4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the competition
Published 13 months ago by S. Morrison

Published 5 months ago by B. Seals

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the competition, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Midland XTC280VP1080p HD Wearable Action Camera with Image Stabilization, Submersible Case and Universal Mount (Black/Silver) (Electronics)
The video this little camera produces is beyond comparison, true 1080p HD 16:9 video. For the price you get a very good product. Additional, separately purchased mounting accessories allow the user many options. It is true that you don't get a user manual, but that takes less then a minute to download from the Midland website. I use this camera to record my daily commute to work and I get plenty of good video of bad drivers. The main reason for recording your commutes (even to the grocery store) is protection. If an accident occurs, there is no doubt what happened, you have it recorded. Being able to have the Police view the video on there patrol computer at the accident scene greatly helps when determining who was at fault (just make sure it wasn't you). Doesn't get 5-stars because the USB cable is way to short and does not come with a vehicle charging adapter. Although a vehicle charger adapter is available from Midland, you will need to find a longer USB cable from another source, not a big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly great little camera, April 21, 2014
I was looking for a helmet cam but didn't want to pay three hundred dollars, so I gave this one a try. It doesn't seem to have a way to set the time and date, but I do that with the video when it is on my computer. I mounted it on a half helmet with the mounting stick on pad they include and it sets well adjusts well and holds it's position. I wore it on a helmet in my truck to the airport this January to pick someone up from the Pittsburgh airport. There was a blizzard going on and I drove from late afternoon daylight to darkness on the way back. It adjusted for light and dark, car headlights, street lights, and natural daylight in a great way. The picture was clear no graininess in a downpour of snow by my truck headlights. The resulting film looked just like the actual scenes and lighting was in reality. For the price this is one great little camera. It comes with a waterproof clear case, a mounting bracket with Velcro sticky pad and sticky glue pads to attach it to your surface whether it is helmet or something else. The sound pickup mike is okay, just don't expect to make a music video with it. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a great camera for whitewater canoeing, mountain bike, ATV, dirt bike racing, sky diving, motorcycle trips, car trips, just about anything. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For hunting and lots more., June 12, 2014
This is an awesome little camera. I bought it to take on my first bear hunt. I had it in my pocket the entire trip up and back. Capturing clips along the way. Easy to use. Lots of mounting options. I put a sticky mount to my bow and used the hat clip.

One BIG advantage of this cam over the Go Pro (that my buddy purchased) is that the indicator lights are on top of the camera and out of site from the game seeing them. His Go Pro had lights on the front face which the bears didn't like. He finally taped over them. I also like the LxWxD dimensions a lot better then the Go Pro. The other advantage over the Go Pro is this camera has a standard camera thread mount on it. The Go Pro does not. This allowed me to use it on the same mounts as my normal video camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midland has Produced a Gem at a selling price of Less Than $100. Worth it's Weight in Gold, July 18, 2014
This is a terrific little camera that is small enough to conceal on the front dashboard of your car, cover it so nobody knows it's a camera, then drive around Cairo, Egypt trying to capture the essence of Egypt since the revolution and counter-revolution.

Hmmm, which means some of my secrets aren't so secret anymore...

Of course, there are some downsides:
1 - no way to charge while using.
2 - without a good Velcro anchor, the cam tends to roll, or try to roll, with every moderately sharp turn.
3 - it is impossible to view the video live, since their is no LCD screen.
4 - your only view is a wide angle screen.

Still, for intimate, discreet videos, I highly recommend the Midland XTC280.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, Great Price, May 25, 2014
This is a very nice camera for the price. Most POV cameras are trying to be a GoPro and come now were close, even though their price is. Those the quick pros of this camera are no software downloads, plug and play via USB (view/transfer video as well as charge), a variety of mounts available from Midland (handlebar/tube mount, suction cup car mount, universal sticky mounts, helmet mount, goggle mount, etc). This camera also shoots very good video. Video is crisp and clear. The camera also shoots well in lower light. Video stabilization is also very good. I have used while mountain biking and the video only gets shaky on the really rough stuff, but remember this isn't a $200+ GoPro. My only main complaint of this camera is the mic. Sound comes through extremely muffled and really only pic up very loud talking or noises and also picks up noise if you move or touch the camera while filming. Overall it's great and you don't want to spend a ton of money this camera is a good option and should suit you well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Buy GoPro when the XTC280 is SO DARN GOOD ???, July 3, 2014
SanPa (MPLS, MN USA) - See all my reviews
GoPro at 1/3rd the price. Quite solid construction with a great accompaniment of accessories. The optical stabilization feature is quite impressive. No WiFi feature ... Big deal. About 2.5 hr. of constant recording time on a charge. Video is saved in 10 minute segments that can be spliced or processed separately.

My planned use was as a dash cam, but it seems like I'll buy an extra battery ... and put the camera to fun uses as well: like attaching it to the bow or stern of my sons's boat, attaching it to a riding helmet, and attaching it to the front of my daughter's ATV. Seriously ... this little bugger is so good and well priced, that I am wondering if shorting GoPro's stock might in fact be a great investment opportunity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for 1st time Purchase, June 19, 2014
Overall, I like this camera, and am pleased since it is my first "action camera" purchase. The case guards against water and is well protected!

Prior to purchase, I posed the question to the Amazon community for how it works under water in snorkel situations. No one responded. So I can say that it works well, but only in sunlight. It does not shoot anything without some kind of light, (even if you can see without light) for instance, in a cave, or underground river. This was disappointing that none of my underground river footage was captured, and of course, since you cannot verify this on the spot, time and energy can be wasted. So if you use this camera, make sure it is in well-lit areas.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... bought the camera for a helmet cam to get better footage of my riding especially offroad, August 28, 2014
i bought the camera for a helmet cam to get better footage of my riding especially offroad ..... ive tried using the other cams i have, a samsung, and a casio exilim and this XTC280 has a very good picture compared to those and feels very good build quality, but what was disappointing is the view, its not near as wide angle as i'd hoped .. both of my 'regular' cams have a wider viewing angle unzoomed and what that boils down to is that when your moving about 60mph through trails, the XTC although capturing a very high quality footage, doesnt immerse you in the experience and it appears on film as though youre moving at 10mph .. impossible to capture your bars and front fender with the trail in front of you . .. in short, its ok but not all that great for getting killer riding footage .. the mic sucks to, i tried a rubber band over the hole and it only kills wind noise below about 10mph, above that and i imagine it needs to be in the waterproof case to cut noise because of the interaction of wind on the body and switches ect, havent tried it in the clear case .. so in summary, its not what i consider a wide angle cam, as i said compared to my other regular cams i would call it zoomed to 2X at least, and the micis no better than a regular cams mic and probably not quite as good, you will have to get creative with tying an old sock around the case or something to get the best sound with wind involved .....

4.0 out of 5 stars No frills action cam that captures your action., September 30, 2014
Nice little action cam. No frills, few bells or whistles. But it produces a good clear image (when it isn't being shaken all around). I wish there were a means to set the date and time as figuring out what I just shot is a little more difficult than it needs to be.

Decent sound capture and a nice little cam, not as good as a GoPro but, for a third the price, a really good deal!

Battery life is sub-optimal, imo. I go for long bikes and paddles, I'm not interested in having to swap out batteries to keep recording my rides.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice item, October 14, 2014
takes great video, but if its raining you cant hear the audio so don't bother.

I use this attached to my hunting hat.

used a rubber washer and the screw that comes in the box to mount to my hat by drilling a hole in the brim big enough to get the screw through tightly (saw on youtube)

takes nice vid of my shooting my bow.

took on a squirrel after the rain and still got decent vid of my bow