way: worst case, I forget to turn off both units and the power drains to zero (neither one has a low battery warning, after all). But when an emergency comes, which one can I still use? The Eton. I can turn the crank and get light, radio, and weather. With the Midland, I'm still in the dark, looking for 3 more AAA batteries.

I rest my case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Weather Radio, January 13, 2009
Robert T. Ferrigan (Isle of Palms, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
I bought this radio hoping it would be OK and I would not have to ship it back. I was pleasantly suprised at what a good job this little (it is very small) radio does. It has had no problems receiving broadcasts and delivers clear crisp sound that is easily controlled for volume. It automatically searches for the strongest signal and is a no brainer to operate. I highly recommend it to campers and hikers and anyone that has a need for a small easily carried weather radio. It can also be set for alert mode whereby it will automatically come on if it receives an alert signal from NOAA. It has both a belt clip and a wrist strap. Well worth the small price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio!, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
This is exactly what I've been looking for. Very compact, simple to use, good reception, what more could you ask for. The price is also reasonable. My first CB base station was a Midland when I was a kid so I know I can trust them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little Weather Radio, December 16, 2008
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
Small and lightweight. Autoscan worked well and immediately went to weather station which gave local weather report.Volume control increased sound to nice level. Very good sound quality for small unit.Alert option nice extra. Easy to use. Worked better than my larger weather radio w/o autoscan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Midland HH50 works as advertised, February 6, 2009
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
Just like this review, no bells or whistles on this radio. It works like it is supposed to.

The receiver is not super sensitive but very acceptable for what it was intended to do. The speaker is rather small but you can't put anything bigger in it. No bells or whistles but for the price you shouldn't expect any.

I bought this for my brother. He often drives from Louisville, Ky. to Indianapolis and the weather can be quite different there. He suffers lacerations at the cutting edge of technology. All he needs is something he can turn on and hear the weather. He doesn't care how many channels are available. This radio fits him fine. He turns it on, it finds a channel with a signal, he hears the weather report.

Here's the bottom line. If you need a no frills radio at a bargain basement price, I'd take a look at this one. This could also be a great radio for campers or backpackers. It's light weight and if you happened to loose it it's not like loosing that $98.99, do everyting radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars a christmas present for a hunter, January 7, 2008
Paula C. Kessler (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
I gave this weather alert radio to my husband for christmas and he's been talking about it ever since. he likes everything about it. He has used other products by Midland and indicates that the brand is very reliable. It's easy to use and a great size for carrying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weather Must Have, June 25, 2009
M. H. Schrank (Castle Rock, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio (Electronics)
Purchased my Midland HH50 Weather radio almost a year ago. It works well delivering weather forecasts & storm alerts as needed. We take it with us in our vehicle when we travel and it has proven to give peace of mind in tricky weather situations. A worthy investment. Batteries wear down a bit quickly, but not any real issue.

Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio