Most helpful critical review
104 of 109 people found the following review helpful
Good weather radio, setting beep loud and annoying
on July 5, 2010
This is a good weather radio.
- It allows you to program the S.A.M.E. codes for weather alerts for selected counties.
- The speaker can reach a good volume without distortion.
- Reception of weather signal is very good.
- Travel mode enables easy finding of strongest signal
- Alert can be display, tone, or tone followed by voice
- Rechargeable battery with dock
- Feels nice in the hand, good grip
- Strong belt clip
So why only 3 stars?
Any button press produces a loud beep. Even button presses to turn the volume all the way down produce loud beeps. There is no way that I can find to turn this "feature" off. This should be a no-brainer for Midland. All of my other electronic devices that have a beep option have the ability to turn it off.
If you wanted to listen to the weather forecast and had family or roommates sleeping and you wanted to turn the volume down to not bother them, in order to turn the volume down you would have to press the volume button several times, with each time making a loud beep.
If you wanted to set the alarm for the next day, and had family or roommates sleeping, each button press needed to set the alarm would produce a loud beep.
I hope that I am overlooking something and that there is a way to turn the beeping off. If that is the case, I will be happy to delete this review and post a 5 star review.