The Midnight Meat Train (Unrated Director's Cut)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Vinnie Jones when used properly in roles like this, is one scary dude. He only has one line towards the end, but his stare alone says everything his mouth isn't. Bradley Cooper is likeable as the lead and the rest of the cast is decent.
You gotta love the gore here. It would make any fan of old school horror films proud. There was a little CGI used, but it didn't really get in the way. The visual style and cinematography are very good as well.
The only negatives would have to be that some of the dialogue is below average and certain characters do some really dumb things, but this is a horror movie, right? It comes with the territory.
The Midnight Meat Train deserved a wider release and will likely gain a strong following on DVD. One thing is for sure, I won't even think about riding on a subway train again.
3 and 1/2 out of 5 stars
Japanese cult cinema prodigy Ryuhei Kitamura has done it again. But this time he has taken his anarchic genius and tossed us Westerners a bone by directing this American film based on a short story by Clive Barker. The result is spectacular at times and entertaining throughout. Kitamura is best known for his B-classic Versus and best loved by me for his modern samurai masterpiece Azumi. He has never made a bad film and remains a director whose latest works I anticipate with baited breath. In the past, the biggest problems with his films have been budget-related, though he proved he can make a decent flick with only two real cast members in a single room with almost no special effects in Aragami: The Raging God of Battle. Well, with a modest (but large for him) American budget and a damn fine cast including Brooke Shields and Vinnie Jones (he's STILL the Juggernaut, b!+ch!), Kitamura has staked his claim in Western horror and I like what I see. A lot. In fact, there are shades of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre throughout.Read more ›
I just watched The Midnight Meat Train and I must say it's a great horror movie. It's certainly a fun ride that is gruesome, brutal, and hard to watch. It has beautiful visuals, and the gore is eye pleasing! The acting is great (Especially Jones, he freaked me out), and is a breath of fresh air. So I'll try something different with my review here:
1. Yes the title is pretty cheesy, but it didn't distract me from the movie at all. It does indeed sound like the name of a porno. But looking past the cheesy title, it actually relates to the events in the movie.
2. It does stay faithful to the short story, and is the best CB adaptation.
3. Vinnie Jones is the bomb in this. He IS Mahogany. He really just pours himself into the role here. No effort required- he even looks like the last guy you'd wanna run into.
4. This movie is VERY gory. I was actually squirming in a few scenes, but in other places the gore was obviously CGI, but that didn't detract from the movie. I'm a gore hound and I even cringed at a few bits.
5. Ted Raimi makes a short cameo in this.
6. This film takes a VERY unexpected twist at the end. I, for one, was completely gob-smacked and did NOT see it coming. It was a well-done twist that you'll be shocked by when you see it.
7. The only thing I disliked is that at 100 minutes it actually felt longer, perhaps more like 2 hours and 15 minutes. I thought the fight scene on the train was the ending, but nope, I was wrong.
8.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love my movies in extended versions and this film definitely holds a place in my growing collection of good films to watch.Published 4 days ago by ArmyVet88
I was surprised at how the film used unique cinematography artfully done then added a combination of Science Fiction with Horror. Read morePublished 17 days ago by C.C.
This didn't disappoint. I've read the book and this was an awesome adaptation. It's defo a must-watch.Published 22 days ago by Michael P.
I loved every bit of this movie. The ending couldn't have been any better!Published 1 month ago by Arnie J.
I just watched this for the first time the other night. It's full of gore and the story is something new.Published 2 months ago by victor coleman