4.0 out of 5 stars Hit the slopes with these radios!
Published on January 3, 2011 by B. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Walkie Talkies
Great for the price, and range is good. Do wish they'd incorporated a more accurate power monitor and an easier way to change channels, but overall, they're pretty functional.
Published on December 30, 2010 by Sharonkt1

4.0 out of 5 stars Hit the slopes with these radios!, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Midland LXT490VP3 26-Mile 36-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Electronics)
Picked up these radios along with the Midland AVPH3 security-style headsets before hitting the slopes of Tahoe for some skiing/snowboarding. The radios functioned better than I was expecting, carrying the signal from one side of the mountain to the other in "Low" signal power. We paired up with others in our group who were using Motorola radios (just put them on the same channel and sub-channel). Also, I recommend those AVPH3 headsets (already reviewed), and would recommend them to pair with these radios if you need your hands free (think sporting activities).

Likes:
-Size; these guys are small enough to throw in a pocket
-Removable clips; for our needs, we removed the belt clips so they had a lower profile and slipped into pockets better
-Range of features; turned off "Roger beep" because it was getting annoying on the slopes. Also liked the VOX sensitivity settings
-Fairly intuitive menus once you've taken a moment to go through what each means in the booklet
-Distance/range; I don't think we ever switched over to GMRS, yet still had pretty clear transmissions across different parts of the mountains
-Ease of use; turn them on, match up the channels and sub-channels (or "privacy codes") and they work. Simple as that.
-Rechargeable batteries OR AAA batteries; Love that I don't have to buy new batteries all the time because of the rechargeable pack that comes with these radios, yet can throw 4x AAA batteries in each if the rechargeable batteries die.

Dislikes:
-So far, few dislikes!
-Rechargeable battery was decent, not great (as mentioned by others), but the battery level indicator gave no warning before the batteries totally died. Power said full toward the end of the first day on the slopes, then suddenly died. Turning the power back on would give 30 seconds of juice, still showing full power, then died.
-Wish there were rubber seals over the optional headset jacks (weather seals)

Overall, so far I'm quite happy with these, and the price is great. Can't wait to try them out while on long bike rides or playing paintball. Actively seeking out new uses for these because I love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radios!, November 1, 2010
We purchased these Midland radios for our manufacturing plant. Bought 4 of them on the same day. The radios are just as described and works well in a concrete
building going thru numerous walls. Would certainly recommend and re-purchase this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, October 6, 2010
Got these for paintball / airsoft in the woods. Good clarity. Haven't tested the limits of the range. The battery packs that came with it are NiMH which is perfect for me and my partial charge behaviors. Also the fact you can swap in regular batteries if needed was a good selling point for me. The beeps are annoying but they can be turned off (essential when sneaking around in the bushes).

Please note it really only has 22 channels like all FRS/GMRS radios. The additional 14 channels they boast are just preset sub-channels (privacy codes).

Great but for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad For Close Contacts, January 13, 2012
I just got these and they are not bad if your looking to stay in contact with one another in the general area but forget about the 26 mile range that they specify unless your over water or in an unobstrusted area and even that will be a challenge for this type of unit. I charged them up for 24 hours as specified and tested them out in my neighborhood at street level and was lucky to get 1 mile in the GMRS high power mode but when I did get through it was clear. I recently went on a cruise and used two older regular FRS radios that I had on the ship to stay in touch with my wife and they worked great for that. I was also able to stay in touch with friends on an Island 5 miles off shore of the ship but that was over water. When I returned from the cruise I decided to purchase these radios just to see how they would work. I am a licensed ham radio operator and I use regular ham radio equipment and have hand held radios (HTs) that give me 5 watts of power so I was curious too see how these units would perform and they will not match the performance of my ham radio equipment because they can't deliver the same power but if your looking for radios to keep in touch with in a mile or so these are nice radios with some useful features and have a good feel to them and you really can't go wrong for the price, I'm happy with them for what they are and what they can do and they will come in handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best i had so far, August 3, 2010
This radios are great. First thing that on the FRS channel i managed to get around 2 miles in the city comparing that uniden 26 miles radios game me not even half of that. Radios really nice, small in the hand, am gonna be using them for paintball. Only thing i dont like is little pain in the butt weather channel thing. Otherwise these are the best. I had motorolla, few unidens, i had trisquare....So far midland is on the top shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Work Great, May 14, 2011
C. V. Dolah (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
I am an electrical contractor. I use these to keep in contact with employess whike working at various job site. Will transmit through cement walls, building floors, ect. They work great, and are easy to opperate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midland LXT490VP3, March 19, 2012
I ordered these to take on a snowboarding trip and to use in the RV. I was impressed with the range when using GMRS channels. From the top of the mountain I was able to communicate with people inside of our rented cabin about a mile away. While on the mountain we had great coverage when we were dispersed. These radios are small enough to throw in your jacket pocket and not so bulky that it's an inconvenience to carry. The battery life was good, was able to go out two days without charging, recharged after this just to be safe. The radios had no problem with use during heavy snow or temperatures down in the teens. I did not use the weather radio at all, so no input for this feature. Over all I think for the price of these radios it was a bargain, and would buy them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midland 26-Mile 36 Channel FRS/GMRS Two Way Radio Pair, January 6, 2012
I'm going on a cruise with my sig. other later this year, and wanted a solution to avoid a huge cellphone bill that would allow us to keep in contact. So we went with these. We've tried them out around the house and they're clear as a bell. We also purchased the CIA style earplugs that are made by Midland and attach to these walkies allowing someone to keep the walkie in their pocket and have the cable curled out of the ear. I know that for the longest range you're supposed to pay for a license but for us, we just want a way to stay in touch on the ship and while we are on excursions on whatever carribean island we're on, so we should be fine with the lower range channels, which I think start at channel 8. They also come with rechargeable batteries and take regular batteries if the rechargeables wear out AAs I think. Since I haven't had extensive use of these yet, I'm not sure how well they'll operate being used a lot, but when we tested them out, they worked really well, loud and clear. Also, if there's ever a disaster, we'll have a way to communicate with each other without worrying about cell towers etc. I think it's a good thing to have for emergencies too. They also come with a nice plug in base that keeps them charged up and holds them for you when not in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great radios!, January 3, 2011
These are great radios for the price. the FRS picked up about 1.5 miles in wooded flat areas and about 1 mile when the two radios were in valleys separated by one hill ( hill elevation is 900 ft, valley floor at 500 ft). I bought four and sent one out to the 1.5 mile marker and 3 at home base. The only issue was radio hopping at home base where one of the three would pick up a piece of the conversation, and the other two would pick up other pieces of the conversation. In other words, in a six word sentence one would get two of the words, stop, the next would get the next two words, stop, and the third would get the rest of the sentence. The home base radios were about 15 feet apart. I don't think this is a problem had we separated those three but we didn't work on the distance of separation needed to stop the hopping. Also, you can only use channels 8-14 (maybe 8-15...can't remember) without paying the expensive FCC charge. Also the advertised NOAA weather is only available on the GMRS channels. I thought we might have one frequency available on the FRS but you couldn't pick-up anything. This is why I gave it a 4 star instead of 5. I believe the advertising of 26 mile is misleading (even for GMRS) but it appears all the radio manu's do it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Walkie Talkies, December 30, 2010