5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Her best in a while.
Published on January 11, 2010 by Janet

STORY BRIEF:
When James was eight, he became an orphan after watching his father hang for a crime he didn't commit. James survived with a group of pickpockets. After two years, Lord Claybourne became a foster parent to James and provided an education. As an adult, James works for Scotland Yard.

Eleanor and Elisabeth were twins. Their father had a title...
Published on November 2, 2009 by Jane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for romance, mystery & intrigue. Dialogue & character development could have been better. It was missing something special., November 2, 2009
Jane (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
STORY BRIEF:

Eleanor and Elisabeth were twins. Their father had a title but no money. He sent Elisabeth to a relative in London who sponsored her for a season in hopes of finding a husband. She was raped by Lord Rockberry and returned home in disgrace. She then killed herself. Eleanor wants revenge and goes to London planning to kill Lord Rockberry. She follows him. He tells Scotland Yard his life is in danger and asks them to do something. James is assigned to follow Eleanor and discover her intentions. James and Eleanor end up falling for each other while keeping secrets from each other.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
The author had an intricate plot with interesting twists and turns, but I didn't find myself enjoying it as much as I would have liked. It was ok, but I would have preferred more interesting dialogue or something special about the characters. I wanted to be a little more surprised or delighted in order to give it more stars.

DATA:
Story length: 372 pages (using larger than normal print). Swearing language: mild. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: 4. Total number of sex scene pages: 28. Setting: 1852 London and a coastal town in England. Copyright: 2009. Genre: historical romantic mystery with suspense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good twists and turns, but romance lacking, November 7, 2009
statengirl (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the fourth installment in Heath's "Scoundrels of St. James" series about five orphans from the slums who have risen to the top levels of society. It is a good series, particularly the first two books, "In Bed with the Devil" and "Between the Devil and Desire," which are excellent. This latest entry, like the last, is OK but is nothing out of the ordinary. The story's hero is (orphan) James Swindler, who is now a top inspector for Scotland Yard. James is assigned to investigate a beautiful woman whom a lord, a marquess, believes is out to kill him. James winds up rescuing the woman - Eleanor Watkins - from attackers and soon falls in love with her. However, he does not tell her that he is a detective or that he has her under surveillance. Eleanor figures it out anyway and decides she can use it to her advantage. She DOES want to kill the lord - for causing her sister's death - and maybe James can be her alibi. She risks forfeiting her relationship with James, whom she has grown to love, but she cannot let go of her need for vengeance.

This book had some good twists and turns, but the suspense was better than the romance, and I never felt strongly invested in the hero and heroine. Their relationship was sweet enough, but it lacked passion and chemistry. They fell in love almost instantly without any buildup of feelings or sexual tension. And deaths and unpleasant memories hovered over them, taking away from the romance. Both leads seemed underdeveloped. In fact, James seemed more interesting in a supporting role in prior books than he did as the star of this one. And Eleanor revealed very little about herself other than her desire for revenge. Her relationship and conversations with her sister were particularly sparse and not what I would expect from the story line.

Heath has a nice conversational writing style, the suspense angle kept me interested, and I remain fond of this series. But the lead characters and romance lacked intensity, and ultimately this book was just OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Her best in a while., January 11, 2010
I absolutely could not put this book down. I would have read it straight through if it hadn't gotten so late. In my mind this is Heath's best book in a while. The whole series has been good, but this one stands out for me. Yes, I agree there could have been a bit more character or relationship development before James and Eleanor fell in love, but that was eclipsed by all I thought was great about the book. The story kept me on edge. Eleanor was a strong, but sweet heroine and it was touching to read about James finally putting his unrequited love for Frannie behind him and finding his true love. What really sold me on the book was the surprise twist midway through. It caught me completely off guard and I loved it. It added a complexity and depth to the characters and the emotions. Then what James revealed added even more complex emotions. The twists and turns from there on out kept me buried in the story. And it ended sweetly. What more could I want in a romance from one of my favorite authors?

Now, if Ms. Heath would write some westerns again I'd be a happy camper! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been a really great book., October 31, 2009
Plot is good. You kind of think you have solved the mystery way ahead of time, but then there's a bit of a twist at the end to make it more enjoyable. Likeable hero and heroine. And there's the whole it's a part of this Feagan's ex-street-urchins series that makes you have to read it because you have read all the other ones (but you don't have to have read the others to enjoy this one). So I like it, but... The hero James Swindler has been in love with his fellow ex-urchin Fanny for forever. She marries someone else in the previous book of the series, but his loves endures. Until he catches sight of the heroine of this book and now it's a whole other ballgame. Quite an about-face which wouldn't seem so abrupt if it had been developed more. I guess that's my whole problem with the book. It needed more words. And not just any words. For example, not more love scenes. It needed more plot and character development and then it would have been a way better book, because it has a lot of promise.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love a great scoundrel!, November 19, 2009
T. L. Fentress (Bowling Green, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I have adored this whole series by Lorraine Heath from it's inception. Once I read the first book in the series I was completely sucked in and anxiously awaited the next in the series never being disappointed. In fact this series lead me to read all of Ms Heath's other books and now I am probably her biggest fan. I absolutely LOVE the writing style of this author. This book is no exception. I have to admit the preceding books in the series were, well, better,but, this one still moved and touched my heart in pretty much the same way as all the others. My one issue with this book in comparison to the others in the series was the growing love between the two main characters wasn't quite as developed. It happened a bit too quick. Ms Heath didn't take the same slow and progressing amount of time for them to fall in love with each other as she normally does in her other books. We as the reader weren't given as much storyline to take in and character development as she normally uses for them to fall in love ,and, to me that is her trademark. It is what makes me not want to ever put her books down. And I did many times during the first half of the book so there definitely was something missing for me. However, I still fell in love with James Swindler as I do all her heroes. I still cared greatly for Emma (the heroine) and her sister and the whole reason Emma and Swindler were brought together, although quite sad and moving, made for a fantastic story even still. There was a twist I wasn't expecting. There was anxiety I experienced. There was that tension building up in me nearing the end of the story. Then there were even tears (for a more personal reason) because Ms Heath always manages to close her stories with such beauty and tenderness and creates this whole world you as the reader can so appreciate and only dream to be a part of yourself thinking if only it could be like that for me someday. So even though I can only give it 4 stars because the preceding books were better, I still loved it and am still sad the series is over. I adored the Scoundrels of St James...what wonderful and glorious men (and woman-Frannie) they all became. Well done Ms. Heath once again. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, January 5, 2013
I LOVED THIS BOOK THAT'S PRETTY MUCH ALL I GOT TO SAY. ALL OF THE FOUR I'VE READ WERE GOOD I COULDN'T PUT MY KINDLE DOWN. I HOPE THE AUTHOR DOES A STORY FOR MR GRAVES. But I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE WHO LOVES A GOOD ROMANCE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Twist I Thought I Saw Coming!, January 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this one because the plot twist turned out to be pretty original-- and then there turned out to be multiple twists. As others have mentioned, the romance itself didn't sizzle quite as much as the other romances in this series, but the characters were strong, likable, intelligent and clearly in love. And they have some pretty exciting adventures with each other and with other characters I'd grown attached to while reading the earlier books in the series. If you haven't read the rest of the Feagan gang series, don't start here (you'll feel like you're missing something,) but by all means, do pick up the rest of the books and read them all together!

4.0 out of 5 stars midnight pleasures with a scoundrel, November 2, 2009
good book but the characters were lacking.loved all her other books so a bit disappointed

2.0 out of 5 stars "And I thought LH could never disappoint me", April 20, 2010
pen pen (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Talk about boring. I have to say I really expected so much more from Swindler's story. OMG...The story was very slow. I did not like the chemistry between the hero and heroine. The love scenes were so weak. All I can say is UGH!! No hot sex scenes. It took me two weeks to get through this book and I almost did not make it to the end. This is the worst in this series. I hope Dr. Williams Graves's story is much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another heartwarming romance by Ms. Heath!, October 31, 2009
KBT "KBT" (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Lorraine Heath continually provides the most heartwarming, romantic stories one can read. She is able to evoke such tenderness from her characters and just when you think the plot borders on "saccharine" the dialogue and/or love scenes pull it together. She laced our favorite characters from Fegan's gang into James romance bringing the story up a notch, add another great epilogue into the mix and you will be well rewarded for your time. 4.5

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›